Salute: 1UP Acquired By UGO, Downsized; EGM Shuttered

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
The giant crowd at the PAX 1UP Yours Live event was something to see.
There's no easy way to talk about people losing their jobs, especially when they're people you're friends with. Now-former Ziff Davis game property 1UPannounced its rumored acquisition by UGO today, with reports coming in from all over about massive layoffs and the closure of Ziff's sole remaining print magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly, in the wake of the deal. MTV Multiplayer has done the hard part for me with this report.

Rumors around the sale of 1UP.com and the future of legendary magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly are no longer rumors. Ziff Davis Media has announced the sale of 1UP.com and its web site subsidiaries to UGO Entertainment and decided to close down long-standing game publication EGM. “We believe this is a smart transaction for Ziff Davis Media that places these market leading assets and teams in a great environment poised for further success,” said Ziff Davis Media CEO Jason Young in the official release. “The transaction allows us to pay down debt and shift our full focus to our core PCMag Digital Network business. We thank our 1UP team members for their contributions and wish them the best of success into the future.” In addition to these moves, a series of layoffs have hit Ziff Davis. MTV Multiplayer has learned from multiple sources more than 30 people were laid off as part of the transition, including much of the GameVideos.com team. 1UP Show creator Ryan O’Donnell and producer Matt Chandronait announced that popular video podcast The 1UP Show would not be produced any longer on their Twitter feeds. Other notable layoffs include podcast producer Andrew Pfister.

Joystiq also has a rumored full list of the layoffs, indicating the bulk of the editorial and video departments have been let go.

We all have friends and respected industry colleagues among the (former) ranks at 1UP, and we were especially honored and humbled to appear recently on what's now become the last two episodes of 1UP Yours. Thus, this post is primarily here to express condolences and best wishes to those 1UP staffers who have departed the company. It felt a little weird to go on putting up the usual goofy game news and screenshots of Cammy while a bunch of other people making the same living as us abruptly found themselves out of work this afternoon.

We'll pour out a 40 or two for those chaps tonight, which--if you know us--is really the fondest farewell we could bestow.
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
There's no easy way to talk about people losing their jobs, especially when they're people you're friends with. Now-former Ziff Davis game property 1UPannounced its rumored acquisition by UGO today, with reports coming in from all over about massive layoffs and the closure of Ziff's sole remaining print magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly, in the wake of the deal. MTV Multiplayer has done the hard part for me with this report.

Rumors around the sale of 1UP.com and the future of legendary magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly are no longer rumors. Ziff Davis Media has announced the sale of 1UP.com and its web site subsidiaries to UGO Entertainment and decided to close down long-standing game publication EGM. “We believe this is a smart transaction for Ziff Davis Media that places these market leading assets and teams in a great environment poised for further success,” said Ziff Davis Media CEO Jason Young in the official release. “The transaction allows us to pay down debt and shift our full focus to our core PCMag Digital Network business. We thank our 1UP team members for their contributions and wish them the best of success into the future.” In addition to these moves, a series of layoffs have hit Ziff Davis. MTV Multiplayer has learned from multiple sources more than 30 people were laid off as part of the transition, including much of the GameVideos.com team. 1UP Show creator Ryan O’Donnell and producer Matt Chandronait announced that popular video podcast The 1UP Show would not be produced any longer on their Twitter feeds. Other notable layoffs include podcast producer Andrew Pfister.

Joystiq also has a rumored full list of the layoffs, indicating the bulk of the editorial and video departments have been let go.

We all have friends and respected industry colleagues among the (former) ranks at 1UP, and we were especially honored and humbled to appear recently on what's now become the last two episodes of 1UP Yours. Thus, this post is primarily here to express condolences and best wishes to those 1UP staffers who have departed the company. It felt a little weird to go on putting up the usual goofy game news and screenshots of Cammy while a bunch of other people making the same living as us abruptly found themselves out of work this afternoon.

We'll pour out a 40 or two for those chaps tonight, which--if you know us--is really the fondest farewell we could bestow.
McPlated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By McPlated

Rough beat indeed

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cspiffo

:^(  Farewell 1up and EGM :^(

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThomasP

:(

I wish them all the best of luck.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan

I never really visited 1Up's site, I only recently listened to their podcasts because the GB crew were guests.  Still its too bad to see anyone lose their job in these economic times.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By dj

Its a sad time when a team of writers as talented as the 1up staff cant stay afloat. I can only hope that all of these talented journalists can find work elsewhere.

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 33

#7  Edited By KillerFly

First Gamespot, now 1up.  This really hurts.  I hope to see those guys on another gaming website in the near future.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Artie

This is worse than the reason GiantBomb was made.

God this sucks.

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Terra1909

Good luck to everyone that lost their jobs.

pill92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By pill92

Wow ,with all the familiar faces and personality's that 1up had to offer gone there really isn't much incentive for me to visit the site any more.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By insanejedi

Although my feelings to 1UP are not as strong as my ones back in the good gamespot days, I still feel a heart wrench oh so familiar to the one a year ago. Those were good editors with good personalities, it's too bad that I got into 1UP only recently. The writing industry has suffered another blow.

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#12  Edited By KillerFly

"We'll pour out a 40 or two for those chaps tonight, which--if you know us--is really the fondest farewell we could bestow."

May I ask who they would be?

MrMondayNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrMondayNight

sad day for the videogame journalist industry

GoldenGreek117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GoldenGreek117

With 1up gone, I hope to find a new home here, at GiantBomb. To all those affected: May luck find you and fortune help you land on your feet. It's a sad day. 2009 starts with tears for the industry. 

:(
sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sdauz

man who really knows whats going on now anymore

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By albedos_shadow

Farewell, 1up. UGO-gate: 1/6/09.

Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By Spencer

A great magazine is dead, and a whole bunch of people lost their jobs... look on the bright side, it's probably not going to get any worse.  Plus, people are the most creative when they have nothing else to do or work on, so maybe the now unemployed can take a fresh look at what a gaming website should be instead of what it evolved into.  I mean, I absolutely love Giant Bomb, but there's probably a market for a new website done right.

_blank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By _blank

what a sad day. This start of this whole year has been rough for me, this doesnt help it much. I was hoping to wake up to this friday with a good laugh while watching the 1up show, but now thats gone. i hope the laid off staff form a site like giant bomb

tropicalmug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tropicalmug

I'll miss you shane, fitch, chuff, skip, cesar, giancarlo, greg, milky, jay freche, matt, donahoe, nick and phil (still group you kids table guys together), rynan, ryan scott, and all of the others who never received large time in front of the camera or mic but still made 1up what it was.

shane please pull a john davison and guest on "his goddamn show" every week when he starts doing it again.

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chewii101

Wow...I guess the recession is going to hit the gaming industry hard for a couple years. Wouldnt be surprised to see more websites and magazines getting closed or smaller.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mrfluke

seriously guys stay afloat do whatever you need to to keep going

because in my opinion giantbomb has literally become the outer haven of gaming journalism

ill pour a 40 in honor of those guys and keep big boss as my display pic in honor of the shane b

harrydemeanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By harrydemeanor

Farewell 1UP & EGM. You gave me hours upon hours of entertainment. Good luck to those who stayed and those who moved on to greener pastures.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By roofy

man im seriously in need of some new podcasts now that 1upFM and 1upYours are gone

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By heretrix

I was just listening to that podcast and wished that you guys would return on the show. It was a blast to listen to. This sucks. Although I didn't agree with everything they said on the show (who could?) they seemed like a bunch of cool guys. Best of luck to them.

Avatar image for gordonfreeman1500
GordonFreeman1500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're not gone, believe u me, they will be back, in some way, shape, or form, im just sorry ill never ever get to read a NEW issue of EGM. Good bye EGM AND R.I.P. 1989-2009.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Junpei

wow, horrible news. EGM was hands down the best mag out there for games. Sad day indeed.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By brukaoru

Best of luck to all these people, hope they can get through these tough times and are able to find a new job quickly.

XaiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By XaiaX

You guys show up, and not only does the show get cancelled, the entire network gets raped and pillaged and the magazine shut down.

Wow.

No one is ever going to invite you onto their podcast again, damn.

You should guestlist them next week, dudes. And you can all bitch about UGO together and get raging drunk.

No, I'm not just angling for you to make a 4 hour podcast with which to entertain me. I am being completely altruistic in my desires.

Honest.
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Jeff said:
"We'll pour out a 40 or two for those chaps tonight, which--if you know us--is really the fondest farewell we could bestow."
I feel you there, I already did the same....
Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recession keeps getting worse and worse.

shimbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shimbibby

Its really sad to see this happen. 1up was a great website with great personalities. To see their podcasts and the 1up show go is a terrible shame. I'm definitely going to miss Shane the most.

Sephiroth9997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sephiroth9997

Man this sucks.  I guess the Giantbombcast is the new podcast of the industry.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MasterSplinter

This is bullshit.
UGO blows.
Hire Shane and Skip.
Back to fetal position.

=(

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By trav3ler

The loss of EGM pretty much means the death of good American game magazines.  We gotta rely on Britain now for gaming magazine goodness (well, we can rely on them as long as EDGE remains in print.  If EDGE goes down, I will cry bitter, bitter tears.)

On a related note, now would be a really really good time for Giantbomb to start a monthly gaming publication.
dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dtran1212

I'll miss EGM, it was a good magazine

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By yagami

Dude yes, I am totally devastated that the 1UP employees had such bad luck on the start of the new year. Hopefully all of the people affected will find a new home. Will miss you, 1UP.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Samaritan

After the mass Gamespot exodus, I flocked to 1UP for coverage. When GiantBomb was launched I devoted most of my time spent there, here. But I still checked their site a couple times a week, I felt like I was getting to know their personalities and beginning to respect those editors as I do the GB crew. And now this? This is sad, it really is. As someone who has followed this industry closely for so long, it's always sad to hear about one firing, but when you have mass firings like this because of a corporate takeover, it really brings you down a level. I have a feeling these industry experts knew for awhile this was coming, which makes it all the more saddening, they'll be sorely missed and I do hope this will not be the end of those talented professionals.

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ferrarimanf355

Spencer, don't jinx it. This is 2 great 2 depressing we're talking about here.

I'd pour a 40, but 40's are illegal in Florida for some odd reason.

::pours two 20-oz bottles of Pepsi::

::salutes::

XaiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By XaiaX
Hire Shane and Skip.

I will pay MONEY to get a video bombcast the likes of the 1up show.

Not A LOT of money. Like, maybe a buck or two an episode. Or, at least, like, bus fare. Wait, shit. Bus fare is like a buck or two.

Damn.

But I like too much of the 1up crew for that to be at all feasible. Here's hoping they go independent like you fools did. Viva la indie gamesites.
MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#40  Edited By MeatSim

Thats a bummer. 1up and EGM were one of the better video game news sources.

swampwalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By swampwalk

My long, heart-felt response got deleted accidentally, so I'll just say this....

Someone over at UGO didn't do the proper research.  You expect to acquire 1up with its faithful user and fan base, lay off a significant portion of the staff and expect to retain that user and fan base?

<Kevin Pereira>  Really?..... really?.....  come on!!! </Kevin Pereira>

I anticipate the user comments section at 1up being shut down before morning.  There's a veritable shitstorm taking place.

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By djhicks1

i left gamespot after gerstmann-gate. guess i must say farewell to 1up. man, this is sad.

Churchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Churchy

Hey Giantbomb hire them all!

You can all take massive pay cuts, buy a year round timeshare and all live together to make it happen in some sort of hippie commune, but you know its the right thing to do!

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mars

Don't get me wrong .. I loved 1up and am very devistated that there will be no more podcasts ... but ... this is going to be HUGE for giantbomb readership. So many of us left Gamespot when Jeff and crew did, went looking for other sites, found 1up, and now will be leaving it too. Long live Giantbomb.com ... its a website!

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I'm going to really miss the 1UP Show and the specials produced for Gamevideos.com. IMO Gamevideos.com and 1UP FM were the jewels of the network. It's really quite sad. A toast to the greatest gaming legacy ever!

"because in my opinion giantbomb has literally become the outer haven of gaming journalism"

I couldn't agree more. Considering Giant Bomb is essentially a group of friends who share their love of gaming with the world by creating a site for other gamers to do the same, I don't really think GB will be going anywhere unless the crew decided it's over.

CrazyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CrazyGamer

I really understand how these folks must feel because today I was also hit with my first layoff. Let me tell you, it feels like crap :(

EvanFavreau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By EvanFavreau

Everything that was great about 1UP has now been destroyed. I now feel that I don't have a video game home on the web. Maybe i should give this whole "Giant Bomb" thing a try. And this "Bombcast" I've been hearing about...wonder if it's any good?

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By maxszy

I loved the 1UP Yours podcast. This is really a sad day to see such a great medium and production go away.

Even worse to see such people lose their jobs and wake up to much uncertainty the next day.

Wishes go out to them that they can find something new in the very near future.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TwoOneFive

this was dumb. why do these people make these cuts, they have a fanbase man

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#50  Edited By citizenkane

This is definitely a sad thing to see.  I have always enjoyed 1UP and EGM and the podcasts.  I wish for the best of their employees.