So is Burgle my bananas dead then?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ryudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No new episode in almost 3 weeks. Did they just give up on the idea?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks more like a lot of vacations came due and it'll just be back when everyone is available again.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan said on the Beastcast they had to take a break because of holidays but it will be back when everyone is in the office.

Froghourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah holidays, game of the year stuff etc. etc., it will be back I think the same thing happened to Steal my Sunshine too.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't followed the series so I thought that clip of them all cheering and Mike Mahardy almost fainting was the moment they finished the game lol.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@bonelessspirit: it would have been a good note to go out on. Burgle was a good idea with a lot of production work that went into it but they really underestimated how not-fun and boring it is to play. There is no shame in cutting your losses, they do it at GB West all the time when their shows don’t work out or they just don’t feel like doing it. Bring your B Game was actually a cool idea that they axed too early so they can really let Burgle go.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@efesell said:

Looks more like a lot of vacations came due and it'll just be back when everyone is available again.

Unless they announced it dead, there is usually a significant drop in content leading up to the holidays with new games being out, GOTY stuff, and vacations.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yeah I miss Bring Your B-Game but the discussion always devolved into what constitutes a B-Game in the first place, both between the staff and the chat so I can see why they ended it lol. Nobody seemed to come to a consensus.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Humanity

@bonelessspirit: I think they should have just turned it into a running joke and used the show as a vehicle for showcasing games that the general public didn't really care for but they found enjoyable. It was already kind of heading in that direction, but they didn't have the flow down yet and were bringing games even the "driver" wasn't all that interested in playing.

Anyway, there was some sort of promise there. I know there are folks that really like Burgle, but me personally, I find myself always switching to another tab within 10 minutes of the show and doing something on the side because what they are doing doesn't have the same sort of tension or fun that Mario Sunshine had. I mean thats just me of course, I dunno how the general public feels I see both comments of love and dislike.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Abby was on vacation and then Vinny took two weeks off. No conspiracy here.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BonelessSpirit

@humanity: Yeah if they really leaned into the whole bit that could have been golden. Also, the title itself was too good to just dismiss so soon.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By tds418

Burgle is a ridiculous and entertaining fever dream and anybody saying otherwise is a heretic.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burgle My Bananas without Vinny would be a death sentence for the feature.

They’re waiting for him to come back and continue to carry the feature by finding a way to prevent actual gameplay.

Fun fact: Kiki first appeared on GB on the March 2012 Heretofore Unnamed Member Podcast video.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I haven't been on the site much lately, but I was honestly hoping to read this and find that the answer was "yes". Mario Sunshine was a fun game to watch despite its flaws, Donkey Kong 64 is nowhere close.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By glots

@veektarius: Well good news, because this week’s episode was the last one.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it, but the craziness really threw me off sometimes. Plus I have no affinity or background to Donkey Kong Country (never had much Nintendo stuff growing up), so maybe that explains it.

Avatar image for deactivated-610c321d60197
deactivated-610c321d60197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@bonelessspirit: it would have been a good note to go out on. Burgle was a good idea with a lot of production work that went into it but they really underestimated how not-fun and boring it is to play. There is no shame in cutting your losses, they do it at GB West all the time when their shows don’t work out or they just don’t feel like doing it. Bring your B Game was actually a cool idea that they axed too early so they can really let Burgle go.

Bring your B game is underrated. I'd like to have seen them keep it going.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also fun fact Kiki was the mascot of the videotoaster which was one off the first video production software you could run on a home pc. Also she's the wife of the dude who invented the Tricaster (Vinny's favorite toy) also the same dude who invented the videotoaster. It's the same dude who painted the Vermeer really well.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awww, I came here to see the assuredly sarcastic answer from 2 days ago... spoil sports...

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Awww, I came here to see the assuredly sarcastic answer from 2 days ago... spoil sports...

It was just spam.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OurSin_360

I think this show is over right? I think we should just close this thread as it just seems to breed spam bots now lol.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@oursin_360: I'd honestly love to know what about this thread is a lightning rod for SEO spam botters. Is it the thread title (and URL) containing a question mark? They've bumped this particular thread a half dozen times, even when it's buried nowhere near the newest threads, so some cubicle dungeon of spammers either has it bookmarked, or they keep google searching to find it or something.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Been thinking exactly the same thing. It has been kind of fascinating.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@bisonhero: It has been more than half a dozen times. There are 18 deleted spam comments on this thread. No idea why that many spambots have chosen this thread to make their stand. We're probably just going to lock the thread, but a small part of me wants to see how long they keep coming back.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By htr10

WTF with this thread and spam.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giantbomb clearly missed out on a massive marketing opportunity. Burgling Bananas is obviously one of the most profitable ventures out there.

Someone should get Dan on the phone so they can start making those big bucks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least this thread is a good pairing with that other thread asking if Dan left.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@humanity said:

At least this thread is a good pairing with that other thread asking if Dan left.

I was actually wondering if it was the same person.

By the by, Burgle is one of my favorite things ever on the site, but I also loved B-Game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By BisonHero

@eccentrix said:

@humanity said:

I was actually wondering if it was the same person.

By the by, Burgle is one of my favorite things ever on the site, but I also loved B-Game.

I enjoyed Burgle precisely because it was their most poorly conceived, slow motion car crash of a video series. They clearly put so much work into the set and video effects and spin the wheel brainstorming, but then they hated the game, and accidentally assigned "spin the wheel" to an incredibly common occurrence, and hadn't thought through the banana currency/inflation, so the whole series is less than 10 episodes. Also maybe they had to accelerate how soon the series would end once they factored in GotY approaching and knowing that Dan would be leaving the site post-GotY.

Here We Go was pretty good.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Humanity

@bisonhero: I actually need the game to be entertaining as well as the meta layer above it so Burgle became a drag after about two episodes. I’m at that point in my life where I have more money than time when it comes to video games and media in general. When I get home and have a solid 4 free hours to do something before bed, the idea of sitting there half watching that feature and mostly just listening to the banter for half that free time was too much of a waste. This is why I don’t watch Jeff’s Mister streams or why I lost interest in his torturous Mario Special feature, or why I don’t watch the video versions of the Podcasts - I also need the video content to be entertaining not just the fun back and forth between the guys.