Should I put my Gamertag on my business card?

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By dantebk

I'm going to print some business cards at Staples before I go to E3 next week, and I'm wondering if I should include my Gamertag.

Like so:

(Phone #)
(e-mail address)
Xbox GT: DanteBK

or some such

Thoughts?  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Is it weird to have just my Xbox Gamertag and not my PSN ID or Wii Friend Code?  What's the best way to abbreviate Xbox Gamertag? 

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By dethfish

yes

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Nick

I abbreviate it as "XBL tag: " - Xbox live tag

pandemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By pandemic

It really depends on what business you're in, and why you're handing out the cards.  If it's at all gaming related, and I'm sure it is if you're handing them out at e3, then yeah, sounds fine to me.  Don't worry about psn/wii stuff--just because you prefer xboxlive doesn't mean you're trying to push an agenda or anything.  I think people will get that.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By wrecks

Seeing as you are a part-time writer for gaming website.... yes!

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I think it would be perfectly fine. You are in the gaming industry man. :)

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7  Edited By DrRandle

Honestly, there's a couple things to consider. If you plan on ever giving your card to people outside the industry for whatever reason, I might think against it for the sake of not wanting to be "too immature," (assuming of course that most other people in the world are ignorant and/or prudes.) Also, do you really want random friend invites from people? LIke.. You could give it to some PR person who turns out to be really stupid or angry or just plain obnoxious... and if you delete them off your friends list, you run the risk of upsetting their tiny cosmos and thus putting you in a bad light with them. If you're looking to be a professional journalist type, that might not be something you want.

Those are just my thoughts though. Also, Wrecks, you have one of the best icons I've ever seen.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Hamst3r

Your business card should simply be your gamercard printed out with your phone number scribbled out on the back.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By rjpelonia

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By flaminghobo

Go for it man.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

Pardon my french,but that would be FUCKIN AWESOME! The only thing that would be more awesome is if you were the CEO of some billion dollar company. You think Bill Gates has his gamertag on his business cards? lol.

Rotzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Rotzo

In some signatures, I append my social networking stuff, but for me it's really easy - twitter, last.fm, xbox live, giantbomb and everywhere is the same handle. I'm able to just put icons for each one and then the name.  Looks kinda classy!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

If you are only going to use the business card for making contacts with other people in the video game industry, then it's okay.  But, if you plan to hand it out to anyone else, then I think you should reconsider.  It might be a better idea to not have it on the front, and just pencil it onto the back if the person has an XBL account, too.  That flexibility would also open up the option of writing Wii friend codes or PSN IDs on the back, as well.   Additionally, a lot of people in the industry seem to have two accounts, a personal one and a business one to protect them from unknown intrusive gamers spamming game invites when they just want to play with their buds.

I find that in daily life, you tend to give your business card to all sorts of people, many who have no connection to your profession. While a lot of people who enjoy gaming may think it's cool, the greater number of the population will probably think it's juvenile.  And, then there is the problem of trying to explain what a gamer tag is to someone who doesn't know. 

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Just leave  out your Wii Friend code, it gives off pedo vibrations.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jNerd

I would go with XBL tag & could you put it on the back? Because it would look ridiculous and unprofessional on the front. What is your occupation?

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#16  Edited By TobyD81

Yeah, do it. It sounds like it would work since you're in the industry. I wish I could do the same...

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Death_Unicorn

YES!

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pibo47

DUDE YES!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks

Definitely, it's a good idea, but try to show a degree of separation on the card, to imply some formality also when needed.

Enjoy the event, and blog about it soon.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By MysteriousBob

If you work in games- Yes.

If you do anything else- Hell no. It would make you look remarkably unprofessional.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21  Edited By natetodamax
MysteriousBob said:
If you work in games- Yes.If you do anything else- Hell no. It would make you look remarkably unprofessional.

Jotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jotun

Even if you are working in the industry, I wouldn't advise putting it on there. I doubt that any employer would go through Xbox Live in order to contact a potential employee so it would look really silly to someone, I think.

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dantebk

Whoa!  That's a lot of responses.  Thank you everyone very much for your thoughts and advice!  I can always count on the Giant Bomb community when I'm in a quandary.

For the record, I'll only be using these cards for gaming-related stuff.  I certainly won't give someone a card with my Gamertag on it if I'm trying to get a job in Health Insurance or something.

@Nick

I like XBL.  I think I'm going to put just "XBL: DanteBK" without the "tag" though.  Thanks!

@pandemic

You're right.  I never take my PS3 or Wii online anyway, so that info wouldn't help anybody.

@DrRandle

You make some good points, but I think being called the N-word by a PR person is a worst-case-scenario I could live with.  

@Rotzo

Using different icons like you say sounds really neat, but the Business Card Wizard I'm using would make executing that a pain.  Cool idea though!

@PenguinDust

My card is also going to have the logo to the site I write for all over it, so anyone who would think my XBL tag is juvenile probably wouldn't get past the logo.

@Jotun

I'm not really job-hunting, since I'll be at E3 representing a site already.  Really the cards will be more for personal contacts and for professional contacts who are interested in working with my site.

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dantebk

I'm not sure what the rules are on this forum for linking to other websites, but a lot of you asked, so at this risk of being modded, I'll answer.

I'm a staff writer on www.adventuregamers.com.  We only cover adventure games, but I still have several appointments at E3 that I'll be covering for the site.  Despite rumors to the contrary, adventure games are NOT dead.  Typically I write about one review for them a month, since I also have a full-time office job and go to college part-time.  My most recent article on the site is a review of Wallace & Gromit Episode 2: The Last Resort.  If I'm allowed to do so, I'll update my Giant Bomb blog with links to my E3-related articles. 

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Systech

If you have a title in WoW, use that too.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Fallen189

If you're <15-Yes
>15-no

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#27  Edited By JackiJinx

In your line of business, it's not that unreasonable...though I can't see it as a primary contact point. That said, dude! I like Adventure Gamers.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Venatio

Yeah considering what you do its a very good idea

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheKidNixon

It really doesn't matter. Your business card is still crap.

Jotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jotun

In that context I guess it would make a bit more sense. But, in theory, you can just have all of your tags listed on your website with the same effect.

That's just my opinion though. I'm a minimalist when it comes to things like that so I would want to list as few things as possible.

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dantebk

No Caption Provided

Thanks for your help everybody!  I think they came out pretty good.