Sinclair ZX spectrum is 30 years old today!

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bell_End

Wow can't believe its 30 years.

Dizzy
Dizzy
No Caption Provided
Way Of the Exploding fist
Way Of the Exploding fist
No Caption Provided
Head Over Head
Head Over Head
Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Happy Birthday old electronic gaming system I had not heard of until 5 minutes ago!

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Still_I_Cry said:

Happy Birthday old electronic gaming system I had not heard of until 5 minutes ago!

Indeed.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bell_End

@Still_I_Cry said:

if you was in your 30's and lived in the UK you would be feeling as nostagic as i do.

Drazat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Drazat

Happy birthday! Some great games up there too.they just relesed 100 spectrum games bundle for the iPad I may pick it up as I still get misty eyed about the games.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aas

Everyone knows Sinclair's greatest invention was the C5.

Honk, honk, motherfucker.

No Caption Provided
AdzPearson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By AdzPearson

@Bell_End said:

if you was in your 30's and lived in the UK you would be feeling as nostagic as i do.

I'm in my mid-20s and I have nostalgia for it (although I was probably just one of the last gamers of that generation). It wasn't the best piece of hardware even back in its day, but it was still awesome. I can't believe I waited 5-10 mins for a game to load, though... XD

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bell_End

@AdzPearson said:

@Bell_End said:

I'm in my mid-20s and I have nostalgia for it (although I was probably just one of the last gamers of that generation). It wasn't the best piece of hardware even back in its day, but it was still awesome. I can't believe I waited 5-10 mins for a game to load, though... XD

even then you was not guarenteed it work.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By forkboy

@Bell_End said:

@AdzPearson said:

@Bell_End said:

even then you was not guarenteed it work.

Yeah but shit, even that massive complaint, seen through the glasses of nostalgia is kinda fun.

The first games system I ever "owned" was a ZX Spectrum 81. It was my dads, I remember first fiddling with it when I was 4 or 5. It blew me away. There was War In Middle Earth, a bewildering strategy game set in a fictional world I had no familiarity with, a Ghostbusters game I loved because it was Ghostbusters despite having no clue what I was doing, Paperboy, Thundercats, Dizzy, god, so many class memories. My favourite was a cassette that 3 games on it, which were all turn based strategies. One was about trying to hunt down & sink the Bismarck, one was a Battle of Britain game where you would scramble Spitfires & Hurricanes to shoot down the evil Nazis & the best was a Cold War game. I had no idea what the goal was bt there was a nuke button, & the animation made me giddy, of this bomb coming in on a city, then a mushroom cloud. And as soon as you launched one nuke the Warsaw Pact would launch nukes at all your cities. Found it! Theatre Europe

Fond, fond memories of that system, less powerful than a Commodore 64 but a lot cheaper, hence it's huge popularity in the UK in the 80s. By far the biggest home computer in that era here.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

There are a lot of home consoles turning 30 this year too, the Atari 5200, the Vectrex, and I think maybe the Colecovision.

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By shades846

yeah though in the UK it's well remembered by 1000s of software engineers in there 30s that started to program on them for the first time. My older brother started on one and he now senior engineer at a software company. Unlike consoles it was much more hands on though also much less reliable to work.