• 65 results
Posted by Burusu (34 posts) -

Or otherwise known as the previous gen. 360, PS3, Wii and PC gaming in those years. Did you felt like gaming was going in the right direction? Any fond memories? Memorable titles that you keep coming back to?

I hate a lot of things that came with new technology, like tacked on online gameplay in most games, developers feeling pressured to include an online component in order to make it seem like you're getting your money's worth, awful optimization in console titles, as in favoring prettier graphics over solid framerate was a step backwards, and one that keeps happening with current gen consoles.

But overall I still loved a lot of other things, the Wii ended up being one of my favorite consoles due to Nintendo keeping most of their games couch-based, reminded me why I started gaming in the first place despite hating motion controls. And I do feel like there were a lot of memorable titles.

So I made a tribute video for previous gen, showing off a multitude of console exclusives and other multiplatform titles, from indie to obscure to mainstream, I made sure to include most games I could, maybe you'll remember some that you've forgotten about. All I can say is I felt extremely nostalgic working on it.

#1 Posted by Sinusoidal (3608 posts) -

It was alright.

#2 Posted by Justin258 (15624 posts) -

There were some pretty awesome games released, though it pales in comparison to the generation that came before it.

#3 Posted by dudeglove (13710 posts) -

This reminded me that Infamous 2, Binary Domain, and Mass Effect all had wonderful supporting characters.

#4 Posted by FrostyRyan (2909 posts) -

It was great.

Video games are great.

#5 Posted by ninnanuam (582 posts) -

If I look at it as objectively as I can, I think its the best gen ever.

#6 Edited by liquiddragon (3297 posts) -

The last gen will be remembered fondly for building great services around the games, especially on the console front. I mean look at the independent scene, no one could've imagined anything like that before. But from a purely software stand point, I always found myself wishing it was like the PS2 days.

#7 Edited by Burusu (34 posts) -
@liquiddragon said:

The last gen will be remembered fondly for building great services around the games, especially on the console front. I mean look at the independent scene, no one could've imagined anything like that before. But from a purely software stand point, I always found myself wishing it was like the PS2 days.

I'm with you on that, PS2 days felt like there were no checklists behind game creation, I believe devs had much more freedom to create something unique. Cutting out double A games has worked against gaming in my opinion, most games nowadays have bloated budgets and devs feel the need to go the ''safe'' route so to speak.

#8 Posted by csl316 (14956 posts) -

It was awesome. PS2-era is when they were trying a ton of new things to really figure out 3D game design. Last-gen is where they really started to refine it.

The 360 is right up there with the PS2 and 16-bit consoles as the best ever, and games really came into their own all over the place.

And 2015, in my opinion, was a top-3 best year ever, and 2016 looks great, as well. Video games are so good now.

#9 Posted by Brendan (9210 posts) -

A lot of big new franchises pushed games in interesting directions, and we got an explosion of small scale creativity in the form of independent development the likes of which we'd never seen before. There are plenty of things to complain about, but last gen had Mass Effect so its good in my book :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
#10 Posted by deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1 (1777 posts) -

It was pretty great but nothing can top 2001-2005 for me. FPS shooters especially MP games went downhill in 06 to13 COD4 pretty much ruined that genre for a long time gaming has kinda been dumbed down starting in that era with regen health worthless perks and upgrades.But even with that said there was alot great new ip's in that gen.

#11 Posted by FacelessVixen (2553 posts) -

I guess it was pretty awesome since I had all three consoles and most of my Steam games are from that time frame.

#12 Posted by sravankb (544 posts) -

Some of my favorite games have come out in the past few years.

AAA games get way too much flak, IMO. There are some things they don't do well (always online, bad business models). But again, they do things that don't happen anywhere else. When it comes to good feeling mechanics and controls, only AAA games seem to get it right.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
#13 Posted by militantfreudian (679 posts) -

If I were to make a list of my favorite games, the list will by and large consist of games that came out during that period.

#14 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (3014 posts) -

Well, considering that period of time had some of my favorite games of all time, I'd say it's pretty good.

Mass Effect trilogy, The Last of Us, Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age Origins, the best Halo game (3), Gears of War trilogy, Bioshock, GTA V, Red Dead, and many more. Last gen had some phenomenal games.

#15 Posted by stayflip (25 posts) -

I think it has to been seen as one of the most important generations, if only for the rse of digital distribution making smaller games viable and easily accessilbe in a way they hadn't been before.

#16 Edited by glots (4268 posts) -

Fun video. I'd say that was probably my favourite gaming period, especially from the console perspective since I bought a PS3 in 2009 when a whole lot of great games started coming out.

#17 Posted by Slag (8157 posts) -

Honestly it was a generation that for me started off very very bleakly. Whole genres I loved (Adventure, 2 Platformers, JRPGs, SRPGs e.g) felt like they were going extinct (or being relegated to Hanhelds) and Motion controls were a big letdown. It seemed like all we were going to get on next gen consoles were shooters and sports games.

But around 2009 or so it started to get a ton better, digital distribution, indies, crowdfuning, multiple pricepoints and business models and by the end it restored my interest and faith in gaming. All in all I'd say it was a better generation than Gen 6 which started off fantastic but really faded towards the end imo.

#18 Posted by CcFfBb (173 posts) -

I enjoyed the 360, PS3, and Wii generation very much. All three systems had games that I enjoyed. One of my favorite games of all time is Super Mario Galaxy 2. I also will remember the first time I saw the water effects in Bioshock. The online play had its moments of fun for me, but it wasn't a feature that I invested a lot of time doing.

#19 Edited by lead_dispencer (534 posts) -

i dont believe that era of video games exist. you cannot prove to me its not a giant conspiracy from the government to warship the devil. just like the dinosaurs!!!

anyways, it was ok. there were lots of heavy hitters from AAA companies that separated themselves from other games. but we did sort of see the B games die out. which is my favorite part about the xbox and ps2 era, i miss the big goofy games that had some charm. indi has come a long way but hopefully this continues a trend in that direction.

#20 Posted by TobbRobb (6579 posts) -

Last gen was A OK. It was the gen where I hit my stride and really figured out a lot about myself and what I like, while I previously just played everything. Most of my favorite games are older than that, but the good ones from the last 10 years were some real hits. I definitely consider Dark Souls and League of Legends extremely influential in my everyday life, in and outside of games.

#21 Posted by MightyDuck (2015 posts) -

It was alright, it definitely had it's moments.

Mass Effect 2, MAG, Dragon Age, Black Ops, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout 3 were definitely some of the highlights for me. That being said, when I look back fondly on the different "generations" I would pick PS1, PS2, and the 16bit days before even mentioning the PS3/360 era.

#22 Edited by monetarydread (2888 posts) -

I think that every generation of games is better than its preceeding generation. Games are not just some piece of art that stays relevant for generations to come. They are intertwined with technological innovation, and because of that, they are subject to a progression in design and function that leaves previous generations almost obsolete.

Despite obvious exceptions, most games on the PSX and N64 are absolute trash when you compare them to even the shittiest games from last generation. Hell, just look at the Demo Derby that showed off the XBOX launch demos; for exmple, the Timesplitters 2 demo. Everyone lost their shit over that game back in the day and there are tons of people online that wont shut up about their fond memories of that game, but you go back to it now and the controls make it almost unplayable. Instead of using the right analogue stick to control your characters aiming, you have to stop, press a button, then use the same joystick that was being used to move to aim your reticle like it was a mouse pointer.

Or how about an old racing game like Burnout 3. I recently tried playing the PS2 version on a tube TV I rediscovered in my basement. I forgot how difficult to see oncoming traffic is in that game. You seriously have six blurry pixels in your view and you have to actually decipher whether that is an oncoming car or a barricade because you cannot tell. I am so used to the higher resolution of todays games that the step backwards in technology makes the game almost entirely unplayable.

Now, thinking back on things, I was wondering whether this is a case of me beoing too comfortable with the convenience of newer tech, but I then remembered that wasn't the case. I have always had these issues and problems, you just tend to forget them and over time you only seem to rmember the good parts. Playing PSX games my friends and I were always saying things like, "hey, wouldn't it be great if we weren't bound by these invisible walls and could actually explore this environment?" or "Man, how come we can't control the camera, that would make jumping between platforms so much easier," or "god, how frustrating is it that I have to wait for two whole minutes of loading in order to play this level?" or even, "why the fuck do these developers expect me to use graph paper to map this shit out? why don't they just include a fucking map?" or lastly, "this game feels way to unfair, it is based entirely on memorization of a pattern that has no relevance to a skill based experience. Its just play a level, die, try level over again, move on to next section then do this all over again."

#23 Posted by Devil240Z (5704 posts) -

I probably prefer 99 to 05.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
#24 Posted by dancinginfernal (624 posts) -

eh

was a'ight

#25 Edited by TheHT (15814 posts) -

It was fuckin fantastic! So many incredible games.

Mass Effect, Demon's Souls, Alan Wake, Saint's Row, Remember Me, Diablo III, Gears of War, Uncharted, Walking Dead, Bastion, Spec Ops, Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher, Sleeping Dogs, Modern Warfare, Hotline Miami, Red Dead Redemption, Civilization V, XCOM, Deus Ex, Super Meat Boy, Journey, Dragon Age, Trials, Burnout Paradise, Assassin's Creed, Just Cause, Hitman, Borderlands, Wipeout, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Bullestorm, Audiosurf, Geometry Wars, Batman, BioShock, Zeno Clash, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Mortal Kombat, Far Cry, Dead Space, The Old Republic, Machinarium, Botanicula, Mark of the Ninja, Gunpoint, Guild Wars 2, Luftrausers, Lumines, L.A. Noire, Dissidia, Heavy Rain, Dragon's Dogma, Bayonetta, Revengeance, Battlefield, Wii Sports, Spelunky, Costume Quest, Mirror's Edge, etc., etc., etc...

Video games just went and kept on being awesome.

#26 Posted by ajamafalous (13815 posts) -

Overall it's probably either the best one or the second best one

#27 Posted by climax (270 posts) -

Good times. Only good times.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
#28 Posted by deactivated-58ca104190dca (324 posts) -

I might have started 2006 with the last console I'll probably own. Had a PS2 at home with a handful of games, Grand Turismo 4, Tekken 5.

I was living between Canada & New Zealand & had a laptop that could run a handful of games, pretty much played civ 4 from what I can remember though. Had it with me while I lived in the UK & then built a PC when I was back in New Zealand in 2008. A friend & I picked up copies of Left 4 Dead & had to install Steam to run it. Pretty much ended being relegated to the corner of video game stores & bought in the new era of PC gaming. That also saw the rise & fall of Microsoft's first attempt to get back into the growing PC market at the time with the terrible GFWL so it'll be interesting to see this next push. Happy to see they're bringing Forza with them this time though.

#29 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7518 posts) -

I liked last generation. In fact, I think I enjoyed more games in the past gen than I did form the PSX and PS2 era.

#30 Posted by fisk0 (6854 posts) -

There were some really high points, most notably in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011 where we got a whole bunch of really good games, I think. Apart from that I don't know, haven't been too excited about any bigger releases in quite a while.

#31 Posted by APDLS (81 posts) -

2006-2011 I loved. 2012-2013 not so much, although the rise of smaller games was welcome, as was the return of the PC.

Xenoblade Game of the Generation.

#32 Edited by MeAuntieNora (1262 posts) -

I feel like it was a very important "generation."

The graphical leap was really striking to me. At the time, when I first saw 360 footage I was pretty much done with console games. But I was quickly overwhelmed by excitement and had to be part of the launch. I ended up playing just about every game in your video (which was awesome and exhaustive, by the way), with the PS3 I got much later and a Wii I "inherited" when my parents got bored of Sports and Wii Fit. Actually your video impressed me, because I definitely did not think I'd be nostalgic about ANY of those games, at least for another decade or so. But it was hard not to get hype about Vanquish, Bayonetta, or Revengeance clips, mashed together so elegantly with stuff like Limbo and Journey. There really were a lot of great games.

Despite enjoying my PS4 I really don't feel like this current generation has hit its stride the way the previous one did. I'm not sure it ever will.

#33 Posted by Maluvin (750 posts) -

Overall it was pretty great in terms of refinement.

We saw a lot of streamlined processes and refinements come into existence which has made a lot of things more accessible for more gamers. In the US increased broadband deployment helped the multiplayer experience move along in interesting ways along with providing the bandwidth for things like digital downloads and moving larger mods. It was a good point in the balance of hardware power to price for both PC and consoles.That's cool.

A lot of game mechanics settled into certain grooves and methods (I think controller focus/standardization made a big difference on that front). I think for the most part that's good but I also worry that it led to some calcification in the design space. Certain designs became too safe and samey especially when it came to sequels. Things like context sensitive controls when used well opened up some interesting gaming possibilities and moments when used well but also led to other moments where games made it look like the player was doing way more than they actually were which leads to an inflated sense of accomplishment from my perspective.

My final thought (and probably the one I consider the most important) is that I think the social experience online got messier. I think you saw way more anonymous people interacting with each other. Not all of that is negative IMO. Found a lot of cool communities and had some really great moments with people online that I just never had back in the 90s as a gamer. Hell, I met my wife from online gaming. But, man, online communication in the middle of games has just been terrible and I feel this era was particularly bad. Aside from the increased interactions from randoms I also wonder if some of it came from expanded communication services without sufficient tools to moderate problematic behavior systemically. Also feel like there was more courting of a certain "bro" contingency in the marketing at times by certain publishers. I'm way more attracted to games like Dark Souls these days where the multiplayer communication is limited to gestures and predefined phrases. If I had more time I'd look for a regular group of people to play with who didn't engage in toxic voice chat (I sometimes do that closer to the holidays) but in my particular situation that's not realistic and hopping in with randoms is just not worth it to me.

Overall though I think it was a good era.

#34 Posted by Burusu (34 posts) -

I feel like it was a very important "generation."

The graphical leap was really striking to me. At the time, when I first saw 360 footage I was pretty much done with console games. But I was quickly overwhelmed by excitement and had to be part of the launch. I ended up playing just about every game in your video (which was awesome and exhaustive, by the way), with the PS3 I got much later and a Wii I "inherited" when my parents got bored of Sports and Wii Fit. Actually your video impressed me, because I definitely did not think I'd be nostalgic about ANY of those games, at least for another decade or so. But it was hard not to get hype about Vanquish, Bayonetta, or Revengeance clips, mashed together so elegantly with stuff like Limbo and Journey. There really were a lot of great games.

Despite enjoying my PS4 I really don't feel like this current generation has hit its stride the way the previous one did. I'm not sure it ever will.

Thank you! I did it specifically with that purpose in mind, when I started working on the video I didn't expect to get nostalgic myself but I did, knowing that at least one person had that feeling as well makes me proud, haha, I wanted to give each game their moment, including smaller titles next to the bigger ones.

Also, if you played either The Void, Yakuza or Binary Domain, consider me impressed as well.

#35 Posted by TheWildCard (694 posts) -

It was great overall. Yeah the ballooning budgets constricted the AAA space sucked and yeah for a time the narrative around the Japanese development scene was really depressing, but the emergence of the indie scene was really important. Not to mention the average quality of games was never better. I don't know if it was my favorite generation, but it was certainly the one I've had the most fun with so far.

#36 Posted by Jblonsk (84 posts) -

It meant more to me moment to moment than this current generation has felt so far. Albeit I just started high school when the previous generation started, I was finally able to start buying games. In addition to this new sense of entitlement over my entertainment, games were coming out all the time and I had a lot of free time. I would rent a new release every weekend and just play the shit out of it. I would overlook any negative quantities I found in the game and just absorb it. Nowadays I have a decent job and could buy every new release but I have this pessimistic view of all of them. Yet at the same time I love buying into the hype so I buy games at 60$ but only end up playing 10-40 hours of them over months/years. I wish I had more time to waste like I did during 2006-2013.

#37 Posted by Cubidog1 (414 posts) -

If you want to talk about the generation with the most amount of fantastic games, this one would easily win.

#38 Edited by MeAuntieNora (1262 posts) -

@burusu: So The Void was the first clip in that video I didn't recognize. Had to look it up and I don't even think I'd heard of it until your post. Awesome art though.

I'm a nerd for Yakuza, going back to the original... yeah... Can't wait for 0, and hoping 6 gets announced for NA soon.

And in line with Giant Bomb canon, I'm a fan of Big Bo. But the unsung hero of Binary Domain is that French robot, I forget his name. Despite it feeling somewhat low budget, Binary Domain was solid... goofy and mostly fun as hell.

#39 Posted by JosephKnows (475 posts) -

The sheer quantity of quality games of different genres makes it the best generation so far. And that's coming from a guy who only really started playing games in that gen in 2013!

The rise of the indie scene more than made up for thd fall of the "B games" tier, which honestly was never that good to begin with.

My personal top 100 list is filled with games from that gen.

#40 Posted by lhson (42 posts) -

This was the generation where I felt the most dissatisfied by gaming. I universally hated every major franchise I tried to play (franchises which were loved by millions of other gamers, which just made me feel alienated). This was when I started to be more critical of everything to do with videogames, which I put down solely to my increasing maturity and experience and not to any actual trends in game design or quality. Just in general I fell out of love with videogames for a damn long time. The rise of indie developers, the increasing availability of interesting games in niche genres, and the slow death of the AAA environment in recent years has been a huge step forward for gaming imo. I would even venture to say that the last 5-7 years or so (which overlaps nicely with this thread's 06-13 focus) is a real golden age for videogames.

#41 Posted by atlfalconsfan (70 posts) -

A lot of great games. Especially The Witcher 1-3, Dragon Age 1-3, Metal Gear Solid, Socom, etc. MY favorite "generation"

#42 Posted by impartialgecko (1941 posts) -

Games started to stand up to other media in terms of maturity and breadth of subject matter during that generation. It was gaming's early twenties.

#43 Edited by bluefish (876 posts) -

It was great.

#44 Posted by sammo21 (5968 posts) -

Other than the Wii it was pretty good. The 360 was pretty strong from beginning to end, overall, and the Ps3 took about 2 years to get going but also ended on a strong note. There are a plethora of great games out there during the last gen. Even the Wii had a couple of decent games but, much like the WiiU, I came out with the opinion I could have skipped the system entirely and not really regretted it much.

#45 Posted by FaulPern (45 posts) -

There is a lot to love and a lot to hate, but most of my favorite games came from the last generation, such as Nier, Mass Effect 2, Saints Row 3, Bayonetta, Persona 4 and others that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

#46 Posted by bassman2112 (1201 posts) -

I believe it is, arguably, one of the most important generations we've yet had. It brought the advent of digital games, indie games on consoles, massive-scale RPGs, the perfection of the console FPS, mature single-player experiences, et cetera. I would say a lot of my all-time favourite games came out of that particular generation, so I think it's hugely important.

#47 Posted by GStats (197 posts) -

Pretty great. Probably my favourite generation actually.

The Last Of US, Dark Souls, Mass Effect 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Galaxy.

These are 5 of my all time favourite games. I doubt any other gen would have an equivalent 5.

#48 Edited by OurSin_360 (6138 posts) -

@atlfalconsfan: ??? Metal gear solid came out in like 98 and socom like 2001? I dont think they are part of that generation.

#49 Posted by frymillstrum (1323 posts) -

I think it will be remembered as the generation that made the blockbuster movie as a video game a thing as well as the rise of the indie game.

#50 Posted by TyrellOCP (486 posts) -

Favourably, primarily because of the people I met through games released during that time period and the memories of online multiplayer games with them.