Shooter Recommendation

Volitanske

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm looking for a game like CoD that has more progression/variety in the multiplayer. I really enjoy Modern Warfare and have all the previous CoD games, but I'm finding the MW multiplayer and Warzone too repetitive. I also tried Destiny and it was too MMO-ish for me as I don't have a lot of time for longer sessions thus making it feel repetitive on the opposite end of the spectrum as I ended up doing small grind sessions pretty much only. I know that is a very specific niche, but does anyone have any ideas? I'm on PS4.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Maybe Battlefield? Or Battlefront 2 is coming to PS+ next month so maybe give that a shot.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3 rorie  Staff

Division 2 is pretty great if you're in the mood for some co-op!

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rainbow Six Siege the best FPS multiplayer game.

Volitanske

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll try out Siege and Div 2, thanks!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 14

@volitanske: seems like Apex is a logical thing to try since it has similarly twitch based shooting but it will be a whole new thing - also it’s free.

Volitanske

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Division 2 ended up being exactly what I was looking for! I got it for $9 and bought the expansion yesterday after finishing the main campaign.

I have no idea how some of the endgame works still, but I figure I have some time. It's a good fit of setting, shooting feel and lighter mmo bits since I cannot commit many hours a week to it. Thanks for pointing me at it!

LUBRICATE_ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably a battlefield. It is arcadey like a call of duty and matches can feel like you are doing your own objectives with your squad in a larger battle which you will accomplish differently based off of what class/guns/equipment you are running. There is lots of stuff to unlock per class and gun similar to cod.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be the one to suggest a niche game, but Hunt: Showdown is fantastic. Lots of weapon variety, lots of variety in how you encounter players, from everything from fighting at a well defended building to wild chases through thick cornfields that block your visibility. It's got that Battle Royale thing of not knowing when or where fights will happen on a big open map, with fights outside needing the map knowledge and terrain use of a BR while fights inside buildings take an almost Rainbow Six Siege quality. AI bosses exist to focus the pvp, they're the goal and smaller AI mostly exists as sound traps to let you know when players are moving around. Low player count, slower gameplay (it's not nonstop action), and all the guns are old and slow (revolvers, single shot rifles, that sort of thing) but that actually makes it feel perfect with how lethal everything is, no spraying for lucky headshots with old guns. You can still absolutely play fast and aggro if you have the right guns and hit your shots though. Hell even full melee can be viable.

Also, I alluded to it before, it's got perfect audio design. If you've ever complained about footstep audio or not hearing people in other games, Hunt is designed around it's audio. Unless someone's moving very slow and carefully, you can usually figure out exactly where they are through audio alone.

NexivSelecaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Basically whatever the newest Battlefield or Battlefront games is.

Intradictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brackstone: I've wanted to give Hunt a try for a while now, but I don't have a anyone to play it with. Is it worth giving a shot if you're flying solo?

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@intradictus: There is a quickplay mode only for solos but it's definitely a side mode, fun in it's own right but not really the meat of the game. Quickplay basically a combo of BR looting plus a sort of king of the kill/Halo Oddball thing. The main mode, bounty hunt, you bring in a loadout of your choosing and have to kill bosses and get out with their body, but of course other players are trying to do the same. You can play bounty hunt as a solo, against duos, and because of the low time to kill, you can still do well if you play smart and little bit slower.

That said, I think the game is best with other people. There is matchmaking, but there's also an official hunt discord that you'll definitely be able to find people on, and I'd recommend hitting that first. I've got a regular crew of people to play it with, and I met them through the discord.

Intradictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brackstone: Awesome, thanks, it's been a game that's hung around on the edge of my games to check out list but without a lot of free time I have trouble making time for multiplayer/finding a group for it.

But the fact that there's a good discord definitely bumps it up to something I could actually get into

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 40

Personally, I still think that Battlefield 4 is incredibly fun. Probably my favorite shooter of this generation after Titanfall 2.