This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

Source

So, as E3 approaches, I guess leaks get inevitable. Here's one. Shows Rayman Legends, follow-up to Origins with new characters, a slightly different style and online multiplayer. Oh, and Wii U tablet features that, personally, I don't really care for based on what's shown in that video.

#2 Posted by owack6 (314 posts) -

This better not be a WIIU exclusive.

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

@owack6: The trailer says "Wii U exclusive features", so I'm guessing it'll be out for other platforms, too.

#4 Posted by Julmust (1640 posts) -

Looks cool! Definitely buying it, if it's out for the Wii U at the same time as the other I'll get it that way and get 1080p Rayman.

#5 Posted by DeF (5360 posts) -

this is pretty rad!

also includes NFC features ...

I'll be getting this!

#6 Posted by TheRamboFetus (52 posts) -

That Ezio Skylander's thing is such a cliff hanger.

#7 Posted by KneehighPark (17 posts) -

Sweet trailer. I managed to download it, in the event it gets taken down :P

#8 Posted by Masha2932 (1336 posts) -

@KneehighPark: How do you download it I was trying to figure out how to do it. Thanks.

#9 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

@Masha2932 said:

@KneehighPark: How do you download it I was trying to figure out how to do it. Thanks.

I did it with RealPlayer.

#10 Posted by ZeForgotten (10368 posts) -

All I heard was Back to the Future music at the end.. 
I want it just because of that

#11 Posted by IAmNotBatman (701 posts) -

So you can use Wii controllers on Wii U? That's pretty cool since it means I hopefully won't have to buy more than one of those probably expensive video/controller things. More on topic, I would love another Rayman: Origins style game but most likely won't be getting it for this console.

#12 Posted by I_smell (4219 posts) -

OH!!... OH, NOW I GET IT, the Wii U is a Skylanders. That's it's thing. Alright.

God, finally, something interesting about the Wii U.

#13 Posted by Moncole (666 posts) -

Wiii U=best version

#14 Posted by DeF (5360 posts) -

@IAmNotBatman: @I_smell: just curious: did you guys miss out on ALL the Wii U news since last year? cause the Wiimote-support thing was announced at E3 and was in all the videos/promo pics and the NFC stuff was announced in January and everybody made "Oh, Pokémon ... right Nintendo?" jokes.

#15 Posted by RoboRobb (1091 posts) -

eeeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Avatar image for machofantastico
#16 Edited by MachoFantastico (6283 posts) -

Looks fun, need to play Origins though to.  

People seem to be wetting themselves about the graphics on some sites... not sure about that. After all it's style will always generally look good (look at Origins) and I think it's fair to expect the Wii U can hold it's own graphics wise. Still not a fan of that controller tho, going to take me time to get use to I think. Love the idea of Ezio in Rayman tho :D

#17 Posted by lord_canti (1679 posts) -

awwwww shiiit ezio is gonna jack up some rabbids

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

Looks fun, the Wii U controller on the other hand looks bland and cliche.

Still hoping for E3 to blow me away.

#19 Posted by sionweeks (714 posts) -

I normally dislike the people in the trailers because of the cheesefest, but this was horrible.

#20 Posted by sterbacblu (271 posts) -

This looks great. Hope they don't completely abandon the hand drawn look of Origins for any future games, but this still has an awesome style. No interest in the Skylanders-esque way of importing characters. Also hope this and another New SMB aren't the only side scrollers on Wii U. Maybe there could be, oh I don't know, a 2D Metroid? That second screen would be super handy for a map and weapon switching...

...it's nice to want things.

#21 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12540 posts) -

So...I guess this sort of confirms that the WiiU can still only use one screen controller at a time? Maybe not, I guess, but...

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#22 Posted by Redhotchilimist (1540 posts) -

Jeff is going to freak out about the Skylanders-like properties of that controller. I wonder if most games will do this.

#23 Posted by HydraHam (1380 posts) -

Fantastic trailer! Can't wait to get my hands on a wii-u.

#24 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2269 posts) -

Sweet use of Back to The Future music.

#25 Posted by DeF (5360 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

So...I guess this sort of confirms that the WiiU can still only use one screen controller at a time? Maybe not, I guess, but...

no, I see no reason to see this as confirmation either way.

the main control option will be the Wii U pad and multiplayer just uses regular pads because you don't need to have 4 people using touch screens for every multiplayer game. we'll know at E3.

#26 Posted by Winternet (8397 posts) -

Every time I only see one tablet controller, I die a bit inside.

#27 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12540 posts) -

@DeF said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

the main control option will be the Wii U pad and multiplayer just uses regular pads because you don't need to have 4 people using touch screens for every multiplayer game. we'll know at E3.

Because everyone knows that true multi-player fun is is when everyone has equal access to the things that can screw everyone else up, and that is much more possible when you have four people with the screen controller all trying to move the same tiny platform.

#28 Edited by Vexxan (4633 posts) -

Thought I recognized the music, the song that starts at 0:47 is from the movie How To Train Your Dragon.

#29 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (754 posts) -

@IAmNotBatman: You won't ever need to buy more than one (Unless yours breaks) because the console only supports one of the WiiU controllers being connected at a time.

#30 Posted by DeF (5360 posts) -

@Kung_Fu_Viking said:

@IAmNotBatman: You won't ever need to buy more than one (Unless yours breaks) because the console only supports one of the WiiU controllers being connected at a time.

not confirmed! that's just speculation based on old info.

@MooseyMcMan said:

@DeF said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Because everyone knows that true multi-player fun is is when everyone has equal access to the things that can screw everyone else up, and that is much more possible when you have four people with the screen controller all trying to move the same tiny platform.

Sure more weird stuff is always fun but it's not essential. they fact that they didn't have it working last year and were clear to say that a controller would be expensive (I'm guessing around Wii Balance Board level-price) suggests that they wouldn't want encourage devs to make games that require multiple Wii U pads. I think it's part of their planning that they know everybody and their grandma has Wiimotes lying around so for these types of multiplayer titles (couch co-op/splitscreen stuff), one player us supposed to act as the "dungeon master" of the session, so to speak.

Thinking of it in terms of tech, I doubt it's possible - assuming they theoretically made it work with up to 4 Wii U pads - to use the screen for much more than simple menu stuff anyway due to the need for the game to render another output for 4 screens.

I'd be fine if they ended up supporting two pads so you could use it in specific split screen co-op games/modes and the rest would be for online co-op exclusively (thinking about the trend of less and less split screen multiplayer support).

As long as the games are designed around that and don't make it less fun because you have to use a Wiimote/CC, things are gonna be fine.

#31 Posted by jacksukeru (6562 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

This was what I was thinking, kinda bummed out about it. It's not ultimate confirmation, but it doesn't look very likely now.

#32 Posted by 71Ranchero (3399 posts) -

I haven't been so excited about a trailer since that Sony Smash Bros. thing.

#33 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Looks fun, the Wii U controller on the other hand looks bland and cliche. Still hoping for E3 to blow me away.

A controller with a big touch screen in the middle is bland and cliche?

#34 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@DeF said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Someone never played Pac-Man Vs.

#35 Posted by FreakAche (3050 posts) -

They're using four tablets at once! THEY'RE USING FOUR TABLETS AT ONCE! FOUR TABLETS AT ONCE!!!!! This could be an exciting e3 after all.

#36 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Looks fun, the Wii U controller on the other hand looks bland and cliche. Still hoping for E3 to blow me away.

I meant the things so far accomplished with it.
Its like the GBA with Four Swords Adventures, only with a touch screen.
#37 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Hailinel said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I meant the things so far accomplished with it. Its like the GBA with Four Swords Adventures, only with a touch screen.

To be fair, all we've really seen so far is one trailer of one actual game in action, and this game is obviously a multiplatform release, so it can't depend too heavily on the controller's unique properties. I'd like to see what Nintendo has in mind for it.

#38 Posted by DeF (5360 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@DeF said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Someone never played Pac-Man Vs.

you mean me or Moosey?

I still have Pac Man vs. sitting in my eBay watch list but I have played a short session of Four Swords Adventures in 2player mode and that was very cool. but since they basically adapted that concept to their Chase-Mii tech demo, it points to players simply having to switch controllers after a round. a nice bonus is that this method allows for five players in that specific case.

Realistically, I don't see many devs developing extra modes for the limited audience that might have 4 Wii U controllers sadly (assuming they are priced far out of the usual controller range). That would be pretty much the same as with the GBA/GCN connection where you had to have 4 GBAs + cables.

What's awesome, though, is that this concept got revived with some added features!

#39 Edited by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Hailinel said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I meant the things so far accomplished with it. Its like the GBA with Four Swords Adventures, only with a touch screen.

To be fair, all we've really seen so far is one trailer of one actual game in action, and this game is obviously a multiplatform release, so it can't depend too heavily on the controller's unique properties. I'd like to see what Nintendo has in mind for it.

Yep, waiting for E3 to blow me away in any case.
Not that I'm complaining about less motion heavy features, the Wii, while fun, drove me crazy at times with its motion control games, but I'd like to see some real use out of the thing and not have it turn into a gimmick again.
I'm sure Nintendo has some great ideas (Pikmin 3 incoming right? That could be great!) but I hope the rest of the dev's also get more creative than slidepad as the Wii-U's cycle progresses.
#40 Posted by DeF (5360 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

They're using four tablets at once! THEY'RE USING FOUR TABLETS AT ONCE! FOUR TABLETS AT ONCE!!!!! This could be an exciting e3 after all.

huh? no, they're using one tablet and the rest are Wiimotes, that's why everyone here is bummed cause they think it means that's confirmation of only 1 tablet supported which it isn't at all.

#41 Posted by Franstone (1455 posts) -

There is something strange about seeing such clean crisp graphics being pumped out of a Nintendo console.

The universe is out of tilt...

Guess I'll believe it once I finally have it in my home.

Better start working on my Christmas wish list.

Wii U

Done!

#42 Posted by Cloudenvy (5893 posts) -

*sees 4 people and only one person using the WiiU controller*

*gets worried*

#43 Posted by BoG (5390 posts) -

It says "Wii U exclusive content." I interpret this to mean that this game will not be Wii U exclusive. Which is all I care about. Rayman Origins was my game of the year last year, and I need some more.

#44 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

Great, can't wait to play this on anything else.

#45 Posted by Getz (3764 posts) -

Well shit now I guess Jeff has to buy this.

#46 Posted by Ghostiet (5832 posts) -

Ezio in Rayman?

HOLY SHIT, FLOATING HIDDEN BLADES

#47 Posted by DeF (5360 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

*sees 4 people and only one person using the WiiU controller*

*gets worried*

doesn't mean anything. mainly because a Wii U controller for a game like that isn't necessary and also because it was an internal prototype video, not a trailer meant for the public.

from joystiq:

The leaked video was "intended as a purely internal demonstrative video, and in NO way represents the final game, the final console or their features," Ubisoft said, referring to the game as "Rayman Origins' sequel." The video was meant for "internal production teams who often create game prototypes with work in progress development kits." In other words, it was a demonstration for the people working on the game, not a demonstration of the game.

#48 Posted by trace (3741 posts) -

Now that there's an article up on the site about this Rayman leak, let's move all further discussion to that thread. Thanks!