Regarding the latest Beastcast (6/25) comment lock- Justified or double-standard?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Unless someone was posting ascii nazi symbols or spamming racial epithets, I think this is very lame.

There are controversies abound, evil afoot, opinions and speculations and apologies and allegations, and lions and tigers and bears and bold claims oh my. All of these things are touchy things of course, but...why would dedicate an entire half an episode to this stuff, and then not allow your community the voice to respond? I read through the coments, there's nothing toxic that I can see. If it was getting out of control, or your mods can't handle the few total idiots who are way out of line- and I mean WAY out of line, having an opinion is worth the foundation it is based on - then okay, but I see this as a very priveleged double standard that goes against some of the very things said in the episode.

"raise concerns, let us know, talk, be open, discuss, share ideas", not verbatim but that was a large way that they concluded some of the touchier earlier parts, and then later Abby goes into this ..'what?' inducing rant about trans representation in the TLoU P2, and how transgender are often typecast as villians and or that the game focuses on this as a THING that is a heavy focus on the game and it honestly, from her account, and no other context given from anything in the game or anything I've seen elsewhere, seem like some imaginary issue or that, worse, transgendered folk are by her account incredibly sensitive possibly to a fault. I know they aren't, but that very sentiment she lays down in words is something I don't agree with, or, as a commenter, would like to open a query about and like to have cited examples, because she talks for a good 5-10 minutes about it and I'm just left, along with all the other topics discussed in the cast- with my thoughts to myself, unable to even respond to the assertions they are making.

At the same time, they decide to lock the comments- which I get, sometimes anyway- when it becomes too volatile or toxic to handle and people are being reallll assholes to each other, but there is a vague double standard to wanting to be pious and right-doers and making claims that cannot be responded to in discourse from your audience. If this platform has become just, well, a platform, for them to say what they think about current issues, potential offensive material or just, just possibly, be wrong in their opinions or assertions, is it not okay to point that out, or at least talk about it? If this becomes a trend, or if social political problems continue (as they do), and are the focal topic of their discussions, I would expect them to take responsibility for opening the can of worms that comes with the territory, and own up to whatever it is that they have by allowing the discourse in the comment space to take place as well.

No matter who is right or wrong, the only way things can be fully understood often is to further discuss the topic at hand, whether everyone agrees or not is irrelevant. It is okay to be offended. It is okay to take a stance, it is okay to not agree and be vocal, that is the point of the most recent beastcasts, right? Well then on your own site, why lock your users out of engagement with the conversation? I am not crying "CENSORSHIP!!!" at the top of my lungs here, I'm just voicing that it is disappointing to see here. It is, in my eyes, a double standard.

Am I wrong?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

As Rorie said in the Beastcast comments:

Alright it's been a fucking whole long-ass week of moderation for the moderators and the staff dealing with everything going on in the industry. As we've done in the past we'll be locking this thread for a bit to give us some time to relax and take our minds off of the site for a bit. If you want to discuss current events in the industry I'm sure you'll be able to find a place to do that for a while but as far as myself and the mods go we'll see you on Sunday.

The comments will eventually be unlocked, but we are a volunteer moderation team. We've spent a lot of time making sure those comments look as tame as they now look. The discussion will be re-opened at some point.