Since YT went 60 Hz, I prefer watching GB videos there...

SquareTheRoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Since YT went 60 Hz, I prefer watching GB videos there... (16 votes)

Refresh rate 75%
Video compression 81%

So I was wondering how you guys feel - what's more important: the 60 Hz of YouTube or the vastly superior video compression and bitrate of the Giantbomb website?

• 
Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Corevi

I'm pretty sure the GB player (or at least the HTML one) supports 60 fps.

Polls are totally broken btw so don't expect actual answers from that.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By TheHBK

I like the 60fps on YT but is it just me or do the videos at 60 look like they need some Anti-Aliasing? And its not just video game footage but real world stuff.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

videos on the site have been 60 fps for awhile.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather have 60fps than whatever the compression for GB videos tops out at these days.

Or no, I'd rather have 1080p60 than whatever the compression tops out at these days, and they get good mileage out of the compressor. We're in a new console generation where 1080p is the standard on one of the consoles, and the experience is seriously ruined having to stick to 720p. It sucks. 60fps is a huge thing, nice to have 720p60 but to those of us who got used to sharp 1x1 pixel to panel with the PS4 quickly it sucks.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk: I don't think they need AA, but YT videos are heavily compressed, often to the degree that they turn into a muddy mess. I always turn on 1080p video on a 480p viewsize just to get reasonable detail out of YT videos.

GIynny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GIynny

My computer can't handle the giantbomb videos in fullscreen. It goes really choppy and loses alot of frame rate.

But my pc can handle youtube 60fps just fine :)

Sooooo the choice is obvious for me

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't watch 720p anymore due to the 60 FPS. That really sucks. I actually watch more videos on Giantbomb again now.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the videos are 60fps here and in better quality than YT so of course I'll watch them here.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb videos are at 60 fps. And even though they're only 720p, they look better than YT's compressed-to-hell 1080p videos.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a72087901fb1
deactivated-5a72087901fb1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I download HD versions from the site for 60 fps and better (less) compression but I sometimes watch on YT recently since the GB website has been slow as hell for downloading. I get 13MB/s down and downloads from GB can drop to 0.5MB/s.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch quick looks on YouTube and download everything else.

slowhanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos have definitely been 60 fps on the site for a while.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Brendan

Are the videos really all 1080p on Giantbomb? They don't look very sharp to me. Maybe the studio cameras aren't great but I don't think the video quality is very high.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By cornbredx

Giantbomb videos still look better. Mostly due to less compression and higher bit rate. The 60 frames comparison is silly as Giant Bomb has had 60 frames per second capture videos on the site for a couple years at least (even on live shows). Youtube is only now catching up.

Youtube does look better than it did, but Giant Bomb is ahead of the curve on video quality. The player can be buggy sometimes, but I download most stuff anyway so that doesn't affect me much.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos have been 60 on the site for well over a year now, probably more than two years.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RonGalaxy

Maybe 60 fps is exclusive to premium members? I use the html5 version of videos and they are definitely 60 fps (when the game is 60 fps).

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

I prefer YouTube because the player is a lot better.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe 60 fps is exclusive to premium members? I use the html5 version of videos and they are definitely 60 fps (when the game is 60 fps).

Nah, I think the other players also support 60?

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen 60 on this website for over a year now and I haven't been using the HTML player, but this player (aswell as Gamespot's player) is really bad and choppy. I don't know why, but I think it has something to do with ads being launched in the background creating brief stops in the videos, or maybe because Internet Explorer is a jerk. Regardless I still prefer just watching videos here.

jamesg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By jamesg

streaming videos from gb is unstable, some days things work great, some days you cant stream a thing.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By TobbRobb

Any game that has enough movement that 60fps video matters is ruined by youtubes shitty compression. I'll take the framerate hit if I can actually see what is happening on screen thanks.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I watch quick looks on YouTube and download everything else.

This is exactly what I do. I am not a fan of the GB video player at all.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@thehbk said:

I like the 60fps on YT but is it just me or do the videos at 60 look like they need some Anti-Aliasing? And its not just video game footage but real world stuff.

hold your horses one second there duder...

shouldn't real world stuff look terrible? Who does real life in 60 fps? I didn't think that was a thing! O.o

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

shouldn't real world stuff look terrible? Who does real life in 60 fps? I didn't think that was a thing! O.o

I try to walk at 30fps to appear more cinematic. The reality is that walking at 60 takes it out of me - Need to get a pair of those new Nvidia lungs in SLI...

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@thehbk said:

It looks weird in motion but i am talking about the image quality itself, like I am seeing a lot more jaggies.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@geraltitude said:

I try to walk at 30fps to appear more cinematic. The reality is that walking at 60 takes it out of me - Need to get a pair of those new Nvidia lungs in SLI...

lol oh god no it's one of those sounds like a joke / could be the terrible future. Pro tip: if you walk at 24 fps then it will really look like a movie.

@thehbk said:

@geraltitude said:

@thehbk said:

It looks weird in motion but i am talking about the image quality itself, like I am seeing a lot more jaggies.

You know I don't really know what that is but my sense would just be YT`s generally not so great compression. Probably they will get a balance at some point but I bet in some places they are sacrificing fidelity for file size / streaming speed, and that ends up in your jaggies. Just a guess!

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#27  Edited By Sin4profit

Giantbomb's video player doesn't work great for me so i generally use the youtube settings if i have the option.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By winsord

I always download videos. YouTube's only 60FPS in Chrome, which I'm not using, and the Giant Bomb player tends to stutter for whatever reason (probably because Flash is garbage, HTML5 runs fine but has a higher CPU impact). VLC has neither of those issues for me, and it comes with a bunch of other bonuses, so I much prefer to download and watch them locally instead. Also, the question seems kind of silly as Giant Bomb has both the 60Hz refresh rate and better (read: less) compression. It's really more a question as to whether the GB player wants to work as intended, rather than its theoretical output.