Sega interested in more Shenmue! But....

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lard

Sega talks Shenmue III

As I mentioned in my previous post, Famitsu 360 just put out it's annual Japanese developer interview issue. For the developer issue, Famitsu polls developers to see what their upcoming plans for the Xbox 360 are, which by extension, usually ends up pertaining to PS3 owners as well.

In this year's issue, Sega talked a bit about the oft-requested Shenmue follow up. It's a title they still think a lot about doing, however, sales are a factor. Neither of the previous games sold well, so Sega is hesitant about returning to the franchise. They reassure fans, though, that if there is an opportunity to revisit the franchise, they would love to do it.

Sounds like Sega is hoping that one of the platform holders fund it, perhaps in return for an exclusivity deal.

http://www.ps3center.net/news/4293/s...s-shenmue-iii/

This is a no brainer.

Blu-Ray compile the first two and finish the series on a high note with one more game.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ryanwho

I would rather they use these resources on another Yakuza game. You know, Shenmue but good.

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lard

Hey hey now....

I like Yakuza - but the Shenmue story needs to be finished.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Pazy

If they made Shenmue 3 I would totally be into since I have never played Shenmue 1/2 and its given a wierd mystical greatness in hindsight so if they ported Shenmue 1/2 to modern consoles (disk or download) with or without any updates I would get it and if the storyline is even half as good as people say then I would be up for a new version but only if they made Shenmue 3 the end of the story since what stopped me playing Shenmue 1 and 2 later was that I would never get the end of the game.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

If they made Shenmue III, I would buy it. I don't care about price or format.

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lard
@HandsomeDead said:
" If they made Shenmue III, I would buy it. I don't care about price or format. "
This.
Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Well considering the fact the platforms both games were on, Dreamcast and Xbox, I would say that was the factor of the disappointing sells.

The second game was on a system that bombed in Japan and didn't quite have an audience right at launch outside of the region, and the first was on a system that met its untimely fate. I mean, the same happen to other games like Jet Set Radio Future, as a result of the game also being exclusive to a system that bombed in Japan (and a system that I didn't own at the time), it's been nearly ten years since we last saw a sequel.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Jambones

Man, Sega are such a tease.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Lard said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" If they made Shenmue III, I would buy it. I don't care about price or format. "
This. "
This one bajillion-teh-fe-filion times.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

Bayonetta, Afterburner Climax, Project Needlemouse's potential, Yakuza 3... 

Personally, it seems like Sega will be having such a good year this year that they can afford to appease the fans once and for all.  Just make the fucking game so we can stop hearing about it...and make it a definitive ending as well to ensure silence remains.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#11  Edited By TobyD81

Why compile them on Blu Ray, just release them both as downloadables on PSN/XBLA. I've never played Shenmue but I'd happily try it out for ten bucks. Gives Sega a little extra cash for an old game and some direct numbers by which to gauge interest.

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lard
@TobyD81 said:

" Why compile them on Blu Ray, just release them both as downloadables on PSN/XBLA. I've never played Shenmue but I'd happily try it out for ten bucks. Gives Sega a little extra cash for an old game and some direct numbers by which to gauge interest. "

Too large I think, and also at least give a choice of either/or.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB
@Kou_Leifoh said:
" Well considering the fact the platforms both games were on, Dreamcast and Xbox, I would say that was the factor of the disappointing sells.

The second game was on a system that bombed in Japan and didn't quite have an audience right at launch outside of the region, and the first was on a system that met its untimely fate. I mean, the same happen to other games like Jet Set Radio Future, as a result of the game also being exclusive to a system that bombed in Japan (and a system that I didn't own at the time), it's been nearly ten years since we last saw a sequel. "
This. Compiling the first two games on the same disc would be one way to alleviate the issue, but I think it's just too much of a Japanese-ass Japanese game for the western market.

It's sort of the pickle that the Yakuza series has over here.
Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII

The best way to get Shenmue 1&2 available to us again is via download.  I'd freaking love Shenmue on XBLA.  Sonic Adventure is already coming, so more DC games are inevitable.  I'll feed that goddamn cat every single in game night.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TobyD81
@Lard said:
" @TobyD81 said:

" Why compile them on Blu Ray, just release them both as downloadables on PSN/XBLA. I've never played Shenmue but I'd happily try it out for ten bucks. Gives Sega a little extra cash for an old game and some direct numbers by which to gauge interest. "

Too large I think, and also at least give a choice of either/or. "
Nope, not according to Soul Calibur or the incoming Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast games are proving to have no problems as downloadable games. Just launch Shenmue 1, then 2, ten bucks each. Perfect for testing the waters for a Shenmue 3.
Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
@TobyD81 said:
" @Lard said:
" @TobyD81 said:

Nope, not according to Soul Calibur or the incoming Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast games are proving to have no problems as downloadable games. Just launch Shenmue 1, then 2, ten bucks each. Perfect for testing the waters for a Shenmue 3. "
Do you think a downloadable version of Shenmue II will have the ability to transfer all of the data from the first game to the second? Also, will it be available for PSN and not just for XBLA?  
Those games need to be in all of the platform it can be on; the more platforms it's on, the more people will have access to it.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy

Shenmue III should not end the Shenmue franchise. The Shenmue games were originally meant to span across more than 10 games - how can you wrap over 7 games up into one game? I think that if Sega tries to wrap the whole Shenmue story up in one game without the help of Yu Suzuki, they will be making a huge mistake. 

I would honestly rather them leave Shenmue 2 where it is and finish with the story than create a game without Yu Suzuki at the lead.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Why compile them onto blu-ray?  The games aren't so big that they couldn't fit onto a DVD, or as has been said..  make them downloadable.
While the series has its loyal fans, the two games are far too dated to release in a God of War style double pack.  That alone would ensure we never see a third game.

But making thwm downloadable on XBLA/PSN?  I could see them generating enough interest to sell reasonably well, but I still doubt a new game would do well enough for Sega to bother with.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TobyD81
@Kou_Leifoh said:
" @TobyD81 said:
" @Lard said:
" @TobyD81 said:

Nope, not according to Soul Calibur or the incoming Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast games are proving to have no problems as downloadable games. Just launch Shenmue 1, then 2, ten bucks each. Perfect for testing the waters for a Shenmue 3. "
Do you think a downloadable version of Shenmue II will have the ability to transfer all of the data from the first game to the second? Also, will it be available for PSN and not just for XBLA?   Those games need to be in all of the platform it can be on; the more platforms it's on, the more people will have access to it. "
Possibly. I guess if the downloadable Xbox versions of the first two Banjo Kazooie games could share data, then maybe this could too. It could also be done a la Mass Effect 2, where ME1 creates a file after you finish the game that ME2 reads for pertinent data that gets integrated into that game. It would add to the development that would need to be done before a downloadable Shenmue could be released, but these games have shown that it's possible.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Uhhh guys?  You do know that Soul Calibur on XBLA is missing a good 50% of its content right?  No RPG, no weapon upgrades, no fighter databases no user edited intro animation.  It's just the Arcade mode with the bitmap galleries unlocked.  

You should also know that Shenmue 1 and 2 were two of the biggest games on the DC content wise? Shenmue 1 was 3 GDROM discs and 2 was 4.  Each 1GB GDROM for each game was filled to the brim with content, unlike many other DC games which used dummy files to pad out the disc contents so the drive wouldn't have to work too hard.

I think it highly unlikely we will see a proper XBLA rendition of either Shenmue due to size limits and the way the game was built in the first place.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TobyD81

I really don't understand why file size keeps getting brought up as a limiting factor here. XBLA games have a 2 gig size limit, which has been ignored in the case of Portal: Still Alive. Then there are the Games on Demand like Burnout Paradise, Gears of War, and Assassin's Creed. PSN has never had these kinds of restrictions on files, other than the capacity of the hard drive. The fact that Shenmue came out on multiple GDROMs is not something that either PS3 or Xbox 360 can't handle.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@SeriouslyNow said:

" Uhhh guys?  You do know that Soul Calibur on XBLA is missing a good 50% of its content right?  No RPG, no weapon upgrades, no fighter databases no user edited intro animation.  It's just the Arcade mode with the bitmap galleries unlocked.    You should also know that Shenmue 1 and 2 were two of the biggest games on the DC content wise? Shenmue 1 was 3 GDROM discs and 2 was 4.  Each 1GB GDROM for each game was filled to the brim with content, unlike many other DC games which used dummy files to pad out the disc contents so the drive wouldn't have to work too hard.  I think it highly unlikely we will see a proper XBLA rendition of either Shenmue due to size limits and the way the game was built in the first place. "

And you should probably know that when Soulcalibur was released the size limit for XBLA games was 175mb.  Now it's 2gb+.
Also:  Shenmue 2 was relased on the original Xbox (yes, on one DVD) and included a "movie" version of the original.  It's quite probably that at least that will end up on Games on Demand.
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By apathylad

I never played the Shenmue games since I don't have a Dreamcast, but it was a franchise I was interested in trying out.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:

" Uhhh guys?  You do know that Soul Calibur on XBLA is missing a good 50% of its content right?  No RPG, no weapon upgrades, no fighter databases no user edited intro animation.  It's just the Arcade mode with the bitmap galleries unlocked.    You should also know that Shenmue 1 and 2 were two of the biggest games on the DC content wise? Shenmue 1 was 3 GDROM discs and 2 was 4.  Each 1GB GDROM for each game was filled to the brim with content, unlike many other DC games which used dummy files to pad out the disc contents so the drive wouldn't have to work too hard.  I think it highly unlikely we will see a proper XBLA rendition of either Shenmue due to size limits and the way the game was built in the first place. "

And you should probably know that when Soulcalibur was released the size limit for XBLA games was 175mb.  Now it's 2gb+. Also:  Shenmue 2 was relased on the original Xbox (yes, on one DVD) and included a "movie" version of the original.  It's quite probably that at least that will end up on Games on Demand. "
I didn't know that they increased the limit to 2GB, thanks for that.  Yeah I own the XBOX Shenmue II, it was the first game I purchased on its own.  The movie was just some MPEG encoded video.  Still @ 2GB I think that the even the original DC versions of either game would be rather hard to compress to fit into that size.  Also, XBOX Originals have been killed. Sad but true.
Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lard
@TobyD81 said:
" I really don't understand why file size keeps getting brought up as a limiting factor here. XBLA games have a 2 gig size limit, which has been ignored in the case of Portal: Still Alive. Then there are the Games on Demand like Burnout Paradise, Gears of War, and Assassin's Creed. PSN has never had these kinds of restrictions on files, other than the capacity of the hard drive. The fact that Shenmue came out on multiple GDROMs is not something that either PS3 or Xbox 360 can't handle. "
I would rather have it on a Blu-Ray, that's just personal preference.
Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aeterna

Shenmue 1+2 re-released + another disc with 3? I'm sold and I don't even own a 360/ps3, just my dreamcast.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By c1337us

I have an Xbox version of Shenmue that I have never played. But if they were going to make a final installment I would definately consider picking it up if they bundled it with the first two on another disc. I would also just as easily not care if they never bothered,

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aeterna
@c1337us said:
" I have an Xbox version of Shenmue that I have never played. But if they were going to make a final installment I would definately consider picking it up if they bundled it with the first two on another disc. I would also just as easily not care if they never bothered, "
Well, it was originally planned to be about 7 games in total, I believe.
NemesisTheory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NemesisTheory

They should stop teasing us all the time and just get on with it. Shenmue 2 is one of my all-time favorites.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond

Not gonna let myself get hyped.  A Shenmue 3 with the fidelity of the recent Ryu ga Gotoku titles would be mind blowing.