So... 3 GOTY Games are coming out in one year?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

I was looking on the New Games list, and there are 3 GOTY games coming between now the end of the year. How does this make any sense? I remember back when it was just one game that would get that award per year - Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Soulcalibur. Now we have Fallout 3, Gears of War and LittleBigPlanet all in one year!  

Do you think this is publishers getting cocky about their own games, or are these actually based on real life awards like they used to be? I know that LBP won the overall game of the year award from IAA's, which is guess is the official one (although I highly disagree with this - oh well, CoD4 won over Galaxy in 07 so there is obviously something wrong).  

In 2002, BF 1942 won GOTY from IAAs, but Morrowing also released a GOTY edition. In 2005, God of War won GOTY but Oblivion had a GOTY. Now LBP wins it and Fallout 3 is having a GOTY. AND Gears of War 2. LOL It's not that I'm complaining, bring on the included DLC, it's just that it's kinda of like giving out 3 1st place awards. 

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dalai

"Game of the Year" is starting to become way overused much like casual, hardcore, new game plus, party, etc.  It's just a way to grab attention.  I'm sure all 3 of those games won GOTY awards somewhere other than the IAA so they just have to throw that in.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By get2sammyb
@Dalai said:
" "Game of the Year" is starting to become way overused much like casual, hardcore, new game plus, party, etc.  It's just a way to grab attention.  I'm sure all 3 of those games won GOTY awards somewhere other than the IAA so they just have to throw that in. "
Pretty much this. It's just a subtitle they can put on their repackaged game that says "Hey, remember that really fucking awesome game we made that you didn't buy, well now you have to buy it because it's game of the year and we stuck more stuff on it."
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

The IAA's are not the "official" Game of the Years or anything like that. There are literally 100s of publications/websites that compose "Best of" lists by the year's end and I am sure the game's listed all got a few Top places each. For example, Giant Bomb gave Grand Theft Auto IV the GOTY award while IGN gave it to Fallout 3. Gamespot gave it to MGS4; there are many other examples I could list. And besides, Fallout 3 GOTY is a $110 value. I don't think anyone should even question that.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy
@RHCPfan24: Yeah, the Fallout 3 GOTY definitely has the best value of all three. I can't believe how much stuff is gonna be on that.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Otacon

Well there is no official award show for game of the year so as long as an outlet has awarded Game of the Year to a game it can put that on its box.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Afroman269

Take a look at the movies. Each comedy that comes out is named funniest comedy of the year.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

Not all media outlets select the same Game of the Year. There are usually a variety of games that receive that honor, and publishers will use any reason to re-release their game in an attempt to get it more attention. :)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

Well, if you want to also consider the super packaging of re-releases like Halo 3 (with ODST), The Force Unleashed (with Ultimate Sith Edition), and Grand Theft Auto IV (Episodes from Liberty City)...it suffices to say that it's a holiday season of getting everything we got last year. 

It also begs the question:  if they are putting all this DLC on retail discs, then doesn't it defeat the purpose of digital distribution?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Afroman269 said:
" Take a look at the movies. Each comedy that comes out is named funniest comedy of the year. "
You meen that movie everyone is talking about?
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11  Edited By damnboyadvance

GOTY means nothing to me. It could be GOTY, yet still be a horrible game to me.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy
@Bucketdeth said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" Take a look at the movies. Each comedy that comes out is named funniest comedy of the year. "
You meen that movie everyone is talking about? "  
Yeah, the number 1 movie in Canada and United States
nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nrain

The only real GOTY(s) are GTA4 and MGS4. The rest are just good games.
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jakob187: No, because some people still, to this very day when EVERYTHING is online, don't take their console online.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scooper

The worst GOTY edition is Left 4 Dead. It's exactaly the same as the regular edition but patched up to like July. It makes people who're buying it think "Oh I get a better edition then the regular with all the DLC".

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By Sooperspy

it seems that making it a "goty"  is because it makes it easier for people who want to get the dlc since most "GOTY" come with all of the dlc

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xyzygy said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @Afroman269 said:
Yeah, the number 1 movie in Canada and United States "
I love that movie, heard it won best picture.
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By nukesniper

Yeah, I'm too lazy to research it all, but the titles that are earning GotY status here might have gotten it from somewhere. I just enjoy the free DLC thrown in there. 

However, Left 4 Dead is one example of a GotY that I don't really care for. It's included DLC is that free expansion that they gave out for that game. However, this did make all the non-GotY versions of L4D go down in cost.  So, there is where I saved money. 

I really won't care about GotY type games so long as they remain to be of some level of quality. The second Velvet Assassin releases a GotY edition, I say we burn something to the ground...

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By c1337us

Yeh its pretty annoying. But there is not definative source for game award honors so as long as someone somewhere chooses you as the best game of the year I guess they are going to stake a claim and try to sell some more copies. I'll probably get the Fallout 3 one because it comes with the DLC which I havent touched.

Senile_Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Senile_Kyle
Well, game of the year is just a particular media outlet's opinion, and lots of times there are huge disputes within any outlet about what game deserves their GOTY award.  And nowadays, there's almost to many great games overall to narrow it down to one.  

Up until the last 5 years or so, it was usually pretty easy to tell what most people's GOTY was gonna be, now it's a shot in the dark, just depends on the tastes of the people at whatever media outlet. 
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Akeldama

could be PS3 or 360 game of the year. Could be puzzle game of the year. Action adventure game of the year.  

There are many sub categories when it comes to GOTY

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Afroman269
@Bucketdeth said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @Afroman269 said:
Yeah, the number 1 movie in Canada and United States "
I love that movie, heard it won best picture. "
New York Times states that it's the most clever picture this year.
Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pantalooney
@SuperJoe said:
" From now on I'm gonna pronounce GOTY "goatee" to start a horrible trend "
I already do that
Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jerr
@Akeldama said:
" could be PS3 or 360 game of the year. Could be puzzle game of the year. Action adventure game of the year.   There are many sub categories when it comes to GOTY "
Only if you divide them up, I think most of the people in this thread are referring to the overall, best game of the year
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Griddler

Maybe only nominees can say that.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Chokobo

Basically if any website gives their game a GOTY award, they can put it on their box and have it technically be true.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think theyre just putting that tag on games that have won some major award sometime this year