Ryan Gosling the game by Hideo Kojima

• 54 results
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So this is interesting. Kojima was just on twitter expressing his love for the new movie "A Place beyond the pines" saying:

"Place Beyond The Pines". This movie has given a special feeling to me who lost father in youth. I especially recommend boys to watch - Source

He then went on to say:

"I want to do 3D capture Ryan Gosling and Norman Reedus and make game with them." -Source

So here is my question. With Beyond two souls having Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe billed right on the front of the box do you think with advanced motion capture stuff like Fox Engine we will see the rise of Hollywood Actors being billed on the front of game boxes as the norm?

No Caption Provided

I mean we've obviously seen actors take involvement in stuff before like Vin Deisel being billed on the front of Wheelman but that was also made by Tigon studios which was founded by Disel himself. I'm more specifically talking about video games actually attracting actors who normally wouldn't have anything to do with the medium.

It might have just been an off the cuff thought from Kojima but I think Ryan Gosling and Kojima together could be well... interesting. I think Kojima is also one of the few guys in the industry that knows how to split the cinematography aspect of games and the actual GAME part of the games in a way that doesn't make the game feel like an obtuse un-fun thing and the story not feel like it was haphazardly thrown together around a mechanics based game.

No Caption Provided

You can say what you want about Metal Gear Solid's story being crazy and convoluted but Kojima specifically had themes for each game which he absolutely got across.

GENE, MEME, SCENE, SENSE , PEACE were the themes of his games they weren't just words they were ideas that were explored albeit with a heavy dose of Kojima crazy.

So... I'm probably looking way to much into what is a simple series of tweets but I think it might be an interesting idea and could be the turn the medium needs to get out of the mindset that video games = Call of Duty and Wii Sports. Thoughts? Anyone? I can't be the only one that thinks something like this could be potentially cool.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In the future of video games all video game covers will have Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson on them even if he's not in the game.

Some guy will go "That's not The Rock that's Vin Diesel!" but then he'll squint and look at the box harder and no wait you were right it's The Rock.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By nightriff

Knowing Hollywood they would fucking cast Mark Wahlburg as Solid Snake and just piss me off again

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I think games have became a more accepted from of work for established actors now, there are plenty of actors who I wouldn't have associated with games at all that have done VO work. I suppose "performance capture" becoming the norm is simply the next logical step for studios that can afford it.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Look at L.A Noire. Those people aren't just voice acting,it's as if they were filming a tv show. If games continue to grow I could definitely see Hollywood stepping in more. If thats a good thing... well I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Quarters

I would TOTALLY play a Kojima game starring Ryan Gosling and Norman Reedus.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Some kind of Miami Hotline and Drive mix-in with Gosling would be pretty cool.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey Girl, I just want to beat your brains in with a baseball bat.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Deranged

@quarters said:

Anything with Norman Reedus is an instant buy for me!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I think Kojima is also one of the few guys in the industry that knows how to split the cinematography aspect of games and the actual GAME part of the games in a way that doesn't make the game feel like an obtuse un-fun thing and the story not feel like it was haphazardly thrown together around a mechanics based game.

Look, I love the MGS series, primarily for the story aspects, but those games are the definition of bad integration of gameplay and story. You are either watching a film or playing a game, the blending of the two isn't really all that great.

As for the question, I think making the role of established actors a selling point is a positive direction, and performance capture can be great, but it doesn't really make sense for every game. Martin Sheen was fantastic in ME2 and ME3, but I think something would have been lost if the Illusive Man was just Martin Sheen. If every character in a game just became the actor voicing them, we would be losing a lot of the creativity and freedom in terms of character design that games can do much more seamlessly than live action films.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

I think Kojima is also one of the few guys in the industry that knows how to split the cinematography aspect of games and the actual GAME part of the games in a way that doesn't make the game feel like an obtuse un-fun thing and the story not feel like it was haphazardly thrown together around a mechanics based game.

Look, I love the MGS series, primarily for the story aspects, but those games are the definition of bad integration of gameplay and story. You are either watching a film or playing a game, the blending of the two isn't really all that great.

As for the question, I think making the role of established actors a selling point is a positive direction, and performance capture can be great, but it doesn't really make sense for every game. Martin Sheen was fantastic in ME2 and ME3, but I think something would have been lost if the Illusive Man was just Martin Sheen. If every character in a game just became the actor voicing them, we would be losing a lot of the creativity and freedom in terms of character design that games can do much more seamlessly than live action films.

What would be the difference between them playing a character in countless movies and playing one in a video game? With advanced facial capture actors bringing actual human emotion into it could be a game changer. Sure, games already do some of that now like Heavenly Sword but something is still lost when taking that raw data and making a model preform what the actor did. This isn't saying that ALL games would have to be this as obviously these actors would come with a high price tag but I think its an interesting throught if people like Gosling or Page end up showing up in games playing characters as themselves.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By development

In the future of video games all video game covers will have Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson on them even if he's not in the game.

Some guy will go "That's not The Rock that's Vin Diesel!" but then he'll squint and look at the box harder and no wait you were right it's The Rock.

After reading your comment I'm now legitimately confused as to which one that is. Fast and Furious 6 will help me straighten out my confusion, though.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@ll_exile_ll said:
@demoskinos said:

What would be the difference between them playing a character in countless movies and playing one in a video game? With advanced facial capture actors bringing actual human emotion into it could be a game changer. Sure, games already do some of that now like Heavenly Sword but something is still lost when taking that raw data and making a model preform what the actor did. This isn't saying that ALL games would have to be this as obviously these actors would come with a high price tag but I think its an interesting throught if people like Gosling or Page end up showing up in games playing characters as themselves.

Like I said, it would be excellent for a lot of games, but in many cases the voice may be a good fit for a character but the actor's appearance may not be. It would be a case by case thing. My only point was that I would hope that games wouldn't just wind up being all real people all the time when there is a so much potential for some creativity in characters designs as well.

I can't wait until motion capture is implemented in every game, but I just think using actor likenesses should be a case by case basis decided by what works for the particular game. If it winds up being a situation where every game is just filled with real actors I think some creativity will have been lost in the realm of character designs.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gaff

This isn't quite as new as you think? First few titles that come to mind are Apocalypse which featured Bruce Willis on its box cover and Omikron which featured David Bowie on its cover. And I'm not even talking about getting big name actors to do voice work (the most recent one being Dishonored, which had such big actors such as Susan Sarandon, Michael Madsen, Chloe Moretz in it).

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Hawkerace

@hawkerace said:

Hey Girl, I just want to beat your brains in with a baseball bat.

AND A REAAAAALLLL HERO.

REAL HUMAN BEING.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Vinny_Says

Just wanted to come in here and say that ya'll should go see' A place beyond the Pines' because it's a fucking awesome movie. I wonder what kojima will think of 'Only God Forgives' when that comes out.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Rafaelfc

Look at L.A Noire. Those people aren't just voice acting,it's as if they were filming a tv show. If games continue to grow I could definitely see Hollywood stepping in more. If thats a good thing... well I'll leave it up to you to decide.

At the very least, it means more coke-fuelled parties and sexual scandals in the gaming industry.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

He also said he wants to make a Mad Max game.

I think that would be rad.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By BBAlpert

Now I kind of want to see Raiden Gosling.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Sure, I'm in. I'd love to see Kojima do something besides Metal Gear.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FourWude

Do you want Shia LeBouef to be on the box of every other videogame, ever.

Because that's the world we're heading to. It's a Shia LeBouef world. And there's no space for anyone but Shia LeBouef.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By musubi

@fourwude said:

Because that's the world we're heading to. It's a Shia LeBouef world. And there's no space for anyone but Shia LeBouef.

Only if every game in the world ever is an even stevens game.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Blackout62
@sackmanjones said:

So clearly the ideal choice for Kojima's game is Aaron Staton, the more gentlemanly Ryan Gosling alternative with just the subtlest hint of Arthur Darvill.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My pants would explode if this happened. Make a game about Drive! YEAH!!! Ryan with his serious smiley face with all that mocap would be awesome.

Oh man. Now I'm sad that this won't happen.

On topic though, I think it'd be pretty awesome if more actors got into video gaming but only if it's going to be an interesting game. I don't want to see

CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 3

STARRING

SAM WORTHINGTON

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By awesomeusername

@mcderby4 said:

Are you saying you bought The Walking Dead Survival Instinct?! Because if you are, well, you're lost boy.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The bandaged guy in The Phantom Pain is... Ryan Gosling.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones: Well, seeing as how Team Bondi completely collapsed after the release of L.A. Noire, I can't imagine too many Hollywood execs are eager to jump into the game industry any time soon.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: We already have a Drive game, it's called Hotline Miami. Although,the game is sorely lacking in Ryan Gosling's face.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By Sackmanjones

@jacksmedulla: They didn't collapse because they game didn't sell ( I believe it did pretty well) it collapsed because of the morbid working conditions. Any studio ever would collapse in the same situation.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@demoskinos: sure although I have to wonder how long this trend will last. Hollywood actors ain't cheap and Video games have actually almost exponentially more scenes to shoot than a typical movie. Not sure if Hollywood actors are worth the money for developers frankly.

What was it, in the mid-90's there was a bout of HollyWood types being in PC games.? It has happened before...

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kojima and Tom Hardy, now that's a recipe for success

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By gaminghooligan

Ryan Gosling Nick Refn and Kojima need to team up. Hell let em make the game for Only God Forgives.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so dumb. I love it.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Deranged

Are you saying you bought The Walking Dead Survival Instinct?! Because if you are, well, you're lost boy.

NOP! I actually have not tried Survival Instinct :)

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcderby4: Great, keep it that way.

@awesomeusername: We already have a Drive game, it's called Hotline Miami. Although,the game is sorely lacking in Ryan Gosling's face.

No Ryan face/no shirtless Ryan=not Ryan Gosling. I appreciate Hotline Miami still, but it's not Ryan!

Now I feel like listening to the soundtrack but I have to sleep. Damn you!

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FLYmeatwad

Love Kojima, and MGS is my favorite series ever, but The Place Beyond The Pines was nearly unbearable. I'm not sure how Cianfrance went from something as promising (not great, but quite good and super promising) as Blue Valentine and follows that with something like TPBTP. That film is so thematically void and super contrived from a narrative perspective. Can't wait for Only God Forgives though, Refn has proven himself numerous times in the past and with Drive he seems to have finally found the visual style and prowess to go along with his early career promise.

I would play literally any game Kojima makes.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Winternet

Oh god, could you imagine how corny Kojima's Ryan Gosling would be?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GaspoweR

@mcderby4 said:

@quarters said:

Is this going to be the reboot of the yet-to-be-released BOONDOCK SAINTS Video Game, starring Ryan Gosling as the McManus cousin and Willem Dafoe returns to reprise his role as Special Agent Smecker?

No Caption Provided
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Deranged

@gaspower: You have officially destroyed my hopes and dreams :(

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ltsmash

@bbalpert said:

I'm embarrassed that none of my fellow GB users gave this the respect it deserves. Well done.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@fourwude said:

No no no no NO NO NO no no no no no!

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@ltsmash said:

@bbalpert said:

I'm embarrassed that none of my fellow GB users gave this the respect this deserves. Well done.

Thank you very much :)

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By wardcleaver

@demoskinos said:

@ll_exile_ll said:
@demoskinos said:

Like I said, it would be excellent for a lot of games, but in many cases the voice may be a good fit for a character but the actor's appearance may not be. It would be a case by case thing. My only point was that I would hope that games wouldn't just wind up being all real people all the time when there is a so much potential for some creativity in characters designs as well.

I can't wait until motion capture is implemented in every game, but I just think using actor likenesses should be a case by case basis decided by what works for the particular game. If it winds up being a situation where every game is just filled with real actors I think some creativity will have been lost in the realm of character designs.

Being a fan of the old Splinter Cell games, I have to agree that not every actor needs to have their likeness used. Love Michael Ironside, but really can't picture his likeness used to potray Sam Fisher.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hey gurl something something love on a battlefield

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Only if he hides in pink boxes from bad guys.

Or that.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what a great bump, a link linking to a Drive leather jacket for sale

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

wait a minute...... eva mendes is in that film, she's really under rated.

Kojima tweets things like how he likes Twilight, I lost track on him after that one.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I really didn't like Place Beyond the Pines.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: Eva Mendes is in Bad Lieutenant and thus inherently superior to everyone not in Bad Lieutenant, but aside from that she's kind of just okay; not amazing, not terrible.