Rock Band 3 sales figures are lower than GH:WoR

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By tebbit
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-01-how-many-copies-did-rock-band-3-sell  

In Europe at least. 
Jesus Christ, only 7000-ish copies sold!? I guess that the much-prophesied genre fatigue is for-reals. 
Now I'm really, really interested to see how the game fares in the US. I don't know why, but I feel like that's where the core fan-base is. 
More alarming is that Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock whipped its ass, by a significant margin. 

Any predictions for the American results? I've got my fingers crossed for surprise success. 

Whoops, this should probably go in the Rock Band 3 forums... sorry mods.
Appuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Appuh

It's not even out yet in the Netherlands :(

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By mazik765

It's probably because a lot of people feel that 'hey, we cant get WoR and play it with everything we already have or we can get RB3 and feel compelled to drop another large sum of money on plastic instruments to take up space in my living room'. That's not to say that the new instruments aren't cool additions from what I've seen, but if you're at the store, buying a new rhythm game and you see a $70 option and a $150 option...the choice is pretty simple.

You're right though, I'm sure that RB3 will fare much better in the US.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By cookiemonster

ugh. This is kind of sad. Maybe there has been more a lot more advertising for Guitar Hero?

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aishan

Rock Band has always had terrible support in Europe. We never got the RB2 generation instruments, for example.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tebbit
@Aishan: Hell, it took them a year to get Rock Band 2 the game over to Australia and New Zealand. I think it was a few months earlier for Europe, right?
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alternate
@mazik765: agreed

Here in the UK, for example, Guitar Hero seems to be getting heavy day one discounting.  Amazon prices for example:

Guitar Hero 6 game only £22 ($35)
Rock Band 3 game only £38 ($60)

Guitar Hero 6 plus a Guitar bundle - £50 ($80)
Rock Band 3 plus keyboard bundle - £100 ($160)
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By flaminghobo

The advertising and general support for the Rock Band franchise is atrocious in Europe.

somethingepic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By somethingepic
@Aishan:  what the hell did you guys do to piss off harmonix
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By recroulette

A main series Rock Band game has never, EVER beat Guitar Hero in sales.

The Beatles: Rock Band is the only game to have done it. 
And last year Guitar Hero had about 40 different skus out there.

egan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By egan85
@Tebbit:  Rock Band 1 came out in Australia a few months before Rock Band 2 came out in the US. We never got Rock Band 2.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Skald

I'm still waiting for the keyboard bundle, and I'm in Canada, a country that's supported pretty well.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By nintendoeats

I think we would be better off looking at the DLC sales figures, I'm betting that Harrmonix is way ahead on that front. Between the Guitar Hero brand recognition and the cost of a pro guitar or a keyboard, It isn't at all surprising that WoR is ahead.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CptBedlam

It will do much better in the US.

Here in Europe, Rock Band never got any advertising - since RB1 even. People only know GH over here and retailers almost only put GH on their shelves.

And GH:WoR did not whip it's ass. It only sold about 8k copies in Europe during the first week - which is almost as bad and even worse since GH is actually heavily advertised here.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aishan
@somethingepic: I wish I knew! We show them nothing but love, but they respond with anger and disapproval. :(
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By benjaebe

Yeah Rock Band was never really huge in Europe, at least Harmonix hasn't seemed to think so.  Guitar Hero is such a dying brand though - I have no doubt that the Rock Band guys are pulling in more than enough from their DLC sales alone to justify less-than-stellar launch sales.

Spooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spooks
@CptBedlam: agreed 

Went to a few stores over the weekend and saw stacks of GH bundles all over the place but no sign of any RB stuff. It also looks like all the PS3 instruments were delayed (at least in the uk) as I was looking to pick up the keyboard but couldn't find stock anywhere. 
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tebbit
@egan85: It was the same over in NZ, although we got Rock Band 2 about a month after The Beatles: Rock Band came out. Before then you could only import it, and none of the European DLC songs would work with it.
mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By mosdl

Also, sales should get better as the holidays get closer.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azteck

Didn't even know it was out in Sweden. Haven't seen a single piece of advertisement for it here, but that's not unusual. And most likely, it's because the Pro-mode has been so heavily pushed to media that people immediately think that they need to put down money on an even more expensive plastic instrument than previous games have had, and that they don't want to do that.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

That's fucking crazy. I was under the impression that since Rock Band 2 they were selling more than Guitar Hero. I was expecting Warriors of Rock to bomb, too.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iam3green

i think it is time to stop making rhythm based games. i do think that in america it will be better. people do not want to spend another $100 for instruments. i only got guitar hero 1 and 2 for the ps2 and then stopped buying them because i sucked at them.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman
@iam3green said:
" people do not want to spend another $100 for instruments. "
Yo... that's what the stand-alone disc is for. 

Just because you are admittedly bad at the games and don't like the games doesn't mean they should stop making them. If that were the case, I'd say Capcom should stop making Street Fighter.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By shirogane

Rock Band might as well not exist in Australia. It's pretty much impossible to get the instruments here. I asked the guy at EBgames the other day and he was like ',,,try ebay?'
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tebbit
@Shirogane said:
" Rock Band might as well not exist in Australia. It's pretty much impossible to get the instruments here. I asked the guy at EBgames the other day and he was like ',,,try ebay?' "
To be fair, EB Games are not exactly known for their able representatives.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MysteriousBob

Nice to know that this stupid fad genre is dying out finally.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hourai

Wow, that's terrible. I never expected it to sell well, but I never expected it to bomb this hard either. 

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ramone

This doen't suprise me in the slightest. Here in the UK there has been almost zero advertising or marketing and no stores have been pushing it. The various insturments are usually pushed in a corner somewhere that no one can see them. Also the price is ridiculous, If I wanted all the instruments and the game it would cost me something like £300 upwards.

Icadae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Icadae

Well, the bundles are pretty crappy to be honest. I'll get RB3 next month or so, but looking at the availability, it sure doesn't bode well. 250$ for RB3 + Keyboard bundle in Denmark, as the cheapest. No RB3 + Guitar bundles at all, Drums are super cheap IF you buy the RB1 version, RB3 madcatz will run you upwards of 120$ without the game. But who wants to play Rock Band 3, with drums, when you have to buy an additional Add-on for Pro-mode. The stand-alone instruments are not going on sale until 19th November, at 120$ for a keyboard alone. 

I'm not surprised to be honest, but I'm abit sad to hear that it's doing that much poorer as I prefer the franchise to that of Guitar Hero.