Remembering the Xbox 360 reveal that aired on MTV in 2005.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Let's take a trip to the year 2005, when the Xbox 360 was being revealed.

Yikes, who knew the past was so scary. After watching that, I'm glad the reveals that happened this year were way more formal and less celebrity stuff.

I found this video through this hilarious article at Medium.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Oh, West Coast Customs. Although they did that sweet new GTA Banshee.

Ew, Lil Jon.

And I can't remember what was a popular song in 2005. Yea no, not the Killers.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2005 was nothing like I remember it.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erhard said:

2005 was nothing like I remember it.

I know what you mean, looking at this it seems like they were stuck in the 90's. How the fuck was this eight years ago?!

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By scottp

This is amazing. YO PIMP MY XBOX!!!

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By rachelepithet

Hmmm, seems like nothing's changed culture-wise. Same obsession with fake crowds of 23-year old aspiring actors/models who are dressed to look 15 and pretend to to be excited for a product by going woooooo. Same obsession with hipster-young-republican whiney Indie bands that pretend to be "deep" or "European" with lyrics of nothing of value beyond egotistical break up songs.

Same obsession with Ambercrombie and American Eagles and American Apparels and Aeropostales and creepy preppy bully slut clothes.

Same obsession of minivan chauffeured spoiled white teens trying to act black and act like Jay Z "speaks to them" and "gets them" and "inspires them."

The only thing missing from this is more tattoos and Buddy Holly glasses.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Opens with Elijah Wood in a Golol Bordello shirt. Weird.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I remember watching this way back when. I can't believe this was 8 years ago.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the fuck...

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I simultaneously miss and am glad that we are past that ridiculously stupid period.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I simultaneously miss and am glad that we are past that ridiculously stupid period.

Look back at One reveal in 2021 and we will look just as silly I reckon. Commercial bullshit like this always ages really badly

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fattony12000

"Almost over now, almost over now."

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

@colourful_hippie said:

Look back at One reveal in 2021 and we will look just as silly I reckon. Commercial bullshit like this always ages really badly

Not as bad as '05, dude. Neither manufacturer is trying to fabricate their own kind of pseudo-generation thing that MS did for the 360 launch. Sony and now MS have become a whole lot more humbler, it just took MS to stumble out of the gate with the One for them to wise up and not sound as condescending as they did before.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Nictel
No Caption Provided

Retroactively I am happy I wasn't in the least excited for this event.

Armoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Armoes

I'm happy that flat-screens are so much cheaper now.

P.S. I saw the 360's original interface. It's been a while.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

@colourful_hippie said:

Not as bad as '05, dude. Neither manufacturer is trying to fabricate their own kind of pseudo-generation thing that MS did for the 360 launch. Sony and now MS have become a whole lot more humbler, it just took MS to stumble out of the gate with the One for them to wise up and not sound as condescending as they did before.

Yeah maybe you are right, that was quite bad. I've just lived through so many generational changes in fashion, music or whatever and everyone always thinks that were they are at is the hot shit and then it turns out it was just shit.

But you have a point. The launches this time round, especially Sony's were definitely much more focused on what the machine does rather than what sort of person playing the machine makes you. Which is all for the better. Maybe it is a sign of the gaming world widening to the point that trying make gamers feel as if the are part of some sort of tribe has just become nonsense. I think the idea of what gaming is and what it means to play games has changed more in this generation than in all he others put together.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

At 20 minutes this seems perfect for an Unprofessional Fridays segment. I want to see that happen more than anything.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

I thought this was stupid at the time, but my memory doesn't compare in the least to the stupidity displayed in front of me.

"On the outside it's sexy, on the inside it's a monster". -J Allard "I look forward to seeing you all in the Xbox 360 universe". -Elijah Wood

Those are the best quotes that I could find.

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By TonicBH

Man, people are just now finding out about this? I remember watching it when it was new back in 2005. Hell, I covered the same thing shortly after the Xbox One announcement. It's here if you prefer more words and dumber humor.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what, i still really like the design of the original 360.

And about the marketing, you have to remember this was 2005, Xbox was still struggling to get a foot in the market while sony was pretty much ruling the scene completely. They went real hard on marketing to the mtv crowd and ended up doing a pretty damn good job of it. It might feel weird looking back for some of us that are now out of the age bracket (18-25), and i feel now they are widening that age group with the next gen consoles, even trying to go for families (tv tv tv). Back then however, it was all young adults and teenagers.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was really hoping the guys would talk over this reveal, I believe Ryan said he wanted to do this during the Xbox One reveal. Would have been some great stuff, oh well.