R.I.P. Quick Looks?

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hyperbolic title and i don’t want to complain too much given how weird everything has been but i’ve been kinda bummed that the only free series with multiple hosts seems to have been put on ice for the past couple weeks.

Where is the Streets of Rage QL, any Chimera Squad content? Or looks at smaller games like Jet Lancer?

Just miss the format is all, hope we can get some more in the weeks ahead.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 14

There was a SOF4 Quick Look - except it was solo ran by Jason

SOF4 Jason Stream

Not a traditional QL I guess but it was very informative about the game.

Not a whole lot of big games coming out and GB has never really covered smaller stuff like this Jet Lancer game with QL unless they're really starved for content. I can agree that maybe instead of another Alex drumming stream or Jeff playing more Mister games which we've had plenty of lately it would be a nice change of pace if they checked out some random smaller games. Ultimately it's on them what they wanna do.

I've found the content from the Lockdown that I enjoy and watch those. There is a decent variety so if you're not into old games like myself, then there is still plenty of other stuff to watch.

These are trying times after all.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By onlineatron

@humanity: Ah thanks, I missed that stream. Although tbh solo streams aren’t my thing and Jason ain’t my guy so it’s still a slight bummer. And GB have def put me on to smaller games before (at the start of all this there was that Another World looking game) so it’s not unheard of.

To be clear, I have been enjoying a lot of the premium stuff, everybody is doing a fantastic job. It’s just money is very tight for me after being furloughed and even though I consider GB an essential thing, I have considered unsubscribing until I’m back in work. But every free video being solo makes that an extremely tough call.

Anyway, I know this post is unnecessary and catty, just needed to vent online for a bit. Apologies.

finaldasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#4 finaldasa  Moderator

There also hasn't been a ton of interesting new games. Lots of ports.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the site is still tied to the idea of 2-3 people sitting on a couch is a quick look. Obviously that's not doable currently and their attempts to emulate that style remotely were, by their own accounts, extremely difficult to do. The PSO 2 quick look had the audio out of whack for most of it, and the FF7 quick look apparently took forever to set up. It sucks, but it looks like we'll have to wait for the CBSi offices to open back up for quick looks to return in full force.

Still, I'm enjoying what they are putting out.

DustDevilRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@onlineatron: I am actually with you, I was thinking of posting something similar until I saw your post. Giantbomb was one of my main ways of finding out about games and seeing if I would want to purchase something, but understand their limitations at the moment. Plus, I dont really enjoy most of the lets play/single person twitch stream style stuff that is the lockdown content. But they seem to be enjoy doing something different so as long they are still enjoying their job that's good, but I hope something to replace Quick Looks that does cover newer games comes back in some form.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It feels like the current format is folks taking a block of an hour or two. Maybe they're thinking about best ways to fill that time rather than 30 to 45 minutes for a Quick Look.

Kind of bummed because I would like some shorter videos, which is why I'm skipping a lot of content. This format works for their workflow right now, but all day streaming just doesn't interest me (although I have watched a handful). I do pay for premium so I have to be representing a portion of their demographic.

And I disagree that there are no decent new games to cover. Everything is weird now so I'm not upset or anything, but I feel like feedback is worth giving.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#8  Edited By Bonbonetti

For me personally, the Quick Looks have never been informative enough to affect my purchase decisions. My impression has been that they don't really know that much about the games they are [casually] testing out, hence a "quick look" and not "a review". There are other sites and people who do a much better job at explaining a new game, in my humble opinion.

I agree, I also prefer their co-op videos or those that feature multiple hosts, over the single-host ones. It depends on the game as well.

There's no shortage of new and interesting games in my opinion, that have arrived since the lockdown, but I think the GB crew is taking the time and opportunity to play games they've always wanted to play through, like Abby with Red Dead Revolver and Jan with Bloodborne. It's a good time to do things you've put on hold.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Its a crazy time right now but I'm also a little wary about content changing as well so I understand where its coming from. I like the produced stuff like say Crime Crew a ton.