Should Scoops and the Wolf immediately have become Vindog and the Wolf?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Should Scoops and the Wolf immediately have become Vindog and the Wolf? (193 votes)

Yes 65%
No 35%

It sounds like Vinny doesn't want to commit to doing a podcast until their studio is finalized. I assume that's the same reason why GB East doesn't really put out video content other than a few Quick Looks each week. Presumably some more regular premium stuff will start once the studio is done.

That being said, I really didn't mind how lo-fi and amateur Scoops and the Wolf was. It gave Patrick and Alex a space to talk about recent games. It just seems crazy that Vinny hasn't been on a regular podcast thing for almost a year at this point, and I miss hearing Alex's thoughts on games and stuff. And even doing an hour or two a week would've been a nice little look into how Vinny and Alex are doing.

• 
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Im all for it. I would actually watch it this go around if it had Vinny involved.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It doesn't necessarily have to be Vinny and Alex, but I'd love to see some kind of replacement morning show.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Bombin' was its own thing. Let Vinny and Alex come up with their own spin on a podcast.

It'll be worth the wait.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bombin' the AM was legit, my favourite podcast for a good chunk of time. It was like the bombcast but two episodes a week! I'd love to get another version of that show on the air again.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny isn't a newsman and he's not really up to date on, well, anything.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: I was thinking the same thing. Alex and a guest would be great, they wouldn't have to do two shows if its difficult getting guests either. I could also just hear Alex rant. He does so anyway on twitter.

revolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V-Bomb and the Wolf would be the lunatic fringe of Giantbomb's many podcasts.

Peleus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would guess a GBEast podcast would really get going whenever they get that news person hired in NY.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rule of thumb on Giant Bomb: the more you make your pitch for a new feature sound like an old feature, the less likely it is that you will ever see that new feature.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10 said:

Rule of thumb on Giant Bomb: the more you make your pitch for a new feature sound like an old feature, the less likely it is that you will ever see that new feature.

Corollary: if nobody asks for a new feature that is suspiciously similar to an old feature, somehow that's the feature that will get made (also known as "The Rule of Unprofessional Fridays, which is definitely not at all kinda the same thing as Whiskey Media Happy Hour").

Also, all I'm really saying is "For the love of god, just do any sort of podcast with GB East, I know the two of you know how to do one."

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I feel like that was more Patrick's thing that he roped Alex into. Not to dismiss his part in that whole thing, but I'd prefer whatever Vinny and Alex do be something they create for themselves.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Everything I've heard about the studio sounds like it was a ton of work just to get things running without bursting into flames.

I'm all for a GBeast podcast but I don't mind waiting for them to get things straight before they do so. No need to just copy Scoops and the Wolf

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have liked Vinny and Alex to do something over Skype like Alex did with Patrick. Simply seeing something other than the same SF studio all the time was a nice change.

I understand everything takes time, especially in the corporate world, but we as fans spend more time waiting for everything to be set than everything being set. By the time East sets up, something else will happen.

I think Alex and Vinny make a good team, though. I look forward to their content more than anything else (unless it's MGS or something special).

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Vindog and the Wolf

A VinCo. Production

Hotspray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy a zoom recorder. Pop in 2 mics. Record a 30 minute podcast on whatever. Post it.

Done deal. No need for thousands of dollars of equipment, dedicated editing time, etc. Vinny is just such a natural talent and great personality, it's really just a shame he's not in more stuff.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

No. I feel like that was more Patrick's thing that he roped Alex into. Not to dismiss his part in that whole thing, but I'd prefer whatever Vinny and Alex do be something they create for themselves.

For sure, that's a good idea too.

But I think they could've done it by now. Even like a 50-80 minute podcast once a week could've served as an unofficial "How to Build a Bomb" for GB East. Instead it has been radio silence except for the random Quick Looks of (usually bad) Steam games that GB East specializes in. I know the situation is a little different now compared to the start of the site, in that instead of being in "fun startup!" mode they're in "CBS IT guys telling us what we can and cannot do on the Internet" mode, but still, a podcast seems like a low effort thing that they could've been doing for months now. Lord knows Patrick and Alex just rolled into Scoops and the Wolf some mornings with little to no preparation if they were having a busy week with Patrick news reporting or Alex game reviewin', and that was fine.

@hotspray said:

Buy a zoom recorder. Pop in 2 mics. Record a 30 minute podcast on whatever. Post it.

Done deal. No need for thousands of dollars of equipment, dedicated editing time, etc. Vinny is just such a natural talent and great personality, it's really just a shame he's not in more stuff.

See, like what this guy said.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

What ever happened to that guy that works in that video game store in New York!?!? Where the hell is he??

I want to see a video game trivia battle between him and Jeff. MAKE. IT. HAPPEN.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BisonHero

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow said:

What ever happened to that guy that works in that video game store in New York!?!? Where the hell is he??

I want to see a video game trivia battle between him and Jeff. MAKE. IT. HAPPEN.

Oh man, I forgot all about that video. I wish that video series of "How to Build a BEAST" hadn't immediately ended after like 2-3 videos.

For reference, How to Build a BEAST Ep 1 was June 20, 2014 and Ep 2 was August 21, 2014, both at the TV Guide office, I think. There has been kinda nothing like it since except that super brief video where they just kinda walked around the new office showing all of the empty rooms that they were eventually going to use.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By handlas

A morning show would be cool but...

Give them a break they are still settling into the new office. Just like the SF guys.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm pretty sure they're working on getting a podcast going.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gaff

It must be nice not having responsibilities like kids and stuff.

Also...

Loading Video...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@punched said:

Vinny isn't a newsman and he's not really up to date on, well, anything.

Yeah, this seems to be the biggest issue. Alex and Vinny can definitely go on for hours about old games/movies/music, but trying to cover recent events probably wouldn't work too well.

jachin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could have sworn Alex said that a podcast was coming in January back at the end of last year right? I guess red tape got in the way or something.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Just call it the most nonsensical podcast title in existence and make it a game for people to somehow find it. Sorta like Frog Fractions 2.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff:Not to be contentious or anything, but unless he's rocking a baby bjorn for his daughter and a play area for his son at work, I don't think anything like that would be a direct factor.

Sorry, people have been using that excuse for Vinny for a few years now (not that he isn't doing a good job, because he is), and I never understood why that would matter.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

No but Vinny not being in a podcast consistantly is a crime against humanity. Case in point, the dadcast is a completely different podcast when he isn't there, not bad but not the same.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Keep the MGScanlon streak going and call it "VINHOUND and [Weapon] Wolf." Don't know what to use instead of Sniper.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@wjb said:

@gaff:Not to be contentious or anything, but unless he's rocking a baby bjorn for his daughter and a play area for his son at work, I don't think anything like that would be a direct factor.

Sorry, people have been using that excuse for Vinny for a few years now (not that he isn't doing a good job, because he is), and I never understood why that would matter.

People keep using that it because they don't understand how having a kid doesn't excuse a person from doing their job

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I do want them to start a new podcast but I don't think it needs to be in the same style of Bombin' the AM which was quite a specific thing.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb: Well, Bombin in the AM was always streamed from Alex' and Patrick's home, before they headed into the office. If you immediately translate that to Vinny and Alex then that would mean that Vinny would stream from his home (hopefully from his not-flooded-with-sewage home or a way too small apartment for a family of three).

Of course, they could come in the office early / on their off-day (judging from the latest Alt F1 the San Francisco office starts at about 10 AM, might be the same in either the old or new New York office?), and maybe use the CBSi New York's podcast room (if that's not already in use, maybe?), and afterwards attend meetings / record Quick Looks / sift through their emails / book appointments for games / build and fix their studio?

I dunno. Maybe?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I just kind of assumed, they were waiting for Patrick's replacement to be hired and then would tailor the cast around works with the new mix.

Assuming they ever hire a replacement for Patrick

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By cornbredx

No.

Not because it's sacrosanct, but I still think expecting Vinny to do a morning show when he has two young children is really inconsiderate and cruel.

pkjr92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely a new podcast from Vinny and Alex, but definitely not just Bombin' in the A.M.

Does their podcast studio have cameras? I would absolutely love a GB video podcast.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:
@wjb said:

People keep using that it because they don't understand how having a kid doesn't excuse a person from doing their job

Vinny does his job. Having a kid does excuse you from dedicating all your non-work time to work. Having a regular podcast about gaming requires the playing of a lot of games. Vinny does actual work and doesn't just sit around the office all day playing games.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff: Fair enough. I suppose I didn't take Skyping into account.

It's just been so long! I know there's been building changes and a handful of weeks dedicated to a newborn baby, but it'll be one year next month. That's crazy! And replacing Patrick won't happen until after E3, probably? I know hiring for essential positions takes awhile, but 5+ months?

Sorry. It's just like we're always waiting for something to happen. By the time everything we'll be set at East, Vinny will go somewhere else.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jesus_Phish

It made sense to end Scoops and the Wolf, but I'd love to see them come up with a new morning show or any show. Hearing Vinny on the bombcast this week reminded me of how funny that guy is.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Vinny's core competency is in video, just as Alex's core competency is being a bit scared of the world and slightly melancholy about it. While both are great on a podcast, it woudl be a WASTE to have them not doing video at some point.

Pretty soon the New York podcasting room will be functional, I guess we can't say finished or good, but it will be in some sort of functional state. They will then begin 'earnest' production of content....by which I mean Vinny will fulfil his dream of taking over playing Ernest P. Worrell from the late Jim Varney.