#1 Posted by revilof (3 posts) -

Hi folks,

Only discovered GB a few months ago and it's fair to say I'm addicted to the podcasts now! After goty '18 I thought it would be fun to go back to listen to all the previous goty's and it's been quite the journey!

My question is, are there any old shows you guys would recommend going back to? Any classics or must-sees?

Thanks in advance

#2 Edited by nutter (2145 posts) -

Go back to tge Arrow Pointing Down podcasts with Jeff and Ryan.

From there, just start the Bombcast with #1. Every episode of the Ryan era is fucking brilliant. You can’t go wrong.

Ben also put out a Best Of podcast in 2018.

Lastly, there’s a great podcast that I can’t seem to find. It wasn’t Giant Bomb, but when Ryan died a compilation was released. It had Gamespot stuff, Giant Bomb stuff, Suburban All Star tracks...it was great. It might have been This Year Collection. It was great.

EDIT: Found it! Check out episode #162 here:

https://www.matthewfloratos.com/this-year-collection/

#3 Posted by revilof (3 posts) -

Awesome thanks Nutter!

#4 Posted by theuprightman (221 posts) -

I did what Nutter suggested and listened to the Podcasts from the beginning, it took me almost four years to catch up to where I started but it was absolutely worth it, very funny and cool listing to everything in hindsight.

#5 Posted by mems1224 (2505 posts) -

If you don't want to listen to all the podcasts you can just listen to this pretty solid YouTube Playlist that has a ton of the best old clips

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKS6S7quW592YDYc3R-oXAypNHLfL1JC7

#6 Posted by The_Greg (542 posts) -

Watch the Hotline Miami quick look. I probably watch it twice a year.

Loading Video...

#7 Edited by nutter (2145 posts) -

@the_greg: Yeah, that’s a masterclass quicklook. Easily one of my favorite Giant Bomb videos, if not my favorite. The story told by Ryan’s reactions is priceless.

Watching Best of Giant Bomb videos is also a great place to start.

If you have the patience for it, Metal Gear Scanlon is a fantastic series (complete playthrough of Metal Gear Solid 1 - 5 plus Revengence). Though I can’t say watching Metal Gear Solid 5 in its entirety is a great use of time...

Watching the East Coast team play through Shenmue was cool, too. I have no interest in playing that game again, so watching them was a great way to refresh myself on that story.

Also, the 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand video review Jeff did is pure gold, as is the legendary Too Human Video Thing. Both are short and amazing.

Oh, the Metal Gear Solid 4 Spoilercast is a classic, too. I listened before playing that game and it was still amazing. Jeff and Ryan recounting and reacting to that game was an excellent listen.

Every GOTY was also great, with maybe the exception of 2017 and days 1-3 of 2018, in my opinion. Days 4-5 of 2018 were absolutely worthwhile.