Should I buy the HD version of Resident Evil 4, community?

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jamakan_Inc

Hey guys, so I'm seriously considering getting this. I don't own any other copies of it (well, technically my girlfriend has the Wii version, which is good,) but I'd rather play it with a 360 controller. Is the HD port really that bad? Does it handle like RE5 on the 360? What say you, community? WHAT SAY YOU? Also, thanks in advance for your time, I know these arent exactly the most interesting threads.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

i didn't think it was that bad at all. there are some seriously messed up textures, but it's fine apart from that. i bought it and it was good for a revisit. i haven't really played it after i beat it, though. they've mapped the shoot/action button from A to X so it plays more like the RE4 control scheme from RE5.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob

Its a good port, just a lazy one. Get it. I didn't regret it. Loading a nice clean looking version from my XBox dashboard is way better than having to dust off my Wii to play a version that looks like muddy shit. I would also argue that the Wii controls make the game way, way too easy.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By morningstar

I loved it, even though the controls took some getting used to. Its one of my all time favorite games though, so Im probably biased :P (game got 1000 achievement points too if thats your thing)

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jamakan_Inc

Sounds pretty tempting, it's the controls that sound the most worrying. The A button to shoot? Sounds a little loony, so it doesn't play exactly like RE5? Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By DeF

You know you can play the Wii version with a Gamecube controller, if that's your main gripe.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Deranged

It's still Resident Evil 4, it's just not really HD perse.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By beargirl1

@Jamakan_Inc said:

Sounds pretty tempting, it's the controls that sound the most worrying. The A button to shoot? Sounds a little loony, so it doesn't play exactly like RE5? Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do?

nonono, it used to be the A button. now it's the X button. it's like the RE4 control scheme in RE5. apart from that, it controls the same as RE4 always did, if that worries you.

i wouldn't know how difficult it is to go back to RE4 controls from RE5 since i used the RE4 control scheme, but i reckon it doesn't take that long to get back into it.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Rafaelfc

I got it on a whim, and do not regret it, still a great game and this HD version is pretty damn good.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

@Jamakan_Inc said:

Trust me, once you get used to it (took me about fifteen minutes) it doesn't feel wrong at all. In fact, it feels pretty good.

I do wish that they had added an unlockable cheat or something that allows you to move and shoot, though. Maybe as a reward for beating the game? Would have been fun to see how much the game changes with that ability though.

@MysteriousBob said:

I would also argue that the Wii controls make the game way, way too easy.

Ever played the Wii version? (shivers). Maybe it was just me, but I had a hard time getting used to them. It felt seriously messed up. I switched to a Gamecube controller pretty fast.

Cody218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cody218

There are two control options, one being similar to RE4 where you use the X button to shoot as people have already said, and the other uses the left trigger to pull up the gun and the right trigger to shoot just like RE5, which is the option I would recommend.

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jamakan_Inc

@DeF said:

You know you can play the Wii version with a Gamecube controller, if that's your main gripe.

Never really cared for the gamecube controller, personally, and would have to dust off and set up the Wii.

@AjayRaz said:

@Jamakan_Inc said:

nonono, it used to be the A button. now it's the X button. it's like the RE4 control scheme in RE5. apart from that, it controls the same as RE4 always did, if that worries you.

i wouldn't know how difficult it is to go back to RE4 controls from RE5 since i used the RE4 control scheme, but i reckon it doesn't take that long to get back into it.

Ah, sorry, I misread you. Thanks though.

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jamakan_Inc

Well, I think, the response here pretty much speaks for itself. You guys have given me the push in the right direction, I shall take the plunge. I may even purchase it TODAY even, I'm feelin crazy, who knows what I'll do next?

Thanks guys, you all rock.

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy

Does the game have DRM? I don't know if Capcom fully abandoned that after the PSN outage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You don't need to move and shoot.  The game is designed from the ground up for the player to stop moving, aim and then run and get a better angle.  Otherwise, you know what it would be?  14 hours of running backwards while shooting, just like Borderlands.  Instead it's 14 hours of making the decision whether you should keep attacking or momentarily flee and get a better position.

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jamakan_Inc

@believer258 said:

@Jamakan_Inc said:

Trust me, once you get used to it (took me about fifteen minutes) it doesn't feel wrong at all. In fact, it feels pretty good.

Man, you were totally right. Well, I'm using the second control scheme, which uses the triggers. Using the left thumbstick to aim was really off putting at first, but I got used it it pretty quick. You forget how good this game is.