Should I get a Switch or a PS4 Pro?

• 59 results
Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Should I get a Switch or a PS4 Pro? (371 votes)

Nintendo Switch 40%
Playstation 4 Pro 60%

Right off the bat, I know this is very much an apples and oranges type question but I've been dancing around either side in my head but can't make up my mind.

Firstly, I play most of my serious games on my PC which is powerful so this is much more of about exclusives but obviously certain genres like driving or fighting games better suit a couch.

Pros for Switch:

*It is new and so at the start of whatever its support life will be so I can safely know it's going to have a lot of focus and games over the next few years.

*Zelda is very very good apparently. I haven't played a Zelda since Wind Waker which I loved to death.

*It is more naturally set up for casual local multiplayer and co-op than the PS4 is. This is a big deal as it'd be much more accessible for my partner who like many people played a lot of the 64 era and dropped off more modern games. Stuff like Mario Kart and Snipper Clips is already delivering on this promise.

*It is a lot cheaper than a PS4 Pro

*It is less likely to get any hardware spec (ie. more graphics etc) revisions down the line since that is not really how Nintendo rolls.

Cons for Switch:

*Some hardware issues present (easily scratched screen, de-syncing controllers, warping housing) and these might be addressed down the line and buying one now might mean missing out on any fixed up versions.

*No backlog. This isn't really it's fault but it is just now it is.

*Christ those controllers look tiny. I am so sure I will break them eventually.

Pros for the PS4 Pro:

*Maximum graphics on the new games.

*Huge exclusives backlog that I am interested in (Bloodborne, Uncharted etc)

*More games upcoming that I am interested in than Switch

*Much more of a multiuse machine for netflix/bluray playback etc, although I already use my ps3 for that with no real fuss.

Cons for the PS4 Pro:

*Super fucking expensive in my region

*All the games I would want are complex (by comparison) singleplayer games, which my partner wouldn't be interested in, really.

*Uncertain future. I mean Is this the first of many revisions or just a halfstep for the PS5 or is this going to be the supported platform for another 5 years. It's real tough to tell.

So there you have it. Sorry to bore you with my capitalistic dilemma but I'm hoping anyone could weigh in and help me commit.

And if you vote please let me know why! That's much more valuable to me than just one number being higher than the other.

• 
Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, trying to edit to make it look nicer but just getting "woops" errors.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If it's about exclusives then get the system with the ones you want most, if you're a big nintendo fan then get the switch as first party exclusives is pretty much all nintendo does.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: It's a mix between exclusives but also having a console for more than just me. That's part of the toss up.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TopCat88

If your PC can already handle the multi platform stuff then it really comes down to exclusives. Also, if you're in a family or a shared house of some kind they may sway you based on what they're more likely to play with you. PCs can be isolating in a group without the right setup. I usually sit at a desk, but when the gf comes over I switch it to the TV for games or YouTube/movies. I'm on my pc a lot because I don't have regular TV coming into my house.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Has your partner expressed a lot of interest in playing games with you? If so, then probably the Switch. You've got the PC for your complex single player games and the PS3 for Netflix and stuff.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I can only really speak from the perspective of owning a PS4, but man, I have really loved that thing so far. I've been an "own all consoles" type for my entire adult life, but I actually just sold my XOne and haven't picked up a Switch yet because I feel like I have so much yet to play on the PS4. I just finished RE7 which I adored and now I'm on to Horizon which also seems excellent. There's a huge backlog of anything from NieR to Battlefield One, and you'll be able to get a lot of those at a reduced price. They even have experimental stuff like the PSVR. For my money, I certainly don't regret my PS4.

That said, I played a little Zelda at a friend's house and yeah, it seems truly next level.

In the end, I think you know more or less what you'll get with Nintendo, i.e. great first party stuff and (at least at first) some decently solid indie support. With the PS4, you get that backlog and that wider variety of games, even if only some of them will ever reach that "Nintendo" quality.

Avatar image for deactivated-987696
deactivated-987696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PS4 Pro no question if you have to choose one or the other.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who owns a Switch and didn't much care for Zelda, I would definitely say PS4, unless the portability of the Switch is something really important to you. I haven't felt the desire to turn the Switch on for about a month and a half now, and I don't think I will until Mario Odyssey comes out this holiday season. In the first place, I only bought it as a stopgap until Persona 5 was released anyway.

If you find you're dead set on a Switch, at the very least, I would say wait until after E3 to see what Nintendo announces for that thing, because right now, it's just Zelda, some not-so-great exclusives (my opinion, of course), and games that were released on other platforms (including PS4) years ago. Right now, there aren't any huge, mass market games being released for the Switch, but it's building a solid library of smaller or more niche titles. The PS4, on the other hand, has the advantage of being out for several years, so there's a larger library of quality, big budget exclusives for it. For me, it's an easy decision until E3 at the earliest.

I've had plenty of non-gamers watch me play stuff on PS4 and be interested in what was going on. Standouts include: Until Dawn, Resident Evil 7 (lights off, of course), Life is Strange, Dark Souls/Bloodborne. I'm sure there's plenty I'm forgetting. Plus Jackbox is on PS4, so if you guys are ever having a few people over, that's a great time as well. Overcooked is a great co-op game too, if your partner is interested in actually playing with you.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As you said it all comes down to exclusivity, so I would take a look at exclusives for both and decide based on that. At this point it comes down to game taste/preference, which no one can really decide but you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Get a Switch. Switch will have more exclusives in the long run.

Besides most 3rd party PlayStation games comes to PC.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i feel i've already built a somewhat big library on the switch despite there not being these huge ass AAAA titles on it. the machine is going to be an indie powerhouse i feel, and it's got a number of games already that work well in a pick up and play sense. it IS a lot of stuff available elsewhere, it's nice to have these games on a fairly robust portable system that you also happen to be able to play on your big screen.

i would argue that if you're looking for something to compliment the pc the switch just has something more unique on offer than the ps4, and it's getting there in terms of its own games. things like bloodborne, nioh, and horizon are great exclusives, but past that really you're just getting a ton of games you can play on the pc.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's the exclusives driving your purchase then get a PS4 right now, it doesn't have to be a Pro. You can pick up a Switch (as I intend to) in the future once there's more stuff to play on it.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can buy the PS4 pro and postpone your purchase for the switch, i'd go with that. This way you can sell your PS4 once the switch grows a neat backlog and buy the switch with its money.

HermanBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have both and would say if you have a good PC then I would chose the Switch. My PS4 hasn't been turned on since I got the Switch. But then I love Zelda, will be MarioKarting for weeks probably, and have a newborn so the machine is perfectly set up for my current gaming needs (five minute bursts here and there, the odd mp session with the other half when baby asleep). So I am probably their exact target market right now.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely get a PS4. It's an amazing system with an incredible library of games. I'm sure the Switch will get it's fair share of must-plays, but it's not quite there yet, and who knows when it will be.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Zurv

The Switch has one game.. that people love but runs like poo. (and imo is boring :) ) - I got the switch played about 5 hours of Zelda and most likely will never touch it again. The ps4 pro finally got to the level where quality is nice and most games will be 60fps at 1080p. The 4k is nice too even with fake 4k and 30 :(

Of course the right answer is the PC :) with MASSIVE and cheap catalog of games and even a modern cheap video card beats the ps4 pro for grafix.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never realized how much my life needed a hybrid console until somebody actually invented one. I'd vote Switch since you already have a PC.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's a tricky one, if you play most of your games PC, then I would say Switch, but... Sony have have had such a good run on exclusives, there is enough there to peak interest.

I'm a primary PC player too, and I got a switch recently, and I have to say the portable factor has been dope.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the long run the Switch might be the better console for you if you dig the typical Nintendo first party output.

I would suggest to wait till E3 to see how Nintendo positions the Switch and more important if they keep on supporting the 3DS beyond ports of switch games as this would cut into Switch games development support.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
deactivated-5a48350594a61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So unless you find yourself really caring about playing those Sony exclusives like The Last of Us,Uncharted, Horizon, Bloodborne, Hatsune Miku Project Diva, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, The Last Guardian, Ect. I would recommend a Switch. From the sounds of it you already have the access to a majority of games with your PC and with the Switch still being quite early after its release its proven there is a lot fun to be had with just Zelda, which gives me hope for the rest of the 1st party exclusives down the line. Plus portability factor is something to heavily consider if the indie support for it really takes off as well. Though I would recommend you wait to pick up more recent Switch just to avoid any launch model joy-con stuff.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to play Zelda and in 6 months Mario, get a switch.

If you want to play a variety of games, get a PS4.

It's not hard

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Buy neither...problem solved.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My usual solution to these dilemmas is this:

Flip a coin.

Heads for Zelda, tails for Bloodborne.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say get both, but then again I'm a sucker and buy them all... so you might not want to take my advice.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno about a Pro, but you should get a PS4 before you get a Switch. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Switch, but I'm using it as an auxiliary gaming experience right now. The PS4 library is very strong at this point.

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Switch.

I love when my partner and I find fun things to do together. And you already got the pc for yourself. Why he etc a second thing just foe you?

Thst being said, if her level of interest is low.. Well than flip a coin.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coin flipping was mentioned, but I remember reading that subconsciously, there's always one choice you prefer. So rather than looking at the coin to decide which one you want, think about which side of the coin you hoped would come up after you flipped it, and just go with that choice.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not voting because I can't tell you what to do, but I'll give you my thoughts.

It's tough to compare the two in terms of library size. One came out a month ago, while the other's been out for almost 5 years now, so of course the PS4's going to have a bigger library.

It really depends on what you want out of your next console.

If your main priority is a machine you and your partner can play together and have fun with, get a Switch. Nintendo is the king of couch co-op by far. Games like Mario Kart Wii and Mario Party 2 are still mainstays among my circle of friends and will likely be for years to come.

If you're more interested in a dedicated gaming machine for yourself, what kind of system do you want it to be? A #1 priority gaming machine or a companion to the PC? I'd say PS4 for a system you're going to be playing non-stop since it probably has more of what you're already playing and you've already expressed interest in their exclusives, and Switch if you want a companion system, since you'll have more unique experiences on that system while still having the mainstream on PC. Keep in mind that a lot of these recent games on PS4 have the same systems as the games you're already playing with different tweaks added to the formula rather than something entirely new (for example, I'm not interested in Horizon because I've already played Far Cry). This is especially important because a huge number of games with these systems come to PC already, so you already have a sneak peek at what you'll get in that regard. So are you ok with getting more of what you've got or do you want something new?

Also remember that even though the PS4 console is more expensive, the games themselves are going to be dropping in price much quicker than Switch games, since they're brand new and Nintendo games have a habit of not dropping in price for a while. Not sure if it's different in your region though.

I was struggling with this decision a while ago as well, and I decided on a Switch because despite owning a much larger number of games on the PS3, I've found myself playing almost exclusively Nintendo games for the last year and a half. They just have this unique feeling of fun and charm to them that I don't get anywhere else, and I've found that they bring me back and keep me playing much more often than the more mainstream releases, which feel pretty same-y to me. But that's just me.

So I guess the main question is: What do you want?

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Tough one. PS4 seems to have more going for it right now on it's own. But as an addition to a primary PC experience the Switch seems pretty compelling. Snipperclips is a great play-with-your-partner game. Zelda is game of the year for sure, and being able to play it away from the tv is pretty rad.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I would lean PS4, on grounds of Bloodborne and Persona 5 alone. Switch wouldn't be a bad shout, though, especially if your partner expresses an interest in Zelda, MK, Snipperclips. If the price difference is really striking, then perhaps that swings it.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am surprised that ps4 pro is leading votes but yeah I am using that as a coin flip. If I don't like the outcome I know which one I really want. I wont be making either purchase til July because of tax time so I have a lot of time to wait and see.

As for whether my partner would play with me they would. They are interested but just feel a bit left behind by modern games in that there is a lot of assumed knowledge.

Reasonance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently had to go through the same choice [I've got a nice PC i7 6700k with an 1060]

And I went with a PS4 Pro - Bloodborne, Yakuza 0 and soon Kiwami, probably Nioh and Horizon Zero Dawn seem like good enough reasons

Also, though this only applies in case of hopeless weakness against rhythm games, Miku Future Tone for the most complete version of project diva [and probably most playable thanks to no stupid scratch notes]

Switch is still a one game console IMO, and I am kinda afraid to invest in Nintendo ecosystem, as I prefer digital.

I actually plan getting Switch when Mario Odyssey comes out - before that it really look like one game machine.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: I mean if you're waiting until July already you might as well just wait for E3 to see if one console has anything that tips the scale.

If I was making this choice, the Switch has a bunch of hardware issues that will probably (hopefully) be fixed later on down the line in a revision, when the console will also have more games, and we'll also know if they're actually committing to getting their portable franchises on it or not. It sounds like a bad deal to me right now, but they could turn it around in time. The PS4 on the other hand, has a bunch of exclusives already, and whatever hardware issues it had at launch have been ironed out already.

Besides that though, what's the justification behind getting a PS4 Pro over a regular PS4 if you're just considering it for the exclusives? A Slim should be around the same price as a Switch, so I'd say it's a way better value proposition right now.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: If i got a ps4 it'd be a pro. I'm used to buying PC parts so I am happy to pay more for more 60 fps across the board.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#36  Edited By Eder

While there are a lot of exclusives as right now for the PS4 I voted for the Switch.

I'm in the same dilema. I want to play Uncharted 4, Nioh, Crash Remake, Bloodborne and a few more that I cant remember off the top of my head BUT...

Super. Mario. fucking. Odyssey. I just want to play that. Sorry PS4, quality over quantity. I know the game isn't out yet but that's why I will wait until that comes out for me to make a decision.

Edit: Also are you in Mexico? Because here both those damn consoles are way too expensive up the ass. Games themselves are fine but consoles are like x2 the price here.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eder: Australia. Land of the 80 USD retail price haha.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

@teddie: If i got a ps4 it'd be a pro. I'm used to buying PC parts so I am happy to pay more for more 60 fps across the board.

If a game's 30fps on standard PS4 it'll be 30fps on the Pro. I'm happy with mine but what it doesn't do is turn standard PS4 games into things with PC framerates. It'll stabilise inconsistent framerates, sure (Yakuza 0 is the latest one I've noticed), and give you nicer visuals on games which are patched, but that's it.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hayt

@dave_tacitus: Yeah I understand that. I used the wrong metric haha. I mean if I can have it look better without framerate loss that's also a good thing and I will always pay more for stability because I'm picky like that. Thanks for clarifying though.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

@dave_tacitus: Yeah I understand that. I used the wrong metric haha. I mean if I can have it look better without framerate loss that's also a good thing and I will always pay more for stability because I'm picky like that. Thanks for clarifying though.

Heh, I hear you. I'm primarily a PC gamer and bought a Pro (after already having a standard) for much the same reason.

PlayItHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 Pro, All the way. As of now, I can't think of a good Switch game other than Breath of the Wild.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sodapop7

Switch. Don't let a few exclusives at last coming out of the PS4 fool you. The pc can give you 95% of the experiences on the PS4 but I can't think of many games that feel like a Nintendo game on any other platform.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yet, games like Snake Pass would love to argue the framerate with you.

@hayt said:

If a game's 30fps on standard PS4 it'll be 30fps on the Pro. I'm happy with mine but what it doesn't do is turn standard PS4 games into things with PC framerates. It'll stabilise inconsistent framerates, sure (Yakuza 0 is the latest one I've noticed), and give you nicer visuals on games which are patched, but that's it.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retrometal: Yep, some games are frustratingly poor. Nier's got the same problem with stutters even with added horsepower, probably because the power gets neutralised by the upped rendering resolution.

SkinnerSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodapop7 said:

The pc can give you 95% of the experiences on the PS4

No, that is a straight out lie.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

@hayt: Holy crap thats expensive!

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By maxszy

So I recently had a similar decision and I went with a PS4. I am thrilled with my decision.

I play most of my games on a PC as well. I got the PS4 to play Horizon and the backlog of stuff I haven't played on it. Horizon has been incredible and I'd argue, worth it just for that if you were already considering getting a PS4.

Go with the PlayStation, I think at this point and for awhile you will get much more playing time out of it and get to experience a bunch of great stuff.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodapop7 said:

The pc can give you 95% of the experiences on the PS4

No, that is a straight out lie.

95% is batting too high, but the notion isn't extremely farfetched. Instead of Uncharted, you have the recent Tomb Raider games. Instead of Gran Turismo and Drive Club, you have Forza, Project CARS, iRacing and so on. Bloodborne and Nioh, Dark Souls. Killzone, Crysis. Persona, Tales.

I'm well aware that I'm painting broad strokes with my comparisons that will make a few people recoil and cringe (especially with that last one). I mean, I'm pretty sure we've all seen and may have taken part in the Prototype versus inFamous comparisons back in 09 and know that those games aren't exactly like one another, same for the Killzone versus Halo comparisons back in 04. And I can't think of any games on other systems that are extremely similar to The Last of Us or Ratchet & Clank, which more or less makes them the unique experiences on PlayStation, along with others that aren't coming to mind at the moment. But every game's nuances and minutia aside, there is something to looking at the qualities in some PlayStation/console exclusives and seeing them in games on other platforms of which can be just as entertaining.

clockwork5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're asking for advice about a decision you're going to make in July?

SkinnerSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers