Screwattack merging into Rooster Teeth

#1 Posted by loamlife (7 posts) -

So today I found out that Screwattack is merging into Rooster Teeth. Screwattack has been a relic for a long time now but does anyone have thought now that it is official?

#2 Posted by TheHT (15890 posts) -

Didn't realize ScrewAttack was still a thing. Good on them I guess. I always liked their top 10s.

#3 Edited by csl316 (15040 posts) -

Oh, weird. I suppose this is similar to GB coming into the CBSi umbrella with Gamespot, except they're not keeping the brands separate. Turned out well here, I suppose, with occasionally Danny and Mary appearances.

I remember those early videos with Stuttering Craig and Handsome Tom and enjoying them a great deal. Glad they've continued to evolve and thrive, despite not following their stuff since they dropped off of Gametrailers.

#4 Posted by newmoneytrash (2440 posts) -

Rooster teeth seem to be growing a lot recently

#5 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4499 posts) -

Fullscreen bought Rooster Teeth like a year ago now, wow. Screwattack would be cool in new Rooster Teeth skits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
#6 Posted by deactivated-5b031d0e868a5 (935 posts) -

I my opinion Rooster Teeth seems to have grown too big too quickly as the output of their work is very frequent and varied but lacking somewhat in the quality department. Also a lot of their videos seemed to be gear towards the click bait style approach but then again maybe that's just me.

#7 Posted by Humanity (19048 posts) -

I am amazed that Screw Attack exists in any form apart from a pixelated banner on the GameTrailers archives.

#8 Posted by dudeglove (13794 posts) -
Loading Video...

#9 Edited by Casey25 (154 posts) -
#10 Posted by Relkin (1222 posts) -

I my opinion Rooster Teeth seems to have grown too big too quickly as the output of their work is very frequent and varied but lacking somewhat in the quality department.

I thought the same thing about three years ago and haven't been back there since.

#11 Edited by deactivated-5b031d0e868a5 (935 posts) -

@relkin: Funny that was the around the time I left as well, right as all the Let's Play videos started to come out - that and the sense of humour seemed to be aimed at a younger / childish silly type of humour. I've occasionally checked in from time to time but my opinion on why I left remains the same.

That and the actual achievement hunting videos stopped almost entirely as there was just something about watching a humorous guide that I enjoyed.

#12 Posted by Relkin (1222 posts) -

@freezyfrog: My main issue was that I didn't like the new hires. Didn't find them funny in the skits or in the podcast, and one of them took over writing RvB, which plummeted in quality. Bit of a bummer; I visited that site pretty often for two or three years.

#13 Posted by Nephrahim (1264 posts) -

I worry about Rooster Teeth a bit. I'm not going to say that the quality has dropped, because I do still go there all the time and I find it great, but all this expanding seems fast and I worry that something's going to burst and it's all going to come crashing down.

I just hope they know what they're doing.

#14 Posted by takayamasama (1553 posts) -

I have a question, and I hope it doesn't come off as rude, just complete ignorance on my part, but what the heck is RoosterTeeth anymore? I wasn't even aware they were still around, last I saw was Red vs Blue season 4 or 5, somewhere around there. I don't hear many people talking about them or whatever they do, so I'm super curious by this.

#15 Edited by Nephrahim (1264 posts) -

I have a question, and I hope it doesn't come off as rude, just complete ignorance on my part, but what the heck is RoosterTeeth anymore? I wasn't even aware they were still around, last I saw was Red vs Blue season 4 or 5, somewhere around there. I don't hear many people talking about them or whatever they do, so I'm super curious by this.

Fucking huge is what they are.

They still do RvB, I think they're on like season 12 or something (They don't number them all so I forget where they are, I have watched them all.) they do other animated stuff like RWBY (Think Anime made my Video game nerds. Not my cup of tea but other people like it.) As well as all sorts of live shorts involving props, phsycal comedy, all that shit. They even crowdfunded an entire movie called Lazerteam and are working on distribution right now.

The biggest aspect outside of RvB is probably Achievement hunter. It's a bunch of Lets Plays, pretty much.

#17 Posted by dudeglove (13794 posts) -

@casey25: TBH I think Craig is a really engaging personality (I think he did radio for a few years before starting SA and he just has a great voice), but the rest of the crew weren't particularly interesting. It sorta speaks volumes than one of their main staff (Destin somethingorother) left for IGN back in 09. SA never seemed as though it found a particular niche the same way GB did, and I agree with other folk here that the bulk of their stuff was kinda infantile, and real easy to get tired of.

#18 Posted by Naoiko (1677 posts) -

I just imagined a creep rooster holding a pair of fake teeth chasing after a screw holding a sword and shield trying to bite it.

#19 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (7695 posts) -

Oh good...two useless channels run by douche bags becoming one huge douche-filled thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
#20 Posted by deactivated-5ba16609964d9 (3361 posts) -

Two shitty taste combine to make something even shittier?

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
#21 Posted by deactivated-58670791014d2 (354 posts) -

I used to enjoy RT but was listing to the podcast one day and Barbra (who's Canadian) said she did not know who Terry Fox was,so I turned that off and never went back.

#22 Edited by cmblasko (2952 posts) -

What's a Rooster Teeth?

(obligatory)

#23 Posted by Puchiko (847 posts) -

The first time I knew ScrewAttack was a thing was when they hosted videos for The Angry Video Game Nerd. Haven't cared to check in since that show jumped the shark.

#24 Posted by flameboy84 (898 posts) -

I only way I knew ScrewAttack still existed is they have a 24/7 stream on twitch that just plays old archived stuff.

#25 Posted by BBAlpert (2921 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

What's a Rooster Teeth?

(obligatory)

I'm glad some people still remember this.

#26 Posted by Belegorm (1848 posts) -

@puchiko said:

The first time I knew ScrewAttack was a thing was when they hosted videos for The Angry Video Game Nerd. Haven't cared to check in since that show jumped the shark.

Pretty much my response too.

#27 Posted by zombie2011 (5602 posts) -

I used to listen to the RT podcast and watch the Let Play channel quite often. However, the cast I enjoyed listening to every week started to rotate out of the podcast and new people would fill in every week.

#28 Posted by turboman (9936 posts) -

ScrewAttack had a pretty good video series commentating over the Playstation Game Tester reality TV Show.

That's all I got.

#29 Posted by JeanLuc (3883 posts) -

@relkin said:
@freezyfrog said:

I my opinion Rooster Teeth seems to have grown too big too quickly as the output of their work is very frequent and varied but lacking somewhat in the quality department.

I thought the same thing about three years ago and haven't been back there since.

For me its more I used to watch all of Rooster Teeth's stuff, and now I'll pop in once and a while and go, "Oh they have a new one of that thing I like, I'll watch that."

I can't imagine what the life of a Rooster Teeth super fan who watches everything is like. You would have zero free time and no social life.

#30 Edited by WalkerTR77 (1811 posts) -

I used to have their podcast in my rotation, but eventually they started to be overtaken by new younger staff who just seemed like shouty, entitled immature idiots so I drifted off and now I'm just kind of mildly irritated by their whole enterprise.

#31 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15756 posts) -

I knew Rooster Teeth was still doing well with... whatever it is that they do exactly, but I totally forgot that ScrewAttack was still around. Guess it won't be for long!

#32 Posted by sravankb (544 posts) -

Got way too shouty and annoying in my opinion.

There was a period of about 2-3 years where I followed everything they did, but now they have about way way too many people. I have no idea who each person is, let alone what their personality is like.

#33 Posted by hassun (10060 posts) -

@cmblasko: More like what's Rooster Teeth, and what's Screwattack for that matter? YouTube networks?

#34 Posted by silentflare (19 posts) -

Not suprising, the only reason why Screwattack even continued to exist is because of Death Battle and One Minute Melee(which tend to be awesome fights even if some results are kinda iffy) which are so popular that despite people saying they did not even knew Screwattack still existed, chances are that they saw at least some of the videos.

#35 Posted by Yesiamaduck (2567 posts) -

Mannnn I really enjoyed Screwattack when it was just Handsome Tom and Stuttering Craig... then they fell out and the new hires replacing Handsome Tom did next to nothing for me and I had assumed they died off years ago.

#36 Posted by deactivated-5b031d0e868a5 (935 posts) -

@bbalpert: That moment is glorious:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
#37 Posted by citizencoffeecake (1551 posts) -

I think they are both Texas based, kind of makes sense I suppose but neither is my cup of tea.

#38 Posted by BooDoug187 (494 posts) -

I use to be into Screwattack years ago before finding Giant Bomb. There were a couple things that got me to stop going to the site. Once on their podcast I emailed about their thoughts on fan translations. The others (Dustin and I think the girl's name was Cory) were all into it, talking about how they were looking forward to playing Mother 3 and Policenauts. Craig got all pissy because playing those games would involve either modded systems or playing on emulators. He got mad at the others on the pod cast for "not buying the real games" even though they tried to explain to him that those games were super rare and not made anymore he couldn't seem to comprehend the concept.

The second thing was their "vote for a new show for our site" contest where Game Overthinker won by cheating. When all the people on the forums tried to show Craig how Game Overthinker cheated he blew them off, trying to act like the guy was going to bring in a bunch of viewers but of course the guy broke more rules by not posting any new videos (even though he was suspose to post new video on the site every month, he just reposted his old youtube videos) then he gets hired on at The Escapist and just left. At this point Craig was trying to make ScrewAttack "the youtube of video games" but well the shitty video player the site used on top of some other odd business practices he was pulling kind of destroyed that plan!

So yeah, I am surprised it was still around. I think I sent giantbomb an email years ago asking if they were going to cover SGC (Screw Attack Game Convention).

#39 Posted by Buddy900 (88 posts) -

The only good thing screwattack does now is death battles.

#40 Edited by peacebrother (757 posts) -

I used to watch a bunch of Screwattack, but really fell off after Tom left, and when they introduced their "Hard News" segment.

Just visited the site now, and saw a part of the site titled

FUN VIDEOS FROM AROUND THE INTERNETZ

That's basically the attitude that drove me away from the site. That "amazeballz lolz guys internet amirite" sense of humor makes me nauseous .

#41 Posted by sparkysanxion (194 posts) -

Used to watch a lot of SA, but kinda fell off when Destin and Cory left. Never really liked the new guys all that much.

Seems like a pretty good deal for them tho, I hope Craig did OK out of it.

#42 Posted by robsamuel (140 posts) -

I quite liked Screwattack around the Destin/Cory era. I went back recently and saw they've both left. I know Destin works for IGN now, anyone have any idea what happened to Cory?

#43 Posted by DonChipotle (3527 posts) -

All I know about Rooster Teeth is that one of the guys did some anime dubbing so I can't hate them.

#44 Edited by FacelessVixen (2710 posts) -

Yeah... I kinda stopped paying attention to ScrewAttack after Jared started doing his own thing. All I can really say that it's an interesting merger, though I mainly care about Funhaus.

#45 Posted by Griffinmills (320 posts) -

@belegorm said:
@puchiko said:

Pretty much my response too.

Chance to use what Austin taught me.

"Same."

#46 Edited by ShaunK (1667 posts) -

Man, I have always liked ScrewAttack. Stuttering Craig seemed to think highly of GiantBomb. I don't really listen to RoosterTeeth any more as I feel that they try to appeal to a teenage audience, so this is kind of disappointing to me. Will they be remaining separate entities?