Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By BRG
No Caption Provided

Note: Game provided by GTP Media and Sever/101XP

Welcome to part three of my blogthrough of The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante. If you haven’t read the first part yet, I would recommend doing so as it explains what I’m doing here as well as starts off the whole story. I’m still doing Jack’s run on Twitch, though with how choppy I’ve been with putting out these parts, I cannot say when I’ll do the next one (I’m trying to speed up this series). One slight change I am making is that I will be including the name of each scenario to help distinguish each scene from one another. So with that said, here is the end to chapter 2.

My Run
My Run

The Silver Tree

I was thirteen when I got to take a school trip to the Silver Tree in Anizotte. My teacher told me the Silver Tree was born from the spilled blood of the first disciples of the Twin Gods, and that divine graces flows within the people who live underneath the tree despite many of its people looking impoverished. I remember the sheer size and might of the tree being so grandiose that I got distracted and fell away from the rest of the class. While wandering around, a preacher approached me and talked about how religious teachings showed the Lots were a bunch of lies, which surprised me. Before I even knew how to comprehend that information, a girl about my age pulled me away and told me the preacher was telling lies.

While I was caught between these two people vying for my attention, I found myself instead being called by a third entity: the tree itself. I allowed the tree to take hold of my interest, and it strangely reminded me of my time with the ant farm Mother gave me. I realized that the people walking all around me were no different than the ants that walked around in my farm. Soon, everything and everyone faded away, leaving only the branches that picked me up and elevated me high off the ground. While being lifted higher and higher, I came to many conclusions about life: this Tree was divine, this Tree and really life and the Lots as a whole were created by the Twin Gods, and life was a mixture of love and law. As I discovered these revelations, the Tree brought me down to the ground, and the girl instantly knew what had happened. She said her name was Jeanne and that she was an acolyte of the temple. She started asking me questions about my experience, but I was too awe-struck by what just happened. Before I left to join my school group once again, she told me I should become a priest because few ever experience what I just experienced. I said goodbye to her and went on with my life as usual, but meeting with Jeanne and having that experience did leave me more of a believer than before.

Shadow of the Past

While I was walking home one day from school, I remember seeing Mother on the porch waiting for me. After praying with her, she got to what was on her mind. She talked about why Father, a Noble, married her, a Commoner. More importantly, though, she explained who Gloria really was to the family. She’s really the daughter of Mother and another Noble, and it was after her birth that Mother and Father met. She then asked me about how I now saw Gloria with this new information.

After digesting all of it, I decided to still consider Gloria my sister because, well, she was still my sister. Sure, her standing in the family structure may have been a bit strange, but she was my sister and I was her brother. My answer made Mother happy, though she also told me to stay hush about Gloria’s true nature as to not stir up any more controversy for the Brante name. Still, I could tell that this secret was a weight lifted off Mother’s shoulders, and she was glad she could trust me with it.

The Flash and the Flame

One of the less fortunate moments in my 13-year-old school life was during a theology lesson. The teacher chose on a kid named Brian to answer his question, but he couldn’t. The teacher was about to strike him for not answering when Brian shrieked, causing the teacher’s face to light on fire. I always thought the magic talked about in history books was fake, but here it was clear as day. Students were fleeing, other teachers were trying to get ahold of the situation, and Brian was maniacally laughing and lighting parts of the classroom on fire. As he grew more hysterical, Tommas and I looked at each other and knew we had to act. Despite his body searing ours, we managed to knock him out. Shortly after, the Inquisition in their black coats took him away. One of the Inquisition men explained what had happened, and the next day we were to act like nothing ever happened. Well, something certainly did, and while that moment is certainly engrained in my head, I also remember Tommas and I just instantly clicking and knowing exactly what to do.

The Nobleman’s Lot

During this same year was the centennial anniversary of the Uther Tempest’s rule. School was closed for two weeks for celebration, and Stephan came home during this time. When he returned, I found him to be a bit more polite to the rest of the family. One night, while Stephan was telling me about the goings on of his life, Nathan walked in and told us that she couldn’t find Gloria and that she wanted to hang out at Char Milanidas’ palace, which was known for being dangerous. Stephan and I sprung into action, though I was surprised to see Stephan do anything at all considering his last encounter with Gloria. He explained that Commoner or not, she was still family, and he must protect his family. Once we got there, we soon found Gloria surrounded by a group of thugs. Stephan threatened them and pulled out his sword, and while the thugs were concerned about the weapon, they realized they had greater numbers and decided to not back down.

Stephan barked some orders at me, and while I thought of running away and getting the guards, I decided to follow his command. I grabbed a stick and went back-to-back with him. I struck one of the thugs with the stick, and Stephan stuck his sword through the thug’s stomach, which caught everyone including myself by surprise as none of us were expecting for him to actually use it. The thugs rushed us, pinning me to a wall and beating me until I was knocked unconscious. When I came to, I found myself in my room with Stephan by my side. Both of us were beaten up but alive. He gave me a long-winded speech about the honor of Nobles in battle and how knowing our place in society helped in the situation, but in between the lines I could see that he was proud of me for staying and fighting by his side, both for his sake and the family’s name.

Forbidden Love

Speaking of Stephan, I remember one time while walking back from school I saw him hanging out near the mansion of Count El Velasco, one of the richest landlords of Magra. I also saw him participating in a scandalous relationship with the Count’s daughter, as she was already set to a relationship with another, much more powerful family. This relationship could put the family name in great peril, but I also saw the look of true happiness on Stephan’s face and I didn’t want to ruin that for him. While I was thinking about all this, Stephan spotted me. When he approached me about this, I told him what I saw, but I also assured him that his secret was safe with me. He appreciated my trust, and from then on I helped distract others from seeing the two lovebirds.

An Adult Question

Thirteen was quite an eventful year for me, but one who didn’t quite know about that age yet was Nathan. I remember one day at home when he approached me. Nervous as ever, he asked if the Twin Gods hated him. Judging by the look in his eye, whatever answer I gave him would stick. I didn’t want to hurt Nathan, so I dispelled his fears. I explained to him that despite how cruel fate can be, the Gods still loved him. As I was explaining this to him, I could see him lighten up, almost like I was taking a huge weight off his shoulders. He thanked me for my wisdom, and while it was a rather small moment in my life, it was something that stuck with me for quite some time.

Trial of the Assailants

It wasn’t long until fight against the thugs reached the courts, considering the implications of a Commoner attacking a Noble. According to the law of the land, while attacking a Noble was a serious crime punishable by true death, Commoners were still given a chance to defend themselves in court, thus resulting in the trial at-hand. Before I had to testify to court, Father told me not to mention Gloria, as her existence in all of this could hurt the family name. Not mentioning her would make this trial quick and painless, but I also felt bad for Gloria because moments like this made her feel valueless and unwanted in the family.

While I felt bad for Gloria in all this, I had to keep the family’s best interest in mind, so I decided not to bring her up in court. I told Father’s phony story to the court, and the judge (Augustin El Borne, might I add) sentenced the thugs to true death. The noose around their necks sapped the life out of them, and the Brante’s dirty little secret left with their souls. Gloria didn’t talk to me for some days, but I hope she understood that it was in all of our best interests to get this event behind us.

Agony

Everyone experiences a natural true death at some point in their lifetime, and it was at age fourteen when I witnessed Grandfather’s last moments. After the trial ended, Gregor decided to stay at the house rather than leave with Stephan because of his failing health. As the months rolled on, his physical and mental health deteriorated, and it was often Mother taking the brunt of all this. One night, I saw him approach Mother, shouting at her and threatening to kill her. He was at his end, and he believed the only way he could clean his soul before departing Earth was to take Mother with him.

In that moment, I decided to run and warn Nathan and Gloria of the danger to come. I woke them and rushed them out of the house. Shortly after, I saw a figure fly out of the second floor window, and while I presumed it was Mother, I made sure none of us looked. Next thing you know, the house was aflame, and the three of us ran to go get help. Mother’s body disappeared as she died a lesser death, but Gregor’s body remained on the charred ashes that was once the second floor of the house, as he died his true death. Soon we reconvened with Mother, and we stood over the body of Gregor. Ultimately, we all felt relief that his presence would no longer weigh on the family.

Last Respects

Despite Gregor leaving the physical world, his presence could still be felt around the house. Before we could forget about him altogether though, we had to pay final respects to him. The men of the household visited his crypt and took part in a sacrament. After a short speech, Father cut his palm with a blade and let the blood flow into a duct, where Gregor’s blood flowed. Stephan followed suit. Then it was my turn, but the thought of my blood entering this blood pact made me hesitate.

In the end, I couldn’t get myself to do it. I’m not a Noble, so how could my blood co-exist with Nobility? Nathan agreed with me and opted out as well. While disappointed, Father understood my reasoning. As he and Stephan were closing the sarcophagus, Gregor’s voice could be heard echoed around the crypt, mocking Nathan and I for not participating in the sacrament. Nathan and I left the crypt first, relieved to be out of Grandfather’s presence, and eventually the four of us went home.

The Fugitive Girl

To get Grandfather out of my mind, I spent time walking around the streets. I walked by the road where I would talk to Sophia, which was quite coincidental with what happened next. I saw an Arknian frantically looking around for someone whose description sounded eerily familiar. I decided to check out an abandoned house nearby and sure enough, Sophia was in there hiding. She had been a servant for the Arknian, but decided to run away. She went to her parents for help, but they were just going to bring her back to the Arknian, so she ran away instead. As she was explaining this, we heard the search party close in on the house, and the Arknian offered to bring her back, or else.

I decided to try and help her out. I went up to the Arknian and told him that she wasn’t there. He didn’t believe me and entered the house, I tried to physically block him, but he smacked me out of the way. As he was about to kill me, one of the Arknian’s men spotted her. She escaped as I was distracting the Arknian, and the search party started chasing her. Right when she was about to be caught, however, she screamed, and the pursuer fell to the ground as the air around her sizzled with sparks. By the time I processed the fact that Sophia was a witch, she was already gone, and rumor had it she successfully escaped.

The Bloodstained Sermon

As I started getting older and closer to adulthood, Mother became more anxious about me leaving her protective wing. One day while at the dinner table, Gloria suggested going to the tailor, but Mother became agitated because she didn’t want her to see Fotis, a high ranking priest preaching at the Silver Tree. So naturally, Gloria and I snuck out and went to the Silver Tree. We hit a huge crowd gathered around him and wondered why Mother hated him. As it turned out, he was a preacher for the New Faith, a new interpretation of the faith that disavowed the Lots. I could see why this was so controversial according to Mother, as people began to question what life without the Lots would be like. Right when Fotis was about to answer, a beggar in rags jumped out of the crowd and stabbed him. Soon, everyone was in a frenzy trying to escape. Gloria and I managed to get back home in one piece and without Mother finding out. We kept our sneaking out a secret, and the next day we sat at the dinner table listening to Mother and Father discuss what happened. Father explained to me that a priest such as Fotis didn’t get lesser deaths because of his position in the Church. Something told me this wouldn’t be the end of the New Faith…

The Last Night

According to Imperial Law, adulthood starts at sixteen years of age. I remember the day before I turned sixteen. I was about to ship out to Eterna to study in college, but I hadn’t quite decided what I wanted to study. Father wanted me to become a Noble, while Mother wanted me on a more religious path. Gloria didn’t seem to have a dog in the fight (she made a joke about not becoming snooty like Stephan), but Nathan was saddened to see me go. As the night wore on, the family returned to their rooms, but I only had enough time to spend with one of them before I packed up and left.

With the few hours I had left, I decided to spend time with Father in his study. He welcomed me in, poured me a glass of whisky, and he told me stories about his college days. He then told me of Amelia, his first wife, and he assured me that no matter what, I was capable of achieving anything. So with that, I went to sleep, woke up and packed, then left for Eterna. I watched the streets I grew up on pass by. The carriage picked up Tommas, and away we went to the capital, to live in a new city with new lives.

Their Run
Their Run

The Silver Tree

I was thirteen when I got to take a school trip to the Silver Tree in Anizotte. My teacher told me the Silver Tree was born from the spilled blood of the first disciples of the Twin Gods, and that divine graces flows within the people who live underneath the tree despite many of its people looking impoverished. I remember the sheer size and might of the tree being so grandiose that I got distracted and fell away from the rest of the class. While wandering around, a preacher approached me and talked about how religious teachings showed the Lots were a bunch of lies, which surprised me. Before I even knew how to comprehend that information, a girl about my age pulled me away and told me the preacher was telling lies.

I decided to stick with the girl, and I followed her inside the temple. She introduced herself as Jeanne, and I soon found myself in awe of this grand place. She explained that she was an acolyte and what duties she had to this temple, and that her uncle was a priest. I felt the Twin God statues stare at me, like as if the Gods themselves were there, and Jeanne could sense that. After spending a bit more time with her, I made my way back to the rest of my class, but I could never forget stepping in that temple for the first time.

Shadow of the Past

While I was walking home one day from school, I remember seeing Mother on the porch waiting for me. After praying with her, she got to what was on her mind. She talked about why Father, a Noble, married her, a Commoner. More importantly, though, she explained who Gloria really was to the family. She’s really the daughter of Mother and another Noble, and it was after her birth that Mother and Father met. She then asked me about how I now saw Gloria with this new information.

After digesting all of it, I decided to still consider Gloria my sister because, well, she was still my sister. Sure, her standing in the family structure may have been a bit strange, but she was my sister and I was her brother. My answer made Mother happy, though she also told me to stay hush about Gloria’s true nature as to not stir up any more controversy for the Brante name. Still, I could tell that this secret was a weight lifted off Mother’s shoulders, and she was glad she could trust me with it.

The Flash and the Flame

One of the less fortunate moments in my 13-year-old school life was during a theology lesson. The teacher chose on a kid named Brian to answer his question, but he couldn’t. The teacher was about to strike him for not answering when Brian shrieked, causing the teacher’s face to light on fire. I always thought the magic talked about in history books was fake, but here it was clear as day. Students were fleeing, other teachers were trying to get ahold of the situation, and Brian was maniacally laughing and lighting parts of the classroom on fire. As he grew more hysterical, Tommas and I looked at each other and knew we had to act. Despite his body searing ours, we managed to knock him out. Shortly after, the Inquisition in their black coats took him away. One of the Inquisition men explained what had happened, and the next day we were to act like nothing ever happened. Well, something certainly did, and while that moment is certainly engrained in my head, I also remember Tommas and I just instantly clicking and knowing exactly what to do.

The Nobleman’s Lot

During this same year was the centennial anniversary of the Uther Tempest’s rule. School was closed for two weeks for celebration, and Stephan came home during this time. When he returned, I found him to be a bit more polite to the rest of the family. One night, while Stephan was telling me about the goings on of his life, Nathan walked in and told us that she couldn’t find Gloria and that she wanted to hang out at Char Milanidas’ palace, which was known for being dangerous. Stephan and I sprung into action, though I was surprised to see Stephan do anything at all considering his last encounter with Gloria. He explained that Commoner or not, she was still family, and he must protect his family. Once we got there, we soon found Gloria surrounded by a group of thugs. Stephan threatened them and pulled out his sword, and while the thugs were concerned about the weapon, they realized they had greater numbers and decided to not back down.

Soon, the thugs surrounded Stephan, and while he managed to hold them off with swordplay, I could see that they were closing in. Even though Commoners were not allowed to fight, I couldn’t just leave Stephan, so I found a heavy rock and bashed one of the thugs in the head. Stephan saw the opportunity and started to strike. I was swinging around the rock when something pierced my side and I went down. Soon after, everything faded to black. When I came to, I found myself in my room with Stephan by my side. Both of us were beaten up but alive. He gave me a long-winded speech about the honor of Nobles in battle and how knowing our place in society helped in the situation, but in between the lines I could see that he was proud of me for staying and fighting by his side, even though my fighting must be kept secret.

Trial of the Assailants

It wasn’t long until fight against the thugs reached the courts, considering the implications of a Commoner attacking a Noble. According to the law of the land, while attacking a Noble was a serious crime punishable by true death, Commoners were still given a chance to defend themselves in court, thus resulting in the trial at-hand. Before I had to testify to court, Father told me not to mention Gloria, as her existence in all of this could hurt the family name. Not mentioning her would make this trial quick and painless, but I also felt bad for Gloria because moments like this made her feel valueless and unwanted in the family.

While I felt bad for Gloria in all this, I had to keep the family’s best interest in mind, so I decided not to bring her up in court. I told Father’s phony story to the court, and the judge (Augustin El Borne, might I add) sentenced the thugs to true death. The noose around their necks sapped the life out of them, and the Brante’s dirty little secret left with their souls. Gloria didn’t talk to me for some days, but I hope she understood that it was in all of our best interests to get this event behind us.

Agony

Everyone experiences a natural true death at some point in their lifetime, and it was at age fourteen when I witnessed Grandfather’s last moments. After the trial ended, Gregor decided to stay at the house rather than leave with Stephan because of his failing health. As the months rolled on, his physical and mental health deteriorated, and it was often Mother taking the brunt of all this. One night, I saw him approach Mother, shouting at her and threatening to kill her. He was at his end, and he believed the only way he could clean his soul before departing Earth was to take Mother with him.

In that moment, I decided to run and warn Nathan and Gloria of the danger to come. I woke them and rushed them out of the house. Shortly after, I saw a figure fly out of the second floor window, and while I presumed it was Mother, I made sure none of us looked. Next thing you know, the house was aflame, and the three of us ran to go get help. Mother’s body disappeared as she died a lesser death, but Gregor’s body remained on the charred ashes that was once the second floor of the house, as he died his true death. Soon we reconvened with Mother, and we stood over the body of Gregor. Ultimately, we all felt relief that his presence would no longer weigh on the family.

Last Respects

Despite Gregor leaving the physical world, his presence could still be felt around the house. Before we could forget about him altogether though, we had to pay final respects to him. The men of the household visited his crypt and took part in a sacrament. After a short speech, Father cut his palm with a blade and let the blood flow into a duct, where Gregor’s blood flowed. Stephan followed suit. Then it was my turn, but the thought of my blood entering this blood pact made me hesitate.

In the end, I couldn’t get myself to do it. I’m not a Noble, so how could my blood co-exist with Nobility? Nathan agreed with me and opted out as well. While disappointed, Father understood my reasoning. As he and Stephan were closing the sarcophagus, Gregor’s voice could be heard echoed around the crypt, mocking Nathan and I for not participating in the sacrament. Nathan and I left the crypt first, relieved to be out of Grandfather’s presence, and eventually the four of us went home.

The Fugitive Girl

To get Grandfather out of my mind, I spent time walking around the streets. I walked by the road where I would talk to Sophia, which was quite coincidental with what happened next. I saw an Arknian frantically looking around for someone whose description sounded eerily familiar. I decided to check out an abandoned house nearby and sure enough, Sophia was in there hiding. She had been a servant for the Arknian, but decided to run away. She went to her parents for help, but they were just going to bring her back to the Arknian, so she ran away instead. As she was explaining this, we heard the search party close in on the house, and the Arknian offered to bring her back, or else.

Not wanting the wrath of an Arknian, I hid in a dark corner of the house. I heard disappointment come from Sophia, but I didn’t really care. Soon, the search party stormed the house, went right past me, and soon found her. Sophia let out a high-pitched scream, and a bright explosion followed by floating sparks took her place. I watched Otton collapse, and I soon felt a terrible headache. While this was happening, Sophia ran out the door. Sophia’s a witch? By the time I composed myself, she was long gone, and rumor had it she escaped the city.

The Bloodstained Sermon

As I started getting older and closer to adulthood, Mother became more anxious about me leaving her protective wing. One day while at the dinner table, Gloria suggested going to the tailor, but Mother became agitated because she didn’t want her to see Fotis, a high ranking priest preaching at the Silver Tree. So naturally, Gloria and I snuck out and went to the Silver Tree. We hit a huge crowd gathered around him and wondered why Mother hated him. As it turned out, he was a preacher for the New Faith, a new interpretation of the faith that disavowed the Lots. I could see why this was so controversial according to Mother, as people began to question what life without the Lots would be like. Right when Fotis was about to answer, a beggar in rags jumped out of the crowd and stabbed him. Soon, everyone was in a frenzy trying to escape. Gloria and I managed to get back home in one piece and without Mother finding out. We kept our sneaking out a secret, and the next day we sat at the dinner table listening to Mother and Father discuss what happened. Father explained to me that a priest such as Fotis didn’t get lesser deaths because of his position in the Church. Something told me this wouldn’t be the end of the New Faith…

The Last Night

According to Imperial Law, adulthood starts at sixteen years of age. I remember the day before I turned sixteen. I was about to ship out to Eterna to study in college, but I hadn’t quite decided what I wanted to study. Father wanted me to become a Noble, while Mother wanted me on a more religious path. Gloria didn’t seem to have a dog in the fight (she made a joke about not becoming snooty like Stephan), but Nathan was saddened to see me go. As the night wore on, the family returned to their rooms, but I only had enough time to spend with one of them before I packed up and left.

With the few hours I had left, I decided to spend time with Mother in her room. She took me to the sitting area downstairs, and soon we were in prayer. She prayed about anything and everything, and she hoped that the Gods would answer by showing me the path to where I needed to go. The sun was about to rise, so I went to bed, but before that she handed me a pendant of the Twins’ cross. So with that, I went to sleep, woke up and packed, then left for Eterna. I watched the streets I grew up on pass by. The carriage picked up Tommas, and away we went to the capital, to live in a new city with new lives.

Final Statistics
Final Statistics

Destiny: Benjamin = Stephan’s Disgrace, Nathan’s Admonition, Matters of the Heart, Revelation of the Tree, Sophia Saved / Jack = Matters of the Heart

Nobility: Benjamin = 6 (Noble) / Jack = 1 (Unprincipled)

Ingenuity: Benjamin = 3 (Bright) / Jack = 1 (Slow)

Spirituality: Benjamin = 6 (Soulful) / Jack = 4 (Soulful)

Willpower: Benjamin = 0 (Ready for Action) / Jack = 5 (Ready for Action)

Deaths: Benjamin = 1 / Jack = 0

Estate: Both = Lowborn

Reputation: Benjamin = 5 (Modest Position) / Jack = 6 (Modest Position)

Wealth: Both = 4 (Moderate Means)

Unity: Benjamin = 4 (Disagreements) / Jack = 5 (Disagreements)

Heir: Both = Stephan Brante

Gregor Brante: Benjamin = 0 (Indifference) (True Death) / Jack = -2 (Distaste) (True Death)

Robert Brante: Benjamin = +5 (Affection) (No Status) / Jack = +4 (Affection) (No Status)

Lydia Brante: Benjamin = +3 (Sympathy) (Grateful) / Jack = +4 (Affection) (Grateful)

Stephan Brante: Both = +3 (Sympathy) (No Status)

Nathan Brante: Benjamin = +3 (Sympathy) (No Status) / Jack = +2 (Sympathy) (No Status)

Gloria Brante: Benjamin = +1 (Indifference) (No Status) / Jack = +4 (Affection) (Grateful)

Tommas Guerro: Benjamin = +3 (Sympathy) (No Status) / Jack = +1 (Indifference) (No Status)

Sophia: Benjamin = +2 (Sympathy) (Trusting) / Jack = -1 (Indifference) (Embittered)

Augustin El Borne: Both = +1 (Indifference) (No Status)

Octavia Milanidas: Both = 0 (Indifference) (Remembers You)

Jeanne: Benjamin = 0 (Indifference) (Acquainted) / Jack = +1 (Indifference) (Acquainted)

Dorius Otton: Both = -1 (Indifference) (No Status)

Overseer: Both = Archduke Milanidas (0 (Indifference)) (No Status)

Patriarch: Both = Cassius (0 (Indifference)) (No Status)

Power: Both = -3 (Overseer in Power)

Church: Both = -3 (Old Faith)

Wealth of Magra: Both = 7 (Affluence)

Order: Both = 6 (Discontent)