Should I finish XCOM or jump into Sleeping Dogs?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

I've just started building the Gallop Chamber, but I fast forwarded the month to see what I was in for and I have a terror mission and a battleship I'll have to down to get to it. I JUST finished my first battleship mission and wrapped up the last of my research stuff and it was a drag. It's a huge area, lots of enemies, and the way I play (keeping my team safe) it took me around 1 hour and 30 minutes to finish it up with only 1 person on a 3 day recovery. I'm crashing on the game hard, but I saw that the temple ship mission is basically a point of no return, but I don't know if there's more after that.

I make it a point not to have two games going at the same time and on the rare occasion it does happen it becomes difficult to pick up whatever game I left for the new game. I think it speaks a lot to the quality of a game when you can't put it down, but what about when you're just feeling that playing the game is a chore? I haven't really played it in the last couple of days. I finish my games, but the length of Sleeping Dogs has me worried that I might not end up finishing either in the two weeks I have left on my gamefly. Why gamefly? It's what I can afford.

Am I close enough to just finish those two last mission on XCOM and then do the temple ship or maybe just ignore those two mission and get right to end? I'm looking at Sleeping Dogs and it seems like a nice break. Not sure what to do.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bell_End

why not play some 'dogs and come back to XCOM a bit later.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Bummer that you can't play both duder. Give XCOM some time. That game is just as good in chunks as it is inone go. For you, probably better. So just go play some Sleeping Dogs.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Christoffer

Finish the fight. I felt the same way as you did by the end of X-COM. Because there wasn't anything new to explore and I already had my strategy laid out, it became a somewhat tedious race to the end. But all in all, it's worth finishing. I don't think you have much left.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin: Keep at XCOM. You can do it! Finish the fight!

MeatBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By MeatBoy

Go play some Sleeping Dogs. It's a great game in and of itself, not to mention that it's perfect as a break from XCOM when the strategizing gets to heavy. Just take some time to enjoy the great atmosphere and cool characters of SD in stead. I've done all that I feel like doing in that game (most side missions except for some grindy stuff), and I really hope they make some more quality story DLC.

I have only played XCOM for a few hours and I love it, but I plan on taking my time and playing it in smaller chunks. I think it will be more enjoyable that way.

Avatar image for midnightsandwich
midnightsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By midnightsandwich

Sleeping Dogs as it's far more enjoyable*

*in my opinion.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By crusader8463

If you are at the gallop chamber then finish xcom. Your literally at the end and can start the final mission whenever you want to end it.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By golguin
@crusader8463

If you are at the gallop chamber then finish xcom. Your literally at the end and can start the final mission whenever you want to end it.

So is that actually the final mission? My girl uses the chamber, can talk with the aliens, survives the temple ship mission and credits roll?
Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Winternet

Go to Sleeping Dogs and when you get yourself a break, play that last mission of XCOM.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Sleeping Dogs is more fun and a better story.

Ciffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ciffy
@golguin : Yes. That point of no return message is the final mission. I thought, like you did, that it was a sequence or something, but no, it's just one mission. Be warned though, it's a long 'un. You'll face at least one pod of each alien type (depending on your difficulty) and it's a little spread out and long, but it's only the one mission.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By crusader8463

@golguin: That's it. Once you activate it you will get a prompt saying "Are you sure you want to do this? There's no turning back." Then you do the final mission. Credits roll, you start a new game at a higher difficulty and see how long you can survive.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikeJFlick

play sleeping dogs, then come back to x-com after some DLC releases.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vikingdeath1

I'm currently in the process of playing XCOM & Sleeping dogs at the same time (as well as Spec Ops, Max Payne 3, Farcry 3, and Hitman) So I can't really relate to your situation, but if you would not be able to come back to XCOM after starting Sleeping Dogs.... I guess just start playing Sleeping Dogs? you've probably seen everything XCOM has to offer right? they're both awesome games!

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By theodacourt

Always be sleeping dogs.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By golguin

Finally beat the game. Kinda ended abruptly, but I was surprised that the stat screen showed that my average damage was only 6 and the world average was at like 20. My round average was 20 and the world was 10, but no one died so I win.

Time for Sleeping Dogs.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Anund

I'm assuming you weren't using snipers if your damage was that low, I'd say that is the only explanation!

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By Little_Socrates

@golguin said:

I think it speaks a lot to the quality of a game when you can't put it down, but what about when you're just feeling that playing the game is a chore?

Put it away for a while. I'm still under 30 hours into Skyrim and I still love that game because I never played it enough to make it a chore.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By fox01313

Xcom is a great game out this year but it can get quite intense/stressful. Take a break with sleepy dogs & try to have as much fun as Vinny was with the bulk of that quick look.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By golguin

@Anund said:

I'm assuming you weren't using snipers if your damage was that low, I'd say that is the only explanation!

I had a trio of snipers that were all girls. They were my angels of death. The thing is that I spent all my money on satellites and workshops so I never had money for weapons and armor. I didn't fully upgrade my equipment until like 5 missions before I beat the game. I literally used default weapons and equipment for the majority of the game and no one died and my team rarely took damage. It's the reason for my 20 turn average on missions. I went super slow and made sure to aggro only a couple of aliens and then the whole team focused fire on them. I found normal mode pretty easy and it would have been a complete breeze if I wasn't paranoid about my aircraft, satellites, and base building. All of my money was needlessly spent on preparing for a threat that never came.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BitterAlmond

XCOM will be done sooner than you think.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I think Sleeping Dogs is awesome and a great way to suck up some time. I haven't played XCOM but I hear it can be stressful so Sleeping Dogs would be a great game to take your mind of the game and it can be beaten in less than a week anyway so it's not like you will forget to play XCOM.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By musubi

Sleeping Dogs is way more fun.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Jimbo

I burned out on Sleeping Dogs before the end, but I enjoyed most of it. XCOM does get kinda samey, and it's not exactly a strong finish. Eh.