Renaissance Italy and Going Oscar Mike

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Right now I’m happily currently participating in a 72 hour video game designing and programming competition for my university and even though I’m only in the first 24 hours things already seem hectic, however I thought I could at least take a short amount of time out to write my blog for this week because the last week for me has been packed with a ridiculous amount of gaming.

After being absolutely blown away by my first play-through of Arkham Asylum I had a serious itching to jump straight back into the game and play through all over again, however I told myself that while I was still at my family’s home with access to my brother’s games it would be best to take the opportunity to play them while I still could. Over a period of two days I started and finished the campaign mode of Modern Warfare 2 and while I wasn’t as amazed by it as some and I’m generally not into the traditional war theme in my video games, movies, books etc. (I prefer something a little more sci-fi) I still found that there was a lot to be loved about it. Every aspect of the game seemed really well-made and alongside the wonderfully designed gameplay in each level, there were some brilliant and dramatic cinematic moments which really struck me. Every little last bit of that game stayed with me after completion and I never thought I’d enjoy a Call of Duty game anywhere near as much as I did with Modern Warfare 2.

After finishing Modern Warfare 2 I moved onto Assassin’s Creed II which required packing a lot of gaming hours into a short space of time to complete but I’m glad I did. I know I’m not the only one who found that although the original Assassin’s Creed had something really going for it there was a point the game reached where repetitiveness and tedium seemed to really take its toll, I’m not ashamed to admit that it was without regret I hit a point where I decided to quit the game and leave it unfinished. Assassin’s Creed II however was a great improvement on the original and managed to hit the nail right on the head with what needed to be changed from the first game. Besides adding a much wider variety in the types of missions you encounter in the game, as well as more weapons and less boring travelling, the developers of the game went above and beyond what needed to be done. The characters of the game seem to have more personality this time around; I felt a greater connection to Ezio than I did to Altair and I thought Da Vinci was a particularly likeable character. The locations of the game also feel even richer than before from sunny Florence to picturesque Venice and the creators of the game seemed to carry a strong diligence in recreating everything they could about renaissance Italy. I’m still not sure how I feel about the ending, but regardless it was a great game to play.

The end of my time at my family’s home was filled with returning to Modern Warfare 2 to deal with everything external to the campaign. I had a pretty good time playing spec-ops with my brother, even if it did make me feel like I was pretty bad at the game, but the thing which I really enjoyed was the online multiplayer. I actually did better in the multiplayer than I expected to and the satisfaction of constantly receiving small rewards for my online exploits was a greatly fulfilling experience. When I have the chance I’d really like to jump in and soak up more of that the Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer has to offer.

Finally I’d like to thank my parents for my late 18th birthday present; a working Xbox 360 Arcade and a copy of Bayonetta and I’ll finish up here by linking you to my top 10 most anticipated games of 2010.

Happy gaming people.

-Gamer_152    

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Right now I’m happily currently participating in a 72 hour video game designing and programming competition for my university and even though I’m only in the first 24 hours things already seem hectic, however I thought I could at least take a short amount of time out to write my blog for this week because the last week for me has been packed with a ridiculous amount of gaming.

After being absolutely blown away by my first play-through of Arkham Asylum I had a serious itching to jump straight back into the game and play through all over again, however I told myself that while I was still at my family’s home with access to my brother’s games it would be best to take the opportunity to play them while I still could. Over a period of two days I started and finished the campaign mode of Modern Warfare 2 and while I wasn’t as amazed by it as some and I’m generally not into the traditional war theme in my video games, movies, books etc. (I prefer something a little more sci-fi) I still found that there was a lot to be loved about it. Every aspect of the game seemed really well-made and alongside the wonderfully designed gameplay in each level, there were some brilliant and dramatic cinematic moments which really struck me. Every little last bit of that game stayed with me after completion and I never thought I’d enjoy a Call of Duty game anywhere near as much as I did with Modern Warfare 2.

After finishing Modern Warfare 2 I moved onto Assassin’s Creed II which required packing a lot of gaming hours into a short space of time to complete but I’m glad I did. I know I’m not the only one who found that although the original Assassin’s Creed had something really going for it there was a point the game reached where repetitiveness and tedium seemed to really take its toll, I’m not ashamed to admit that it was without regret I hit a point where I decided to quit the game and leave it unfinished. Assassin’s Creed II however was a great improvement on the original and managed to hit the nail right on the head with what needed to be changed from the first game. Besides adding a much wider variety in the types of missions you encounter in the game, as well as more weapons and less boring travelling, the developers of the game went above and beyond what needed to be done. The characters of the game seem to have more personality this time around; I felt a greater connection to Ezio than I did to Altair and I thought Da Vinci was a particularly likeable character. The locations of the game also feel even richer than before from sunny Florence to picturesque Venice and the creators of the game seemed to carry a strong diligence in recreating everything they could about renaissance Italy. I’m still not sure how I feel about the ending, but regardless it was a great game to play.

The end of my time at my family’s home was filled with returning to Modern Warfare 2 to deal with everything external to the campaign. I had a pretty good time playing spec-ops with my brother, even if it did make me feel like I was pretty bad at the game, but the thing which I really enjoyed was the online multiplayer. I actually did better in the multiplayer than I expected to and the satisfaction of constantly receiving small rewards for my online exploits was a greatly fulfilling experience. When I have the chance I’d really like to jump in and soak up more of that the Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer has to offer.

Finally I’d like to thank my parents for my late 18th birthday present; a working Xbox 360 Arcade and a copy of Bayonetta and I’ll finish up here by linking you to my top 10 most anticipated games of 2010.

Happy gaming people.

-Gamer_152    

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I actually never got tired of the original Assassin's Creed, even though it was repetitive. The only thing I really disliked about that game was walking down the street and having a guard suddenly yell "GET THE INFIDEL!!" even though I wasn't doing anything.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Crap, I forgot to add Da Vinci anecdotes to my own AC2 blog! Eh, I guess I can get by with some Venture Bros references. On topic, anybody else think it's pretty much what a sequel should be?

ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By ApolloJ85

AC2 is the Godfather II of gaming. I'm calling it.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@Video_Game_King said:
"Crap, I forgot to add Da Vinci anecdotes to my own AC2 blog! Eh, I guess I can get by with some Venture Bros references. On topic, anybody else think it's pretty much what a sequel should be? "
Yep, I do think this is what a sequel should be. It's rather rare for the sequel to be better than the original but Ubisoft did exactly what needed to be done. Alongside adding a whole bunch of new features to the game they went back and looked at what people thought was wrong with the first game and worked really hard on fixing those issues. It looks like Mass Effect 2 is going in the same direction and I'd love to see more video game sequels that can do what these games are doing.