• 73 results
graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By graniteoctopus

so i watched their bioshock 2 review and they feature a sentence that basically spoils the whole damn game. now im just pleased i dont really care about this one but what the fuck are they doing over there. do they not realise that people watching those reviews just might want to experience all the plot themselves? i combed the site trying to find an email of at least one of the editors so i could email my disaproval of their constant journalistic negligance but found absolutely nothing. on the off chance somewhere here knows who to email by all means lay it on me.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By warxsnake

with you.  

also have to blame publisher marketing as well. Working as a dev, sometimes the trailers they put out for our game frustrate us (prince of persia FS for example). 

an example is if you check mass effect 2 videos overall, there are more than 50 trailers, gameplay, cgi vids on gametrailers.. thats insane.. most of that was the last few weeks before release. 

and yeah, gametrailers themselves with their new "feature videos" where they show the first hour of a game, or even a bunch of vids for the ending of a game. At least those are clearly labeled spoiler, but they spoil a whole lot in their reviews as well, which i  have learnt to ignore these days. I did not watch the mass effect 2 video review out of fear.  

I remember playing mgs4, that first mission in whatever-the-fuck-stan, i knew everything by heart having watched all the culminating videos for mgs4. i knew exactly what was going to happen and when. 

this is why giantbomb is my #1 site since it was conceived, for reviews and game stuff. they dont spoil anything that the devs havent spoilt themselves, and you can enjoy spoiler heavy podcasts once you are done with a game by listening to the clearly labeled spoil-casts. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

I guess it'd be too much to ask for you to just avoid things that piss you off.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By PercyChuggs

Then don't watch the review to begin with, duh.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Yeah, that shit pisses me off.  I just watched their Dante's Inferno Review,

I mean wtf?  Why the hell did they feel the need to show that?  It adds absolutly nothing to the fucking review, yet probably ruined a part of the story.  I wanted to play that shit once it hit bargain bins too. 
Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mariek430

Gamespot's review of Uncharted 2 was pretty hilarious as well.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ImperiousRix

I saw the Gametrailers Bioshock 2 review and didn't feel like there was any big spoilers given away.  What is it you're exactly talking about?

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By graniteoctopus
@ryanwho:
i guess it'd be too much to ask to actually contribute to the conversation in a constructive way
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Milkman

What's the sentence? I'd love to know how this ONE SENTENCE spoiled every plot point of the game for you.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I kind of agree with the dudes that say don't watch it, but also I'm with you that's is a completely douche move to put major spoilers in a review.  It would also suck ass for someone new to Gametrailers or someone who had never watched one of their reviews to have a highly anticipated game spoiled by them.  I mean, you wouldn't expect major spoilers in a damn review.  I have not seen the review, so I don't know what you're talking about.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho
@graniteoctopus said:
" @ryanwho: i guess it'd be too much to ask to actually contribute to the conversation in a constructive way "
We should be talking about how anything you don't like should change for you since changing the channel is out of the question. My bad, please continue.
graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By graniteoctopus
@Milkman: 
 no need to be a jackass about it.
They reveal that your little sister is the daughter of the woman causing all the mayhem in rapture. if thats not spoiling and giving away the motivations for the main villian i dont know what is.
graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By graniteoctopus
@ryanwho:
i would advise you simply shut up and say nothing at all but abviously thats beyond you
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Milkman
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ
@PercyChuggs said:
" Then don't watch the review to begin with, duh. "

The key flaw with that logic, is that there aren't any spoiler warnings. So you watch the review to see if you want to buy it, then they go ahead and spoil a little too much? Sounds like bullshit. I understand spoilers in a podcast, that's wild-west and anything should be said on those (and am kinda pissed when the bombcast gets pressured into talking around everything). But people go to reviews for buying advice pretty often, so that's pretty retarded.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@graniteoctopus said:
" @ryanwho: i would advise you simply shut up and say nothing at all but abviously thats beyond you "

No Caption Provided
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho
@graniteoctopus:
See that's the thing. You don't know what is. You haven't played the game, you dont know the story. It could be revealed in the first 5 minutes, not unlike the MASSIVE SPOILER I'm sure you complained about with Mass Effect 2 that happens in the first 5 minutes. See, you don't know if its a spoiler because you haven't played the game. It could be the base framework, it could be revealed at the very beginning. You don't know. And if you consider even a beginning of the game reveal as a spoiler, common sense, don't watch a video review because they talk about games in game reviews. I don't mean to sound condescending, I don't know how you expect people to respond to your impotent rage over a maybe spoiler for a game you haven't played in a 9 minute game video review.
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By apathylad
@graniteoctopus said:
" @Milkman: 
 no need to be a jackass about it.
"
Jeff points that out in his review as well. I remember one spoiler that put me off was when Xplay reviewed Persona 3 FES. In their review, they gave away the ending for "The Journey" to talk about the second game "The Answer".
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Synthballs

I can see where you're coming from but if it's a regular occurrence, why look at them?

Edit: Also, I hate Video reviews. Would much rather read one.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By neoepoch

I had a problem with their Spirit Tracks review and spoilers, but I'm pretty sure that even 2K Marin said spoiler that you are complaining about.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

Then don't look at them. Gametrailers is so terrible anyway.

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By graniteoctopus
@ryanwho:
well i expect more than a "don't watch it". thats like telling someone who was hit by a stray car not to stand on the sidewalk. and no i didnt complain about the mass effect 2 spoiler because i induced a media blackout. and what part of my original post was rage filled? i said i was disapointed in their review process and asked if someone knew who to email to express my dissatisfaction directly. anyway i dont want this topic to delve further into a flame war so say what you have to say and lets be on with it.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@MAN_FLANNEL said:

" Yeah, that shit pisses me off.  I just watched their Dante's Inferno Review,

I mean wtf?  Why the hell did they feel the need to show that?  It adds absolutly nothing to the fucking review, yet probably ruined a part of the story.  I wanted to play that shit once it hit bargain bins too.  "
I am not buying the review for Dante from gametrailers. Who ever wrote the review has issues with how close it is to GOW. He was also whining the entire time.

As for giving out spoilers in a review. There is all ways that chance.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho

I already said it, and you felt the need to start calling people names because I'm not waving a pitchfork or whatever the hell you intended to accomplish here. You need to chill out. If you think watching a 9 minute game review and finding out stuff about the game is the same as getting hit by a car for walking on the sidewalk, I don't know that you can be reasoned with. Are you just going to pick a fight with everyone who points out the obvious? At least 4 people have so far, you seem hellbent on raging on just me for whatever reason.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By trophyhunter
@ryanwho said:
" I guess it'd be too much to ask for you to just avoid things that piss you off. "
graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By graniteoctopus
@ryanwho:
whatevs.
absinthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By absinthetic

should prolly stop going there then

Durandal377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Durandal377

Was the spoiler bit in their story segment? Because when I'm concerned about that sort of thing, I usually try to tune that part out. Turn off the volume, and try to avoid looking directly at what is occurring until the next bit starts. Well, unless it happened to occur outside of that part, in which case something is wrong here. It might be a bit extreme, but spoilers are an inherent risk of the video game review, more especially when there is a segment devoted the story. 
 Does it suck that it was spoiled for you? Yes.  
Were you aware of the GT review format? If so, you probably should have been conscientious of how their reviews go, since they make it relatively easy to skip the story portion of the review. 
Though I will agree that the coverage of spoilers in reviews is a big downer, it seems to be the way things are, and I can't envision it changing anytime soon. 

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Torrim

Here's what I do:  I don't read reviews.

The point where I stopped putting so much damn stock into reviews is also the point where I started enjoying myself more.  I've found my method of "well, guess I'll just buy it and find out!"  holds up better than splitting hairs over reviews.

(and I'm just as poor as you guys, so don't start with that 'we dont have money to burn' argument)

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Their review of Mass Effect 2 spoiled the beginning of the game so quickly I couldn't skip ahead. 

That was first and last time I let myself get upset about their video reviews spoiling plot. Now I know to simply not watch their reviews.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho
@Torrim said:

" Here's what I do:  I don't read reviews.  The point where I stopped putting so much damn stock into reviews is also the point where I started enjoying myself more.  I've found my method of "well, guess I'll just buy it and find out!"  holds up better than splitting hairs over reviews.  (and I'm just as poor as you guys, so don't start with that 'we dont have money to burn' argument) "

Right. Before Quick Looks, these GT long ass video reviews were kind of handy. You really get an impression of the game. But now we have QLs, and other sites copying it. You really don't need to go to GT to see how a game looks outside of the developer railed tour anymore.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By weltal

How exactly do you know that this one sentence spoils the game if you haven't played it?

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MajorToms

I'm not so much just inclined to say that reviews or previews give away too much of a story,but that they sometimes even spoil important plot points. It's not a matter of not knowing what part of the game that is, and therefore spoilers it is not. If you're giving away plot twists, like a good guy gone rogue three-quarters through a game, and you're showing it in a review; meanwhile people that are just getting the game or are going to get it know that their friend is going to turn on them, you're ruining the narative just by showing. 

In the Gamespot GOTY nominees video I think it was, they showed Batman: Arkham Asylum. You want to know what part of the game they showed? 

I know the game had been out for months at that point, and most people wouldn't think twice about it. However, I was in the ending stages of the game when I saw that video and it pissed me right off. WHY? even though it was inevitable I would be fighting that, I didn't know for certain I would be, and now thanks to that stupid video, I don't know if I should even bother finishing the game.  

So before you get on your politically correct high-horse of "Don't watch videos with spoilers in it!", can you tell me how I was to know they would throw that high-caliber clip of the game into that video, essentially ruining it for me?
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rowr
@MajorToms said:
" So before you get on your politically correct high-horse of "Don't watch videos with spoilers in it!", can you tell me how I was to know they would throw that high-caliber clip of the game into that video, essentially ruining it for me? "
Seriously.
graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By graniteoctopus
@MajorToms:
indeed.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By bubahula

i stopped going there a long time ago. for many reasons

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Yukoei
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ryanwho
@Rowr said:
" @MajorToms said:
" So before you get on your politically correct high-horse of "Don't watch videos with spoilers in it!", can you tell me how I was to know they would throw that high-caliber clip of the game into that video, essentially ruining it for me? "
Seriously. "
So you don't know what politically correct means. Its the opposite of common sense, which you apply here. You haven't played the game and wouldn't know a spoiler if you saw it, and you're watching a 9 minute video review where they're going to talk about the story. Essentially, as a person who's not played the game, ANYTHING from the story they show you could be considered a spoiler because you don't know what is and isn't important. So if you don't know the story, and assume anything that shows an important looking story event (you know, to give people an idea of a game's quality you have to show quality parts of the game) is a major endgame spoiler that ruins the game, then don't watch 9 minute video reviews. You're just making assumptions. This is all baseless speculation. You ruined the game for yourself when you presumed for whatever asinine reason this sliver of story information that's been divulged now in multiple reviews (which should give you an idea of its importance) was the most important thing that would happen in the game.
graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By graniteoctopus

to those saying don't watch the videos i would love to see how you would react if someone spoiled a game you were looking forward to then told you its your fault for listening

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This happens with movies too.

I was talking up the movie 'Moon' on another thread and somebody - with the best of intentions - posted an official trailer.

It pretty much spoiled the main plot point. I was taken aback that the studio would give so much away in a promo. Of all movies, the less you know about that one before you see it, the better.

If I hadn't illegally downloaded a hi-def version ahead of time, it would have been spoiled for me too. Thank God for piracy.

If you haven't seen it, watch it now. It's great.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Well, people have said that in this specific case with Bioshock 2 whatever it was they mentioned in the review is something you find out very early on in the game so I think they can be excused for this one. If they are spoiling games on a regular basis in their reviews though, that is very poor work on their part. 

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By poser
@Atomasist: For everything. He's worse than anyone on IGN.
mrmanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mrmanga

Well most video reviews do this nowadays. It seems they forget that story is a big part of a game experience and just lays it all out about the story.  
I remember seeing the video review of MGS 4 on gamespot. Yeah thanks for the spoilers. Anyway not to go off topic. Gametrailers do one thing too much in my opinion and that is to compare games to other games of the same genre like in theyr newly upploaded review of Dantes Inferno the reviewer constantly compares it to God of war and how much better God Of  War is.  

The point of a review is not to compare games of the same franchise to eachother sure some comparison must be done but gametrailers doing this way to much lately. 
Back on track with the Bioshock 2 thing. Thats a bad example friend. All the reviews ive read and seen takes this up, so it must be a early game thing since they dont even consider it a spoiler. 

That said i would say i agree with your statement that gametrailers do spoil things a little too often. Not always with what theyre saying more with the video clips they use in the review itself.
lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By lucas_kelly

Yeah this is something that I noticed when watching the review. How could they think that wasn't a spoiler?

Noxpectius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Noxpectius

Plus, they didnt even talk about Multiplayer.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By luce

I've never been much of a stifler for spoilers but this just sounds stupid. Why would you risk having spoilers in a video review?

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By graniteoctopus

i'll now admit the bioshock 2 one wasnt as bad as i thought but they do this all too often. though as the likes of ryanwho would have you believe its your fault for watching it and they're justified in putting this content in their reviews.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WinterSnowblind

This is exactly why I stopped watching their reviews.   I'll ocassionally use them for entertainment purposes, or if it's an old game where I don't particularly care about the story, but I stayed very far away from the Uncharted 2 and ME2 reviews.  Don't care what they think if it means ruining the plot.

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MajorToms
@ryanwho: haha
I think you totally missed the  point of what I was saying. I was already playing through the Batman: Arkham Asylum, about 90% done with out collecting everything.. the video my friend showed me had a clip from every game they were nominating for GOTY, and the ONE clip of the Batman game happened to be a huge spoiler, espicially for someone that far into the game. I had no idea the game I was playing was going to be in this video when he showed it to me. Furthermore, I had no idea a video game website could be that fucking careless with their clip selections.

Don't say "Don't watch videos" because the arguement is useless. You're basically going against the thread topic for the sake of being different. Of course I could not watch videos and generally, outside of giantbomb, I don't watch many video game videos for this very reason.