• 108 results
Avatar image for the_philosopher
#1 Posted by The_Philosopher (634 posts) -

What do you guys think the scariest games ever are? I've played Eternal Darkness and it was kinda scary because of the sanity effects. The only thing was I knew the game was just messing with me, I mean that's the whole reason I wanted to check it out in the first place so it lost alot of it's effectiveness. Other then that I don't have alot of experience with the Horror genre. Well, I played Silent Hill 4: The Room once. I couldn't stop laughing for some reason. Maybe because the guy looked kinda like Johnny Depp and because I was beating up dogs with a lead pipe. 

Despite my previous let-downs I am still very interested in exploring this genre. I'll be the first guy to tell you I know jack shit about horror survival games, so educate me. What games do you guys think are the most horrifying of all?
#2 Posted by Akeldama (4359 posts) -
@The_Philosopher said:
"            What do you guys think the scariest games ever are? I've played Eternal Darkness and it was kinda scary because of the sanity effects. The only thing was I knew the game was just messing with me, I mean that's the whole reason I wanted to check it out in the first place so it lost alot of it's effectiveness. Other then that I don't have alot of experience with the Horror genre. Well, I played Silent Hill 4: The Room once. I couldn't stop laughing for some reason. Maybe because the guy looked kinda like Johnny Depp and because I was beating up dogs with a lead pipe.              Despite my previous let-downs I am still very interested in exploring this genre. I'll be the first guy to tell you I know jack shit about horror survival games, so educate me. What games do you guys think are the most horrifying of all? "
beating dogs with lead pipes makes you laugh uncontrolably?
#3 Posted by eroticfishcake (7857 posts) -
@Akeldama said:
" @The_Philosopher said:
"            What do you guys think the scariest games ever are? I've played Eternal Darkness and it was kinda scary because of the sanity effects. The only thing was I knew the game was just messing with me, I mean that's the whole reason I wanted to check it out in the first place so it lost alot of it's effectiveness. Other then that I don't have alot of experience with the Horror genre. Well, I played Silent Hill 4: The Room once. I couldn't stop laughing for some reason. Maybe because the guy looked kinda like Johnny Depp and because I was beating up dogs with a lead pipe.              Despite my previous let-downs I am still very interested in exploring this genre. I'll be the first guy to tell you I know jack shit about horror survival games, so educate me. What games do you guys think are the most horrifying of all? "
beating dogs with lead pipes makes you laugh uncontrolably? "
I'll have to question your state of mind if that's true.

Well Resident Evil was scary providing you were twelve years old. As was I.
#4 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

No game has scared me more than the original Fatal Frame, and I wasn't even playing it.  I watched a roommate play through it while I was in college and was freaked the hell out.

#5 Posted by LiquidSwords (2728 posts) -

Recently I would say Dead Space. Reminds me of Event Horizon
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
#6 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2473 posts) -

noby noby boy, especially when you play it for the first time....

SH4 was pants...

Avatar image for themustachehero
#7 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6649 posts) -

Resident Evil 5 made my crap my pants!

#8 Posted by clubsandwich (3965 posts) -

Eternal Darkness and REmake are the games that have scared me the most.

#9 Posted by Brendan (9038 posts) -

Dead space was pretty freaky, but it was so much fun it kind of took away from being scared for me.
#10 Posted by Gamer_152 (14481 posts) -

I think the scariest game I've played is Dead Space. I appreciated its atmosphere but to be honest I wasn't all that scared even with that game, perhaps because I knew the reputation the game had. Admittedly it did get me with a few of its jump scares though.

#11 Posted by The_Philosopher (634 posts) -
@Akeldama:
The image of Johnny Depp beating dogs with a lead pipe is pretty funny.
#12 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -
@The_Philosopher: No, no it's not.
#13 Posted by Akeldama (4359 posts) -
@The_Philosopher said:
" @Akeldama: The image of Johnny Depp beating dogs with a lead pipe is pretty funny. "
ah ok fair enough. 
#14 Posted by torus (1106 posts) -

Penumbra: Black Plague.

#15 Edited by DrRandle (1376 posts) -

I think no game filled me with an innate, consistent, and high sense of fear like Fatal Frame. Silent Hill 4 was good for getting too me, Silent Hill 1 broke my fragile, young mind, and Silent Hill 2 made me want to curl up under a blanket and maybe start believing in a religion again... But nothing did what Fatal Frame did. It made me literally dread moving anywhere in that damn house. Every other game has made me want to move forward: to advance in the story. That game made me want to stop because I couldn't stand to deal with any more ghosts.

Unfortunately I guess it didn't help that the game was ri-donkey-kong-ulously hard. I couldn't finish it because I didn't have enough health.  Which sucks 'cause I did want to, but I physically couldn't, and after halfway, I wasn't starting again. There was a rope here. It's gone now.
Edit: Also I love that the guy with the Ernest: Scared Stupid ( a great film, btw ), is the guy asking about scary games.

#16 Posted by OmegaPirate (5642 posts) -

Silent hill 2 is where its it -  4 was fresh - but not exactly scary

#17 Edited by MonkeyGekko (279 posts) -

Fear man! I cant stand scary ass ghost chicks..! Half Life: Opposing force also scared the crap out of me, because of those f'ing zombies and the fact that I was 10 years old at the time.

#18 Posted by AutomaticSnake (404 posts) -

from what i played i would say silent hill 3 and dead space

#19 Posted by Griddler (3374 posts) -

System Shock 2 if you wanna get old school

#20 Posted by SonicFire (875 posts) -

Slient hill 1, Silent hill 2, Silent hill 3, Condemned: Criminal Origins (if you have a good surround setup), Resident Evil (the GameCube remake), Fatal Frame 1, Fatal Frame 2

#21 Posted by The_Philosopher (634 posts) -
@DrRandle:
I'd like to play an Ernest: Scared Stupid game. Shooting trolls with water guns full of milk would be awesome.
#22 Posted by Kiemoe (1094 posts) -

The only game I was really scared of was my dad playing Max Payne when I was little. Those druggy dudes scared the crap out of me.

#23 Posted by OmegaPirate (5642 posts) -

Shadow of the beast

#24 Posted by RichardLOlson (1904 posts) -

The only game that really scared me would have to have been......Festers Quest for the Nintendo!!!

#25 Posted by GunstarRed (6044 posts) -

Yaris
#26 Posted by CoverlessTech (769 posts) -

Penumbra: Black Plague is probably the scariest game I have played.

Dead Space is not scary. Primarily because the monsters do not pose a threat. Any game that focuses on killing hundreds of things simply can't be scary, at least not for long. The first 10 mins of DS is pretty good but after that it's just your average shooter.

#27 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -
@Kiemoe said:
" The only game I was really scared of was my dad playing Max Payne when I was little. Those druggy dudes scared the crap out of me. "
Max Payne, when you were little?

I am suddenly frightened of how old I feel.
#28 Posted by TinoXtreme (329 posts) -

I would say Condemned: Criminal Origins and the first FEAR. Scariest games I've ever played.

#29 Posted by breadfan (6803 posts) -

I don't play many games that I consider scary, but when my friend and I were in 5th grade we played Resident Evil Code Veronica X for the first time and as soon as a zombie dog jumped at us we freaked out and neither of us touched the game for a long time.

#30 Posted by quirkwood (283 posts) -

Here's one that went under the radar a little, Clive Barker's: Undying. Sure it was mostly monster in the closet type scares, but that scared the poop right outta me.

#31 Posted by Naikori (70 posts) -

I played a lot of scary games. The scariest I played was FEAR. It freaked me out time after time.
Avatar image for themustachehero
#32 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6649 posts) -
@Kiemoe said:
" The only game I was really scared of was my dad playing Max Payne when I was little. Those druggy dudes scared the crap out of me. "
Oh, yeah those dudes were creepy...
#33 Posted by Creamypies (4169 posts) -
@marioncobretti said:
" Yaris "
#34 Posted by Smarter_Martyr (589 posts) -
@marioncobretti:  BRAVO!!!!!!!!
#35 Posted by mattysen (926 posts) -

I shit my  pants quite alot on the original F.E.A.R afew years back, but it's definitely not the scariest game. I'd have to give that some thought. When playing SH2 was probably the most poop i've ever had in my pants.. 

#36 Posted by MonkeyGekko (279 posts) -

I once got a friend to try out Doom 3 back when it was released and he played for like 10 seconds, then walked out of the room scared shitless..

#37 Edited by Kiemoe (1094 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

" @Kiemoe said:

Max Payne, when you were little?  I am suddenly frightened of how old I feel. "
Well it came out 2001, which was 8 years ago, so I was 10. I think that counts as little. Maybe. I've never been a brave kid in the first place 

@quirkwood:
 My sister used to play Undying and I always heard stories about it. That's a big one. That and Alice.
#38 Posted by fuzzyponken (683 posts) -

Silent Hill 2 is by far the scariest game I've ever played. Right from the start, when you hear those footsteps, I just froze. I couldn't physically bring myself to go any further in the game. I've never felt anything like it before or after. It took months before I managed to play it again. 

Recently, Bioshock scared the fuck outta me. The sheer insanity of the environment, the ridiculously chaotic battles, that you couldn't safely backtrack because splicers were always wandering around, and the fact that everyone you met was batshit fucking crazy. Rapture was fucking hostile.

#39 Posted by CSXLoser (603 posts) -

dead space scared the crap out of my friends and me. 

FEAR gave me a good scare too...till i took off my headphones :P

#40 Posted by thecleric (814 posts) -

Penumbra

Most recent games fail at horror, they make your character WAY too badass. Silent Hill might change that.

#41 Edited by Black_Raven (1764 posts) -

Penumbra: Black plague or Penumbra: Overture.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl also had its moments, those damn blood suckers...

#42 Posted by TheGreatGuero (8881 posts) -

The remake of Resident Evil on Gamecube was absolutely terrifying. I was totally scared, even when exploiting the glitch to have nearly unlimited grenade launcher ammo.

#43 Posted by Pibo47 (3238 posts) -

All the penumbra games.

#44 Posted by artofwar420 (6905 posts) -
@Pibo47 said:
" All the penumbra games. "
I can see that, but I'd say it's more creepy than scary. (Only played one of them)

I vote for Siren: Blood Curse, scariest game I've ever played.
#45 Posted by TwoOneFive (9786 posts) -
@RhombusOfTerror said:
" noby noby boy, especially when you play it for the first time....  SH4 was pants... "
i agree
#46 Posted by ErgoProxy77 (589 posts) -

Doom 3 and the Condemned games.  

#47 Posted by LeetBalla (731 posts) -

The first two hours of Doom 3, after that you figure out that enemy spawn patterns are the same in every room.
#48 Posted by twhalen (131 posts) -

The haunted levels from the original Thief scared me when I was a kid. I could never make it through the third level, set in a huge crypt, and the haunted mines before that had me go to the menu many times (especially when I fell down into a room with a giant spider. Yikes). The most recent example for me is the opening of Bioshock, when you're still in the transit/elevator thing and a splicer kills some guy.

#49 Posted by xyzygy (10595 posts) -

Silent Hill 2. It doesn't work how most other games would be conventionally scary - the characters and their realtionships just made me so sad and depressed, even playing the game as a 14 year old. It amazes me how I genuinely sad and attached to the characters I became and I really cared for James and as the story progressed, I found myself hooked. It has one of the greatest monologues in gaming history, and Pyramid Head really adds to the whole sense of disbelief and otherworldliness. I really can't say enough positive things about this game. So many memories of that game. 

Silent Hill 3 on the other hand... In my first playthrough, I beat it in about 5 hours and was not into the character of Heather AT ALL. The mall setting was bollocks and they made it unecessarily confusing. I have yet to play 4 and 5 though :D

#50 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19301 posts) -

everybody is gonna say Dead Space, and then some people will choose 2-3 other horror games. 

/Thread