RTX 3080 Launch

• 65 results
Even

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Did anyone manage to get one of these cards at the 9AM EST launch?

NVIDIA's site had a "Notify Me" link instead of a purchase link unless you knew the exact URL to go to, and by the time they sent out the "RTX 3080 is here!" email, it was out of stock.

NewEgg was down for 10 minutes, and by the time it came back up, everything was out of stock.

The cards at BestBuy seemed to toggle between "Coming Soon" and "Add to Cart" and "Out of Stock" randomly. If you managed to add one to your cart, during checkout it would say "Sorry, this item isn't available!" and it would delete it from your cart.

I've been refreshing Amazon fairly frequently and none of the cards ever showed anything except "Currently unavailable." I even subscribed to a few cards to "Notify me when available" and it never did.

Did I just have rotten luck or was this launch pretty crappy?

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No, they made it increisbly easy for bots to scoop them up. Incognito and private windows(a form of browsing used b tv bots) gave more accurate pages.

They were sold out within a fraction of a second of going live. I doubt any real consumer got one.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, same thing happened to me, went from coming soon to out of stock on three different websites

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, check their twitter. not one reply about actually getting one lmao.

Makes sony's pre-order mess look good tbh.

You can get one on ebay for like 1500$ - 10,000$ though :-)

Tunnelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I got in a preorder for a prebuilt system, but I went for that only after failing to get a card this morning. I managed to see the “add to cart” button once on newegg, but couldn’t even get it in the cart before selling out. Really wish they’d use some sort of preorder or raffle system for these limited inventory releases.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who occasionally buys limited release clothing, this is typical badly run online seller bullshit. Sucks when it happens.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I signed up for several Notify Me emails and didn't receive any of them yet. I didn't even get to see an Add to Cart button.

What a sham.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mobiusfun: I got an email.....at 9:15 cst(an hour+ after they went live).

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hear speculation that this was just a paper launch and most the FE on ebay are fake.

Bromil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toughshed: Ditto from someone who dabbles in toy collecting. I see these order woes with the 30 series and PS5 preorders, nod my head, and go "Yep, that's gonna happen, unfortunately."

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bromil said:

@toughshed: Ditto from someone who dabbles in toy collecting. I see these order woes with the 30 series and PS5 preorders, nod my head, and go "Yep, that's gonna happen, unfortunately."

The issue though, this didn't happen with the other nvidia launches. There is pretty good speculation, that nobody who was a real customer actually got a card. I've ordered launch stuff before, and I don't think I've ever seen a major brand like this not even get into the hands of real customers before.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"New RTX 3080 Graphics cards are available NOW!!"

"Well yes, but actually no"

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

There was an Amazon page for a Geforce 3080 up late last week for a hot second and I bought one then. I haven't had an email about a cancellation, but it does say the item has no stock. I'd prefer an FE card but it will likely be many months before any stock at all is available.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like all Aus retailers are cleared out but Scorptec seems to still be taking money and then you get a place in a 'queue'. I wonder if those queues are 6 months long yet though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Why can't they force every customer to have a verified account before purchasing and only allow 1 per IP address? I know that's not foolproof but it would help alleviate this issue a lot

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ToughShed

@oursin_360: I completely agree but just saying I've seen this before. They fucked up the selling and allowed it to be ransacked by resellers with shitty practices, same thing @bromil mentioned in the toy sphere.

I mentioned clothing, certain brands that have similar limited releases I've had the exact same experience multiple times and seen them not really fix the issue ever either. I reject the whole clothing resale online market and don't involve myself in it, but there are huge reseller markets for those clothes on ebay but especially specific resale clothing apps. People buy them as investments and make hundreds of dollars or more so there's the same bot shit going on there as here. It's especially terrible in shoes, which is something I don't really care about that much so that's good.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'm not sure which option is worse- not taking any precautions against bots, or this being a paper launch. Maybe it's both! Very disappointing either way. Hopefully they speak up on how they are going to address this soon.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really curious how much of this is from a wave of scalpers more than anything else

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Welp, glad that I didn't panic sell my 2080 Ti to try to buy a new card.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By frytup

I'd like to think Nvidia learns something from this and gets a lot of 3070 stock into retail channels before Oct 15, but let's face it. They don't really care.

A sale's a sale, and bots reducing supply just creates scarcity buzz that drives more demand.

Bromil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: To their credit, EVGA had a one-card-per-household rule in effect, but their stock was still sold out.

This article mentions brick & mortar stores only having 10 to 15 GPUs at release time, and Nvidia apparently tweeted that the entire 30 series stock won't go on sale Day One; which makes me think the release stock was absurdly low and scalpers/bots made the shortage even worse.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: That's exciting, in sort of the way a gamble is.

Thin_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the worst one of these launches in a long while. I recall just logging on morning of for the 1080 and ordering two, and then for the 1080 Ti I remember waking up, seeing them in stock in like three different places, and taking my pick of which place to order from before work.

This is the first one of these in a while where all the derisive calls of "paper launch" seem to be accurate.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dsjwetrwete

After trying to get a PS5 and 3080 pre-order and failing, I'm fine with waiting especially since it's more FOMO than anything. And more so that the rumor of a 3080 20GB and 3070ti 16GB have been reinforced. If I'm already willing to spend $700-800 on a GPU... https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-teases-geforce-rtx-3080-with-20gb-memory

(I still really want a PS5 and demons souls though)

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@bybeach said:

I know! I can't wait until I make several payments on my credit card, and then get a cancellation, and then have free money on my credit card!

That's how credit works, right? Right????

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach said:

I know! I can't wait until I make several payments on my credit card, and then get a cancellation, and then have free money on my credit card!

That's how credit works, right? Right????

Well, I would not turn up my nose when new money magically appears to replace the money that went away. It's like Napalm in the morning, almost like getting ahead in the world.

Sort of...

But that gamble is that a 30xx card will magically appear for you. It's very thin I know, but who knows what tomorrow will bring! ( But usually something you didn't want, granted)

smellylettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah no luck for me either. One second it was "not yet for sale" , then sold out. Saw some images of a hundred or so people lining up all night at microcenter or something. Seems to be huge demand for these cards. The bots didn't help that's for sure.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MerxWorx01

I hear Andy Milonakis was able to scoop a couple 3080s just to so Ron Funches misses out.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Missed out and whatever. Paper launch gonna paper launch.

My 1070's old, but still works just great for 1440p for what I play. I wouldn't mind more horse power for VR - a few months back, I was very much looking forward to Quest 2, but that's a hard pass for me now.

Only new titles I'm looking forward to right now is BG3 and Squadrons.

There are a bunch of folks for whom 10GB is just fine, but if I'm going to plunk $700+ down on a card, I want it to last a while. I'd plop down $800 for a 20GB version.

This also gives me a chance to see what AMD has in October. Not that I'll hop on AMD for a GPU - I've never had good luck on AMD GPU side, but it should push a response from nVidia.

Avatar image for inspectorfowler
inspectorfowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had tabs open for Nvidia, Newegg, Best Buy, and B&H.

I had the same experience at Nvidia as everybody else - "Notify Me" one second and "Out of Stock Forever LOL" the next.

Same experiences y'all had at Newegg - site is up, site is down. Site is frozen. Cards would show available and if I can't have the FE I don't see a measurable difference in the rest of the (IMO) ugly 3-fan cards, so I'd click frantically. No help there.

Best Buy sucks so very hard and this was absolutely the rule of the day there - misleading "buy" buttons, items getting removed from your cart but then you couldn't try again because sometimes it wasn't removed, etc.

The funniest was B&H, which was getting hit so hard Cloudflare seemed to assume it was a DDOS (or similar, I'm not an IT guy) and shut the site down completely for a bit. When it came back and I made my way back to the 3080 section and hit F5 it gave me my IP address and said I couldn't have access. I am a hacker, you guys! I got banned! But it was only for a few minutes of cooldown.

I work nights and eventually just gave up to get some sleep.

I built a whole PC assuming a 3080 would be the centerpiece upgrade and I'm really excited for it. We've been working a BUNCH of forced overtime this year at my job and I am trying to turn Suffering Into Silicone™ but I guess I can't spend no money if there ain't no product to buy.

Moskelosk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got lucky and managed to get a 3080 Gaming X Trio.

Finally I can get rid of my 1080 Ti which I've had such large issues with lately.

Just need to wait until Tuesday now for it to arrive.

OtterChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess we can wait until next week to see the same thing happen for the 3090's. I can wait for supply to catch up with demand and wanted to see AMD's cpu/gpu offerings as well.

Tunnelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The launch is frustrating to be sure but I wonder what the inventory numbers really look like. With covid I’m sure there were significant manufacturing issues, I’m sure it’s data we’ll never know but I wish we’d get to hear about Nvidia’s whole experience.

Moskelosk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lizamusk: https://youtu.be/oTeXh9x0sUc for the FE.

The early parts of the video might or might not be interesting to you, but there is plenty of timestamps, so you can easily skip forward.

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't going to buy one of these but, as I'm planning to get a 3070, I was watching this with interest. I, too, got the email from Nvidia an hour after they sold out.

I look forward to a repeat of this shit show next month.

ehson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks to me like rtx 3080s will become readily available when Rdna2 gpus launch. There is still plenty of rtx 2080s to be sold. good marketing move nvidia and how many youtubers received an early 3080 to dangle in front of everyone? What a joke launch. Somehow Sony manages to do the same with breaking street date.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Eh, I'm sure it sucks, but chilling a bit is probably the right call anyway. We still need third party benchmarks for the 70 and 90, plus there's rumour that the reason the 80 is priced this reasonably is because AMD has something up their sleeves as well.

waiting a month or two might work out.

As for me, I'm gonna need a whole new machine when I upgrade, which is probably early 2021.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By frytup

Gamers Nexus basically reviewed the launch. Interesting watch if you're curious about initial numbers given to retailers and how supply might look for the next couple of months. Take with a grain of salt, of course. People could be BSing.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I pre-ordered a 3080 some time ago and it shipped yesterday (in Norway)
but I see they're basically sold out well into December here.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By OurSin_360

seems like the best bet if you want one guaranteed is to buy a prebuilt system. I mean if you got one with similar components you already have, you could probably get at least some return buy selling stuff on ebay to offset the other costs. But I would just wait

Even

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nvidia made a blog post about the 3080 launch:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-3080-qa/

Our community has asked questions in the past few days since the launch. Jensen’s personal email has been flooded with requests to help. He wants everyone to know he is working with the team.

Of course it has.

As with many other etailers, the NVIDIA Store was also overrun with malicious bots and resellers. To combat this challenge we have made the following changes: we moved our NVIDIA Store to a dedicated environment, with increased capacity and more bot protection. We updated the code to be more efficient on the server load. We integrated CAPTCHA to the checkout flow to help offset the use of bots. We implemented additional security protections to the store APIs. And more efforts are underway.

I guess that's a nice upgrade for the 3090 launch in a few days. Hopefully the 3080 is back in stock soon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@even: I've secured a Ps5 and Series X, at this point I'm done obsessing over the 3080(if I HAPPEN to find one in stock randomly I'll get it), but my sights have moved to the 3070 or what AMD has. Which I'm still holding out hope it's better than what has leaked so far. Bummer that RT isn't coming till next year though.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been watching alerts and refreshing pages for 5 days and my luck finally paid off and have a 3080 coming in a couple of days. I literally had an order go all the way through paypal payment process on day one on best buy website but it said can't ship to store and to select another option and by the time I did that it was gone. I was pretty frustrated but was able to find another place selling them for about 5 mins before people caught on.

Highly recommend this site: https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx3080/

Amazon still hasn't posted their entire SKUs online so if you have "Paypal Buy Now" set up that is probably going to be your best bet when it goes live. Several of the cards from Amazon have popped up today for 1-2 minutes, and they are updating the URL on some of the links which means at some point the flood gate is about to break.

It isn't a bad idea to have a browser open with several of these tabs pre opened on it just so all you need to do is switch tab and click refresh that way you don't have to to a site and search because you only have about a minute before the scalper bots have got to it.

If you have a Micro Center in your area they are constantly refreshing stock of the 3080 and 3090s and people have been camping out over night for them as well and had some success. Some other countries have fared better than the US it sounds like with retail stores getting large shipments of inventory almost daily.

There are some rumblings in the channel about EVGA releasing some cards on their website today. This is all speculation, but speculation got me a card earlier so historically it isn't the worst advice you could receive. Best bets at this point is to keep your eyes on that channel and see what people are saying.

Even

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steveurkel: Very helpful, thanks! Now to either roll the dice and hope for a 3080 to randomly show up, or go through this whole process again with the 3090.

kornnugget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@even: No, but it might be for the better, there might be a price change after Big Navi launches. I don't think it is going to crush the 3080 or anything like that but it might put some market pressure on the price of the 3080.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@even said:

@steveurkel: Very helpful, thanks! Now to either roll the dice and hope for a 3080 to randomly show up, or go through this whole process again with the 3090.

I wouldn't waste money on a 3090 if you're getting it for gaming.

miserywizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would this card be good for doing 3D modeling/rendering?