Rebooting TANG?

bruno0091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

#1  Edited By bruno0091

How,would people feel about revisiting This Ain’t No Game? I realise it’s a sensitive subject, given how closely it’s tied to Ryan (and rightly so), but I also feel there could be a lot of fun to be had by revisiting these movies with a new approach, while also mixing it up.

My 2 main ideas are either make it a two person thing, with the obvious pairing being Dan & Alex.

Alternately it would make a fun, if slightly painful at times, Film & 40s series for everyone to join in with.

What do you guys think, are video game movies worth a revisit on the site, or should TANG be preserved as is?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

i would be cool with them watching new video game movies, but I don't think it needs to be called TANG. It likely wouldn't be scripted in the same way, either; GB is pretty much all improv now.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think TANG was a very specific Ryan project that I don't think anyone else would want to take over.

Besides, I don't think anyone else could do it quite as well as he did. His particular style of wit and humor was perfect for that.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I wouldn't want that without Ryan. They can, and have with features like Film and 40s, do other things with movies.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I would always like to see more written/edited content on the site, TANG is a time and place thing. And how many more notable video game movies are there anyway? Assassin's Creed's eventually came out at some point right?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about Alex Navarro's Burning Questions? Just kidding. (Hey, that was fun though, but maybe not for him.)

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think Alex and Rorie should just make a sister site that is all about movies. They could call it Screened. I don't think that name has been used for anything. >_> <_< >_> =P

More on topic, I wouldn't mind if they did a Films & 40s of some video game movies.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MostlySquares

Like Monkeyman04 said above, I would much rather they did a film & 40s with video game movies.

TANG is Ryan's show, and no one else at GB could carry that torch. The guy had a way about him.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want that Film & 40s with Jeff B guesting.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Film & 40s are great, but it'd be neat to see something much shorter than those again and that cover movies no one would ever really want to sit through. It doesn't need to be TANG, and I think it'd be best if it wasn't out of respect, but something with a somewhat different format would be great (maybe Alex and a rotating guest discussing the movie for 5 minutes, potentially with clips like TANG had).

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By nutter

Man, I’d love to see someone pick-up that torch, but I’m not sure who would do it or how. You can’t do a cover version of season one. You can’t steer too far off course. It’s a delicate balancing act.

I’d like to see them try. Of the current crew, I think Alex or Bakalar have the best chance of hitting the tone right. I’d like to see one of them give it a go, actually...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I think a movie review thing with Alex and Dan would be fun given they seem like they seem to be polar opposites for the most part when it comes to cinematic taste. That said TANG was pure 100% Ryan Davis magic that can't ever be recreated.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I wonder if Whiskey Media wasn’t just ahead of its time. The current form of Giant Bomb has what feels like growing elements of anime and movies, in addition to video games. I would definitely support a more regular movie feature on the site.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Wouldn't feel right without Ryan. Personally if I were to reboot TANG I'd combine it with RanKing of Fighters and review every anime based on a fighting game, of which they have been many. I'd probably title it: This Anime, Not Game!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pretty much go with @the_nubster. It cannot be presented the same way. That ship sails with Ryan.

But if there are really the movies out there, I'm sure it could be done. Especially for laughs.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I want Guns of Navarro back.

bruno0091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I think these are all fair, my intention was never to replace TANG in its original form, but to revisit the idea with Videogame movies being viewed by the crew, either in an edited format, or in a film & 40's style.

w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No to a reboot of TANG, yes to a more regular series of Film and 40s.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BradBrains

The highly produced content just isn't worth it for them I think jeff said. Those kinda shows take a long time to complete when a show like them playing fighting games does just as well and they can produce way more of them at the same time.

Plus TANG is a ryan thing to me. Not to mention he did most of the important movies.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I would watch some content were Alex, Vinny and Dan discuss about movies, both old and new, with clips and on a shorter format than Film and 40s... some might even be videogame related. Heck, bring back Rorie and Alex's movie podcast as well...

But I don't think it should be "more TANG", that is a hole impossible to fill without Ryan.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By hermes

@luchalma:

• Rampage
  • Tomb Raider
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Warcraft
  • Need for Speed
  • Silent Hill: Revelation
  • Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
  • Resident Evil: Retribution
  • Resident Evil: Afterlife
  • Tekken
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Kinglaive
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • That awful looking Thief movie

If they stretch out the idea of being movies with games in their theme, like TANG did with Wargames and Last Starfighter, they can use Wreck it Ralph, Ready Player One, the Street Fighter 2 anime or Level Up...

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Ryan was TANG. I'm sure some video game movies might creep into Film & 40s - I'm actually amazed Dan hasn't insisted on them doing Doom - and that's fine, but even just the suggestion of rebooting TANG makes me want to punch someone. That's how offensive I find the idea.