Sequels are the best thing to happen to games.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Edited By trophyhunter

Take the change from Assassin's creed 1 to AC2 for example. Seeing how much better AC2 is compare to AC1, it's hard to believe they came out in the same generation. Then AC:brotherhood came out and made it even better.

If there were no sequels, gone would be the insanely in depth universe building of a Mass Effect or dragon age. Wow we put years worth of work into making this crazy deep universe with really interesting characters. Now since we made one game, no one will see any of this stuff ever again. We probably could have saved months of work there. Maybe if we could make a 2nd game, we could really flesh out all this stuff, or use it in some other ways.  Sequels are the 2nd season of your favorite TV show.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By trophyhunter

Take the change from Assassin's creed 1 to AC2 for example. Seeing how much better AC2 is compare to AC1, it's hard to believe they came out in the same generation. Then AC:brotherhood came out and made it even better.

If there were no sequels, gone would be the insanely in depth universe building of a Mass Effect or dragon age. Wow we put years worth of work into making this crazy deep universe with really interesting characters. Now since we made one game, no one will see any of this stuff ever again. We probably could have saved months of work there. Maybe if we could make a 2nd game, we could really flesh out all this stuff, or use it in some other ways.  Sequels are the 2nd season of your favorite TV show.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

They are for the most part, though some developers will churn out sequels because of sheer laziness.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Tim Schafer is the best thing to happen to video games!^^

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

That's true to an extent, but there's also a possibility that a game was simply meant to be a one-off. To make a movie analogy for instance, none of the Matrix sequels were really necessary and they probably degraded the quality of the source material overall.  

I agree that some games with a rich and untapped universe like Mass Effect benefit from sequels (especially those deriving gameplay and plot storylines from past choices) but other games such as Prince of Persia: Sands of Time were great just as a standalone I think; can anyone here honestly say that Warrior Within was "needed" or beneficial to the series?

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Fudgeblood

They are and they aren't. For games with a large universe or story they're great, and as you said they can help improve a game or bring it into a newer generation. But they can also ruin a great series. Then there's stuff like the Call of Duty franchise, where they aren't continuing a story or universe, they aren't drasticly improving any game mechanics (Except for Call of Duty 4), all they're doing is making money off a big name.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By trophyhunter
@mylifeforAiur said:
" Tim Schafer is the best thing to happen to video games!^^ "
In theory yes, but almost never in actuality.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By trophyhunter
@Geno said:

" That's true to an extent, but there's also a possibility that a game was simply meant to be a one-off. To make a movie analogy for instance, none of the Matrix sequels were really necessary and they probably degraded the quality of the source material overall.   I agree that some games with a rich and untapped universe like Mass Effect benefit from sequels (especially those deriving gameplay and plot storylines from past choices) but other games such as Prince of Persia: Sands of Time were great just as a standalone I think; can anyone here honestly say that Warrior Within was "needed" or beneficial to the series? "

Well really Warrior Within did vastly improve the combat of the games, but the badttitude was unfortunate.
Badttitude actually was quite the tread as in several games the main guy went dark for the sequel .
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

Dead Rising 2 and Halo: Reach are the two games I'm playing at the moment and both are awful due to their overly derivative nature.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Malakhii

I'm going to say good games are the best thing to happen to video games, whether they are sequels or not doesn't really matter to me. 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust
@Malakhii said:
" I'm going to say good games are the best thing to happen to video games, whether they are sequels or not doesn't really matter to me.  "
I agree.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By trophyhunter
@Fudgeblood said:

" They are and they aren't. For games with a large universe or story they're great, and as you said they can help improve a game or bring it into a newer generation. But they can also ruin a great series. Then there's stuff like the Call of Duty franchise, where they aren't continuing a story or universe, they aren't drasticly improving any game mechanics (Except for Call of Duty 4), all they're doing is making money off a big name. "

Call of duty 4 to MW2 did continue a story and a universe actually.
Also Technically all dynasty warriors games are remakes of DW1. 
They all tell the same story with the same characters, but with slight improvements.
So Technically they are all are remakes not sequels.
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hunkulese
@trophyhunter said:
" Take the change from Assassin's creed 1 to AC2 for example. Seeing how much better AC2 is compare to AC1, it's hard to believe they came out in the same generation. Then AC:brotherhood came out and made it even better. If there were no sequels, gone would be the insanely in depth universe building of a Mass Effect or dragon age. Wow we put years worth of work into making this crazy deep universe with really interesting characters. Now since we made one game, no one will see any of this stuff ever again. We probably could have saved months of work there. Maybe if we could make a 2nd game, we could really flesh out all this stuff, or use it in some other ways.  Sequels are the 2nd season of your favorite TV show. "
I was with you until the last line. Second seasons rarely live up to the first seasons.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trophyhunter
@Hunkulese said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" Take the change from Assassin's creed 1 to AC2 for example. Seeing how much better AC2 is compare to AC1, it's hard to believe they came out in the same generation. Then AC:brotherhood came out and made it even better. If there were no sequels, gone would be the insanely in depth universe building of a Mass Effect or dragon age. Wow we put years worth of work into making this crazy deep universe with really interesting characters. Now since we made one game, no one will see any of this stuff ever again. We probably could have saved months of work there. Maybe if we could make a 2nd game, we could really flesh out all this stuff, or use it in some other ways.  Sequels are the 2nd season of your favorite TV show. "
I was with you until the last line. Second seasons rarely live up to the first seasons. "
How about the 2nd episode of the first season?
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By trophyhunter

Wow people actually agree? 
I was expecting a lot more "They should make original games Whah!"
When you really think about it, it's pretty hard to come up with something truly truly original.
That's what I'll give the PS1 era props for. Development was so cheap back then, that anyone with a wild hair up there ass could make a game. Also that was the time where Japan wackiness was in it's prime.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I've always thought that, if you had to pinpoint one single reason that games are different from books or movies, it's that game sequels are almost always an improvement. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I prefer games that don't have direct sequels, so I can enjoy the story in one good, well-thought out game.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman

The BEST thing to happen to video games? No. In general, more shitty sequels are made than good ones. Of course there are times when sequels are obviously the correct answer though.  

I didn't know anyone was against good sequels.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Claude

I thought Super Mario Galaxy was better than Super Mario Galaxy 2. The sequel to Deus Ex wasn't great. Modern Warfare 2? I don't know.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Enigma777

I strongly agree. All the best games are sequels.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By benpack

I very much agree in most cases, only one I can think of as not being as great is BioShock 2. Oh, and River Raid 2.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I tend to agree.  For the most part, every sequel I play in a series just makes me love the series more and more.  There are obviously exceptions to this, but it's true for most series. 

Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Palaeomerus
@trophyhunter said:

" @mylifeforAiur said:

" Tim Schafer is the best thing to happen to video games!^^ "

In theory yes, but almost never in actuality. "
Well...Tim Shafer is probably the best thing to happen to S.C.U.M at least.  
Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Palaeomerus
@HandsomeDead said:
" Dead Rising 2 and Halo: Reach are the two games I'm playing at the moment and both are awful due to their overly derivative nature. "
I rather like both of those games, especially Reach, and don't see how something being derived from something else is necessarily a bad thing in and of itself.  

I also don't really know what makes something "overly derivative" or how we are supposed to measure that.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By kingzetta
@Palaeomerus said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" Dead Rising 2 and Halo: Reach are the two games I'm playing at the moment and both are awful due to their overly derivative nature. "
I rather like both of those games, especially Reach, and don't see how something being derived from something else is necessarily a bad thing in and of itself.   I also don't really know what makes something "overly derivative" or how we are supposed to measure that. "
Well 4 Guitar Hero games coming out in one year is overly derivative.