XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By XxBarretxX

Sackboy would play just like Kirby.

Sadly, I think this sounds pretty bad and unlike others are pumped I expect a fighting game equivilant to Heroes on the Move.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#53  Edited By DarthOrange

Reggie and Major Nelson can be the tag team final bosses.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By kishinfoulux

Awful game will be awful. Let's stop copying Nintendo okay Sony?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By iam3green

meh, i don't really like fighting games all that much.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I can't even think of a sony character that I would want to play as.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#57  Edited By willin

Kevin Butler and Jack Trenton as a tag-team final boss.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By Hizang

It sounds good on paper, but doe Sony have enough characters?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By xyzygy
@kishinfoulux said:

Let's stop copying EVERYBODY, Sony.
XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By XxBarretxX
@xyzygy said:
@kishinfoulux said:

Everybody copies Everyone else....I think that's how it's suppose to work.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Gabriel

The only way this could work if it is fucking stupid as hell, like Jack Trenton as a playable character and a car from Gran Turismo. Also probably gonna need some third party support.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By NegativeCero

I feel like if they do make this they would be reaching because I don't think some of Sony's characters fit very well

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#63  Edited By Yummylee

Tower Knight from Demon's Souls will be my main.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By jjnen

I would just like to have a good Smash Bros. clone on a console I care about. That is all.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#65  Edited By StarvingGamer

Amazing how so many people can determine the quality of a game that they have 0 information about and quite possibly may not even exist.

And what the fuck is up with the "stop copying Nintendo" criticisms? If this industry wasn't big enough to support two quality games of the same genre we'd have 12 total franchises ever.

Well whatever taters, I'm gonna remain cautiously optimistic. What is this potentially the third fighting game that Kratos is going to be in?

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By upwarDBound

I'm not really a fan of Super Smash Bros to begin with so this idea sounds pretty terrible. Even though I don't really care for the games, Smash Bros is stocked full of memorable Nintendo characters. There aren't really very many Sony characters that have the same cachet. Kratos and Nathan Drake are well known but who else is there? Not including third-party characters I mean. Nope, I think Nintendo has this concept locked down and it would be silly for Sony to try to get in the ring so to speak.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Yummylee

@upwarDBound said:

I'm not really a fan of Super Smash Bros to begin with so this idea sounds pretty terrible. Even though I don't really care for the games, Smash Bros is stocked full of memorable Nintendo characters. There aren't really very many Sony characters that have the same cachet. Kratos and Nathan Drake are well known but who else is there? Not including third-party characters I mean. Nope, I think Nintendo has this concept locked down and it would be silly for Sony to try to get in the ring so to speak.

People in this thread have already posted a multitude of other characters that fit to bill for starring in it. Plus there's all the franchise supporting characters, too, which SSBB features A-plenty of. Naturally this Sony Smash Bros. wouldn't feature as broad a cast as Nintendo's, but filling the Sony roster up with characters wouldn't be an issue.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:
@kishinfoulux said:

Whatever Sony are doing, it seems to be working out pretty well for us gamers. I don't know what you're complaining about. 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Yummylee

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@xyzygy said:
@kishinfoulux said:

Whatever Sony are doing, it seems to be working out pretty well for us gamers. I don't know what you're complaining about.

This guy can simply never pass up a chance to piss all over Sony and the PS3. I'm just surprised he's still doing it after so long now.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Yummylee

@RecSpec said:

Steel yourselves folks. Here are more characters not mentioned yet they could add.

• Scott Shelby (Heavy Rain)
  • Tag (Modnation Racers)
  • Jarvis (PAIN)
  • Gloria (Hot Shots Golf series)
  • Buzz
  • Wipeout Ship
  • Noby Noby Boy
  • flOw creature (flOw)
  • Gust of wind (flower)
  • Ico
  • Colossus
  • Monkey (Ape Escape)
  • LocoRoco blob
  • Carwash guy (Gran Turismo)
  • Mannequin (Echochrome)
  • Any character from Siren

I know they're all joke picks, but still, y'know who I'd really love to show up?

• Jen (Primal)... bloody loved this game way back when. <3
DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By DeF

This is such a stupid idea. Sony's IP mascots don't have nearly the same pull as Nintendo's. I don't even like Smash Bros that much but this is just a terrible idea from all angles. I hope this is a very late/early April Fools joke.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ExplodeMode
@DeF: A lot of the cast of Smash Bros isn't (or wasn't) very well known.  How many people could have told you about Game and Watch or Marth?  I didn't know what Captain Falcons name was before he started shouting falcon punch and I played F-zero long before Smash.

If the game is good people will come to know those characters, so it's probably a pretty good idea if you want to make them more recognizable.
DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By DeF

@ExplodeMode: In theory, sure. But that whole concept is totally not a fit for any other platform. For starters, it just screams imitation and that "reveal" doesn't make anything about it seem original. There is still also huge difference between the Smash Bros roster which has mostly characters created during the same era, all of whom bring a certain aspect of nostalgia with them. Putting them into the same context just doesn't feel off (except for very few obscure characters like R.O.B. or Mr. Game & Watch). In typical Nintendo fashion, there is also no real age barrier with any of the characters. Everything is kinda cutesy or abstract comic-mischief.

Having a fight between Kratos, Nathan Drake, Parappa and Sly just seems incredibly off putting and randomly forced. The gritty and/or realism-based IPs just don't work for me in that context. Nate, for example, doesn't have anything in terms of crazy moves, he'd just be a regular fighting dude who might pull out a gun or throw a grenade now and then. This whole thing (if real) seems like a really bad idea. It's just too random and I really doubt people would storm out and buy that 'cause I honestly don't see a comparative universal love for these types of characters.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@DeF said:

Having a fight between Kratos, Nathan Drake, Parappa and Sly just seems incredibly off putting and randomly forced. The gritty and/or realism-based IPs just don't work for me in that context. Nate, for example, doesn't have anything in terms of crazy moves, he'd just be a regular fighting dude who might pull out a gun or throw a grenade now and then. This whole thing (if real) seems like a really bad idea. It's just too random and I really doubt people would storm out and buy that 'cause I honestly don't see a comparative universal love for these types of characters.

If it's fun, why the hell should anyone care what the disparity is between the characters? If anything, the differences between them would add to the insanity of this, which I would think would be a benefit. You can't tell how they'll handle Nathan Drake just because all you think of him is "guns and grenades". His rumored Level 3 Super is turning everyone into defenseless monsters, after all, so he could conceivably be a Dr. Strange type who uses ancient artifacts for magic spells and such, like turning into a horde of spiders. Being "random" isn't a flaw in my book. You should look at games like at other compilation games like DreamMix TV World Fighters and see how your argument against inherently different characters fighting holds up. Solid Snake fighting Optimus Prime fighting a BeyBlade character? Crazy. But crazy in a great way. Same with the Jump Super Stars games.

And I don't see how you can say not many people love the Sony characters compared to the Nintendo ones. There are several who love Kratos or Sweet Tooth. Being "cutesy" is not a necessary element for character appeal. Hell, seeing what games the mainstream respond to more nowadays, the "gritty" characters of a Sony Smash Bros. could potentially make that game more popular than Super Smash Bros.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By DeF

@FluxWaveZ said:

@DeF said:

If it's fun, why the hell should anyone care what the disparity is between the characters? If anything, the differences between them would add to the insanity of this, which I would think would be a benefit. You can't tell how they'll handle Nathan Drake just because all you think of him is "guns and grenades". His rumored Level 3 Super is turning everyone into defenseless monsters, after all, so he could conceivably be a Dr. Strange type who uses ancient artifacts for magic spells and such, like turning into a horde of spiders. Being "random" isn't a flaw in my book. You should look at games like at other compilation games like DreamMix TV World Fighters and see how your argument against inherently different characters fighting holds up. Solid Snake fighting Optimus Prime fighting a BeyBlade character? Crazy. But crazy in a great way. Same with the Jump Super Stars games.

And I don't see how you can say not many people love the Sony characters compared to the Nintendo ones. There are several who love Kratos or Sweet Tooth. Being "cutesy" is not a necessary element for character appeal. Hell, seeing what games the mainstream respond to more nowadays, the "gritty" characters of a Sony Smash Bros. could potentially make that game more popular than Super Smash Bros.

No no wait. I didn't say not many people love Sony characters, I meant they are not as universally loved/liked. As I see it, there are people who like for example Kratos and Drake but don't give two shits about any others. You could say the same about Link & Samus vs. Ice Climbers and Pikachu but they probably get a pass much more easily or at least are at least recognized in some way. I find it really hard to describe, I just can't see this working, especially not how this rumor page describes it.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#76  Edited By ESREVER

I would love it if Gene from God Hand was in this.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#77  Edited By TepidShark

Think third-party characters will get in on this as well?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#78  Edited By crusader8463

Could be interesting I guess. Unless they get into getting Third Party characters to come in as well I don't see how they can have much of a varied roster in my opinion. I just can't think of many memorable Sony characters. Nothing of the likes of Nintendo since Sony really only hit popularity after the whole company cascot phase was over.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#79  Edited By recroulette

They should have made this a Power Stone styled game instead of another Smash Bros clone.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I can't think of enough Sony owned characters that would make this interesting.. Parappa the Rapper fighting Nathan Drake doesn't work in the same way as Samus vs Link does.

At best, it sounds like it could be a horrible Move game.

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By sionweeks

I want to see Kratos fight Kirby

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#82  Edited By StarvingGamer

If Parappa Kick! Punch!es Kratos, will it all be in the mind?

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#83  Edited By Pepsiman

This rumor has also been making the rounds in Japanese game blogs and the reaction seems to be a whole lot of bemusement. In case anybody was wondering what sort of characters Japanese players are "hoping" for, here's a quick run-down based on the comments in that link:

• Crash Bandicoot (Like many of the other ones, this seems mostly ironic, but there are a good number of people clamoring for him nonetheless. One guy goes so far as to say that there's no point in the game existing if Crash isn't in it. I like the cut of his jib.)
  • Toro and Kuro
  • Ratchet
  • Lightning (I guess many of them are just pretending the 360 version of FFXIII doesn't exist.)
  • Sackboy
  • (Solid?) Snake
  • The protagonist from Intelligent Qube
  • The kid from Boku no Natsuyasumi ("My Summer Vacation")
  • That other kid from Bombastic
  • The cast of FFVII
  • Ostrava (Technically possible since Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP)
  • Tales series characters

It's not a comprehensive list, nor a particularly plausible one, but yeah. My personal favorite from the bunch is the Intelligent Qube guy since that's skewing pretty obscure even from the Japanese side. Personally, though, I'm rooting for Vibri, because that other NaNa On-Sha game gets enough love as it is. The other obvious answer is the entirety of LSD, but I'm going to stick with characters I obviously know have a fighting chance first. Like Vibri.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#84  Edited By Brackynews

Thievius. Raccoonus.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TheFreeMan

Finally, my dream of Kratos being ko'd by Clank is within reach.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By FluxWaveZ

If the Michael ad was indeed foreshadowing for this project, I wouldn't be surprised to see characters like Ezio or Chell in there in some form as even though they're 3rd party, they're more associated with Sony than Microsoft.

But I still have a bit of difficulty thinking a game like this actually exists. Hopefully it gets officially announced sooner than later if this is a real thing.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By SpaceRunaway

@Pepsiman said:

Personally, though, I'm rooting for Vibri, because that other NaNa On-Sha game gets enough love as it is. The other obvious answer is the entirety of LSD, but I'm going to stick with characters I obviously know have a fighting chance first. Like Vibri.

I'm would so be down for a fighting game made entirely of NaNa On-Sha alumnus.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#88  Edited By Pepsiman

@SpaceRunaway: Frankly, I'm kind of surprised they haven't made some sort of fighting rhythm game by now. Somebody needs to answer the ultimate question that's burning in all of our hearts: Is Lammy or Major Minor the strongest!?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By SlightConfuse

this game need to have noby noby boy to be complete

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shakey1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Shakey1245

It's a wacky idea to be sure but the potential here for it to be something interesting and fun is high.

Hell maybe, at a long stretch, just maybe Sony could find a use for PlayStation Home by having you be able to play as your Home avatar.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Again with the rumors

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale" might end up being this game's actual title, if it even exists.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BBQBram

My first thoughts on this; Sony's characters are a lot less iconic (at least visually) and a Smash style game with a hodgepodge of backgrounds, items and characters would be really disparate and weird, but that might just be the charm of it. I dunno, if Fat Princess is already "confirmed" that shows how deep their cuts for the roster are going to be, which is cool but pretty obscure. The most obscure you got in Smash was Ice Climbers or ROB the Robot and that's just video game history at this point. Kratos, Snake, Drake, sure (although imagine those together in the same engine, they don't gel as well as all Nintendo characters apparently do) but once you start getting into Noby Noby Boy or the lady from Hot Shots Golf that's telling right there on how dry the well is on that stuff.

Now I'm not implying those are bad characters or character designs, not at all, just that they're not nearly as established as those few big ones and they'd need to be for mass appeal. It'll sell, but Sony is inherently not as character-driven as Nintendo whose whole livelihood comes from their stables of classic faces.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Oh wow, the whole show is going to be about the new game? Awesome! I thought it was just going to be a short 2 minute teaser with no actual gameplay footage. GTTV usually releases the goods

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By FluxWaveZ
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#96  Edited By mutha3
@FluxWaveZ said:

@RecSpec: S

• Kratos (God of War)
  • Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
  • Parappa (Parappa the Rapper)
  • Fat Princess (Fat Princess)
  • James Bond (...)
  • Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper)
  • Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
  • Colonel Mael Radec (Killzone)
What a terrible roster.

Sony doesn't have a strong history of iconic characters to pull from like Nintendo does. Not very interested in seeing this.
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By SlightConfuse

Gitaroo man better rate the roster

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By FluxWaveZ

So all of you saying that this was a ridiculous rumor or that it was never going to happen... Well, I believe it's time to eat crow.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@dudeglove said:

No, it's not, because it's an uninspired and incredibly dull idea for a game. Sweet Tooth vs. Parappa isn't exactly the fight of the century either.

But... I believe the game exists?