So how do you feel about gaming from 2006 to 2013?

• 65 results
Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By planetfunksquad

I agree with Jeff.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

@slag said:

Honestly it was a generation that for me started off very very bleakly. Whole genres I loved (Adventure, 2 Platformers, JRPGs, SRPGs e.g) felt like they were going extinct (or being relegated to Hanhelds) and Motion controls were a big letdown. It seemed like all we were going to get on next gen consoles were shooters and sports games.

But around 2009 or so it started to get a ton better, digital distribution, indies, crowdfuning, multiple pricepoints and business models and by the end it restored my interest and faith in gaming. All in all I'd say it was a better generation than Gen 6 which started off fantastic but really faded towards the end imo.

This right here! I loved platformers and those quickly faded away. I guess that's why we regard Super Mario Galaxy so much because it was a genre of games that wasn't very common in that era. Last gen was also way too FP(S) honestly. Still it all worked out in the end and I loved it!

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Very high on it. A solid majority of my favorite games came out in the gen...Oblivion, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout New Vegas, Arkham Asylum, Portal 2, Puzzle Quest

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

2006 is one of the best years for games because of the PS2. After that a down period until 2009/2010/2011 which were all very solid, 2012 kind of sucked, 2013 had the Last of Us, 2014 had Dark Souls 2 which are the best two games of the generation.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Great for everything except the Japanese end of the industry, which seemingly endured a full on collapse.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was the best gen since the SNES days.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think it was the most important generation in terms of defining my taste in games today. Of course I played games before 2006 but it wasn't until the past five years or so that I really got into games.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

It was awesome. Best generation since the SNES!

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By devise22

Secretly the best, and worst generation of video games.

Why is it the best? No other generation compares to the quality of games, the plethora of new IP's, the emergence of new genres and resurrection of old that this past had. The fact that you could make solid objective arguments for nearly 40+ games to be considered game of the generation is crazy. That doesn't even get to the monumental impact so many games have made on the industry of their genres as well. The quality and importance of so many games in this generation is astounding.

But it's still also somehow manages to be the worst. How? It peaked. Video games aren't dying or anything like that. But they have peaked. This generation is responsible for it. At the start of this generation video games, and by extent geek culture was still on the cusp. It was getting more popular, but it was still a long way from everyone and their grandma's understanding in game jokes like "arrow to the knee" etc. Games became hugely, insanely popular in this timeline. It lead to way more game releases, and while so many of them were quality, we also began very quickly realizing potential for a lot of genres of ideas. It has led to things like severe sequel fatigue, even quality games mimicking others successful ideas. It isn't that other generations weren't ripe with iteration over innovation either, it's just that we feel it far more now because of how popular the medium it is, and how many games are released. It has lead us down a dark path honestly. Every new game now, even new IP rarely feels new. Nothing feels fresh, and it has affected people who play games in almost every medium.

I mean it almost feels like everyone is so giddy about VR just because it is at least something to completely change your experience in a game, because as it stands so many new titles are re-skinned re-treads of previous game ideas with the odd new mechanic thrown in. Half the time it isn't even a "new" mechanic either, it's just genre blending and using some of the templates of the best games of each genre to mix and match. So yeah, the generation that was the greatest also helped see the industry in my mind peak, and when you peak things only begin to go down. VR has to be a really really big thing to see an upturn, otherwise I think a lot of the industry is just going to be more of the same.

But I should also state that I feel like this past generation of games will be the easiest of any generation to go back and play old classics. Part of that peak is that graphically, a lot of titles looked good enough that any new steps are generally baby steps. I mean will it really be that hard to return to an HD version of say Mass Effect 2 when new games are in VR and on 4K? Probably not. Games from this era will age a lot easier because of it. Really the only things that won't age are the systems in said games, as it seems like a new industry standard on how to effectively implement various game systems is iterated on each calendar year.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

2006 is one of the best years for games because of the PS2. After that a down period until 2009/2010/2011 which were all very solid, 2012 kind of sucked, 2013 had the Last of Us, 2014 had Dark Souls 2 which are the best two games of the generation.

Honestly, I keep reading that 2012 sucked, and I don't get it at all. XCom, The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, Hotline Miami, Dishonored, FTL, Fez and Sleeping Dogs all came out in 2012. How the hell is that a weak year?

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I enjoyed a lot of games that gen. Probably more than ever. Maybe that's unfair because the gen lasted longer than ever plus it being the first gen that where I was an adult with disposable income, but it is what it is.

Fallout 3, Street Fighter 4, Skyrim, Mass Effect series, Bayonetta, Dragon Age 1, (damn what anyone says) FFXIII, Resident Evil 5, Lost Odyssey, Shadow Complex, Civilization 5, Civilization 4 (came out in 2005 but I didn't really start with until after 2006).

I put what felt like hundreds of hours into games as a kid because we were poor and I didn't have any other choice. This was the first gen where I put hundreds of hours into games because I liked them that much. I had money to buy other games but chose to keep playing these ones over and over.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#63  Edited By Jinoru

Post Orange Box, its became a waiting game. Waiting for HL2:Ep3 and scrounging for any news possible.

Many other games that demanded patience too, some that still do even. The Last Guardian, for one. I keep forgetting that comes out this year.

2013 and 2014 were the years I played games from 2011 to 2012 since I skipped them entirely.

Dark Souls was the best out of that period I have to say. Dark Souls and TT's The Walking Dead

but really, any stretch of years of games that don't have something from Fumito Ueda is going to be a bad stretch of years.

Burusu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Burusu
@jinoru said:

but really, any stretch of years of games that don't have something from Fumito Ueda is going to be a bad stretch of years.

I'm a huge fan of his games and I still think that's a really unfair thing to say about previous gen.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21