#1 Posted by acharlie1377 (61 posts) -

With the purchase of a Switch last year, I've slowly been gaining interest in JRPGs; I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 a few months ago and played it to absolute death, and I've been looking at buying Octopath Traveler or Disgaea 5 in the next few months. However, a lot of these games seem... troubling, to say the least. Recent articles about Octopath and Valkyria Chronicles 4 have talked about the sexist stuff in these games, and a lot Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is pretty deplorable (I actually returned the game after seeing some of the more problematic side quests and character models). I really enjoy the grand scale and intricate systems of these games, but seeing female characters being hyper-sexualized and objectified hugely detracts from my enjoyment of them. I also feel like I'm enabling that sexism by buying these games. Does anyone else feel similarly, or is this just par for the course for JRPGs?

#2 Posted by Efesell (4060 posts) -

I really just can't get worked up over anime level fanservice so stuff like that just washes over me without any real incident. Xenoblades full of risque art and often ridiculous models but does not have a malicious edge to it that would really cause me much concern.

#3 Edited by Puchiko (803 posts) -

Maybe JRPGs aren’t for you. Fan service is a standard thing in Japanese games to appeal to their intended demographic. I played xenoblade and found nothing that offensive as you make it to be.

#4 Posted by CrazyBagMan (1598 posts) -

Depends on the situation. I'm not super familiar with these series', but haven't really noticed anything egregious in the coverage I've seen. Yeah, some of the female characters tend to be well endowed and with less armor than male characters. Am I an outlier for not thinking this is as offensive as some?

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
#5 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (1035 posts) -

It’s okay to like problematic things. I played some of Octopath, the depiction of women in the game is often despicable in ways that I won't say cause I don’t have the energy to write a full essay, but I still enjoyed playing it. You don’t have to feel « bad » about it, especially if you’re aware enough to acknowledge how problematic it is and are not just actively trying to ignore it. Be critical of the things you love and all.

That being said, if it bothers you to the point of destroying all the enjoyment in the game, there’s not much you can do other than hoping they do better by their character in the future.

#6 Posted by devilzrule27 (1289 posts) -

I feel similar to you. The way xenoblade portrayed women was definitely one of the reasons I stopped playing. It's simply off-putting. That said it is definitely common especially among more niche jrpgs but you'll find it in Final Fantasy and other bigger franchises too. It comes with the territory I guess, I just try to avoid it when its more gratuitous in nature like in Xenoblade.

#7 Posted by acharlie1377 (61 posts) -

@puchiko: I don't mean to bemoan anime, I just don't think it's okay to justify some of these decisions just by saying it's to cater to a demographic. You can say that XC2 needed to include back-breakingly busty women with extremely revealing clothing in order to turn a profit, and I can sort of understand that from a business perspective. But looking at someone like Kora, her design goes past fan service to be pretty offensive. Her actual appearance could be justified by the fan service argument--even the fact that when using her level 3 special, the camera fixates directly on her almost completely-naked a**--but her entire side quest revolves around her and Mythra competing to see who has the most "Girl Power," by figuring out who can talk the most, who has the best fashion sense, and who's hotter. There's also the Heart-to-Heart where Poppi teaches Pyra how to be a good waifu, and quite a few other examples.

I don't think the fan-servicey parts can be considered okay just because it's a "standard thing" either, but the writing for a lot of the female characters is much worse than just fan service. And based on what I've read about Octopath/Valkyria, those games feature much less fan service, but the same diminutive attitude towards many of the female characters.

#8 Posted by acharlie1377 (61 posts) -

@fear_the_booboo: So, would say you enjoyed Octopath enough to offset the problematic parts? This game looks real good, and I've been waffling on getting it for a month now for various reasons.

#9 Posted by Relkin (1029 posts) -

It's par for the course in JRPGs, in games in general, and in stories in general. Having not played any of the games mentioned, I won't comment on whether or not I think they're sexist. What I will say is that everyone likes to look at attractive people, and everyone objectifies other people; men and women, on a daily basis. Everyone likes to be titillated, and we're all going to have different opinions on what is too much; at what point it goes from being good fun to being gross or even outright sexist. I think the important thing to do in this situation is to try and determine whether something you're disgusted by is actually sexist, or if it's just unappealing to your sensibilities. It's not uncommon for some people to see something from another culture that has different standards for what's OK and what's not OK and immediately brand it as a form of bigotry, even when it isn't. Don't get me wrong: there's definitely some fucked up shit out there, but also remember that there are people out there that would consider something that you think is fine to be anything but. There are plenty of times when something is wrong regardless of nationality, ethnicity or creed, but there are just as many times when something is just a difference of opinion.

I write this only because I wouldn't like to see someone potentially lose interest in a genre they're developing an affinity for because of something as stupid as fanservice.

#10 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (1035 posts) -

@acharlie1377: I personally have, though I haven’t and will not finish it (still played 35 hours of it though).

It’s hard to tell, there’s no overtly sexualized character models, considering the look. That being said, the game touches on sexual assault in one of the storyline and it’s poorly handled, and it also comes with all your usual women clichés in terms of JRPGs. The articles you’ve read about it are probably on point. It bothered me, even a lot, but I was able to enjoy it past that. It’s difficult for me to tell if you would like it too, considering we have all different tolerance torwards sexist shit. I certainly wouldn’t bemoan anybody who couldn’t enjoy the game because of it.

#11 Posted by doctordonkey (1746 posts) -

Maybe when western outlets like Gamespot stop tweeting about how "epic" nuclear warfare is and applauding and glorifying grandiose levels of violence, we can talk about criticizing other cultures and demographics.

#12 Posted by FrostyRyan (2838 posts) -

Maybe when western outlets like Gamespot stop tweeting about how "epic" nuclear warfare is and applauding and glorifying grandiose levels of violence, we can talk about criticizing other cultures and demographics.

thread should end here

#13 Posted by PeteyCoco (269 posts) -

I think this is just a symptom of the larger issue of sexism in Japan. It's a tricky issue to deal with when you are not a part of the culture that is making the games and is the primary market. In the best cases the localization team will adapt the work to be more in tune with western culture, but that can only go so far. I don't see these games changing unless either the western market becomes the primary market or if views in Japan change. In any case, it can't hurt to let the publishers, developers, and localization teams know your concerns if you are bothered (in a respectful manner, of course).

I'm not a fan of the portrayal of women in a lot of mainstream Japanese media and it turns me off most JRPGs and anime, but I can't say I'm surprised when I see it. In most cases I just roll my eyes and keep pressing on if I like the rest of the work.

#14 Edited by blackichigo (429 posts) -

It sucks the OP is letting a great game like Octopath go unplayed because he or she probably read some clickbaity article on a site like Kotaku. I'm having trouble even trying to remember anything particularly sexist in that game. The only thing that come to mind is Primrose. Her path is almost like a Grind-house revenge story. She is a woman in a shitty situation that may as well be stripper/prostitute. Its a story that kind of makes you feel gross, because I feel that is what the writers were going for. It makes it feel that much more cathartic when she does get her revenge.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2, one the other hand, no big loss there. It has nothing to do with the bodacious female lead. The horrendous voice acting and slow, boring combat made me quit that game 30 hours in.

#15 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (1035 posts) -

@frostyryan: @doctordonkey

I fail to see why you can’t do both? It’s very weird to me that someone would bring issues he or she has with a game and you’re actively trying to shut the discussion as soon as possible, by invoking another different issue that also needs criticism?

#16 Posted by FacelessVixen (2440 posts) -

*constantly mentions [my] attachment to Senran Kagura and Ikkitousen*

*adverts eyes away from Cindy's cleavage in Final Fantasy XV*

Even I have my limits; not to the point where I'll have an crisis of conscious for buying games that aren't inherently erotic but have some level of sexuality to them, but I personally don't like ecchi in my T rated games.

#17 Posted by Justin258 (15492 posts) -

@acharlie1377: I personally have, though I haven’t and will not finish it (still played 35 hours of it though).

It’s hard to tell, there’s no overtly sexualized character models, considering the look. That being said, the game touches on sexual assault in one of the storyline and it’s poorly handled, and it also comes with all your usual women clichés in terms of JRPGs. The articles you’ve read about it are probably on point. It bothered me, even a lot, but I was able to enjoy it past that. It’s difficult for me to tell if you would like it too, considering we have all different tolerance torwards sexist shit. I certainly wouldn’t bemoan anybody who couldn’t enjoy the game because of it.

So I'm pretty sure you're referring to Primrose's story. How was it poorly handled in regards to Primrose being an objectified character? I don't really think that's true of the character at all. She's definitely the driving force in her own story and has no problem being the dominant personality on screen. Yes, she does start the game as a (*ahem*) "dancer" and the game all but says she's a prostitute when it starts, but she pushes back against the man that keeps putting her down and wins. And then goes on to try and avenge her father's death. The game doesn't treat her as an object - she's a character, with a story and motivations and a will that drives her forward. Part of her story also involves her sexuality and how she takes control of it and then uses it for her own means, but that's not the defining part of her story, and certainly not the defining part of her character.

If you want to argue that Primrose's story is just poorly written in general, I'm all ears, though I found it to be one of the more interesting stories of the bunch.

I don't at all see how the other three female characters are sexist or objectified or such. It has been a few months since I played it, but H'aanit is one of the best hunters and one of the key figures of her society, Ophelia becomes an important authority figure in her religion, and Tressa... well, Tressa gets saddled with being the annoying kid figure in the story, unfortunately, but that has little to do with her sex and more to do with being the youngest and most naive character of the group. It's been a few months since I put down Octopath Traveler so maybe I'm missing a small detail or two here and there, but there's just no sexualization or objectification going on for the other three female characters that I can think of.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2's depiction of women isn't a thing I'm going to defend, though. I was turned away from that game by some of the "blades" before it even came out.

#18 Posted by Rejizzle (1021 posts) -

You absolutely can, and should, view the things you enjoy through a critical lens. Doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it, but recognizing problematic elements is part of being a consumer.

Pretty sure I stole this from an Austin Walker tweet, but it's true!

#19 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (1035 posts) -

@justin258: I wrote in my first post that I don’t have the energy nor the intention to write an essay about why I think the depiction of women in Octopath is problematic. First it’s been a while since I’ve played this game and I’m not here to go back and do the research to resurface what annoyed me while I was playing. Second it’s been talked about a lot by people that are better at English than I. It has a lot to do with Primrose, yeah, but also a lot of how the game surfaces women personalities different than it does men’s, including the NPCs.

I don’t think you’re coming in bad faith but I can’t really take the time to go in details. There’s a few articles that go in-depth about why they think the game has a problem with representation of women, so you can search for those if you’re curious about why someone would think Octopath is sexist, you don’t have to agree either, but I personally fall on the side of the game being problematic.

#20 Edited by geirr (3701 posts) -

In some/most(?) fandoms and genres you really have to take the good with the bad and come to peace with it on your own.

#21 Edited by onarum (3212 posts) -

If you want to not play good games just so you don't get your sensibilities hurt(over imaginary cartoony digital agglomerates of polygons portraying human beings) that's totally your prerogative of course, you shouldn't feel bad about it.

#22 Posted by WanLaghima (34 posts) -

I have the same problems with a lot of that too, but I can't say its a JRPG problem. If you look at older games like Chono Trigger, Golden Sun, Phantasy Star, The earlier Final Fantasy games, Pokemon (?), then you might not find as much of this. Unfortunately it is playing to a demographic but I also think that is a poor excuse. A shallow character doesn't do any good for any story.

I think it goes both ways. We should expect more from developers and they should expect more from us.

#23 Posted by poobumbutt (937 posts) -

What a surprise that the first few responses are "well, it's anime, and it ALWAYS happens in anime." Apparently if something is a big enough problem that it's become practically a staple of the medium, you don't get to have issues about it anymore - or at least, your critique gets shrugged off like you're complaining about a minor bug in an AC game.

Pyra's awful design was one of the reasons I stopped playing that game, though I won't pretend it was the only one. Trying to have deep meaningful conversations about your life while Pyra is wearing what amounts to the anime Leia-slave costume just does not work.

Also, I think there is a distinction worth making about why Pyra's design is so bad. It is not only embarrassing fan-service, but also an uninventive, uninteresting design. There are ways you can have a fan-service-y outfit that actually communicates something about the character (Bayonetta instantly comes to mind), even if in most cases, I'd rather have the character be dressed in actual clothing because that's usually where cooler-looking designs can happen. But Pyra's whole demeanor and attitude feels precisely opposite of a character who would wear her outfit in that game. Just... bad.

#24 Posted by The_Nubster (3849 posts) -

@justin258: I'll come forward and say I've only played the demo of Octopath Traveler, but having a character who is restrained, humiliated, and held back because of her gender (being used as a prostitute, abused sexually and physically because she presumably couldn't find another profession to let her get where she needed to be in life), and then having her special interaction with the world be """""charming""""" people is incredibly fucked up. Forcing her to use the thing that's holding her life back to advance in the world is something that crosses a lot of lines that I am not at all comfortable with, coming from a game which doesn't at all acknowledge the lines that it's attempting to cross. I don't really care if it gets better later, but presenting Primrose in that light from the get-go is so ignorant and gross that it immediately killed any interest I had in the game.

#25 Posted by Efesell (4060 posts) -

@poobumbutt: I don't think there's a lot of brushing aside.. the question was asked whether or not this is just the norm and the answer is just like...yeah kind of.

I don't think anyone should just let their concerns be shut down purely with 'That's just how it is' but at the same time it is a reality of the genre that ultimately you will likely just have to accept on some level or just walk away.

#26 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1838 posts) -

About 17 hours into Xenoblade 2 at the moment and nothing I've seen has caused me any reason to be upset.

#27 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15557 posts) -

Unfortunately, I think dumb tropes and occasionally dubious portrayals of women are usually part of the package with JRPGs and anime-influenced stuff in general. I'm pretty desensitized to a lot of that nonsense, with all but the most egregious fanservice or characterization getting an eye roll or snarky comment at most, but I won't condemn anyone for finding it off-putting. Don't feel bad if that is a deal-breaker for you.

Hell, even by my own skewed standards, I think Pyra's character design in Xenoblade 2 is pretty embarrassing. It's a pity, because I liked what I saw of that game's story from occasionally watching a roommate play it, but if you aren't tolerant of a fairly horny brand of anime-ass anime it's going to be rough going in parts.

#28 Posted by The_Greg (480 posts) -

I hate JRPGs, but I'm a firm believer in letting people write and develop the stories they want. If that means there's a lack of diversity and maybe even some offensive material, so be it. That's art.

As long as there's no 'in-your-face' racism or sexism, just for the sake of it, without actually giving some sensible commentary on the matter, it's all fair game.

With all that being said, some JRPGs are absolutely gross and utterly paedophilic. How anime and JRPGs get away with sexualising kids in school uniforms absolutely baffles me.

#29 Posted by Sessh (3293 posts) -

I love JRPGS and I've come to accept that I'll just always have to ignore certain aspects about them.

That's just how anime/manga stories work for whatever reason (sales to adolescent boys most likely).

#30 Posted by stantongrouse (129 posts) -

@acharlie1377: Questioning depiction and representation in media is a good thing and if it shapes how we all adjust what we see as 'normal' it makes sure we keep moving forward as a society.

I teach young adults and these sorts of questions come up a lot in our lessons - often with strong opinions on both sides of the argument. The one thing I tend to suggest is that they think about how they would feel about a particular representation of a group different from them if they were in a room with people of that group. So, for the fanservice-y tropes of JRPGs, would they be comfortable showing those depictions to a mother, sister or partner? If the answer is no, then maybe it is not a particularly good representation to support. Being understanding of other cultures doesn't a have to mean accepting cultural norms and values that degrade others - it also doesn't mean we think our own stance is better, it's almost certainly got its own faults.

It's a tough subject, one that's under particular scrutiny in the media at the moment and as a result get people riled up on both sides. Keep questioning these things though - the best we can all do, never accept the status quo! (the band or the lack of societal change).

#31 Posted by df (384 posts) -

I really enjoy the grand scale and intricate systems of these games, but seeing female characters being hyper-sexualized and objectified hugely detracts from my enjoyment of them. I also feel like I'm enabling that sexism by buying these games.

1. understandable, many people feel uncomfortable with late night anime tropes, even though these anime often explore interesting topics.

2. no, you are not enabling sexism. I should say I for one enjoy these silly fan services but I can distinguish between anime and reality.

There are MANY ways sexism manifest in real world, in politics, in ads, in films. I personally believe we have better hill to die on than getting angry at polygons.

But if we have to pick a fight, let me start 2:

- You know all those popular RPG card battle/idol raising mobile game from Japan, aren't those literally "objectification of characters"? Where you literally "collect characters" and they all have "rareness" like loots.

- Why does characters that get tortured by the storyline often get a pass? Let's say 2B from Nier, I think many people come to like her but is she really that different from a classic anime character like Pyra from XB2?

While I think objectification in general is problematic, I really fail to see how JRPG's self-aware fan services is enabling sexism.

#32 Edited by soulcake (2456 posts) -

It's definitely a culture difference, Do i think the preporssions on some of the xenoblade characters are unrealistic, yes! But then i am not a fan off force feeding your value and norms to other cultures, as we slowly move to one big "Western Society" It's only a mater of time before they take over those value, so i rather have a natural transition then a forced one, but hey this is just a opinion.

#33 Edited by Humanity (18250 posts) -

@relkin: Very well said, I feel like this should be posted as a disclaimer somewhere.

#35 Posted by loafofgame (133 posts) -

@stantongrouse said:

@acharlie1377: I teach young adults and these sorts of questions come up a lot in our lessons - often with strong opinions on both sides of the argument. The one thing I tend to suggest is that they think about how they would feel about a particular representation of a group different from them if they were in a room with people of that group. So, for the fanservice-y tropes of JRPGs, would they be comfortable showing those depictions to a mother, sister or partner? If the answer is no, then maybe it is not a particularly good representation to support.

I think this is a good approach. I can understand people want to enjoy certain content in their own space, without having to think about how someone else might feel about that content. But in that case you also run the risk that you don't understand why people have problems with said content when you start discussing it in public. And as a result you might reinforce their views on the impact of that content. I think you should still be able to enjoy problematic stuff in your own time, but at least be considerate and willing to acknowledge that something you view as harmless, can be problematic to others.

#36 Posted by acharlie1377 (61 posts) -

@df:I think my answer to both of your questions is that it depends on the context. Obviously, there is some amount of objectification in all JRPGs; no matter how impactful the story is, it's just more efficient to look at characters as a list of numbers. This isn't inherently sexist, but becomes problematic when female characters are systematically exploited or denigrated. Aesthetically, this is apparent in how almost all of XC2's female Blades are hyper-sexualized, whereas the male Blades have much more dynamic appearances. 2B in Nier is also pretty problematic (her 'Revealing Outfit', the achievement you can get for looking up her skirt, these choices being justified by the developer "liking women", etc.), but at least her character is generally independent and well-written. Unfortunately, most of the female characters in XC2 are largely defined by their relationship with male characters, not by their own drives; Nia in particular starts as a very independent character with an interesting backstory, but devolves into "sexified lovesick healer" by the end of the story. There's also a scene in Valkyria Chronicles 4 where a male character grabs a female character's a** and comments on how tight is is. This isn't treated as problematic or harassment; it's just meant to convey "man, her butt is really nice," and then move on.

None of this is explicitly saying "women are objects," but it normalizes the idea that a woman's physical attractiveness matters more than anything else, or that women are inherently inferior in some way.

Avatar image for farleyslundgren
#37 Posted by FarleysLundgren (117 posts) -

This is personally one of the reasons I’ve gotten away from anime and JRPGs as I’ve gotten older. As a teenager I was obsessed with it, and the sexualization was not a concern, but now Im having a hard time ignoring it all. It just irks me, if not just because it often comes across as lazy and pandering.

#38 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8647 posts) -

Unfortunately, I think dumb tropes and occasionally dubious portrayals of women are usually part of the package with JRPGs and anime-influenced stuff in general. I'm pretty desensitized to a lot of that nonsense, with all but the most egregious fanservice or characterization getting an eye roll or snarky comment at most, but I won't condemn anyone for finding it off-putting. Don't feel bad if that is a deal-breaker for you.

Hell, even by my own skewed standards, I think Pyra's character design in Xenoblade 2 is pretty embarrassing. It's a pity, because I liked what I saw of that game's story from occasionally watching a roommate play it, but if you aren't tolerant of a fairly horny brand of anime-ass anime it's going to be rough going in parts.

This lines up pretty much with my thoughts too. I'm a big fan of traditional JRPGs and find the fan-service distasteful. I think it's fine to enjoy something and recognize it's fundamentally flawed, but if it really does affect the OP that much, there are tons of other great genres and games out there to play right now, so I wouldn't feel the slightest bit guilty about leaving one that draws such a strong reaction behind.

#39 Posted by poobumbutt (937 posts) -

@efesell: Yeah, rereading the last sentence, he does pretty much ask that, huh? I guess it's in my nature to (naively?) want to propose a solution. I guess I skipped over it in haste. My bad.

And yeah, I get that it IS, in fact, the norm. I wasn't necessarily surprised by Pyra, except possibly by the aforementioned amount that her costume does NOT fit her character. Again, it's probably in my nature to want to say in cases like this "yeah, it is the norm, and I think that sucks" and focus much more on the latter than the former.

#40 Posted by development (3140 posts) -

As someone who has looked to get into one of these recent good JRPGs, this has been the thing that's kept me from trying them out. I see coverage of them and it's just absurd to too-high a degree; like the developers are 100% out of touch with modern society. I realize the reality is they're 100% in-touch with their fanbase, but that's not going to get people like me into their games. Only JRPG of late I've almost bought is Ni-No Kuni 2. (Just haven't bought it because I'm trying to save money and it's still $60).

#41 Posted by BisonHero (11532 posts) -

Does anyone have JRPGs to suggest to OP that have the game mechanics they enjoy, but are light on sexism? The games with Toriyama art come to mind; Chrono Trigger is inoffensive, the Dragon Quest character designs have always looked reasonable to me though I can't say how the characters are treated within the games.

What other games don't lean super hard into fan service but still have good JRPG stuff going on?

#43 Edited by Epidehl (667 posts) -

@bisonhero: My gut reaction would be Persona. I think the worst 5 has its the swimsuits, but I think you need to download those anyway. All the female characters in it are good characters (if not the best).

There's also Tales of Zestiria (Berseria is a little more questionable with it's protag design). I can't think of anything bad in that game off-hand, and character and combat-wise I'd put it as one of my favorite Tales games.

I'm typically a pretty big JRPG and anime guy, that's also sort of sensitive to this stuff, so I wasn't really sure what OP was talking about, but I guess I've just avoided the worst of it not having a switch. Like, Xenoblade 1 and X were both not even close to as bad as it seems 2 is.

Edit: Realized this may be specifically referring to switch games, which sadly I can't help with. They are out there though.

#44 Posted by BongChilla (353 posts) -

I rather like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but I agree with most of the sentiment of this thread in that the female blades outfits are gross. It is a negative mark in a pretty great game in my opinion. I can totally see if you cannot look passed those designs than you should pick something else.

Now I have not played any of Octopath but from what I am reading about that one story arc it seems like its in service to the plot for that particular character and its not there to make horny teenagers all giddy. Also from what I have heard is that game is pretty great and that stuff is mostly limited to that one arc. Since its 1/8th of that game maybe watch a play through of that chapter on YouTube and see if its too much for you.

#45 Posted by Efesell (4060 posts) -

@bisonhero: I guess it’s a matter of degrees but Dragon Quest still has things like the Sex Appeal ability trees which are all attacks based around what it sounds like. Plus all sorts of revealing costumes for characters that really would never have them. It seems more troubling if less in your face when your stoic female martial artist just also has all the “sexy” moves because she is also very attractive.

#46 Edited by acharlie1377 (61 posts) -

@epidehl: Have you played/how did you like Disgaea 5? This isn't really about sexism anymore, I'm just worried it might be too deep and complex for a relative newcomer to the genre; if it was hugely problematic that would also be an issue, but from what I've seen it doesn't look too bad.

I really, really wish Persona 5 was on Switch; I think the developer has gone on record saying it won't, and there's no reason to think it ever would, but DON'T CRUSH MY DREAMS, PLEASE.

#47 Edited by Epidehl (667 posts) -

@acharlie1377: Sadly Disgaea is out of my wheelhouse, kind of for the reasons you mentioned. Though it's worth noting that as a Tactical RPG, it's pretty different than most JRPGs. The best I can say is that I've heard those games have gotten progressively friendlier as they've gone on, and that 5 isn't too bad in that regard. I believe they made so that you don't really need to engage in a lot of the weird/complicated stuff (like the infamous weapon worlds) in order to just like, do the story. Can't say first hand though.

Yeah, P5 isn't super likely (probably), but there is gonna be a mainline SMT, so there's that? I would kill for Tokyo Mirage Sessions to get ported. I ADORE that game and nobody played it because it was on the WiI U. It's basically a Persona game, but with Fire Emblem mixed in.

#48 Posted by GrayFox666 (147 posts) -

@doctordonkey: Completely agree, Japan is culturally different and trying to hold Japanese games to American standards is absurd.

#49 Edited by Crommi (397 posts) -
@df said:
- You know all those popular RPG card battle/idol raising mobile game from Japan, aren't those literally "objectification of characters"? Where you literally "collect characters" and they all have "rareness" like loots.

What makes those different to collectible Hockey, Football and Baseball cards, they are literally objectifying real people but no-one seems to have problem with those.

#50 Posted by acharlie1377 (61 posts) -

@grayfox666: I'm not trying to enforce my culture on the entire population of Japan, I'm criticizing the way the developers of these games portray women. I think it's insulting to assume this is how an entire country views half the world population, then justify that by saying it's just a cultural thing.