Should we be talking about Alex's recent tweet?

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So Alex recently tweeted something that was fat shaming another person.

This was done in reference to a concept of a human that could survive a catastrophic car crash which came out recently.

No Caption Provided

Now while I do agree that the person he was making fun of has some absolutely awful opinions, but is it OK to make fun of someone in this way just because you strongly disagree with them? Shouldn't any attack on Matt Forney be on his arguments rather than his weight?

Personally I think it isn't OK because that opens the door to a lot of shitty behavior when someone says hate speech is only OK when they agree with it. Alex has since made a tweet saying hes OK with being awful to this person.

I was actually kind of afraid to make this thread because I was worried about people assuming I agree with this jerk since I was calling Alex out on being a piece of shit in the name of equality but it is difficult to keep silent since he is making people who share my viewpoint look like hypocrites.

What do you guys think? Is this OK because Matt Forney has awful opinions or should we hold ourselves to higher standards than the people we disagree with?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I love how the Internet has made personal drama everyone's business...

Avatar image for shoguns_decapitator
Shoguns_Decapitator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does everyone have to have an opinion about everything?

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't take it as fat shaming, more that he's a mis-shapen mother fucker. Which is still shitty I guess, but there you go.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Not me.

dgtlty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is Matt Forney?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes it's perfectly fine to "fat shame" Matt Forney because he's a known piece of shit. No it is not hypocritical. Next.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

We really shouldn't.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say I really care. Don't see how making fun of a fat guy is any different than making fun of someone for any other reason.

BetaBand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda disappointed by Alex here. There are a million things you could have gone with. That dude is certainly worth disdain and hatred, but going for looks is bottom of the barrel, lowest common denominator nonsense.

You're smarter than this, Alex.

iammattz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoooooooooooooo caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaares

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe leave personal drama to the people involved?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By alistercat

Ryan and Patrick have said far worse on this site. I don't see Alex as a bastion of progressive ideals, so no.

I also don't think fat shaming is that bad of a thing. Go ahead and make fun of people for their appearance. I should add that doing so makes you kind of a shitty person, but Alex accepts that. He's not unaware.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

If you can't get offended by something directly, why not get offended on behalf of someone else? Outrage culture! It's FUN!

ThatAintFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By ThatAintFalco

Don't give a hoot. I bet it would be hard to find a person who hasn't made fun of someone for a quality they possess and may or may not control, that other nice people also possess. The sense of humor of making fun of someone using an aspect that is unrelated to the reason they should be shamed is just not funny, but I don't actually know if weight has anything to do with what this guy did to deserve the comments in Alex's eyes.

In end, move on, who cares. There are a lot of nice and mean fat people, there are a lot of nice and mean skinny people.

Also, in before someone compares this to racism in some way...

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@iammattz said:

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

If you can't get offended by something directly, why not get offended on behalf of someone else? Outrage culture! It's FUN!

You sound like you're offended by outrage culture.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By n00bs7ay3r

Alex was wrong to post that. It's that simple. No discussion to be had. He should probably apologize.

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hach

I can't see any reason to get offended, it's not like that tweet in any way makes me think Alex has some prejudice against fat people or something like that.

As a side note it's interesting to see how people's tolerances to this kind of stuff has changed over the last 10 years. I feel like some people would freak out if they watched some of the old GB content.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n00bs7ay3r: Yes, he should apologize to the homophobic racist for joking about his apperance.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grithor: He should apologize for making a tweet that was in poor taste. If the guy is a homophobic racist then call him out for being that.

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I tried to give a shit OP, i really did.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grithor said:

@n00bs7ay3r: Yes, he should apologize to the homophobic racist for joking about his apperance.

Correct me if I'm wrong BUT we do still live in a world where two wrongs don't make a right, right? That is still a thing we all all taught when we are like 5 years old.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@iammattz said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n00bs7ay3r: I don't think there should be any limit on what comments are allowed to be thrown to Matt Forney. He deserves any vile shit said of him and to him.

@jonny_anonymous: I don't think what Alex said was wrong, in any way.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grithor said:

I immediately thought this. :-D Also, I think fat shaming is a huge assumption here regarding Alex's tweets. The mutant guy from the ad has a bizarre emotionless expression on his goateed face and appears to be a bit of a tool. This other dude has a bizarre emotionless expression on his face and apparently IS a tool. Alex never mentions weight in any of his initial tweets (haven't gone far enough down the rabbit hole to see if people baited him into their view of reality, and I'd rather not) and then specifies that chastising a bigot is the order of the day rather than his few extra pounds around his midsection, so I think the "tool" comparison is more applicable here.

But, it's the internet and since when did actual intentions matter here? People will see what they want to see, and what they want to see is something to be offended at. Have fun, dude. :-P

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grithor: This is the exact mindset I'm trying to bring into question, when someone is just being a different variety of hateful should we excuse it because we agree with them/disagree with the people they're against?

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By handlas

Keep on keeping on Alex. Good on ya for not apologizing.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grithor: This is the exact mindset I'm trying to bring into question, when someone is just being a different variety of hateful should we excuse it because we agree with them/disagree with the people they're against?

You're really letting Matt Forney off the hook here. You're saying that all the terrible shit he's ever said is on the same level as Alex saying he's kind of funny looking.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By UlquioKani

I wonder if he meant that Matt Forney is a car crash of a human being?

I agree with you that we shouldn't be hateful in ways we disagree with when it's someone we don't like but it's already clear that Alex knows what he said.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. No, I don't think we should be talking about Alex's tweet. Who are "we" to talk about anything like this, really?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grithor said:

@n00bs7ay3r: I don't think there should be any limit on what comments are allowed to be thrown to Matt Forney. He deserves any vile shit said of him and to him.

@jonny_anonymous: I don't think what Alex said was wrong, in any way.

So I have no idea who this guy is but everybody is saying that he is a rancid scumbag so I'll just take everybody's word on it, but the point is what about everybody who has the same body type as this guy but who are not rancid scumbags? Alex's comments aren't exactly going to make them feel good about themselves are they. What exactly was he trying to achieve by saying what he did? If he was trying to point out that he is a rancid scumbag then he should of explained why instead of just saying "lol this guy is fat and ugly and don't google him as he's bad."

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. No, I don't think we should be talking about Alex's tweet. Who are "we" to talk about anything like this, really?

Human beings with sentence?

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hach said:

As a side note it's interesting to see how people's tolerances to this kind of stuff has changed over the last 10 years. I feel like some people would freak out if they watched some of the old GB content.

you mean like when ryan joked about getting a handjob from a mom while the kid took pictures of the "pearls" with his new 3ds that ryan gave him?

Loading Video...

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw: I don't really think I'm letting anyone off the hook, admittedly I've only done a very superficial google search on him but I think you're missing the point. I'm not trying to deny that Matt Forney has reprehensible opinions and that he should be taught otherwise, I'm saying that we should avoid sinking down to his level and asking why other people are OK with sinking to his level on an issue they agree with.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BallsLeon

I think calling him fat is probably the most tame thing you could say about Mr. Forney.

That being said, "Graham" the grotesque car crash model isn't really fat. He just has no neck, a huge head, and extra pectoral muscles (and nipples). So maybe he's monster shaming and not fat shaming.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone please give me a quick run down of who Matt Forney is and why he's so awful? I have never heard of him.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

nah

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By mikemcn

Thanks for introducing the nightmare that is this matt forney fuck. I wish i didn't know he existed.

What does the creepy body image have to do with anything else in this post?

Also we shouldn't be talking about this here.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Humanity

@e30bmw: I don't really think I'm letting anyone off the hook, admittedly I've only done a very superficial google search on him but I think you're missing the point. I'm not trying to deny that Matt Forney has reprehensible opinions and that he should be taught otherwise, I'm saying that we should avoid sinking down to his level and asking why other people are OK with sinking to his level on an issue they agree with.

While I theoretically agree with the whole notion of not sinking to someones level and being "better" than that, in reality it usually just boils down to you trying to act civil while another person flings hateful speech in your direction and laughs in your face. It's really the equivalent of someone spitting in your face while you courteously ask him to please stop and they just laugh and keep on doing it. You even see it on these forums. Plenty of times I try to approach a conversation in a civil manner and say things like "well this is just my opinion / I understand what you're saying but maybe considering this alternative.. / different strokes for different folks" and so forth, trying to respect the other person, and from time to time the other person will just keep on trampling all over you not respecting anything you've said. It feels demoralizing to be "the better person" in the situation.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps this thread started a little misguided, but I understand what you're getting at, @grapesoda. We shouldn't respond to hate with hate; it just continues the cycle. I'm not advocating acceptance for whoever this Matt Forney person is, but we should try to understand where people are coming from and confront their thoughts civilly. Receiving criticism from one person probably won't change someone, maybe not even if many, many people offer criticism, but at least it's a try in bringing everyone together — hate, on the other hand, just keeps us apart.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: The problem with that is you run into the age old saying of "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" so I think being civil is the better option even if the other person thinks they're winning.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ALavaPenguin

I don't know the guy or who he is, but googling him I see what it is probably coming from given his political leanings. However, even if you disagree with his opinions, I am disappointed in Alex acting in this way. Alex doesn't need to degrade himself to petty hate talk like that. Whatever the opinions of that guy is, he shouldn't treat a person like that. Alex I really enjoy at Giant Bomb and I would hope he would act with more maturity than having such child talk on people he disagree with. If you truly think those opinions of that guy is bad, then call it out, but saying stuff like that makes you look worse than any opinions that guy has [which I don't even know what his opinions are, but it doesn't matter, it still does].

If it is just a political leanings thing, honestly I prefer that to stay out of most things, but that is his twitter account not the site so that is his own choice. I really hate when we get little thrown in unnecessary social/political comments from people on the website itself [even when I agree with them] which was one of the reasons until recently I wasn't even listening to the beastcast. I am now though and enjoying it a great deal! Even when I agree with the comment the last thing I want to do is come to a website that entertains me and have to hear about their political opinions. However I don't know the guy so maybe it is more than simply his political leanings.

If it is just how the guy is pretty far in one political direction though, I think it best to still leave those things on the side, as remember a lot of fans may be of the leaning as well, so why offend a large portion of your fan base :)

Oh well! Still think Alex is great overall, but I wish he wouldn't resort to such nasty talk. He is a cool dude and doesn't need that sort of thing. I dont' know the guy either but it wasn't even a good insult. That dude could lose a few pounds, but hardly overweight, and I wouldn't go near calling him an ugly human being. He isn't a prince charming but how few of us really are :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a GB editor, so it's fine.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzuel: I'm sorry if my original post was a bit obscured but I totally agree with you, this kind of hate only keeps people apart, society needs to stay positive when it comes to things like this that need to change.

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: Yep! you would never hear something like that on a bombcast these days (I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, just a fact). Vinny especially used to be a source of slightly off-colour hilarity but he toned it down significantly, I wonder if it was the times or having a kid that did that.