Skater XL or Session?

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Anyone had a chance to compare these yet? Session is on sale and I was considering picking it up but then if Skater XL is the much better product I'll hold off. Or should I just dig out the 360 and play Skate 3 and pretend like it's 2010 still?

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mikewhy

I own both and honestly, I still go back to Skate 3.

Both Session and Skater XL are more involved than Skate. But I would say Skater XL is slightly more forgiving, in that you can still use the left-stick to turn, and it feels more arcade-y.

Session can be much more realistic, and can customize a lot of it, and their approach is different. IIRC, like when building a map in Session, you don't say "this edge is grindable", the game has logic to determine that. How it will turn out, who knows.

Sorry I don't have anything better to say than "try both" but I think that's the best. I go back and forth depending on what had the most recent update. It's still early days for both games.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I didn't even notice, but Session added a "Legacy" control scheme that matches Skate's.

So I would definitely suggest Session over Skater XL right now. The amount of customization options the controls have is insane.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@alias: Yeah, that popped up in my feed on steam and added it to the list.

In the end I just went back and played Skate 3 - seemed silly spending money on an unfinished game that might approximate a game that's finished that I already own. I will definitely pick one or both of these up sometime - I'm just going to wait until they are covered in bit more polish.

annalim9234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Skater Xl more. This skateboard video game trains all players to execute tricks using a combination of controls. You don’t press a single button and wait for your character to do a kickflip. That means from the skating position down to the landing, it’s the player who initiates the movements. This is so great.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I haven't tried Skater XL yet, but have played a good amount of Session, and the biggest thing I have realized is that I can not learn a new control scheme. I played way too much Skate to switch at this point. Even the legacy control option Session added just doesn't work as well as I want it to. I want to love Session and like a lot of what is in there, but what I really want out of a skateboarding game is new levels and the Skate control scheme. I don't need an ultra realistic skateboarding simulator. I want to be able to do the tricks I want, on the spots I want, without feeling like I am learning the tricks in real life.