Should Giant Bomb still post trailers?

• 52 results
coribald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should Giant Bomb still post trailers? (241 votes)

Yes, as many as they do now 42%
Yes, but not as many 7%
Maybe, they don't bother me 27%
No, they fill up the front page too much 24%

It seems to be the last remant of a normal "video game site", and in my opinion doesn't really fit with the direction of the site anymore. Maybe they could for big releases that they know everyone in the community cares about, but do we really need the feed flooded with 3 or 4 trailers a day, that most people won't even watch?

• 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

It doesn't really detract from anything. Assuming their tools are the same as they were when I interned there, it doesn't take any time to post a trailer. There's no real blanket rule like, "X many trailers a day". But if it's something that this community would be into, why not? So long as the staff never get "trailer happy".

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I don't think they post nearly as many trailers as a lot of other gaming websites out there, and it's not really enough to bother me all that much.

Regardless of how you feel about it though, the bottom line is that trailers and news articles get views, and views are what keep a website in business. It's a necessary evil.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

If you want content, you can just look at the content. I like having the trailers because most places put them up in shit players like Gametrailers and Gamespot and places like Gamersyde can miss stuff. It's not getting in the way and a lot of people like having to only go to one place to get their video game media fill.

kre8havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By kre8havoc

I watch one from time to time. I am assuming most people do the same. No problem in trailers.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By FLStyle

Posting trailers is useful for games that fit the style of Giant Bomb, I trust them to pick and choose which trailers they want on the site.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Eh it's fine, plus I enjoy the little captions they write

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By MachoFantastico

@flstyle said:

Posting trailers is useful for games that fit the style of Giant Bomb, I trust them to pick and choose which trailers they want on the site.

This, which they already do.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't watch trailers, so I don't care really.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@flstyle said:

This, which they already do.

so everyone wins yaaay

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clonedzero

Yes, why wouldnt they?

Granted the comments on every damn trailer typically ends up a bunch of douche bags going "this game is not good enough for my clearly superior tastes! *snort*" "another shooter? *scoff!*" It's pretty gross actually.

Also, if giantbomb didn't post them, i probably wouldn't see most of them.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By gamer_152

@chaser324 said:

Regardless of how you feel about it though, the bottom line is that trailers and news articles get views, and views are what keep a website in business. It's a necessary evil.

I don't even think it's an evil, even if you don't care for the trailers it's hard to call them any more than inoffensive, and sometimes when you are on the site it's just easy and convenient to click over to a trailer or two you're interested in. I must also disagree with coribald that this is the last remnant of a normal video game site we have here. There are still reviews and news here, and while I think there are problems with the way a lot of video game sites out there are doing stuff, there's nothing wrong with a lot of the things that are traditionally done by a lot of game sites.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't mind it when they post trailers, I just wish they'd throw them up earlier.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

If they want. I guess they should do what ever they want. Honestly I never watch any trailers on this site, but other people might, and they are still a gaming website so... probably yes?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

I don't watch trailers and do not care.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This site is be no means the definitive source for these things, but I'd like to keep seeing the post. If anything it keeps the scroll on the main page moving along so I that there's activity during slow spots.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16 chaser324  Moderator

@gamer_152 said:

I don't even think it's an evil, even if you don't care for the trailers it's hard to call them any more than inoffensive

I agree with that sentiment. When I said "evil", I think I misspoke a bit.

The point I was trying to get across was that there's nothing wrong with a reasonable number of trailers, and those quick and easy page views help support the site so that the staff can do things like spend four hours locked in a recording studio to make a free podcast.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not bothered by it either way, I don't come here for trailers and even when I do want to watch them I usually go on Youtube instead.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#18  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Most trailers come with a snarky aside from Alex, so I don't mind them.

Chances are with a lot of them (like Pandora's Tower, sniff) the trailer will be the only acknowledgement Giant Bomb gives them. Trailers benefit Giant Bomb more in its role as an information source about video games than as the home of goofy personality-based video content - if the crew don't create any videos specifically for that game than at least there's a trailer to go in that game's page's video section. It's usually not laugh-a-minute material or even an objective information source, but it's something.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trailers are the only place I can get at an almost daily dose of Alex's snark (other than twitter) DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What's wrong with trailers? A glimpse of what is in a game in video format. IT'S THE FUCKING WORST AND DUMB.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By crusader8463

I would like to see a weekly show where they sit down to watch the trailers and maybe comment on their opinions of what they saw or how they feel about a game. Like what they did for the GTA V trailers but for more than one game. Obviously only when there are enough in a week to warrant a 20-30 min show at least.

As for trailers as they are now, I would like to see it modified so that it doesn't push actual content from the site off the front page. Maybe make a little window in some of the dead space on the sides that just has a rotating list of trailers for games listed there so people can click on them,if they want. If they did that, I wouldn't mind seeing even more come out. I hate when I want to find info on a new game and go to its wiki page only to find no video of it and then needing to open a new tab to google it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I just ignore them for the most part.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By zeushbien

Trailers are the only place I can get at an almost daily dose of Alex's snark (other than twitter) DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME.

What about news?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More content is alway better especially content that takes minimal effort to put up.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twinsun said:

@oscar__explosion said:

What about news?

Most of the time I gloss over GB news because I have an RSS feed with several different websites and a lot of the time they all have the same story.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be catalogued under the game's media section but needs no further commentary. We really don't need copy + paste commentary for these things.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it generate page views that help the site make money/justify to CBS business people that they should keep funding them to do dumb stuff? I would assume thats why they do it

Does it bother me in any form? No

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes they should. I like watching trailers to get a general sense of whats coming, and giant bomb posting them here means I usually don't have to trudge on over to any other gaming sites.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think that Giant Bomb should really "transcend" being a video game website because at the end of the day they will always be a video game website. Not showing trailers anymore wouldn't change that.

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least premium users shouldn't see the trailers. I mean that's partly what premium is for. If they think something is cool just stick that into worth reading at the end of the week or something.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Iodine

@regal said:

At least premium users shouldn't see the trailers. I mean that's partly what premium is for. If they think something is cool just stick that into worth reading at the end of the week or something.

Huh? Being a premium member means I should not be able to see content?

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have to disagree because at the end of the day they add content to keep us on the site. Having the quick looks and other videos not helping everyday things can get pretty slow here when nothing is happening and when lacking other features. So i say why take it away when it will only make people go elsewhere to find it.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to watch trailers. I like Giant Bomb. Why would I want to go to other sites to have to watch trailers? Or as a better question, why would Giant Bomb want me to leave their site and go somewhere else? Good sites don't want to purposely loose traffic. Also, sometimes content dries up and they need the trailers...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I just wish they would put them in a different front page feed.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikkaQ

I generally don't watch trailers, movies games or otherwise so it doesn't bother me either way. On one hand, I don't get as hyped up for stuff as most people, but at least everything comes off as surprising to me when I do get my hands on the product.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By THRICE_604

They should there is nothing wrong with coming to GB for trailers, its up to the marketing departments at publishers that need to cool it down. When Bioshock Infinite had a new trailer every week there for awhile Giant Bomb did it right by having derisive and chiding remarks in the strap lines pointing out the ridiculousness of posting yet another trailer days after the previous one.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Yep. I think they should post more than they do now.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with them; I just wish they wouldn't push real articles and videos off the front page. They should have their own section.

I mean, do people really look at the Twitter feed? That seems like fine real estate for a small trailers section.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Clonedzero

I'm fine with them; I just wish they wouldn't push real articles and videos off the front page. They should have their own section.

I mean, do people really look at the Twitter feed? That seems like fine real estate for a small trailers section.

Dude how else am i supposed to see Ryan complain about pointless shit?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Nah, I almost never watch the trailers for things and if I'm really interested in seeing a trailer I'll hit up Youtube for it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Of course, why not?

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they didnt post trailers then their non-sub video content would drop by like 50%, and if they stopped posting articles then non-subs would only be getting about 20% of the content we get now. Couldnt let that happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Should trailers talk?

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Fearbeard

I don't see any reason why they should stop. Though if they took a stand and refused to air trailers without gameplay footage I would be pretty happy.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there was an option to tailor the front page here, I'd likely not have trailers on it.

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh it's fine, plus I enjoy the little captions they write

This!

If it wasn't for their captions I don't think they would even have the trailers in the first place.

Soviet666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Soviet666

Never watched a single trailer on GB, but they don't bother me since I'm always visiting content straight through RSS feeds.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If they went away I wouldn't miss them but I do enjoy Alex's comments sometimes.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShaggE

I rarely watch them, but I always read and enjoy Alex's one-liners on each one. I swear that man absorbs all of Ryan and Jeff's excess cynicism and projects it into pure comedy.