#1 Posted by Spoonman671 (5833 posts) -

My speakers have been troubled for a few months now.  They started making a hissing/sizzling sound whenever I shut down my PC, and today they started randomly clicking/popping.  They've got to go.  I need some replacements.

What I'm looking for is a wired 2.0 or 2.1 setup.  Something small and simple.  I'm pretty flexible on price, but I have no intention of getting some crazy surround sound system.  I don't really know anything about these things, so I'm relying on you guys.  For reference, I've been using the speakers that came with my father's old Dell PC that he had in the 90's, and I've been perfectly happy with my audio until they started making noises.

#2 Edited by Ben_H (4006 posts) -
#3 Posted by Spoonman671 (5833 posts) -
@Ben_H: The 2.1 version might be worth looking into.  I do like Logitech's stuff, too.  Thanks for your input.
#4 Posted by onarum (3022 posts) -
#5 Posted by TheKramer89 (501 posts) -

As people have already said (and you) Logitech makes great cheap stuff. You really can't go wrong.

#6 Edited by artgarcrunkle (988 posts) -

Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 are good and less than $200. I think Tested did a write-up on them at some point.

#7 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

get logitech, it's what i have. i bought them at walmart for $20 and they are pretty loud.

my old speakers started getting stupid. it had buttons instead of a turn thing and the button would stick. when i couldn't hear i would press up and the volume would go full blast.

#8 Posted by Spoonman671 (5833 posts) -
No Caption Provided
#9 Posted by GreggD (4595 posts) -

I've had my Logitech 2.1 setup for about eight years, and they've yet to crackle or let me down in any way. And I spent like 20 bucks on them.

#10 Posted by Kidavenger (4243 posts) -

How much are planning on spending?

M Audio makes great stuff but they start at $70.

#11 Posted by Spoonman671 (5833 posts) -
@GreggD said:

I've had my Logitech 2.1 setup for about eight years, and they've yet to crackle or let me down in any way. And I spent like 20 bucks on them.

I imagine those are basically the older models of the ones recommended to me earlier?
#12 Posted by GreggD (4595 posts) -
#13 Posted by cav86 (105 posts) -

I've been using Bose Companion 3 Speakers, no complaints here and I love them

If your looking for cheap speakers do not look here

#14 Edited by Zelyre (1788 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 are good and less than $200. I think Tested did a write-up on them at some point.

I had a set of Pro Media 5.1 Ultras. They were amazingly great. Until they died. Twice. Apparently, there was a fatal flaw in the amp stored in the woofer.

To Klipsch's credit, their customer service about a decade ago was great. When my first set died, I mailed them my old set and they sent me the newer Ultras. Those lasted six years before the amp died. A shame, as that was a great set. The satellite speakers still get used in my home theater, though.

I replaced them with a set of Logitech Z2300's. These speakers impressed me with their quality/price ratio. Apparently, some audio-philes dubbed it the king of the PC 2.1 systems.

@Spoonman671: While the Z 2300's are no longer made, the Z623's that replaced it are no slouch. For its price, I don't think you'll find a speaker system better than the Z623.

#15 Edited by Spoonman671 (5833 posts) -
@Zelyre: For my purposes, the more low-maintenance, the better, so I think I'll steer clear of the Klipsch stuff, just to be on the safe side.  Thanks for the input.

@Kidavenger: While the prices don't necessarily offend me, after looking into their products, all the speakers appear to be a bit too large in size for what I'm looking for.  I currently have my speakers tucked into a little nook in my TV stand where they are basically invisible.  I'd prefer to keep them in that position.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

@cav86

: Yeah, I think Bose stuff is a little too classy for me.  Maybe when I get a bigger place with a media room, but right now this stuff is just in my bedroom.

@GreggD: That set looks like it would suit my needs very well.  I think it's between those and these.  I just have to weigh my options and decide whether the Z623 set will be worth the extra money.

Thanks for your help, guys, I really do appreciate it.
#16 Posted by SexyToad (2939 posts) -

10$ you'll have to pick them up.