really agressive DLC advertising in game

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So I've been playing AC odyssey and enjoying it quite a lot, however this morning as I was playing there is a pop up ad in game for the latest DLC.

This ad comes up every single time you pause, look at your map, go to your abilities, ship upgrades ect.

Ive never seen it this bad, Origins had an ad for the latest DLC when you first booted the game but this is completely ruining my game experience.

Has anyone else had a similar experience in other games?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I find the bootup and main menu things pretty OK, but the popup every time you hit the map honestly feels like a bug. One popup each time you loaded a game, ok, fine, but doing it each time you hit the map is way too much. But I guess I'll buy the Season Pass now anyway considering how much I like the game.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3 sweep  Moderator

I remember For Honour being super aggressive about DLC microtransactions - almost everything that you can buy and upgrade in the game is also available for purchase with real-world money, and they don't ever let you forget that.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: The AC games have been really decent about not shoving that stuff in your face; all the microtransaction graphical stuff is on a separate menu that you're never really pressed to look at. This upsell for the DLC is pretty rough, though. It looks like it's literally every time you open your map that they give you the splash screen, which is way too much.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@rorie: just did a reset and no ad screen anymore. Might be a bug, couldn't imagine anyone would think this is a good idea.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: just did a reset and no ad screen anymore. Might be a bug, couldn't imagine anyone would think this is a good idea.

Yeah I figured that might be the case! Curious to hear if the DLC is worth it; I hear it's only a few hours long.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't mind ads at start up screens. I haven't seen them in pause menus but I don't think I'd be too bothered by that.

The worst case of aggressive advertising is stuff like how Dragon Age Origins did it. They put an NPC into the game who'd hang out at your campsite, tell you in game lore reasons and stories in order to sell DLC and at the end of his speech a pop up box would come up telling you to "click here to buy this dlc".