RIDDICK (assault on dark athena) DEMO thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Moeez

I was very wary going into this demo. This was going to be my first Day 1 purchase for 2009, since I'm strapped for money.

I didn't know how the controls would go. The last time I played Riddick was the demo for the original Xbox.

Now that I've played it, it's...

AWESOME!
It's a pretty long demo, you can play around a lot.
The drone stuff is fantastic, adds another layer of strategy. If you don't have any guns, use theirs. But you can't move when you control their Drone Gun, because it's permanently attached to their body. You can drag them a bit, like a human shield, but can't move forward with them, so gotta position yourself just right for gun fights.

I had to adjust to the controls, but after 5 min, second nature. Too bad you can only carry 2 weapons at any one time, so gotta do some pinwheel inventory management. But Stealth and Execution kills are insanely visceral.

The new weapons, the Ulaks are gruesome.

At one point, you can enter a Drone Station and control Drones remotely, just like the bad guys in Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.

The stealth is badass, shooting out lights, jumping on dudes, cutting people up in VERY grisly ways.

Lots and lots of swearing (even the female villain swears!) , if you've ever played the Darkness, you'll be familiar with the enemies' behaviour.

Oh, and graphics are brilliant XD

Go download it, and let me know your impressions.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

demo?  I didn't hear anything about a demo.  thanks I'm going to go download it :)

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24

I just finished downloading it. I will come back later with impressions. It looks sweet.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BigBoss1911

Im gussing it isnt going to be on psn until tomorrow....

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crunchUK

haven't played the first one. Although i has seen teh filmz

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

Demo was good.  I was going to buy the game anyways but demo is a nice teaser.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

I played a bit of it and liked it. It still is literally dark, so it is hard to see some things. I had no idea that there was a person in that drone pod thing, for example, so when I killed the guy in the animation that followed, I was a bit surprised. Still, it looks good and I am sure I will get it when it arrives.

BinocularFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By BinocularFever

Yeah, I agree, I thought the demo was pretty fantastic. I'm still not sold on the day one purchase, but... well, I'll play it again after work.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_

That demo was pretty shitty. I enjoyed the first Riddick, but this one controls awkwardly (even allowing for the fact that you're in some drone head), has an absolutely terrible user interface (in Drone mode) and is not fun to play at all. I'm severely disappointed.

Edit: the people giving my post negative ratings can grow up, suck my balls, or both :-D

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
RHCPfan24 said:
"I played a bit of it and liked it. It still is literally dark, so it is hard to see some things
You know there's a see in the dark function right?  If you can't see with that on your TV is broken, the screen gets glarey.  Also the weapons have flashlights.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By RedSox8933

That was terrible. My hopes for that game to be good just went down the toilet. It's pretty disappointing, too. I loved the original game.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Man. I was just about to go download it then I remembered my 360 is broke. :(

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on the demo. I loved Butcher Bay.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Ah... I quit early.  Couldn't get use to the controls.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond

People who are saying the controls are bad but they played the first one : WTF?  They feel exactly the same...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
Diamond said:
"People who are saying the controls are bad but they played the first one : WTF?  They feel exactly the same..."
Yeah. They were OK back then, they're pretty damn bad now. Especially with the drones.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Diamond
Jayge said:
"Diamond said:
"People who are saying the controls are bad but they played the first one : WTF?  They feel exactly the same..."
Yeah. They were OK back then, they're pretty damn bad now. Especially with the drones."
Just like the momentum of how the characters move and weird stuff like pressing X to go stealth?
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By DarkGamer007

I can't wait to play it, I'm downloading it now. :) How are the graphics on the Xbox 360?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hatking

AHHH YOU CAN SHOOT OUT LIGHTS!?!?!?  Wow that is awesome.  So used to games like Rainbow 6 where you'd think shooting out lights would be obvious but it isn't in there.  Dang well I guess I'm playing through the demo again.  I like the game but the actual shooting felt a little clunky.  I don't see the multiplayer being very big either which is a shame because some of the modes looked pretty awesome.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_
Diamond said:
"Jayge said:
"Diamond said:
Yeah. They were OK back then, they're pretty damn bad now. Especially with the drones."
Just like the momentum of how the characters move and weird stuff like pressing X to go stealth?"
Mostly. It could be that I'm just not used to it, but I wasn't impressed enough to bother getting into it beyond one playthrough anyway.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By vidiot

Didn't have any problems with the controls at all, perhaps I need to replay it. Then again, I've been playing Killzone 2 for the past week...draw your own conclusions...

From what I saw it was pretty awesome. I don't see why this wouldn't be a day one purchase for most people as it's already bundled with a remake of what many consider to be the best movie tie-in game of all time, plus a sequel, and a multiplayer component.
Although I'm on the fence regarding that seeing StarBreeze's track record with The Darkness multiplayer. There's a part of me that kinda wishes they just focus exclusively at what they are good at: Making phenomenal story driven FPS content.

The demo does a good job letting you experiment with stealth and guns blazing.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hatking

I didn't think the controls were bad...the shooting felt weird but not bad...just clunky I guess.  I thought everything else was pretty standard FPS stuff...except maybe the stealth button which I actually really liked.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Diamond
DarkGamer007 said:
"I can't wait to play it, I'm downloading it now. :) How are the graphics on the Xbox 360?"
It's quite good looking, a big difference over even the old PC port (which was a big upgrade over the Xbox 1 version graphically).  Of course it's not the same area in the demo as the original game so we'll have to see how upgraded the old areas are.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#23  Edited By gla55jAw

I liked the demo alot. I never had an Xbox so I never played the original. I'll deff get this tho.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By kush

Let's keep the demo discussion in this thread.