• 62 results
Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll SNES vs Sega genesis VS N64 VS PS1 (230 votes)

SNES 57%
Sega genesis 17%
N64 13%
PS1 39%

Which console was the best? I think it's a close call between the SNES and the PS1.

• 
Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Snes > Ps1 > Genesis > N64 in that order.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I don't participate in such elementary school debates because I've grown matured and realized that the SNES is the best console ever made, except for maybe the PS2.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

SNES by a mile.

EDIT: More specifically, I think the SNES is my favorite of all-time, the 360 is the only other system that comes close... Between N64 and PS1, I played more games and spent more time with PS1. I still prefer the N64 because of four-player hi-jinks and Mario 64. The Genesis was basically just a system to play Sonic the Hedgehog for me.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played more of the PS1, but some of my best memories of gaming as a kid come from spending time with my SNES.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

SNES and N64

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNES

N64

PS1

Genesis

I still enjoy a good number of N64 games (and SM64 and the Zelda games alone put it up there for me) but I've had no real urge to go back to any PS1 games save the Final Fantasies. Never had a Genesis until a year ago.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

SNES. Highest number of all-time classics. Any franchise's SNES entry is often the best in that series.

After that, probably PS1 and N64. Never owned a Genesis or played one much, so can't really have an opinion there.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Genesis was my first console, so I have fond memories of it, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the PS1.

The SNES is the only one I never personally owned, so I have no nostalgia for it. It had some good games, but little I would rank alongside my favorite PS1 games.

So yeah, PS1 easily.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would say Snes>PS1>Genesis>N64. If you had a PS2 up there, it would be a much bigger debate for the first slot. I also probably played the N64 the most on this list, but it only had a few good games and the rest don't really hold up.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saturn > N64. Yeah I said it

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

N64. Easy.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNES and PSX

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3DO obviously.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

PlayStation 1, best console of all time, come at me!

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

PlayStation 1, best console of all time, come at me!

your not wrong. its the best all around system of all time. its the best of almost every genre.

NES is my favorite console of all time though. mostly because im old and new complicated games confuse me

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a genesis and an n64... I was on the wrong side of history twice.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By agentboolen

I think everyone loves the snes so much because it really did 2d much better then the systems before it with the exception of the Genesis.

The ps1 really feels most like the snes since they pretty much stole the controller design (but there 3d gaming is badley out dated, there 2d games age better).

The Genesis was very exciting for being the 1st 16 bit system and had a huge collection of games.

N64 really was great for its time and imo there 3d games are payable unlike the ps1 3d games. But it did lack 3rd party games.

Basically i think the snes and ps1 are most alike, the n64 was most experimental and the Genesis obviously did what Nintendo didn't.

In conclusion all 4 systems are instant classics and impossible to pick just 1.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Megadrive and PS1. I've owned all of those consoles at some time or another except the n64 which friends had and I played at their houses. I think the sample for this poll is not great enough as most Yanks probably only had a SNES during the 16bit era and that was that. The megadrive is going to be grossly underrepresented.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNES and PS1 without a doubt. I'm still discovering new awesome gems on those systems. I like the N64 too since I grew up with it, but come on, in terms of games the PS1 squashes it.

Also, this poll is kind of weird. It should probably have been SNES vs Genesis/Megadrive and N64 vs PS1 as separate polls.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

SNES, easily.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as long as you dont think the 64 is the best out of those than im ok with your answer

The N64 is the most overrated console/platform/system ever. I am not a fanatic of Rare and Zelda, so it did not do much for me.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By GunstarRed

If I was asked with a gun to my head I'd probably say the Mega Drive, but if I was to put a little more thought into it I'd probably say the SNES. Just by going off of my favourite games ever list SNES would always be the right answer.

I loved the PS1, and have no real fondness outside of a couple of games on the N64, but I just don't think they even deserve to be in the discussion.

If the PS2 was on the list we'd have a real winner.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snes. It had a gigantic library which was only really surpassed by the PS2.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

N64 probably shouldn't be on the list to begin with. It had 3-4 games that were really important landmarks in video games but other than that it didn't have much to offer. Also I don't know how it was in the states but where I'm from N64 games were crazy expensive. I thought PS1 games were expensive, but even as a kid I remember thinking that the price of a new N64 game were just way too much and considering how poor the selection of games was for the system it never seemed like a great system.

Nintendo has made some amazing consoles and games, but in my opinion N64 is a valid contender for a "worst consoles ever made" list.

I voted PS1.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By Hamst3r

The SNES is quite comfortable, seated upon its throne atop the very pinnacle of the mountain, nary even registering the frenzied squeals of the other consoles devotees off somewhere far below, obscured by the clouds.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNES and PS2 are by far the best consoles ever. Just the sheer number of games can't be beat, and the first parties were putting out hot bangers all the time.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNES and PS1 are definitely the two best. I'd rank the N64 higher than the Genesis though. Nothing on the Genesis is better than Ocarina or Mario 64.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of number of quality releases, it's the SNES followed closely by the PS1, with each having huge libraries of all time classics. However, I think the top 5 games on the N64 beat out the top 5 games of any other system ever made.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I clicked them all.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any way for the engineers to find who voted for N64 so those accounts can be banned?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By monetarydread

I have the fondest memories of the SNES, but the PS1 era had better games.

@damodar said:

Is there any way for the engineers to find who voted for N64 so those accounts can be banned?

This
dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't have a SNES or a Megadrive (Genesis). I Had a NES and a Master System even though it was the mid 90's. I've played SNES and Megadrive and I think the SNES is better by far all the Square games like FF and Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. Then you have Zelda, Super Metroid, Mario World and much more. Sega have Sonic and Phantasy Star and that is it.

I didn't have a N64 so Playstation is the obvious choice for me. MGS, Gran Turismo, FF7-9, Star Ocean 2, Tekken and much more.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Claude

I voted for the N64. SNES was cool. Really didn't like the PS1. And the Genesis was meh. If I had to rank them.

1 N64

2 SNES

3 PS1

4 Genesis

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'l be..

SNES if you grew up in the US.

Mega Drive in the UK, possibly EU.

Playstation if you're younger.

N64 if you're crazy, or didn't know any better.

With outliers ofc. Nostalgia and all-time great games.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#36  Edited By isomeri

I was never really exposed to the SNES. My early childhood was spent with the NES and then I jumped straight to the PlayStation once it was released.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By jay_ray

SNES and PS2 are the best consoles of all time.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By alexl86

The first party output puts the SNES ahead of the Genesis/Mega Drive, in my opinion. Yes, Sonic the Hedgehog was really a great game series at one point, but between Mario, Zelda, Metroid and pretty much every else Nintendo put out, Sega simply doesn't have it. Sega had a few third party gems, but overall the SNES library outshines the Genesis.

As for N64 vs. PS1? The first party output was pretty much all that Nintendo had. CD technology was the wave of the future, and the cartridge is likely the reason the N64 didn't fare better. CD is the reason why Resident Evil 2 appeared first on PS1, by two years, and that Final Fantasy only came to the PS1. N64 had some really amazing games, but the PS1 kinda wins by volume. Sure, there was a lot of crap, but there were plenty of gems too.

As for SNES vs. PS1? Polygonal graphics of the 90's have not aged well. Some games look alright, some look weirdly angular and some barely look like what they're supposed to. Couple that with dodgy camera control and tank controls in many games, it's not much fun to play either. Sprites look pretty much as good now as they did then, and movement on a 2D plane is less prone to complications. The resurgence of 2D platformers in recent years, however, have made me realize that there are parallels between the poor controls of early 3D games and 2D games. Be that as it may, playing old SNES games are usually more enjoyable than playing old PS1 games. So, SNES, I guess?

Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed by the complete lack of NES on this list. N64<Mega Drive<PS1<SNES<NES...<PC

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dagas said:

Sega have Sonic and Phantasy Star and that is it.

Did you play any other games and just didn't like them? Megadrive had bonafide classics aplenty:

Streets of Rage 2

Jungle Strike

Landstalker

Combat Cars

Shining Force

Road Rash 2

Ecco the Dolphin

Story of Thor / Beyond Oasis

Soleil

Sub-Terrania

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zefpunk

2D GAMES AGE BETTER, BUT FUCK THAT. THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER CONSOLE LIKE PLAYSTATION. COMBINING TIMELESS CLASSICS WITH THE LAST BASTION OF HIDDEN GEM WEIRD IMPORT STYLE GAMES.

GOT IN AT NES, AND OWNED EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN, BUT NOTHING TICKLED MY GAMING BALLS LIKE THAT WONDERFUL GREY MASTERPIECE.

PLAYSTATION OWNS ALL FOREVER.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think the SNES stays at the top, but as I've been reading "Console Wars" I've gotten a much bigger appreciation for Genesis.

SNES > PS1 > Genesis > N64

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any response is acceptable besides the N64.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for all four

Burn this thing to the fucking ground

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has grown up with all of the major consoles, including the Atari 2600, of that list I'd pick PS1. The PS1 pushed gaming into the mainstream more than any other console before it. It also brought 3D perspective gaming to millions of people who couldn't afford it or knew how to make PC gaming work.

It's the console to me that broke down the barrier of video games being looked at as little kids toy.

Granted there are games on the SNES and genesis that I like more than most PS games but the PS release in history is to big to ignore.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNES. By the time this system was out, people were nailing 2d gameplay.

Unless you grew up in the 90's with a PC with a Voodoo card, early 3d was rough as shit. Take off the nostalgia glasses, and you have games that have frame rates in the teens with dense fog fifteen feet away from you. The only 3d games that worked well were fighting games. Tekken 3 on the PSX was some voodoo magic.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Streets of Rage 2 > Grand Turismo > Marios.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

PS 1 > Waffles > Michelangelo's David > Scarlett Johansson

Scarlett Johansson ≥ PS 1 > Waffles > Michelangelo's David

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All about the Megadrive for me!!!

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By KaneRobot

Genesis all day, and this is a weird poll.

Nothing against the SNES, just had more fun with the Genesis. Music was better on the Genesis as well. That shit goes hard.

PS1 was fine, but even the really good games there haven't aged particularly well. Side effect of everyone being all horny for 3D being a brand new cool thing but not really perfected yet.

N64 generally sucks ass. Ocarina was a good game (that I don't like, but I'm not fighting that battle since it cannot be won), the wrestling games were good. SO much garbage though. Blurry, blurry garbage.