Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Samurai Shodown Anthology Preview

No Caption Provided

Hi friends, I hope that your all well and living life to the full

I just received my PAL review copy of Samurai Shodown Anthology Wii, after a two year wait for the game I should add.  I've been playing it for the past hour or two, at the cost of working on an important work project, lol. Oh man do I love this series!, even those weaker games found on the disc still have a great deal of appeal to me. As a result of this deep love, tonight I'm holding a veritable Sam Sho Fest!. I have a load of friends coming around later and we all we intend to get stuck in hardcore with it, in the garden, on a projector, with copious amounts of raw meat and booze included... "it's the only way to make sure"  Tonight I will also finally have an excuse to use my Wii NeoGeo stick, of course, nobody but I will be able to use it though, not unless they can take me off Arcade Mode with the required skill...

So far, I am pretty impressed with the game. I think Sam Sho fans and fighter fans in general are going to love this collection. Presentation is slick and colourful, not only does it look great running through component 480i  (great vibrancy in colours), the game also sounds fantastic. On the surface, it does indeed seem to be "Arcade Perfect" throughout, as SNK Playmore had claimed before hand.

The collection features all the 2D games in the fighting game series, the games 1-6. And there's also a Wii mini game included on this Wii version, using the Wii remote. [*woot!*] In this game you play as all the canines in the series. tilting the Wii remote left and right to collect Sushi and stuff while it's thrown to you by some Edo Express delivery dude....Yep, it's a throwaway game mode, but it is quirky, and fittingly so I think. Fighters don't get more quirky than Sam Sho.

The game may even possibly include the N64 3D game Samurai Shodown 64, as an unlockable, I do have that sneaky feeling, there are certainly unlockables to be found in this game. Anyway, more time with the game will shed some light on that, and other things.

Expect a review soon :)

Released in 1993, Samurai Shodown remade the fighting genre by introducing weapons-based combat. With it victory was made possible with a single stroke and the popularity of the genre soared.
Released in 1994, Samurai Shodown II featured special moves like weapon-breaking and an increased total of 15 playable characters, as the cocky Haohmaru gladly pursues forces that seeks to destroy him.
Released in 1995, Samurai Shodown III featured a fighting system overhaul that made it possible for players to choose from two sword types, as well as three levels of ability when entering into a duel.
Released in 1996, Samurai Shodown IV introduced multiple combo elements, such as slashes, sneak attacks and suicides to the fighting system as well as time limits making for more possibilities and ratcheted action.
Released in 2003, Samurai Shodown V increased the number of playable characters to 24, including four that are entirely new and introduced new features like "Sword Gauge" and "Concentration One."
Released in 2005, Samurai Shodown VI features 2D and 3D backgrounds, a large cast of playable characters from the entire series

Any love for the Samurai Shodown series on Giant Bomb???

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Samurai Shodown 2 

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Endogene

You bought yet another fighting stick? Not to much of a fan of the series myself but that is mostly because non of my friends are into fighting games and thus i had no one to play it with. More looking forward to the next version of Guilty Gear that will come out in about a month if I am not mistaking.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

No, no way, not another :). I have two Hori Wii Joysticks and one NeoGeo stick for Wii. I would love another Neo Geo stick but it's not going to happen, not now the cost is astronomical. 

It's a great fighting game series, the second game easily ranks as one of the finest fighting games ever. Get the second game on the Virtual Console, if you know what's good for you. 

I think it' style alone may tempt a few of your friends...in all honesty, as with any fighting game, it demands you play with two players.

I have the first Guilty Gear game on Wii, I found it quite disappointing that they removed the story mode from the game... The fact is the original Dreamcast game I have is much better.  

PSP version looks sweet enough..

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Have you tried the control scheme without the stick?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

Why do I want to play Jade Empire now? Good stuff, have fun.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
ahoodedfigure said:
"Have you tried the control scheme without the stick?"

It's pretty pointless given a Joystick is unbeatable, but yes, I have done for review purposes. The Classic Controller and the Gamecube pad worked fine. When I mean a Gamecube pad I actually mean this one, not a conventional one, which would be terrible:

No Caption Provided

This Super Famicom pad worked great also:

No Caption Provided

Claude
said:
"Why do I want to play Jade Empire now? Good stuff, have fun."

It has lashings of  great Japanese style, I think many would like it for that alone.

I am going to sleep only now Claude :) (6.00am) . I've been on the booze and undercooked meat since 8.00pm. I work for myself at home in my own studio, so it's all cool, but not great given I have a lot of work on... I will have make up for it, and pay the price with a hang over in the morning.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Marzy

Excellent preview LS, I really like the sound of this.

I've been after a decent fighting game for the Wii for a long time and it doesn't look like Street Fighter IV will come to the Wii. I've heard good things about the Samurai Showdon games in the past, from yourself. I'm definitely more tempted by this package than the King of Fghters package you reviewed.

I'm looking forward to reading your full review. Good luck with your work. : )

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoG

I love SamSho, and I played all of the classics in the arcade, home consoles, and recently on the VC. I never played V, and for some reason, I totally missed that a SamSho VI came out. I had been meaning to pick up the anthology, but forgot. I'm going to keep my eyes open now, though!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

Thanks Marzy.

@ BoG, if your a fan you should definitely be picking this up, at $29 it's a bargain given it's quality of content. Just make sure you have a decent controller to get the most from it.

@ Endo, I intend to get a copy of Guilty Gear XX Plus also, I see it's coming out on Wii on May 12th in the US. I guess we in Europe wont be too far behind. Hopefully I will be able to get that free also :D

fingofongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By fingofongo

Hmm if I do get it, it'll be for PS2, so that I can use my cheapass Mayflash sticks

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well using a stick is all important really, so perhaps you should. It may even be a touch cheaper on PS2.

If there is one negative with the PS2 version, it could be that the load times are slower, as with Orochi Saga. Still, I cannot say for certain having not played it yet. 
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#12  Edited By TobyD81

Cool, I love Samurai Showdown. Still wating for the PS2 version, and very eager to play 6 for the first time.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

I actually bought The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match for PS2, so I'm good, for now.