Sega announces the Game Gear Micro

RosalieLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

​SEGA has decided to unveil one of its projects related to its 60th-anniversary celebration. It's not the rumored Dreamcast Mini that some may have been dreaming of, but SEGA is releasing a retro throwback system, in the form of the absolutely tiny Game Gear Micro. The teaser website is scant on details, but more information is to come on June 3rd at 13:00 Japan Standard Time (GMT+9).

No Caption Provided

[UPDATE]

Pricing details and more information has been given. The Game Gear Micro will cost 4,980 yen, and is planned to release on October 6th in Japan. Multiple colors of the Micro will be sold, each with different games on them. The standard black version will have Sonic the Hedgehog, Puyo Puyo, OutRun, and Royal Stone. A blue variant will come with Sonic chaos, Gunstar Heroes, Sylvan Tale, and Baku Baku Animal. There is also a yellow one which has Shining Force Gaiden, Shining Force: The Sword of Haiya, Shining Force: Final Conflict, and Nazo Puyo Arle no Roux. Lastly, the red Game Gear Micro will come with Revelations: The Demon Slayer, Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special, Shinobi, and Columns. M2 is in charge of porting the games.

The Micro measures in at 80mm x 43mm x 40mm. It'll also run off AAA batteries, or can be charged through a USB cable. Since it's just so tiny, SEGA will also be selling the "Big Window Micro", a magnifier that clips on and makes the screen size larger.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet they were having a lot of fun at Sega when they came up with this thing. Because it comes off as a joke. As if they were aiming to make the wrong decision at every turn. The only thing I can think of that would make it even funnier, would be if it couldn’t be charged and they treated it as a disposable. So you had to buy a new one when batteries run out. That tip is free, Sega.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is this is Japan Only right?

Casse1berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 different colors, each with 4 different games, and a tiny ass screen. I just can't....

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But why though

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I appreciate Sega trying to inject some humor into these dark times.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These things shouldn't be more than like $15, and even that is pushing it. I get the Nomad wasn't as iconic, but there's better valued stuff they could've put out and with a better collection of games. Still hope they eventually make a Dreamcast Mini, even if it doesn't include the 2K sports titles and stuff like MvC2.

Picto_Obscure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even with that magnifying glass attachment, playing an RPG on this thing seems like self harm on your eyesight.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Game Gear was never a particularly good system, but this could have been a neat little thing if they hadn't dropped the ball in just about every possible way. File this one alongside that NEO GEO micro cab SNK put out a couple of years ago.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about this was perfect. Hyping it as an all-time game changer for the industry. Picking perhaps Segas worst system. Making an answer to the GameBoy Micro 15 years later. Making the screen even smaller than the GBM perhaps to the point of unwatchable. Requiring you buy all the colors to get all the games. Charging $50. Having one tenth the games of the NES Classic at roughly the same price. Thinking the 2017 classic system trend was still going strong. Ignoring the fact that everyone who cares already bought Sonic Mega Gems Collection Plus Dash whatever ten times over from GameCube to FireTV Stick. Sticking to the E3 announce date despite everything going on in the world.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would be very interested in this if it wasn't for the bad selection of games being split over 4 models. The Game Gear was the first game system I ever played as a child but I had almost none of these games. I don't even mind the size of it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By monkeyking1969
No Caption Provided

I'm changing my answer!!!

I'd rather just have this case on my phone, with 374 ROMs on it.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This thing makes no sense whatsoever... I'd rather spend the $200 on the Analogue Sega console and the Game Gear adapter for that.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepenguin9: This thing makes perfect sense. It's a celebration of the history of the company that brought you the 32X, which it is a meta-celebration of the 25th anniversary of. Finally there's a worse Sega system.

What's that you say? The 32X didn't launch in 1995, it launched in 1994? Yes. That's what makes celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2020 a Perfect Sega Move.

I missed old Sega but goddamn it if this isn't a great callback to those heady days of monumental incompetence and ludicrous failures to read the market.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LeStephan

Id be all in for buying one if theyd come out in the west AND would actually cost the euro equivalent of 4950 yen(and in japan stuff NEVER sells at mrsp but always slightly lower). That price is already pushing it imo and rising that price to 50 euros will kill it for me. It seems like a fun thing to just have and mess around with once in a while but thats it. For price comparison: I got one of those famicom controller styled gameboy micros like a year after release from japan new and sealed for only 40 euros inc shipping and the guy put a bunch of chips and sweets in the box too even (will never forget that, either that or a revoltech jehuty&anubis was my first ebay purchase. Both the gbm and the revoltechs came with snacks and a handwritten letter, <3 those earlier days of ebay) This thing seems pretty not worth it compared to that :P

That game selection is pretty bonkers too. Shouldve put all the games on each micro. BUT then again I assume sega thinks game gear games are still worth 8 bucks a pop cuz thats what they go for on the 3ds eshop. So 4 games x 8 bucks = 32 bucks so that leaves 18 bucks for the system, they must think this is a steal!

But in all seriousness, if sega sees plenty of people are still buying these kinda games individualy for fairly high prices digitaly it could actually be stupid for them to make this thing any cheaper. Like, yeah its in honor of segas anniversary but theyre still a bussiness that needs to be lucrative and not a charity. But I dont know how the numbers look in actuality so I cant really pass any judgement on that part. Just a thought I was having and its a side of things that I think us as consumers often overlook or choose to ignore because all were busy with is what WE want. Not thinking im throwing anything revolutionary out there or anything, and I get its more fun to build the narative that this is some bonkers dumb decision when you dont know the reasoning behind it but I just wanna consider the other side too :) Maybe they did it like this so that if it fails it wont make a big impact on anything else or...I dunno. It doesnt seem like great decisions were made to me either but hey :')

I also feel like all these mini consoles and what have you make more sense in japan where lotsa people live in smaller appartments then we could immagine. And the original gamegear is pretty huge for a handheld from what I remember right? (been a couple years since i held one, RiP only local mom&pop videogamestore near me)

And its only been announced for japan so far... so who knows, the japanese might go crazy for this thing and thats all that matters then right?

EDIT: screensize probably wouldnt bother me, I think every gba game looks absolutely stunning on gbm for example and it makes me think that everyone who thinks that screen is too small needs glasses. Not saying people cant prefer the bigger screen, thats fine, im talking people who say its too small to properly play...thats just...like I said. get glasses. :') The only reason I still prefer playing my original gameboy advance though is that its the only nintendo portable together with the original ds that doesnt give me horrible wristpain after playing for an hour. I wish I could get a normal gba with a microscreen xD (Im immagining this awful shitshow of a gameboy advance with a hole where the screen was and a gameboy microscreen dangling in it suspended on some wires and stuff used to connect the screen haha)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It would make sense if it had a tv out but still seems uncomfortable to hold or use for extended periods of time.