Saying goodbye to Giant Bomb

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fzzywarbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I remember when I got my first computer back in 1999. I was 13 years old and the very first thing I ever put in to a search bar was www.videogames.com . Gamespot was a treasure trove of content and knowledge. I learned much from the staff back then and continued for years. When Jeff was fired from Gamespot, I turned my back as well and followed the crew over here. To me there was never any comparison to other gaming journalist outlets. The group was a breath of fresh air in an industry that was smothered by obvious ad placements and rather shortsighted assessments of the media they were covering. In recent years a lot has changed. I understand that people change and while I respect that, I feel that a lot of these changes are forced. It's still a quality product, but enjoyment is subjective. I wish the best for the entire crew and I thank them all for the years of entertainment.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By geirr

Good luck to you out there, and I'm sure Giant Bomb's doors will always be open to you should you ever wish to return. o7

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

While I certainly can't say I understand this feeling in particular, I think everyone understands that slow, gradual progression where you suddenly realize "I don't like [thing] anymore". I know I do.

That sucks. But I wish you the best of luck and even better times.

glhb duder. o7

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nnickers

Don’t get the point, but

<> duder.

killerDLS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By killerDLS
Loading Video...

RIP Giant Bomb. “YOU SOLD OUT YOU SOLD OUT”

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By htr10

You’ll be back. I’ve seen what else is out there.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@htr10 said:

You’ll be back. I’ve seen what else is out there.

While this is half joking, there really isn't anything out there that compares. I might not like a lot about what is currently happening at GB, but it's stilll miles ahead of the competition.

TheRookie727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Goodbye and good luck to you dude. Always keep in mind that this site will always be here for you if you want stop by in the future.

sicamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: easy allies kinda does, but that's mainly because they pretty much copied the format of GB. if this guy is looking for GB style but with different personalities, it might appeal to him.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Do what you gotta do. Hope you enjoyed yourself, and come back whenever you want!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See ya later, dude who posted two threads in a row about Kingdom Come: Deliverance, commented "Gamergate: who gives a shit?", had his thread closed, and the very next day started a thread declaring that he is leaving!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally get it OP, Giantbomb has changed alot since 10 years ago. But no need to say bye, it will still be here should you decide to return.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: Exactly my thoughts.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: Lol, with comments like that, it doesn't take a great deal of imagination to interpret what "forced changes" means.

fzzywarbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: Yeah, that was a game I was excited about years ago when it was announced. Loved 2K Czechs previous releases and the concept sounded great. I had forgotten about over time until I recently stumbled across it. The gamergate thing is about as overblown as anything I’ve seen in the gaming world, especially regarding Daniel Vavra. If you read any of his interviews regarding it, you’ll see how ridiculous the “controversy” is. Context doesn’t matter in journalism today though. Context is too heavy a concept, instead lets focus on specific words said, take them out of context and blow them up to Godzilla sized proportions and scare the world with its mystical hate speech. Yeah there ARE a lot of shitty people in the world and a lot of racists and misogynists too. There will always be shitty people, but when you offer up a sacrifice using a person that doesn’t fit that extreme a bill, you devalue the actual shitty people and you lose the faith of a guy like me. A guy that has been around a long time.

2013 I made this profile because a previous profile was being stalked by an ex. In fact all of my online accounts had to be deleted and I had to create a new handle everywhere, shit happens. I haven’t written on forums in years. It peaked my interest a short while ago when I rediscovered KCD that GB wouldn’t cover it, even though it was released in the dead months. I found out enough why and while I respect their opinion on why they wouldn’t cover it, it’s just another brick in the wall between my interests and theirs today. They are good guys and I respect the work they’ve done for so long. Congrats on 10 years. And to other comments, you are 100% correct, there is nothing like GB out there.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird saying goodbye to a website, you can always just pop back every now and then

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@fzzywarbles: I've been thinking of writing a similar post too (although a much longer one) for months now but I keep procrastinating on it. But yeah, I'm slowly reducing my GB consumption these days, and that's fine. It's been 10 years, that's a really long time! Of course things/ opinions/ interests are going to change. Heck friends grow apart sooner. The fact that people feel like posting about leaving probably shows how important GB has been to our lives.

I still watch the QLs at night before sleeping though. That's been my ritual for years. Whatever the game, I usually find it so relaxing and calming to watch a few minutes before going to sleep. (And I'll be back for any Hitman content too, anytime!)

fzzywarbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armaan8014: That's exactly it. I'm 32 years old today. Some members of this staff have been in 2/3rds of my life. Their analysis over the years has been very insightful and their content for a large part of that has been very entertaining. When Ryan died I felt like I lost a friend. He had sleep apnea like myself and what happened to him urged me to get a cpap machine. I honestly love this crew.

I remember hearing a discussion Jeff had with a rather shortsighted person on Mixlr regarding "SJWs" a while back. I wish I could've had that convo with him instead of that dude that unstrategicly went off the deep end quite early and was left speechless. The major problem I have is I feel that the conversation is being avoided. I heard Waypoints talk about KCD and both Patrick and Austin explained why they don't care for Vavra. One major point was a shirt he wore for a Twitter pic that described all the shitty things people associated with gamergate are called. Some people handle adversity differently, he made light of it and that was taken as something serious. Its honestly ridiculous. I need to stop ranting, but it just makes me laugh that there is a guy out there that actually lived through censorship at it's ugliest, got away from it, made some awesome games and is now being censored because he's an honest guy that wants to create games in his own vision and speaks freely about it.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fair enough. I think the KCD situation was handled poorly, same with A Hat in Time. I'm surprised Detroit got a quicklook honestly. (I'm glad it did though)

<>

fzzywarbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: Can't speak on A hat in time, don't know it. Detroit though, I can totally see why this crew doesn't like his games very much. I personally love em and it was an honest quick look.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@fzzywarbles: Except he's not being censored. The site has two videos up for it, and the game was looked at if I recall during a UPF. Claiming that the only reason GB didn't cover the game more than that was due to political reasons is I think, a stretch. There are lists and lists of games they haven't covered. Let us note here to that tons of other sites and places have extensively covered the game. Is there a hidden rule I'm missing that means it's censorship if you choose not to cover a game (for whatever reason)?

Listen duder if you feel that politics are the reason your leaving the site, absolutely go for it. But I will make the argument that I think some of that is projection. Nobody is saying that things like Gamergate were entirely handled correctly by the community, but some people are willing to stand on a line and say regardless of the outrage over some of it, it's still important to disassociate from the horrible harassment and other things that happened in the wake of it. Period. Which fine, if you don't have that take, but trying to scapegoat instances of specific games coverage to fit into that mold seems a little...reaching.

What I really want to know, especially since we are on GB a site that is pretty neutral and tries to avoid politics and other things at a lot of opportunities in order to simply focus on playing video games; what is the fascination with needing completely like minded people to continue to watch content? It's clear from your post that your not just leaving due to not enjoying video series or something anymore. You may as well stop tip toeing. Your feel it's become too progressive or too liberal and that some of that is forced. But even if that were the case, your telling me you'd never watch Waypoint stuff because of that reason? I'm not even trying to bait or insult you here. I just don't get it. I do not get the desire to live in a bubble where you are only influenced by and hearing discussion on things that you absolutely 100% agree with on. No matter what you do there are going to be other people out there who cover things in ways you may not agree with, or have some different principles and morals than you.

Moving websites, giving up on a website, none of this stuff makes it go away. As diversity of all things continues, your bubble is going to get smaller, and smaller and smaller. Again though, your entitled to totally make these decisions. I'm just saying you may enter a point someday where having to tolerate and listen to and deal with things you do not like or do not agree with is part of life. It happens to older generations all the time as their ideals get pushed out and as the world changes. And you do see resistance to it. I just don't see the desire for it. You don't always have to become a completely "forced" different person just because your hearing insights and thoughts of things you don't agree with.

Anyway, regardless of the framing of your post it's nice to see a polite goodbye even if you kind of tip toe on the reasoning. As others have said I'm sure the door is always open here as the duders here are generally some of the most open you'll find on the internet.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I still rewatch some of the old videos now and then, but I've found myself not enjoying most of the new content they put out. But that is fine, there is plenty of stuff to enjoy out there for all kinds of people.

fzzywarbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fzzywarbles

@devise22: And likewise I appreciate the the kindness of your query. If it seems as if I'm tiptoeing, that's only because after a completely innocuous post about KCD, the post was swiftly locked from further discussion by a moderator. One of the early responders did link to a few words Jeff had on KCD. He mentioned that his shitty views didn't help the game being covered, but he didn't think they'd have covered it anyway. The only thing about that statement that makes me question it is bringing up Vavras "shitty views". They have the right to cover whatever they wish and that's completely understandable. However to your comment about censorship and the hidden rule. There are many ways to censor someone, the most common way nowadays is to disregard someone because of affiliation or lack thereof. I think there is an important discussion here regarding game developers freedom of choice.

Jessica Price for instance, just a couple weeks ago was fired for feuding with fans on twitter. While I disagree with her almost completely, I still feel like that is a space she should have complete ownership of. The only thing is she worked for a developer, she was not independent and had to answer to someone. I'm not defending the things she said, but I am going to defend her right to say them.

As far as harassment and Gamergate, something I honestly didn't pay much attention to back then, there is nothing more toxic than a digital life. A reason why I rarely communicate anymore online, because while there are times where dialogue can be fulfilling, more often times it just turns to a shit show. I don't remember exactly if it was always this bad, I tend to doubt it was. I think as online communication and multiplayer gaming has expanded it has naturally evolved into the toxic world it is today. Everyone has different levels of patience and everyone has different thicknesses to their skin. I for one am rarely "offended" but that's just me, I don't want to brashly imply that everyone should be exactly like me. In a perfect world conversations could be had just like this. That's a human impossibility and I do believe that at the very least, that should be accepted as reality and fact. That doesn't mean you shouldn't criticize egregious offenders. Quite the contrary, I believe they should be ostracized if the space they are sharing is being polluted by their bullshit. Who makes that judgement though? That's the trickiest part. I believe we have lowered the bar far below acceptable levels as a general observation.

As for what you really want to know. I absolutely don't need to be associated only with people of like mindedness. As I said, the staff at GB has taught me a lot, and challenged me to try things I would not have otherwise (kinda like Dan playing a dating sim). I've also put up with political input, albeit scarce, from them on podcasts and UPFs in the past. I grew up very nearby where the main office is, I know the politics of the area quite well, and they aren't aggressive with it at all. That's absolutely not why I feel like I do. I feel that the content that they have chosen to cover over the past few years has been lacking. I feel a story like Daniel Vavras is an important one that deserves fair coverage, and as I said previously that was a major draw to GB since the beginning. Just like with Detroit and David Cages visions, I don't expect them to fawn over the game, but the achievement of what was created deserves to be discussed at the very least.

I'll openly admit that as I've gotten older I've closed up in some ways, I don't play multiplayer much at all anymore for instance. It compromises for less than 5% of what I play. As far as diversity is concerned, I think its a bloated subject. It's become pandering now. If a game developer wants to be diverse, I think the best way to do so is to challenge obstacles in game design that challenge their audience more. I did not buy KCD because there are only white people in the game. I bought it and enjoy it because it is an experience I haven't had since the days I had to make a choice between a TNT2 or a VooDoo 3 card, for the record I chose wisely ;).

I enjoyed reading your comment. I appreciate conversations like this and I am glad this post wasn't locked out as quickly as my last one to have it.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By blackichigo

Bye. I hate when people have to put on some sort of show and announce that they are leaving a website. You can never visit a website again without having to waste people's time by telling us that. Good riddance. Have fun lurking like I know you will.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can’t help but feel like there is a certain amount of dishonesty whenever censorship comes up in these kinds of situations. Are some of the reasons for not covering KC:D political in nature? Sure but this is not what censorship looks like.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By htr10

I don’t agree with what the OP is going for in this thread, but he is being polite and he’s not on trial. No need for unkind replies. Also, using this thread as a backdoor way to try to talk about Kingdom Come Deliverance again on here is a great way to get this thread locked.

fzzywarbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10: I appreciate that. I have no idea of previous conversations regarding KCD. Why is this subject so taboo? What good comes from locking a conversation? I didn't expect much response to come from this post, but now I'm thoroughly intrigued.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fzzywarbles:

In general, the mods seem to lock threads where the conversation no longer matches the subject of the thread and/or the discussion has become very similar to prior threads. There was a stretch a while back where multiple threads kept popping up about GB not doing a Quick Look for KCD. KCD in itself should not have been a taboo topic, but it kept coming up over and over. Maybe enough time has passed that people want to discuss it again, but I doubt it.

I would have liked to see Vinny play KCD, but at the same time, I totally get the people who want to avoid KCD. I see both sides and I’m not sure there is any way that either side can further advance the discussion based on that one game. I’m assuming the mods will probably feel the same way.

fzzywarbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10: fair enough. I'm obviously late to the party with the game. I am in no way trying to slide a discussion about this game in.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bye Felicia.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@blackichigo: Chill homie no need to be so salty lmao. He's just trying to send a nice goodbye to a site that means a lot to him. Get a grip.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhm, no one cares?

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Ya'll get real rude when a fella says anything negative 'bout this site, don't you? Not everything has to be for everyone, folks. Let him run free.

Cure_Optimism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb is the only games site worth visiting at this point. They got their faults, but they're still miles ahead of the pack. But hey, if the negatives outweigh the positives for you then I don't blame you for taking off.

Welding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try Waypoint! It's pretty good, too.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

.... wait .. what? i thought his might have been a staff person leaving. Good luck or something. Who cares? (there are more hateful places on the internet that seem more right for you leanings.)

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#41 Mento  Moderator

The discourse in this thread doesn't seem to be heading anywhere positive, and rarely does with farewell threads, so I'll just lock it and say that you're welcome back to the community any time OP.