So is the "white" version of the site gone?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So yeah i was one of the dudes who used the white background black text, was easier to read for me, although i like the black design, it's more straining for my eyes for some reason, is there a way to go back to the white background or are we stuck with the black one?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd have to agree. White text on a dark background really isn't great for your eyes.

Clenchmask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Jesus, no one responded to this? It's been murdering my eyes for months!

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By Forcen

I feel like they mentioned this on the devcast at some point, I think in one of the later episodes.

If they didn't talk about it then you could always ask in the comments and maybe they will talk about it there or reply to the comment.

EDIT: While you wait for that you could use this userstyle with the addon Stylus.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Back when they did the site change over, there was a giant thread about it. Lots of us didn't like it. They said it was essentially double the work to maintain a light and dark version.

/shrug ..so I woulda ditched the dark version :P

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By nutter

Black vs. White is the Bat vs. Knife of our time...

By the way, always bet on Black...and knife...

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: well u almost got it right. It's obviously black and bat.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Dark Mode Giant Bomb has been my 'go to' mode from the start. In fact as soon as some Taiwan manufacture makes a Vantablack monitor where you feel like the text and images just float in nothingness, the site won't truly being representing Jeff's vision.

You may laugh, but a monitor/screen that could have black levels nearing the Vantablack range would look amazing.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@monkeyking1969: Brah.. thats dem OLEDs.

I've watched stuff in the dark and scenes like the ones in Stranger Things where the girl is in that black void.. It's like she's floating there.

OLED monitors are the dream.. sorta.

Anyway, lot of misguided, confused, dark-cave dwelling evil-doers up in here apparently.

Knife +1

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jamesyfx

It may also be that CBS would want to keep Gamespot as the light one, and Giant Bomb as the dark one, as both sites seem to share the same.. 'base theme' .. ? So no alternate themes.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

At this point, if someone wants a lighter theme that badly, leaning some code and sharing it with Stylish wouldn't be a bad idea.

It's a bit more proactive than just complaining about it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm just glad that dark mode is the one that survived. Whenever I have the option, I always switch on dark mode on sites. It's especially good on Youtube.

Shame that they cut the option, though (apparently ages ago!).

ubernoobNTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YouTube? The Dark theme option is still there, I just checked.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah i'm using the dark theme for youtube, it's easier on the eyes for me. Sucks that GB ditched the other theme even if i'm not going to miss it.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I almost can't stand the black background. I'm a software engineer and I stare at monitors all day and after a while the black background makes everything look so messy and disorganized. I go for the white/light theme whenever possible, and turn the brightness down if it's too much on my eyes.

I'll give GB credit though for saying 'fuckit' and doing what they want.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There were a number of us who couldn't look at the white text without it hurting our eyes. Thankfully the devs adjusted it and it's much better now. Sadly a white theme is but a dream.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I hadn't even thought about it. I always use the black background anyways with white text though. The other way hurt my eyes, especially if I was somewhat tired and sitting in a dark room. Using black backgrounds eliminates a lot of eye strain for me. Interesting to see it's the opposite for some.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be interested to know their metrics for forum usage since they made the switch away from the light theme. Anecdotally it has driven some people away.