Retro gamers blinded be nostalgia ?

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By banishedsoul1

I do love some of the games i grew up with. My first system was the SNES. I was to young to play NES before the Snes came out. I was around 3 or 4 so that was like 20 years ago now yes im old.

I feel Retro gamers hype old games so much more then they deserve. Yes they were fun and i do agree gaming has lots some of its charm. But Gaming today is way better. We get some much more for the money. Deeper stories,huge worlds amazing graphics and so on.

Yet people like the game over thinker act as if gaming today is awful and soooooooo much better back then.

What i think killed consoles most for retro gamings would be the XBOX. IT really pulled in lots of FPS fanboys and got ports from the pc. After XBOX live it seemed everyone had to play fps games.

What do you think will replace the FPS? I feel the reason why devs love it so much is due to it being easy to make then being original and they know thats all western gamers care about these days.

Do you feel that old games are so much better then today? If so why do you feel this way?

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By banishedsoul1

I do love some of the games i grew up with. My first system was the SNES. I was to young to play NES before the Snes came out. I was around 3 or 4 so that was like 20 years ago now yes im old.

I feel Retro gamers hype old games so much more then they deserve. Yes they were fun and i do agree gaming has lots some of its charm. But Gaming today is way better. We get some much more for the money. Deeper stories,huge worlds amazing graphics and so on.

Yet people like the game over thinker act as if gaming today is awful and soooooooo much better back then.

What i think killed consoles most for retro gamings would be the XBOX. IT really pulled in lots of FPS fanboys and got ports from the pc. After XBOX live it seemed everyone had to play fps games.

What do you think will replace the FPS? I feel the reason why devs love it so much is due to it being easy to make then being original and they know thats all western gamers care about these days.

Do you feel that old games are so much better then today? If so why do you feel this way?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You need to stop making topics.

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By banishedsoul1

@Brodehouse: y am i breaking some kinda of rule?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

@banishedsoul1 said:

That sentence broke many rules.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By NathHaw

I feel games are better today, but I had more fun with games back then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games are "better" today in the sense that they appeal to a lot more people, but in my opinion that's an incredibly shitty way to judge how "good" something is. And I'm not even one of those "modern games sucks" guys.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Alkaiser

I guess it all depends on your perspective and/or taste in things. Personally, I think its a case by case scenario. I'd certainly never say that all new games suck and all old games were great, because I've played plenty of awesome current games and shitty old games and vice versa.

There is something to be said for working within the confines of an older system in order to force yourself to push the limits of your creativity. I don't think something like a Chrono Trigger or Earthbound can come out in an environment today, not for technical reasons, but because it simply doesn't make sense business wise in a world where every game costs millions of dollars to make and needs to sell millions of copies to break even. Maybe that'll change with all the cool stuff going on with kickstarter and indie game development and digital gaming, but it's still too soon to tell.

Bleeble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bleeble

Bad games existed back then and they still do now.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Clonedzero

yes. nostalgia is a helluva drug.

yes games in general are better today, in quality, production value, writing, mechanics, technically, ect. no real arguing that. but the "classics" will never be beaten by anything for some people.

the same way Citizen Kane is not the best movie ever made, sure its a good movie even today, and it revolutionized film making. but its not the best movie ever. the same way the beatles arent the best band ever. sure they revolutionized music in alot of ways, but they arent the best band ever. (exactly the reason i automatically assume anyone that puts those on their "top movies" or "top bands" list is a pretentious dick, and im almost always right)

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shiftymagician

The people who think that gaming now is worse than before will always be wrong to me personally. The games of today have less technology restrictions and are capable of providing experiences that were technically impossible to do at all in the early years, providing more sophisticated gaming experiences. Of course any game made at any point in time is only as good as the effort and skill of the developer of the time, however naturally today allows for far greater possibilities for bigger and more ambitious projects.

I love older games equally out of a respect of what they were able to do given the restrictions of older technology. However, even though I will always be able to go back to games that some people feel are unplayable due to being dated in their opinion, I will always feel a need to experience something that can only be done with the technology of today and once we reach the technology of tomorrow.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrpandaman

@JasonR86 said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

lol

Thinking gaming is way better today is just an opinion, some people just pine for the simpler games of back then and some for how hard it was whether it be difficulty or how hard the learning curve is, because there was no hand holding. Many of the people that I know that like gaming back then is, because of the latter point, the no hand holding part. They find it too easy if the player is told almost everything without really figuring out much themselves.

Another thing, is that some games back then just had some really solid game play. You look at many of Nintendo's titles, Super Mario, Zelda, Metroid those all had solid and simple game play. Some people, like retro gamers, just want that.

FPS are probably here to stay and won't go in the way that third person 3d platforming is going. Where do you take it from first person games in general? Or third person? Or omniscient/ tactical view the rts genre has?

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

Judging a game based on its age (old or new) is really dumb. A good game is good whether it came out two months ago or twenty years ago.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DoctorWelch

Are you maliciously coming to GB for the soul purpose of creating topics that have already been discussed to death on every video game website ever? I mean, I wouldn't mind all these topics if they were well thought out and a relatively decent length, but like 5 sentences just isn't going to cut it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@super_mario_john said:

Judging a game based on its age (old or new) is really dumb. A good game is good whether it came out two months ago or twenty years ago.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Clonedzero

@super_mario_john said:

right, but judging on a crazy curve that puts old games on a pedestal that newer games can never beat is really dumb too. i mean the first game i ever played was donkey kong, i was like 3 or 4 stuck in the hospital. that game sucks. the original donkey kong. yeah that game sucks. lots of people claim its good. but its not, its a pile of crap. everyone knows it, but they wont admit it cus its a "classic". its a shitty game.

the new rayman games are better than the NES and SNES marios. yeah, i said it. i played those as a kid too. im just not holding them on some nostalgia pedestal. how anyone gets nostalgic and keeps saying an old outdated gameplay based game is the "best" in the genre when its clearly not is crazy. the only thing i could accept in an argument is story based nostalgia. like, i LOVE chrono trigger. not for the gameplay, god no. the story, the characters. thats different.

giving a game a grading curve simply cus its old is silly and misguided. games are better today. yup theres alot of bad games, but theres lots of good games too. the games are more diverse and complex as well. the industry has never been better. indie developers have an easy way to get exposure and create their games.

like how many people say goldeneye is the best console shooter ever, tons right? how many have gone back and played it since then? pretty much none of them. its awful, the only reason they're saying that is cus it was like the ONLY console shooter at the time lol. go hook up your N64 and play it, my god you'll be amazed you ever enjoyed it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Hizang
No Caption Provided
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidSwords

You're not Jay444111, knock it off.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

@Clonedzero: Saying that a game is "better" than another is kind of a dangerous way of thinking about video games. The art of game design isn't about making the absolute best game ever, it's about making new and exciting experiences for people to enjoy. I think a game should be judged solely on how complete of a concept it is, and how well it's executed throughout the game. I think Rayman Origins is a really cool game, but I also like going back and playing the Super Mario platformers. They're both really good games, but saying one is better than the other doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Not everybody is going to like every game, and that's totally fine.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By buzz_clik

Games are different now. That is all.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By mosdl

@banishedsoul1 said:

But Gaming today is way better. We get some much more for the money. Deeper stories,huge worlds amazing graphics and so on.

And games are much longer than they were before! Oh wait...

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jay444111

@LiquidSwords said:

You're not Jay444111, knock it off.

Dude... Please stop the bashing... that is all.

Oh, and I am not this guy... I hated the Jeff the killer creepypasta, Now the one where the guy is trapped by a monster in his barnyard home is kinda awesome. Also this one is good.

Otherwise not many are that great... or good... or average sadly.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@banishedsoul1 said:

We get some much more for the money. Deeper stories,huge worlds amazing graphics and so on.

That's not even remotely close to being true aside from the graphical "improvement."

Go and play an old game that you missed the first time through. I've been playing FF6 for the first time lately and it blows away all of today's JRPGs.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Well, Doom 2 is still fucking amazing. Genuinely really great, both of the first two Doom games, in fact, are awesome and fucking amazing on XBLA.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Humanity

@Brodehouse said:

I still prefer these sort of topics over "your favorite game" "Your first console" "Your first wetting the bed experience with a gameboy color" etc

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust

I started gaming in the 70's so games are definitely better today than they were back then. In those days, the goal of most games was to score points and entice you to spend another quarter. The technology was limited, but I can't say I didn't have a good time...mostly. Quite often I walked away broke and frustrated (just like high school dating). At some point in the later half of the 80's, games started to evolve past quarter-munching. When this happened, gaming had shifted to the back of my entertainment life. I was into table-top RPGs and wargames at that time. I dabbled a bit in some PC titles, but it would be a few more years before I returned to console gaming. I wonder if there is a specific time in history that gamers must have been introduced to video games in order to form the nostalgia-is-better perspectives. I know I can play Burnout Paradise for hours on end, but I don't think I'd last more than 5 minutes with Night Driver today. The "Nintendo generation" seems to have stronger opinions on the subject, though.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I don't think there's any question that many games get a free pass thanks to nostalgia. The biggest reason being that so much more is expected from a game today. Also, there weren't hundreds of sites, forums, and blogs dedicated to dissecting every little part of a game and criticizing it ad nauseum. It's safe to say that many iconic games of yesteryear wouldn't hold up to realistic, objective scrutiny that games face today without the benefit of nostalgia's rose colored glasses.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JoeyRavn

@banishedsoul1 said:

The wording is confusing me. You were 3 or 4 twenty years ago? So you're 24 now? And you think you're old?

OK.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jerseyscum

This reminds me, I really need to finish that copy of Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Brodehouse said:

Exactly.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By BaneFireLord

The reason why it seems that games were better during the earlier gens is because people only remember the good games. All the bad games were forgotten. Why stuff seems worse these days is because all the bad games are still fresh in our memories and sitting on store shelves, intermingled with the good. The same phenomenon also applies to film.

Chroma_Auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By Chroma_Auron

@banishedsoul1 said:

This is a statement and a judgement against people who disagree with you.

This is an opinion that goes against your statement

Now your asking for other people's opinions after you have made judgment

Do you know what your even saying?

Now to talk about the games being better these days. Do we have games these days that compare to the uniqueness and creativity of these old games?

http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/129/maupiti-island

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maupiti_Island_%28game%29

http://www.mobygames.com/game/kgb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Die0L7sv0ts&feature=relmfu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Came_from_the_Desert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWd_eyAmgQ

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Brodehouse said:

Hilariously enough I find his topics to be more interesting than 90% of everything else on this site (blog posts usually).

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Hizang said:

No Caption Provided

This thread needs to spice things up and talk about anal warts.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes yes, they are blinded (mainly those that claim current games all suck). But a lot of retro games do hold up. Such as recently, I played Chrono Trigger for the first time and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Alkaiser

@BaneFireLord said:

The reason why it seems that games were better during the earlier gens is because people only remember the good games. All the bad games were forgotten. Why stuff seems worse these days is because all the bad games are still fresh in our memories and sitting on store shelves, intermingled with the good. The same phenomenon also applies to film.

I remember the bad games.

They still haunt me at night.

God damn you, Super Alfred Chicken. Why can't I forget. The drinking doesn't help anymore.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By krazy_kyle

videogame nostalgia is probably one of the most important things about gaming. Without it we will only be inspired by current games which wouldn't be great to be perfectly honest. I find myself dipping into older titles more than newer ones not just because of the memories but for the simple fact that i enjoy them more than current games. more mainstream titles like COD or battlefield don't quite cut it for me.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By medacris

With any kind of nostalgia, we need to hold on to what we did right in the past, remember it, and not be afraid to experience new things, because who knows? They might actually be good. Especially with this indie/8-bit/text-based adventure game revival we've been having as of late. I figure those are catered most to people who have been jaded by modern gaming, and the devs are trying to coax them back.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By sickVisionz

I can't speak for every game, but I think older games I played had a more arcadey feel and you were always doing something fun. The story was what happened if you didn't press the start button quick enough or you sat in front of the arcade cabinet for 1 minute without throwing a quarter in. Back then it was all about just making a cool game with fun levels. It didn't matter if the levels didn't make any type sense in the game story or they didn't seamlessly flow together in a logical way. Back then, nobody would complain about awesome levels just being thrown in willy-nilly.

With the rise of narrative and actually being able to tell a cinematic narrative, that carefree approach lessened. I don't think it's better or worse, just different and overall, I can't complain. XBLA/PSN are filled with those old school design ethos and are literally filled with old school games. We're getting the best of both worlds.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Clonedzero

@GunslingerPanda said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

We get some much more for the money. Deeper stories,huge worlds amazing graphics and so on.

That's not even remotely close to being true aside from the graphical "improvement."

Go and play an old game that you missed the first time through. I've been playing FF6 for the first time lately and it blows away all of today's JRPGs.

you mean the iconic genre defining JRPG classic is still good today? MY GOD WHAT A SHOCK!

go and play an old game no one talks about ever, go play a JRPG that came out around the same time as FF6 but you've never heard of. yeah, it wont be very good. you can't use super well known classics as evidence games are better.

the average game today, does have deeper stories, bigger worlds, ect. than the average game from awhile ago. its just a fact. the production values are higher, the tech is better, the writing is better. ect.

i could say "oh the 80's was the best decade for movies ever!" then only list off classic movies from the 80's and ignore the fact that for every good movie, there were dozens of bad ones. for every FF6 and link to the past, theres dozens and dozens of horrible horrible games. you just dont remember them.

piyakhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By piyakhan

Hi everyone,

i think the games are going to batter then before.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Alkaiser

@Clonedzero said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

you mean the iconic genre defining JRPG classic is still good today? MY GOD WHAT A SHOCK!

go and play an old game no one talks about ever, go play a JRPG that came out around the same time as FF6 but you've never heard of. yeah, it wont be very good. you can't use super well known classics as evidence games are better.

the average game today, does have deeper stories, bigger worlds, ect. than the average game from awhile ago. its just a fact. the production values are higher, the tech is better, the writing is better. ect.

i could say "oh the 80's was the best decade for movies ever!" then only list off classic movies from the 80's and ignore the fact that for every good movie, there were dozens of bad ones. for every FF6 and link to the past, theres dozens and dozens of horrible horrible games. you just dont remember them.

Playing games I never got to play as a kid is kind of a hobby of mine, so I end up doing this a ton. Yeah, there's a bunch of crap but there's also a lot of hidden gems that'll never get their chance to shine.

A recent game I played that I'd put in the category of sadly forgotten would be Tecmo's Deception for the original Playstation. God, that was a crazy find. A weird first person survival-horrorish game taking place in a mansion where you play as the crazy murderer who's completely defenseless, can't even throw a punch, but lives in a giant deathtrap of his own design where you have to bait people into traps while trying to keep yourself alive. It's pretty dated visually and the controls could be a lot better, but damn if it wasn't engrossing. I haven't played any of the sequels yet, but I heard that the latest one (Trapt, I think it was called) was sadly pretty shitty. I'll have to try them out sometime.

I would say that games of today are much more impressive from a technical standpoint, but that doesn't always equal fun. Also, the appearance of a game is relative. I can look at a trailer from say, Battlefield 3 and go "Well, I can tell that cost a lot of money to make but it doesn't really look that cool to me. It looks like every military shooter ever," while my buddy next to me goes "Are you crazy? I'm going to play the shit out of that game!" It all comes down to your personal taste.

Personally, I like 2d art and sprites and all sorts of colorful junk so I'm partial to games that include those. When they came out and on what system doesn't really matter to me.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I love the memories I've got from those games but it takes a certain amount of willpower to play and accept them again right now, some games aged pretty badly due to various reasons.
Doesn't mean their suddenly bad, just means a lot has changed for both the player and the games since then.

I do loathe the blind fanatics however, but I do that for everything.
Enjoy, love it and live it, but don't go overboard because honestly, its your thing, not theirs.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By moywar700

Retro video games are still relevant because 2-d graphics don't get outdated easily.

SuperPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SuperPickle

I am stunned at how many of this guys post make no sense.

ShenaniganZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShenaniganZ

back in my day you could get a soda for five cents! and it wasn't that shit you kids drink now! god these kinda discussions bore.....everyone. Games are different and they are the same. People romanticize things in the past. People are stupid.

Avatar image for alianthaberries
AlianthaBerries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlianthaBerries
@Bleeble Agreed these kind of threads annoy me greatly.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeriouslyNow

banishedsoul1 gonna be moronic

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By toowalrus

@JasonR86 said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

I literally laughed out loud. Thanks!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By big_jon

If you're comparing older games to newer games it is a miss match, gaming has changed, it does not mean that really good retro games were not really good when they came out.

How ever, some games can hold up, rare yes but the greats like Super Mario World, Zelda, Super Metriod, Donkey Kong Country, and so on, these are still great games because their concepts have not necessarily been vastly improved upon since their release.