Rio’s Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run VIII Recap

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

Hi, welcome to my little recap of my effort to raise money for Pencils Of Promise. Four years worth of effort into raising money for different charities via video game live streams and not much has really changed on my end. But the one thing that has always improved is the amount of donations everyone manages to raise each year. With over $8000 raised we managed to support 108 kids that now get a chance to learn in a environment that’ll let them stay healthy and obtain materials to aid them in their studies. Thanks to everyone that streamed, donated and watched. Via a combined effort we managed to make this another successful community endurance run.

What I personally raised was $80 which is only one piece of a much grander effort.The main reason I keep coming back to support this event each year is that I know what it takes to truly get someone else to learn. I may not have done it myself but living with my mom who was a teacher her entire life it was pretty clear why it is important to support causes like Pencils Of Promise. But enough of me gushing about why I do this and go into what I actually did this year.

Day 1 Morning

The first two hours kicked off with some high speed rhythm action. If upbeat japanese pop is up your alley you might want to check out my minor look into a few of the 200+ songs in Project Diva Future Tone. After that I tested my fake translation skills in the first few sections of the Japan only Fist Of The North Star PS1 game.

Day 1 Night

The speed at which the developers expected players to play through Strider (2014) was a lot faster than I remembered. This was certainly not a speed run but boy I never quite stopped moving throughout the 4 hours it took to finish it.

Day 2 Morning

It wasn’t in my original schedule but I beat Strider so fast that I now had 2 hours to fill with something else. Which ended up going into overtime since I just had to finish off Fist Of The North Star. I enjoyed seeing scenes from the show play out in the graphical style of a PS1 game. I also played a bit of Panzer Bandits that plays and looks a lot like Guardian Heroes.

Day 2 Night

Renegade Ops is one of those arcade shooters that I enjoyed but never took any time to play through it till now. Turns out it’s alright and I don’t quite understand why Gordon Freeman is a character but I wasn’t not going to play him. A few more levels of Panzer Bandits at the end since it didn’t quite last the full 4 hours.

Final Morning

Tail Concerto is just one of the many unique ideas that managed to get made during the PS1 era. A game about a dog named Waffle catching a bunch of pirate cats with a bubble gun mech is quite the unique idea for a one off game. If anime whimsy doesn’t catch your eye then the “amazing” FMV in Gamera 2000 might just peak your interest. TC comes back at the end since G2000 is pretty short.

Final Night

I ended up playing through two different DLC’s for Half Genie Hero. Even though the levels remain similar they change enough via how they play differently that it was fun to play though both. Once again that didn’t last the 4 hours I scheduled so I played a bit of Project Horned Owl. A light gun shooter that was released on the PS1.

Overall a fun time for me that also succeeded in aiding a good cause in a unique way. Being able to raise money for places that I’ve never seen before feels good. But now I’ll have to look a bit closer to home later this year with Extra Life. Who knows what games I’ll pull out for that effort since I never quite know where my mind will be when November rolls around.

Bonus!

This was a team effort and some other fellow community members put up blogs as well. Maybe you missed them the first time so here is some minor details and links to each one that I know of.

@fattony12000 took his Cuphead skills to the next level and brought out the huge controller for Steel Batalon out to show everyone how crazy that game is to control. https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/fattony12000/blog/nothing-should-could-or-will-stop-the-community-en/117207/

@zombiepie found himself trapped in another lineup of Final Fantasy games. XIII and Mobius was his poison this time. https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/26-hours-of-final-fantasy-the-giant-bomb-community-1833494/#16