recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Edited By recroulette

No Caption Provided
 I’m sorry to state the obvious, but getting sick sucks. You think that you’ll be able to spend that time playing games, but in reality you can’t. My January Steam Journal is behind because of that. I did get a good start on it though. I plan to spin it off into its own blog, so this week’s roulette will be its last. My goal for this month was to avoid spending money on games. I think that’s going to derail this week. While we are talking about derailing, I think I am going to do a shift next week, rearrange some things, upgrade some things. You know, maintenance. No outside bets today. Each game will be in detail. Time to place some bets!

What have I been playing? Steam games of course!

Skyrim Update: My stealth conjurer is now a light armored, warhammer wielding warrior. Also, I hate Argonians. No way a daughter of mine will marry some slimy lizard scum. (Speaking for my character, I swear). Moving on, every inside bet this week is part of my January Steam Journal. Where I’ll try to play a different game every day. 

You know what bothers me about this game? The character you play as reminds me of a Tom Goes to the Mayor character, and that really irks me. The actual concept is neat. You can move and jump, but the main way to move is to rotate the world around you. This has led to some cool puzzles, like delivering a banana to a monkey so he can move out of your way. I don’t know if this is because of the setting or the ambient noises, but I can’t really get hooked onto this game. 

This competitive 2d airplane shooter is a blast, proving that an experience system plus perks can get me interested in just about anything. There are a lot of planes to choose from, with different speeds and weapons. I’ve been partial to the bomber, because it’s takes a little more punishment. I’ve only been playing against bots, but I still had a lot of fun with Altitude. There are the usual deathmatch modes, along with a rugby style mode. My favorite is the base defense one, where you have to pick up a nuke and drop it on the enemy base. This is a fun one.

This game’s premise is so simple, you move left and right, you have an action button, and a button that flips gravity. Your crew has been warped all over and you have to find them. The platforming in this is fantastic. It reminds me of Super Meat Boy. There are specific rooms where you have to time the gravity switch to make it across, it’s frantic yet satisfying. Also, the music is pretty good, although a bit grating after looping for the hundredth time. I’ve saved 3 of my crew members, each in a different section that has its own trick. One is a constantly moving room, another deals with barriers that flip gravity while you’re midair. If you liked Super Meat Boy or just platformers in general, you should pick this up. It’s even available on the 3DS now.

Hard to believe this game came out in 2008, it didn’t seem that long ago. If you’re unfamiliar, Braid is about a man who is in search of a Princess who may or may not exist. It is a platformer that allows you to rewind time. This can be used to redo a poor jump or more frequently to solve a lot of the games puzzles to get puzzle pieces. I’ve traversed (not completed) through all of the worlds except the first one, and I’m not sure what to make of it. I enjoyed a couple of the worlds, while others haven’t impressed. That’s a shame, because the story is interesting, and I want to see it through. Getting every puzzle piece looks like it will become a chore way too soon though. I loved the stuff with your own shadow (you perform an action, and when you rewind time your shadow will repeat the action you just did). I’m not the completionist type, but I may force myself to finish this. 

The (more) random section of the blog. This week: Books!
I bought one of the new Kindles, and the first thing I did was put the Sonic Dash and Spin manga on it. It’s like a combination of Sonic and Ren and Stimpy, it was pretty bizarre. Then I found out you could read books on the thing, and it truly became a magical device. As far as actual reading, I put a lot of the free classic books on there (Invisible Man, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula) and I bought the Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway (my favorite writer). Haven’t read any actual books in at least a year, so if you have any good book recommendations, please let me know. 

Poor planning is still better than no planning...right?
The second half of last week was smashed together because I was sick, kind of like this blog. Next week will bring a few changes, hopefully for the best. As far as the future goes, more steam games, more Skyrim, and I will probably pick up Amy on 360 (or maybe PS3 if it comes out this week). Might actually review that one, because it’s been awhile, and I was a fan of the last game Lexis Numerique put out there, Red Johnson’s Chronicles. Until next time, thanks for reading. 

For more of my random nonsense follow me on twitter ( @recspecreno) and check out my YouTube channel   http://www.youtube.com/user/RecSpecReno 

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By recroulette

No Caption Provided
 I’m sorry to state the obvious, but getting sick sucks. You think that you’ll be able to spend that time playing games, but in reality you can’t. My January Steam Journal is behind because of that. I did get a good start on it though. I plan to spin it off into its own blog, so this week’s roulette will be its last. My goal for this month was to avoid spending money on games. I think that’s going to derail this week. While we are talking about derailing, I think I am going to do a shift next week, rearrange some things, upgrade some things. You know, maintenance. No outside bets today. Each game will be in detail. Time to place some bets!

Skyrim Update: My stealth conjurer is now a light armored, warhammer wielding warrior. Also, I hate Argonians. No way a daughter of mine will marry some slimy lizard scum. (Speaking for my character, I swear). Moving on, every inside bet this week is part of my January Steam Journal. Where I’ll try to play a different game every day. 

You know what bothers me about this game? The character you play as reminds me of a Tom Goes to the Mayor character, and that really irks me. The actual concept is neat. You can move and jump, but the main way to move is to rotate the world around you. This has led to some cool puzzles, like delivering a banana to a monkey so he can move out of your way. I don’t know if this is because of the setting or the ambient noises, but I can’t really get hooked onto this game. 

This competitive 2d airplane shooter is a blast, proving that an experience system plus perks can get me interested in just about anything. There are a lot of planes to choose from, with different speeds and weapons. I’ve been partial to the bomber, because it’s takes a little more punishment. I’ve only been playing against bots, but I still had a lot of fun with Altitude. There are the usual deathmatch modes, along with a rugby style mode. My favorite is the base defense one, where you have to pick up a nuke and drop it on the enemy base. This is a fun one.

This game’s premise is so simple, you move left and right, you have an action button, and a button that flips gravity. Your crew has been warped all over and you have to find them. The platforming in this is fantastic. It reminds me of Super Meat Boy. There are specific rooms where you have to time the gravity switch to make it across, it’s frantic yet satisfying. Also, the music is pretty good, although a bit grating after looping for the hundredth time. I’ve saved 3 of my crew members, each in a different section that has its own trick. One is a constantly moving room, another deals with barriers that flip gravity while you’re midair. If you liked Super Meat Boy or just platformers in general, you should pick this up. It’s even available on the 3DS now.

Hard to believe this game came out in 2008, it didn’t seem that long ago. If you’re unfamiliar, Braid is about a man who is in search of a Princess who may or may not exist. It is a platformer that allows you to rewind time. This can be used to redo a poor jump or more frequently to solve a lot of the games puzzles to get puzzle pieces. I’ve traversed (not completed) through all of the worlds except the first one, and I’m not sure what to make of it. I enjoyed a couple of the worlds, while others haven’t impressed. That’s a shame, because the story is interesting, and I want to see it through. Getting every puzzle piece looks like it will become a chore way too soon though. I loved the stuff with your own shadow (you perform an action, and when you rewind time your shadow will repeat the action you just did). I’m not the completionist type, but I may force myself to finish this. 

I bought one of the new Kindles, and the first thing I did was put the Sonic Dash and Spin manga on it. It’s like a combination of Sonic and Ren and Stimpy, it was pretty bizarre. Then I found out you could read books on the thing, and it truly became a magical device. As far as actual reading, I put a lot of the free classic books on there (Invisible Man, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula) and I bought the Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway (my favorite writer). Haven’t read any actual books in at least a year, so if you have any good book recommendations, please let me know. 

The second half of last week was smashed together because I was sick, kind of like this blog. Next week will bring a few changes, hopefully for the best. As far as the future goes, more steam games, more Skyrim, and I will probably pick up Amy on 360 (or maybe PS3 if it comes out this week). Might actually review that one, because it’s been awhile, and I was a fan of the last game Lexis Numerique put out there, Red Johnson’s Chronicles. Until next time, thanks for reading. 

For more of my random nonsense follow me on twitter ( @recspecreno) and check out my YouTube channel   http://www.youtube.com/user/RecSpecReno 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, you haven't beaten VVVVVV yet? How? It's only two hours long.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Oh, I had a lovely time playing And Yet it Moves. Such a neat and approachable little game.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By recroulette
@Video_Game_King: I don't know what it is, but I can't play PC games for a long period of time. Not sure if it's because I've spent too much time playing consoles, or maybe because I have a metal folding chair at my computer desk. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's probably the folding chair. I know it can't be the console, because I'm a huge console guy, but I can play PC games for a long time, too. (This is assuming that my computer doesn't crap out on me, of course.)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

After referring to a faq, I still could not stomach finishing Braid.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, you haven't beaten VVVVVV yet? How? It's only two hours long.

Really? I've only played the game for half an hour so far, but it seemed like it was going to get a lot harder.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@PeasantAbuse:

It's hard, but short. I'll let you fill in the penis joke on that one.

Avatar image for whitebrightknight
WhiteBrightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By WhiteBrightKnight

@Video_Game_King: Fill in the penis joke? not even sure if you meant it but lol.

Also, altitude is pretty awesome idk if they're still up but there were servers especially for new players if you want to play online. I may or may not have put over 1000 hours into that game -_-.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

Aw man, AYIM would have been awesome as an interactive Tom Goes to the Mayor episode.

Altitude is great arcade-style madness that I'll install and play feverishly every six months or so then totally lose interest (not because I'm not having fun, but I think I have videogames ADD or something).

I'm pretty sure I own VVVVVV from one of the Humble Bundles but haven't installed it yet.

I was never able to full wrap my head around Braid. After watching a Let's Play of some of the later levels, I don't think I'll ever beat it on my own.