Seaserpent in Your Pocket

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

According to Dave, Seaserpent is totally scalable, theoretically obviating the need for a mobile site, yet I have had zero luck loading the site on my iPhone. It loads perfectly fine up to about 90%, where it never fails to crash. While some might argue that I could just use the standard Giant Bomb mobile site (which I am using as we speak), but as someone who always prefers to ride the bleeding edge, this is less than ideal.

Have any of you had any luck loading the site on mobile browsers? I'm curious to see if any Android browsers, or any tablet browsers, could successfully load the site.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By VisariLoyalist

you sonavabitch i thought this thread was waaaaaay smexier based on the title.

agentdanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By agentdanger

The beta site is obviously still unstable - I just tried on my Galaxy Nexus (Chrome), and the site loads and looks fine. I guess you're best served staying patient ;)

downandmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By downandmean

I'm guessing it's still pretty shaky, right? I'v gotten a 404, a 500, and a straight up "your username doesn't exist" message. They just need more time, I suppose.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

On my Lumia 800 seaserpent looks like an Android app. Hitting three lines to bring in something from the side like the Facebook app etc. It was odd seeing it like that, but it's cool.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zeforgotten
@downandmean said:

I'm guessing it's still pretty shaky, right? I'v gotten a 404, a 500, and a straight up "your username doesn't exist" message. They just need more time, I suppose.

Exactly. 

Good thing it's only the beta so they have time to fix issues that we find before the proper launch. 
Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Works for me on Android 4.0.4 I event got video working!

JYoung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By JYoung

I use the Chrome app on my iPhone, and the homepage looks great. I opened the page for the quick look off the homepage and the comments were bigger than the box the video was in, but other pages are formatting fine.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

Too bad I can't get it to load the full desktop site. I need that for wiki editing and it won't let me do that on the mobile site.

@AlexW00d said:

On my Lumia 800 seaserpent looks like an Android app. Hitting three lines to bring in something from the side like the Facebook app etc. It was odd seeing it like that, but it's cool.

I tried swiping the drawer closed and it didn't work. Web sites shouldn't try to emulate native apps unless they really try to match expected behaviour.

LevelUpAdrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LevelUpAdrian

Can't even login over here, sadly. :(

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By dichemstys

Stupid question maybe, but only members can check out the new site right now, right?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Branthog

I may not like the new Verge style design of the site, but I can absolutely appreciate the effort to make a website look nice on a mobile device in a web browser, instead of adding to the bullshit of every fucking website on the planet needing to have their own mobile application just to look at what is, otherwise, just web-content.

So, for all the critical shit I've been flinging about the pending redesign, that effort (even if not quite perfect, yet) deserves a great deal of respect. A lesser site would have just made a totally separate app that you had to pay a buck or three for and would lock you into their own special way of doing everything, instead of just letting you browse web content with a web browser, like the good Tim Berners Lee intended.

Navyseils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Navyseils

Is it possible to pin a video to the top while on a phone? I couldn't figure it out, but maybe I'm just being dim.

I think it would be nice to have the wee video playing and scroll comments while the phone is in it's regular portrait orientation.

Edit: This is perhaps a question more suitable for asking on the boards over on the beta. Keeping more on topic, the site works great on my phone. It doesn't resize quite perfectly for the Nexus7, but it still works just fine.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By TheHBK

The ladies know I got a seaserpent in my pocket.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BlackLagoon

I'm not seeing any way to navigate the site from the front page (beyond clicking on the articles) on Opera Mini 7.5.32193 on Android, which is a shame, since the current mobile site worked pretty well. Mostly just used it to browse the forums though, and I can just manually type in a link to them.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By yoshimitz707

Works fine for me on my iPhone 5.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By recroulette

Works fine on my Droid X, CM7 firmware.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mikeeegeee

God damnit I have too damn many stupid dick jokes for this.