So I haven't bought too many new games this fall...

jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

Edited By jhosaphat

They say the fall season for video games officially kicks off once Madden hits retail. Well, if that's the case, I've officially bought only two new console games since then. I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum (leader for GOTY) in August and Beatles Rock Band in September. That's it. It's not because of not having enough cash or anything like that, it's just that I have failed to have anything really grab me enough.  

Buying the Beatles pretty much satisfies any rhythm game wants, so no Guitar Hero 5, DJ Hero, etc. I love Halo but I'm not buying ODST until it's $40 or less. I just don't think it's worth $60. Brutal Legend is simply not my cup of tea, and the reviews of it haven't exactly increased my interest. Borderlands isn't really interesting to me either because it seems to be more of a co-op game and I play by myself usually. I'm also not crazy about it's art style. The cel shading is ok, I'm just not a fan of the art design for the characters. I don't play racing sims, so no Forza 3. I would download the new GTA IV expansion except I haven't finished The Lost and Damned. Dragon Age Origins is not even on my radar. So basically that leaves Uncharted 2. It has gotten great reviews and I'm genuinely interested in it. I primarily play 360 so this game gets put on the Christmas list.  This also goes for God of War collection for PS3.  

As for the rest of the year, Modern Warfare 2 is definitely on the "buy immediately" list. I never played the MP in Call of Duty 4 (shocking, I know) but that's because I was playing Halo 3 MP most of the time. I did not play Left 4 Dead, but I definitely admired it. The general douchebaggery of Xbox Live (Co-op again) kept me from purchasing it. It probably will do the same this time. So it looks like Modern Warfare 2 will be taking up most of my time from Nov 10th until probably Splinter Cell Conviction in late February.
jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jhosaphat

They say the fall season for video games officially kicks off once Madden hits retail. Well, if that's the case, I've officially bought only two new console games since then. I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum (leader for GOTY) in August and Beatles Rock Band in September. That's it. It's not because of not having enough cash or anything like that, it's just that I have failed to have anything really grab me enough.  

Buying the Beatles pretty much satisfies any rhythm game wants, so no Guitar Hero 5, DJ Hero, etc. I love Halo but I'm not buying ODST until it's $40 or less. I just don't think it's worth $60. Brutal Legend is simply not my cup of tea, and the reviews of it haven't exactly increased my interest. Borderlands isn't really interesting to me either because it seems to be more of a co-op game and I play by myself usually. I'm also not crazy about it's art style. The cel shading is ok, I'm just not a fan of the art design for the characters. I don't play racing sims, so no Forza 3. I would download the new GTA IV expansion except I haven't finished The Lost and Damned. Dragon Age Origins is not even on my radar. So basically that leaves Uncharted 2. It has gotten great reviews and I'm genuinely interested in it. I primarily play 360 so this game gets put on the Christmas list.  This also goes for God of War collection for PS3.  

As for the rest of the year, Modern Warfare 2 is definitely on the "buy immediately" list. I never played the MP in Call of Duty 4 (shocking, I know) but that's because I was playing Halo 3 MP most of the time. I did not play Left 4 Dead, but I definitely admired it. The general douchebaggery of Xbox Live (Co-op again) kept me from purchasing it. It probably will do the same this time. So it looks like Modern Warfare 2 will be taking up most of my time from Nov 10th until probably Splinter Cell Conviction in late February.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

I've picked up four new titles since Madden and I have no solid plans to pick up anything else until the new year.  Uncharted 2, Borderlands and MW2 are the only "must haves" for me this season, but I could be turned around on Assassins Creed II as I learn more about it.  Frankly, after E3 when it looked like all the stuff that will be dropping in early 2010 was still on the 2009 calendar, things looked hopeless.  Now that games are more spread out, I feel I can give each game their proper due and squeeze in some second tier titles I might have completely disregarded otherwise.  If you are having trouble finding things to play, then experiment a bit in the bargain bin.  Try something that might not be your normal forte and see how it appeals to you.  Some used games can go for under $10 and as has been discussed that's around the price of a movie ticket these days.  So, if a game keeps you entertained for more that 2 hours, you've got yourself a deal. 

By the way, I play Borderlands alone and I am loving the title.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By VWGTI

Dude, what are you doing?! Pick up Borderlands! It's a blast by yourself.

jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jhosaphat

Admittedly I forgot about Assassin's Creed 2. That's two votes for Borderlands thus far so I may have to reconsider. @PenguinDust  +1 to your avatar, sir. 
SoFuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SoFuLL

I also played a large portion of borderlands by myself and still had a blast.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Willy105

The first game I bought this second half of the year was: Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, a week ago.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Pazy

Ive picked up one new game and that was a gift for my little brother, Risen for Xbox 360.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iam3green

get borderlands it pretty cool game. u don't even have to have a co-op with somebody. u can just play it by urself if u wanted. the game is pretty cool to play. there are like over million different guns to get.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolemnOaf

This year's been weak for gaming.  The only game I had bought before recently was Red Faction and I thought that game had a great concept but terrible execution.  What really did it in for me was the missions where you had to fetch a car and drive it all the way across the map to a specific base for some pointless reason.  That couldn't have been made into a racing mode somehow?  Borderlands and Dragon Age are pretty fantastic, though.  I don't see anything for the rest of the year that really appeals to me, but there might be a suprise or two, who knows.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

While I have picked up a lot of "new" games this fall, I agree about what you said about most of the games. The majority of games I've purchased came out a year or two ago and are now dirt cheap.

With The Beatles: Rock Band, I think you'll be set on music games for a while. GH5 isn't bad, but man, it easily has the worst soundtrack of any of the games so far. I only got it because of the Van Halen deal, which probably wasn't a good move. Let's face it. Too good to be true. GH: Van Halen is pretty poorly made, it just feels so lazy, uninspired, and totally fails to capture any of the fun or excitement that Van Halen was all about. Not to mention almost all of the non-Van-Halen songs are awful. 

I'm not into racing sims either, but man, Dirt 2 is freaking cool. I'd totally recommend it. I don't think it would really qualify as a racing sim exactly, but it's a pretty realistic and fun offroad racing game.

All reviews indicate that Uncharted 2 is a must-have. It may be Modern Warfare's biggest opposition for the title of 2009 GOTY.