Recommend a game with Moral Choices ?

• 65 results
Shotgunblast97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can you recommend me a game where moral choices play a big part in the game and where things such as story,characters and environment play a big role compared to combat. So Far I am thinking that I have no mouth and I must scream would be a good game for me to play as it seems to have what am looking for and Its based on a Harlen elision Book. So if anyone could give me a recommendation that would be appreciated.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

As far as I'm concerned The Walking Dead is the best implementation of Moral Choices in games thus far.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Its got a choice system, but its the only game I can think of right now..

Loading Video...
EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EXTomar

Oregon Trail.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Dragon Age Orgins is fucking auhhhmazing. Witcher series is pretty great as well although most people will tell you to skip the first one.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

So you're wanting dialogue choices to play a bigger role than combat, right?

The Walking Dead is probably your best bet in that department. Deus Ex Human Revolution has a lot of options for non-violent solutions but you're still going to have to do some knocking-out and tranquilizing.

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as I'm concerned The Walking Dead is the best implementation of Moral Choices in games thus far.

Pretty much this, although all the critics praised the Mass Effect series as being really good at this as well.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder said:

Pretty much this, although all the critics praised the Mass Effect series as being really good at this as well.

All the critics? I remember it getting a decent amount of backlash for it's often clear-cut black and white choices, and not without good reason. Mass Effect is a good series, but I don't exactly consider the "moral" aspect of its choices a high point.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

999 and Virtue's last Reward are both fantastic dialogue driven games. The games narrative direction hinges entirely on your choices and actions.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Witcher 2 is the definition of moral choices. Not '' good or evil '' choices.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@themanwithnoplan:

Those aren't really moral choices, though. They're just choices.

As for a game with moral choices, The Walking Dead, as everybody has chimed in with. You can also try the original Shin Megami Tensei if you don't mind first person navigation and piss-easy boss fights.

Lenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

+1 for The Walking Dead.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: I wouldn't exactly say your choices play a bigger role in the original Shin Megami Tensei than the combat. Kind of the opposite actually. Even SMT4, which is the most story heavy of them all, still favors combat most of all.

@klei: The Witcher series in general is quite good in that regard. I'll place my recommendation for those games as well.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klei said:

Witcher 2 is the definition of moral choices. Not '' good or evil '' choices.

This, and Fallout 1 and 2.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alpha Protocol?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Spec Ops the line. I thought it was one of the most emotional impact full, tense choices i had made in video games perhaps ever.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Walking Dead, Fallout (1, 2, New Vegas)

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pyrodactyl

The witcher 2

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan:

Those aren't really moral choices, though. They're just choices.

Well, that depends on what you define as a moral choice in the context of a video game. It's true that both games don't have a blue and red split decision of bad or good, but you still incorporate your own sense of morality in how you interact with the people around you. Those "choices" can widely determine the fate of those around you as well as yourself. So, I would argue they are moral in a sense. Though, I understand that maybe that doesn't fit what the OP might be looking for.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Darji

@turkalurch said:

@beachthunder said:

You choices A do not matter much beside kill or not kill and I would not even call them moral choices. If you wnat to play a modern Bioware game with moral choices play Dragon Age Origins. As for the rest. Of course The walking dead or the Witcher series as standard answer^^

Also try heavy Rain. Yes it has it flaws but if you are not playing it like a video game but rather like "what would you do in such a situation" it is really good. Oh and never reload a scene.

Alpha Protocol has the best dialogue wheel system ever made so check that out too. Depending on your choices you vvisit different places and even have different endings with different villains etc.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan:

Except the choices in 999 barely have a moral connotation to them. Most of the choices boil down to "should I go in this door or this door", and only, like, two of them can be construed as having a moral dimesion.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@video_game_king: I wouldn't exactly say your choices play a bigger role in the original Shin Megami Tensei than the combat.

Maybe, maybe not, but the moral choices are the best part of the original game. They're just worked in really well.

sir_gunblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ultima IV probably succeeds in player choice better than any game I can think of other than the Walking Dead.

I vaguely remember Vampire the Masquerade having a decent amount of choice.

raycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

What about Infamous? Sure, not the deepest of choices [good of bahaha evil], but at least the story can really go in two different directions.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

@video_game_king said:

@themanwithnoplan:

Except the choices in 999 barely have a moral connotation to them. Most of the choices boil down to "should I go in this door or this door", and only, like, two of them can be construed as having a moral dimesion.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3

Fallout New Vegas

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dishonored. btw just made a review about Dishonored on here. One of the most awesome games this gen imo. Lots of moral choices too. If you are a chaotic guy who kills everyone people will think bad of you and u wont have the greatest relationships. If you're the sneaky guy who doesnt kill much or does non lethal takedowns then there will be less infected people and u will have better relationships with characters plus a better ending.

magicwalnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By magicwalnuts

@shotgunblast97: This is a tough question because many modern games often don't commit entirely to having player agency over the story, which is what I think you're looking for. The reason for this is likely rising production costs, but that's besides the point. Some of the suggested games only play lip service to the idea of actual player agency, such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Binary Domain, (still good though!) and Mass Effect. For modern games The Witcher 1 and 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Fallout: New Vegas, Dishonored, Alpha Protocol, Heavy Rain (Indigo Prophecy too!), and The Walking Dead all at least do a decent job of making the player's decisions the focus of the game, some even go out of their way to give the player as many tough and nuanced decisions as possible, with observable results.

As for older games, there are any number of RPGs out there that have stories dependent upon the player's choices, Fallout 1 and 2 are some pretty well known ones. But I personally think the holy grail of player agency in a game is the original Deus Ex. The myriad of ways you could influence the narrative and the way people spoke to you and treated you was pretty impressive, even today. But my favorite thing about Deus Ex is how many moral choices the game posited to you without actually telling you. There are no explicit "press this, this, or this button" or "make a decision, shoot him or her" messages popping on screen, instead the decisions are hidden.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Alpha Protocol?

Did you guys hear that I worked at Obsidian?

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@veektarius said:

Alpha Protocol?

-.-

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By OldGuy

Ultima IV

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EXTomar

There were problems with Alpha Protocol but they did some really interesting things when it came to choices.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Katawa Shoujo. All other paths than Manly Picnic are the Renegade path.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

@rorie: Forserious? Cool! They made that South Park game! ;)

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: I didn't even like the game, but I still liked making choices.

HerpDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HerpDerp

@demoskinos: I feel like people should play the first Witcher if they love bad voice acting, because man is it baaaaad. I must confess though, CD Projekt Red did an amazing job with what they had with the first game, it's awesome to see how far they've come.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In that I blog about them like crazy?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herpderp said:

@demoskinos: I feel like people should play the first Witcher if they love bad voice acting, because man is it baaaaad. I must confess though, CD Projekt Red did an amazing job with what they had with the first game, it's awesome to see how far they've come.

Did you play the original and not the updated enhanced edition? Because as I understand it they completely re-recorded the voice acting and redid the translation for the enhanced edition.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: And it was a fantastic RPG. Who ever that made did understand to make RPGs^^

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@veektarius said:

Alpha Protocol?

You were in the fallout new vegas credits aswell!!

HerpDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HerpDerp

I went in that game expecting another shitty visual novel, and came out amazed. Rin is the only one I played through, but man what an amazingly written character she is. I must warn some people though, the sex scenes come out of literally nowhere, shell-shocked me a bit.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alpha Protocol has some pretty fun ones.

HerpDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I played both, the original when it came out, and the enhanced version later. It's still pretty bad, I remember reading every voice actor except Geralt ended up being replaced in the Witcher 2.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zeik

@herpderp said:

@zeik: I played both, the original when it came out, and the enhanced version later. It's still pretty bad, I remember reading every voice actor except Geralt ended up being replaced in the Witcher 2.

I thought it was fine for the most part. A little on the dry side, but I've certainly heard much worse.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Alpha Protocol?

As far as games that I've played, this game has the most robust number of variables and outcomes for choices I've seen, and is definitely the game's strongest aspect. It's worth playing just to see that stuff.

@rorie said:

@veektarius said:

Alpha Protocol?

REALLY NOW?! Tell me more.

alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herpderp said:

@ravenlight said:

I went in that game expecting another shitty visual novel, and came out amazed. Rin is the only one I played through, but man what an amazingly written character she is. I must warn some people though, the sex scenes come out of literally nowhere, shell-shocked me a bit.

If we're talking about Visual Novels, then Morenatsu is the best I have ever played.

HerpDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herpderp said:

@ravenlight said:

If we're talking about Visual Novels, then Morenatsu is the best I have ever played.

Uh.. I liked Rin because she was a very human character. So, thanks, but I think I'll have to pass on that one.

alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herpderp said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@herpderp said:

@ravenlight said:

Uh.. I liked Rin because she was a very human character. So, thanks, but I think I'll have to pass on that one.

Do you mean analytically human, or human human.

HerpDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers