Retroactively Stop a Franchise

#1 Edited by nutter (2394 posts) -

If you had the power to stop a franchise before it fucked things up, which one would it be?

Games, movies, TV shows, books, whatever you’re into...

I’d go back and stop Wolfenstein with The New Order. That ending was so perfect, but they kinda fucked it up with The New Colossus’ shitty Twisted Sister cover ending.

I’d be happy to just replay The New Order every few years if I got that Wolfenstein itch.

Hell, I’d be happy with more Wolfenstein, but BJ deserved his death...the poor bastard can’t even have that?

#2 Posted by Efesell (4632 posts) -

They well and truly should never have made a third Parasite Eve.

#3 Edited by wollywoo (324 posts) -

I'd stop PJ from touching Tolkien after 2003. LOTR was almost perfect. The Hobbit was a travesty.

#4 Posted by fisk0 (6965 posts) -

Can't really think of anything I feel strongly about other than maybe cancelling Call of Duty after 3 or Diablo after the first one. Their further sequels had such an impact on their respective genres in ways I don't appreciate at all, so would probably be interesting to see a world where the final Call of Duty headed towards Battlefield's multiplayer style, or where future Diablo clones didn't all have to have trait mechanics and the prerequisite five acts with all using the "vaguely european forests/medieval villages", "north african/middle eastern desert/egyptian tombs", "aztec temples/jungles", "nordic snow covered mountains" and "heaven/hell/purgatory/spirit realm" themes.

#5 Posted by cikame (2947 posts) -
@fisk0 said:

...so would probably be interesting to see a world where the final Call of Duty headed towards Battlefield's multiplayer style...

You consider Battlefield's multiplayer to be better than COD's? Or am i misreading that.
Also
Destiny, for crimes against humanity.

#6 Edited by Shiftygism (1126 posts) -

Top of my head possibilities...

- I'd try to change George Lucas' mind about the prequels (the ones we got) and Crystal Skull, there would probably be no way to prevent him selling Lucasfilm to Disney though.

- I'd make sure Angela Bassett had been cast as Storm in X-men saving us from Halle Berry tossing her weight around after the Oscar win which caused a chain reaction of bad decisions in geek cinema.

- I'd advise Fox against the Alien 3 we got.

- Advise Paramount they might want to protect Star Trek a bit better before entering into the CBS deal preventing the split licenses, the JJ-verse, Into Darkness, Discovery, and the possible reality of a f-bomb fueled QT trek film. That and re-think things better from Generations on.

- Convince Don Knotts, and Rob Morrow they weren't going to have huge movie careers and to stay on their respected shows.

- Tell Idris Elba that each new season of Luther would be worse than the last and would ultimately end in disappointment. I'd rather kill it than let it seemingly end the way it has on a downward slope of gradual mediocrity.

My pick...

Gotta be Lucas.

#7 Posted by nutter (2394 posts) -

@wollywoo: I saw the first 1.5 Hobit movies...they were, i fact, atrocious.

#8 Posted by nutter (2394 posts) -

@cikame: Destiny is a really good one. If we just got more Taken King and Rise of Iron-like expansions for Destiny 1, I’d probably still be playing Destiny.

#9 Posted by TheRealTurk (594 posts) -

For movies, Star Wars is the obvious one. The prequels were pretty bad, but at least you could laugh at them. Somehow everything Disney has done with the franchise has been even worse. It manages to be this weird kind of earnest and just well made enough that it isn't particularly funny, but ends up being boring instead. Just end it after the original trilogy.

In terms of games, I'd probably say stop after Diablo 2. Maybe not "end" the franchise necessarily, but I'd certainly like to go back and time and have Blizzard make different decisions in regards to Diablo 3.

For T.V., I'd prevent the new Battlestar Galactica from ever being made. That show sucked monkey balls.

#10 Posted by BoOzak (2681 posts) -

I'm okay with garbage existing, even shit attached to things I like. But if I were to kill something to make room for something better (in my opinion) it would be the MCU. I've enjoyed some of those movies but at best they're okay.

My hope is it would result in less generic action movies and allow for more variety but something equally as terrible or maybe even worse would probably take it's place.

#11 Edited by isomeri (3127 posts) -

@boozak said:

I'm okay with garbage existing, even shit attached to things I like. But if I were to kill something to make room for something better (in my opinion) it would be the MCU. I've enjoyed some of those movies but at best they're okay.

My hope is it would result in less generic action movies and allow for more variety but something equally as terrible or maybe even worse would probably take it's place.

Same here. Some of the Marvel movies are entertaining but most of the ones I've seen have been tremendously average. The millions of dollars, both on the studio side and on the side of customer cash, could have been spent on something more varied and interesting.

#12 Edited by fisk0 (6965 posts) -

@cikame said:
@fisk0 said:

...so would probably be interesting to see a world where the final Call of Duty headed towards Battlefield's multiplayer style...

You consider Battlefield's multiplayer to be better than COD's? Or am i misreading that.

Also

In part, yes - at the very least, the progression mechanics introduced in Battlefield 2/2142 weren't particularly well received at the time, and Call of Duty 3 was at the time a bit of a Battlefield alternative without that baggage (before COD4 went all in and in my mind made multiplayer shooters actively disgusting for like 10 years). Without COD4 reassuring DICE that the progression mechanics was a good idea, I think we could've seen things go in a very different direction.

#13 Posted by nutter (2394 posts) -

@isomeri: I have a soft spot for the Russo Marvel movies. I think Winter Soldier and Civil War were pretty well thought out, connected well to past movies, and were still the popcorn fun those movies need to be.

Their work on Infinity War and Endgame also impressed me in that these films are for every human being on the planet, but aren’t so broad as to be pure lowest common denominator drivel.

I’ll also give a shout out to that third Thor movie and Guardians of the Galaxy. I also have a soft spot for Iron Man 3. Having the movie NOT be all about super powers and having the villain be a clueless patsy actor was an interesting curveball for the whole MCU thing.

Outside of those, I agree that a lot of the films are kinda “another one of these.” They’re often fun, but nothing you miss much by missing.

#14 Posted by Rejizzle (1147 posts) -

I'd pre-emptively put the kibosh on the Rian Johnson star wars trilogy. He's one of my favorite filmmakers at the moment, and I feel he has a lot to give us. Johnson's already made one of the best movies in the franchise, I don't want him to be stuck doing the same thing for the next decade.

Then again, he's directing Knives Out this year which is quite the departure. Perhaps my fears are unfounded.

#15 Posted by cikame (2947 posts) -

@fisk0: I've always seen COD as "modern Quake", there wasn't any really popular arena shooters after Unreal 2004 (UT3 didn't stick), so for me COD filled the market for "fast paced first person shooter", and while COD3 did have a vehicle or two, an idea Treyarch would again visit with World at War, it's always been about small scale shorter range fights.
If i'm putting aside my bias Battlefield is the more impressive game, all those players, the size of the maps, the impressive graphics, but it's too much for me and i've always prefered COD, but they're such different games we really shouldn't compare...
... except it sounds like the new COD will have a Battlefield style mode... i hope balancing the game for that doesn't ruin team deathmatch.

#16 Posted by nutter (2394 posts) -

You know what, I’m stretching the bounds here. I’d love to see what White Zombie would have been if they managed to not break-up.

I’m not really a Rob Zombie guy, but White Zombie was a pretty killer band.

#17 Posted by stantongrouse (243 posts) -

James Bond after Connery. In fact, stop Fleming after two novels and we'd have got more varied action spy films/book and instead of everything cribbing from that template.

#18 Posted by wardcleaver (345 posts) -

@nutter said:

You know what, I’m stretching the bounds here. I’d love to see what White Zombie would have been if they managed to not break-up.

I’m not really a Rob Zombie guy, but White Zombie was a pretty killer band.

This. I liked some of Rob's solo stuff, however I much prefer White Zombie.

#19 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7685 posts) -

@cikame said:
@fisk0 said:

Also

I have not played Battlefield in awhile, but yeah Battlefield basic stock gameplay of capturing five to seven flags across one big map is far superior to CoDs stock Team deathmatch. Moreover, the progression checkpoint maps where a team attacks and defense over a long map was far superior. I guess this was more relevant 10 years ago when both game were more idiosyncratic, I suppose today both game offer similar modes of play.

The only reason I ever switched from BF to CoD was that I didn't like BF3 and BF4...they sucked donkey ballz. But yeah, before BF3 there was no contest. That sort of why CoD was only a big thing after Call of Duty 4, and really took of with CoD Modern Warfare 2.

Today, meh, both games are fine. These days you kids all want to play your Overwatchs and Apex Legends...damn kids need to get off my lawn in your Tracer Cos-play! ;-)

#20 Posted by nutter (2394 posts) -

@wardcleaver: I kinda wish Ivan, J, and Sean would have got back together for another project after Rob sort of ditched the band.

I know Ivan had left a few years earlier, but man, that band is fucking solid on La Sexorcisto.

#21 Posted by niko_of_death (278 posts) -

End Fallout at Tactics, Zero Escape at 999, Ace Attorney at T&T.

#22 Posted by Sumofarmer (21 posts) -

We only needed one Halo game to figure the whole "fps-controls on console" out.

We didn't need it to become one of the biggest, most influential franchises in the world, so it could ruin first person shooters for almost a decade with slow, floaty shooting and only being able to hold on to two weapons at a time.

Thank fuck for games like Ion fury, Wolfenstein: New order, Doom 2016 and such.

And yes, "old man yelling at cloud" and all that, but i'm fine with that.

#23 Posted by Chamurai (32 posts) -

I'm surprised I haven't seen Mass Effect on this thread yet.

#24 Posted by MeMonk (325 posts) -

I would stop Terminator after T2 and Aliens after Aliens.

#25 Posted by Sulcath (16 posts) -

I say stop Final Fantasy after 10. Let it die without ever living to become an mmo

#26 Posted by North6 (1195 posts) -

Game of Thrones after season 5, Stanger Things after season 1, Heroes after season 1, Star Wars after Rogue One.

Games - Dynasty Warriors after 1

#27 Posted by nutter (2394 posts) -

@memonk: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was pretty fucking great while it lasted...Also, Alien Isolation was a cool game.

Also, stop Predator after Predator 2, too (it’s so bad AND so amazing all at once). That’d ensure no AvP movies, too...

#28 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (782 posts) -

I think I would have stopped Star Trek after Voyager. Everything after that has moved backwards in an attempt to recapture what made the first four series great, and the film reboot just completely missed the point entirely.