Should all games on Ranking of fighters have everything unlocked for fair assessment of games at their best.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should all games on Ranking of fighters have everything unlocked for fair assessment of games at their best. (70 votes)

NO 27%
YES 27%
I DONT CARE 54%
OTHER 3%

I was thinking ranking of fighters, even if its mostly taken for fun, should still rank games with some baseline of everything being unlocked if feasible with a code, or memory card data. (fans could send in data). Particularly worried games like Power Stone 2 (if it even gets ranked since it may be under the rug for comparisons to Smash bros and not being a serious fighter) will get shat on since the realistic representation of why people like that game is from +100 weapons unlocked and 4 players teaming or vs. A bunch of new people will play it, see the simple controls, scuff at it for being easy, rush the stones, say stones are unbalanced, etc. Though I never saw a youtube play the game and quickly pronounce it as trash for said gameplay misconceptions.

I saw a ton of comments that some games are better with more characters unlocked and some know-how of the basics. Games like Marvel vs Capcom, or street fighter get a leg up with characters unlocked from day one and tons of nostalgia and button memory for those general game types. I know it's not important but I can see/do see this list used for discussions and comparisons on other sites. If it continues and there are about 300 games, I could see it being important under the banner of an official gaming press/influencer/entertainment site. "not sure what this site is falling under these days ha"

• 
krelmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Understanding that Ranking of Fighters is by definition silly and not meant to be taken too seriously is part of the bit. I’ve always wondered if this was widely understood and so I look forward too the results of your poll. Unfortunately a lot of the games played on RoF don’t have easy codes to unlock extra characters and grinding out unlocks prior to playing is not in the spirit of the show. They have made a effort when it is easy to due so of using a quick code or two to unlock a boss character or something but not much beyond that.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I can see/do see this list used for discussions and comparisons on other sites

These people are doing it wrong.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really only makes a difference if Ten Count happens to be unlockable. Otherwise it's not going to change anything anyway.

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris said:

This really only makes a difference if Ten Count happens to be unlockable. Otherwise it's not going to change anything anyway.

What if Warren is unlockable

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doombot13: I'd say Warren is the definition of unlocked

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweetz

"Fair assessment" doesn't matter as the actual ranking is a joke and it's just a fun series to look at fighting games. However, having everything unlocked does make the games more interesting and entertaining to watch, so to that end: yes, if it's reasonably easy for them to use cheat codes or save files to unlock everything, they should.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@krelmoon said:

Understanding that Ranking of Fighters is by definition silly and not meant to be taken too seriously is part of the bit.

Hey ! Respect science...

Seriously now... sure. But only if unlocking everything is easily attainable, and leads to a lot more options/shenanigans. If it is only extra costumes or an extra character, who cares?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't alter the scientific process. They'd have to re-rank everything!

More seriously...

It doesn't really matter? In many cases it might be cool because the games are better with more stuff unlocked, but they are really just dipping into these games for a short spurt to get an idea for what they're like, and for the vast majority of games unlocking some additional characters or other stuff won't make a big difference.

I'd say if there's an easy unlock code or downloadable save there's no good reason not to use it, but it's not like they shouldn't do a game they want to do just because they can't unlock everything. It's just not that serious, and it's clear that they don't even know how to properly play a fair number of the games, so it's not like the rankings aren't already compromised.

It's more like "Ranking of Fighters Based on Messing With Them For About An Hour With Little to No Prep" but that's not nearly as pithy a title.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Science unlocks things through starting fresh and approaching the experiment with a clean slate. Therefore I voted "Yes," Coupled with a tentative, "I don't care."

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES

I DON'T CARE

Perfectly sums it up, just keep the science going.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben unlocked Fred Durst in Fight Club. What more do you want from the man?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By FLStyle

By that sentiment you could also say that Jeff, Jason and Ben should get good at fighting games, therefore playing them as intended by their developers instead of mashing quarter circles for one character at a time & seeing what move comes out.

Ranking of Fighters isn't perfect, but It doesn't really need changing.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I voted yes. But that's predominantly because I want to subject science intern Ben to the horrors of unlocking everything in some truly awful games. Bwahahahaha

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Hardly any game where it really matters or adds that much.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I like how I DON'T CARE is winning by such a wide margin. It gives me hope.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The more rules, the less episodes.